“Never Again”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
East Haddam, Connecticut
“Never Again”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon for 8 days. If I felt that I was the only one who felt that this resort was terrible I probably wouldn't be posting this. Every person that I spoke to while we were there complained about how awful the service was. For example, Saturday Morning when I went to make a coffee in our suite, we noticed that the cream was bad. So we called down to the lobby to ask for new cream. We did not get it until Monday night. Also, they say that you can break your money into change at the front desk, incorrect. Every single time I tried, they told me all they had was EC. Even when we went to settle our bill when we left, they paid me our change in EC after I asked her not to. She didn't even make an attempt to try to find american money in the entire lobby! There were two waitstaff that was friendly to us the entire time. The waitstaff at the palms was awful. One morning we completely finished our breakfast before we flagged someone down for coffee. At another restaurant on the other side of the resort, the staff were arguing in front of everyone and one of them quit. If you showed up a little late for lunch a the palms, the staff gives you an attitude. The food in the restaurants that you have to make a reservation at is portion controlled. They did absolutely nothing to make it feel like our honeymoon. When I asked about it they told me my room was nice enough. Which was true to an extent but it was a room I had asked and paid for. Our shower did not work in the room, and they did nothing to try and fix it. It took about 20 minutes to heat up when you actually found the heat spot on the lever that spun around like a fan. The best thing about the trip was the excursions not done through the resort. The food was okay for all inclusive. You eat outside most of the time where birds have nests right above you. It's kind of on the dirty side. As for all of the fried food, they need to offer more vegetables and salads. They had no coconut rum, and they continuously ran out of the island beer, piton. The entertainment was awful! Out of 8 days, one night was great! They played no music during the day except when they did pool aerobics. The next time I go to Saint Lucia, it will not be at this resort. It will be at Sandals. I heard from everyone at the airport who stayed at a Sandals location that they absolutely loved it. This was the worst experience at a resort. We didn't let it ruin our honeymoon, but it could have been so much better! It is a good thing we have great senses of humor, and that we chose to go on excursions because that is what saved our honeymoon.

Room Tip: If you want a suite, prepare to climb a mountain every time you want to get to your room.
6 Thank KSB536
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback about your stay with us. We value guest comments as a way to constantly improve the level of service as a way to deliver a fun-filled memorable vacation experience.

Our staff is our biggest asset and we are proud to have such a dedicated group of service minded individuals working at the resort. It is quite unfortunate that the myriad of concerns you had with your stay were not brought to management's attention prior to your departure as we are very confident that we could have resolved any of your concerns.

We have reviewed our guest comment cards as well as the reviews on online forums and are proud to say that the vast majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy every aspect of our resort as well as our gracious staff.

We do hope that when you consider your next trip to the Caribbean for a relaxing sun-filled vacation you think of St. James's Club Morgan Bay.

We do hope the next time you seek the sun, you will allow St. James's Club Morgan Bay's genuine staff create for you a timeless memory.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,119)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here for five days in March while attending a friend's wedding. The prices were high but not out of the average. This was my first trip outside of the US and Canada (Ironically most of the people I met while there were Canadians, with the exception of a few Americans and a few English).

The weather was beautiful and the scenery was great. I enjoyed the beach which was kept clean and was never crowded.

All of the staff were extremely nice and helpful, going so far as to assist a friend with a sun-burn issue she had and then inquiring about it before we left. The food was on par (from what I have heard) with other all-inclusives and the facilities were very clean and well kept.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nickwhit
Northampton
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We've just returned from 10 days at St James Club to celebrate our honeymoon. Having married in January, we delayed our honeymoon, so have been eargerly awaiting this for several months. From the moment you arrive, you are greeted with a smile (and a fruit or Rum punch!!). Check-in is easy, the keys and room cards are waiting for you and after completing a small form, you are ready to whisked off to your room (by golf cart!). We stayed in room 449, which was some way from the pools and beach, but it didn't matter too much to us. The room had views of the gardens and the sea, which was nice. The pool area is nice, clean and sun beds are plentiful. The beach, although small is nice, again sun beds are plentiful and swaying palms provide much needed shade (if that's what you want!) Like other reviews, the sea is not typically Caribbean, it's murky, but don't let this put you off as a short 5-10 min drive away by Taxi or Bus and you are in Rodney Bay, which is very typically Caribbean and gives you crystal clear water (well worth a visit). The watersports on the resort are all included, which is great. We learned how to sail a Hobbie Cat, used the paddle boats and kayaks. They also provide water skiing lessons and the Banana boat makes a daily appearance!! The resort has 4 restaurants, Palms (Buffet), Bambou, Morgan Pier and Le Jardin (Le Jardin has an additional supplement of $25 pp), but we got one visit complementary because it was our honeymoon. The food in all the restaurants is great and plentiful. If we had to pick a favourite, we'd say we preferred Bambou, but really there is nothing to choose between them. We found the staff across the resort to be very helpful and friendly and always smiling. Worth a mention, if you are planning a day trip, we used COSOL Tours (Find them on Facebook or google), this is very worth while and worth every penny of the $65 pp charge, by far the cheapest tour on the island and they have excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. You get to visit all the major attractions (Banana Plantation, Marigot Bay, Pitons, Sugar Hut beach, snorkelling, plus unlimted bar and food is provided) Overall, we had a truly amazing time at St James Club and St Lucia really is paradise. We would happily recommend this hotel and would return tomorrow!!

3 Thank darrenmichael1981
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a week at St James Club with my boyfriend. This was our first holiday together and we had the most amazing time. When we first arrived we were greeted with a gorgeous glass of rum punch, given our room number and were asked to fill out a form while a member of staff explained all about the resort and how to book dinner reservations etc. we were then took to our room by golf buggy. We stayed in room 1045 which was beautiful and had an incredible view over the sea. We wasted no time in making use of the pools and bar. We spent a lot of time sunbathing on the small but gorgeous private beach and in the pool with swim up bar.
All of the restaurants have a good selection of food and you could not fault the service from the staff. Morgan's Pier was our favourite - very romantic.
We did the tour by land and see which was amazing!! If you chose to do this ask for Richard, he made our trip!
Don't be put off by the 1 1/2 hour transfer time from the airport, the island is beautiful and our driver pointed out things on the way and even stopped to get us a bottle of beer!
Overall we had a lovely stay at this resort with no complaints at all.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jemma S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our stay overall was very nice with the food being to a high standard given our stay was all inclusive. Please note however you do need to book the restaurants in advance as they do become full quite quickly. My suggestion would be to book your chosen restaurant ahead to avoid disappointment which can be done up to three days in advance.

The hotel has four restaurants; The Palm, The Bambou, The Pier and the Le Jardin. The Palm restaurant is the main buffet restaurant which you do not need to book for. The food offered was very good with different themes during the week. The Bambou was our least favourite restaurant due to the slow service which was a shame as the food was very good. We made both our tour rep and the General Manager (GM) aware of our experience and they were very appreciative of the feedback. The Pier restaurant offered amazing views over the sea and was the best situated restaurant out of the four. The menu offered a variety of fish dishes, most of which my husband and I tried, and we were very impressed with the quality and freshness. The only downside was on some occasions the service was a little slow. The Le Jardin is the a la carte restaurant of the hotel which costs USD27 per person (as of May 2013). The food and service was very good and worth the USD27 you pay for.
For lunch you have the option of either eating at the Palm restaurant or eating at the Plum Tree snack bar which was our favourite. The Plum Tree offered a variety of lunches from a set menu and offered a change of scenery if you fancied a change from the Palm restaurant. The location of the Plum Tree is situated near a kids pool. We found this fairly quiet but I can imagine it can get quite noisy in peak season.

The nightly entertainment didn't cater to our tastes most nights and we thought it was a little disappointing and poor in our opinion. The GM did however tell us that they are trying out new acts to see who would be suitable for the resort. With the exception of one or two the majority of staff were very friendly and nice and couldn't do enough for you. Despite the photos in the brochures we thought the beach was a little small. The water isn’t crystal clear due to it being continuously stirred by the waves. We have a theory that this is caused by the construction of the Pier restaurant which doesn’t allow the water to move freely. I went to this hotel before the Pier restaurant was built and the water was much clearer. If you do fancy a nice beach we heard Rodney Bay beach is the place to go which is approximately a 10-15 min taxi ride away.

The wi-fi offered in the resort is very quick and you can access it in the lobby and around the pool. Unfortunately it is not available in the hotel rooms yet but the GM mentioned this is something they are looking this roll out for specific rooms in the near future.

Room Tip: 900-1200 block offers larger better quality rooms but are a few mins walk to the pool and restaurant...
1 Thank ShannonPage
CRAWLEY
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Just writing this on the beach as it has full wifi under the palm trees!
Just completed 8 nights and we feel very relaxed and rested,tanned and very full!
Water sports are great lots of sun loungers but not so many umbrellas.The staff are wonderfully friendly and the restaurants are of a good standard.
Morgans pier restaurant is a great location as is the bamboo restaurant get in early with your bookings if you wan a early slot say 19:30.
The girls enjoyed the aqua aerobics every day and the a pools are nice and large.The rooms are slightly dated but very clean and functional we had 231 which was just behind the bar nice short walk back if you wanted to go back to the suite.
The pool bars close very early around 17:30 which was a shame if you where looking for a sunset drink and a cool off.
Evening entertainment was not good the fashion show was terrible the drinks where sometimes a bit slow but it is the Caribbean.
All in all very good value for money but there is room for improvement,it has recently changed hands and there are things that can make their ratings go up,ie more decent up to date music piped through the resort, I had enough of Bob Marley's greatest hits and out of date Rihanna.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DUNNSTRAVELS
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the third time I have visited Morgan Bay.
Once was in 1995 when there was a hurricane, BWIA were overbooked so Wyndham Morgan Bay was selected for us overnight.
I then visited in 2006 when it was Almond Morgan Bay and had a great time - magnificent room and good food
This time, I was disappointed as, what could easily be a five star hotel, is just a three star hotel with potential. However this is meant as constructive criticism only.
I must admit that the unseasonal 11 days' rain out of 14, was more than disappointing when out of hurricane season, but of course bad weather happens.

1. Accommodation
It is not clearly explained that to access the new part of the hotel, it is a tedious climb through beautifully kept gardens, or alternatively wait for one of the buggies to collect and return.
Some of the drivers were great and had no hesitation in taking us down to the Pier for dinner on wet evenings, others drove like lunatics, reversing into walls and driving very close to the drains, refusing to go any further than reception!
The room and balcony were great.
Also our maid was excellent and housekeeping attended to any minor requests very quickly.
2. Sun loungers
This definitely spoilt the holiday when guests behaved like Germans in Europe by arriving at the pool at 6.30a.m. to reserve the best spots. My partner could not sit in the sun, so a parasol was a necessity!
3. Dinner reservations
This is a definite no-no for the hotel! Having to queue for dinner reservations 48 hours in advance was another disappointment. More disappointing however is that on the day you make the reservation, you are not shown the menu for that particular evening as the menus are changed every two days, then (as happened to us) you end up eating the same menu two nights consecutively just to access the choice of restaurant.
4. Bambou
A definite disappointment with selection of food - why do you not consider offering West Indian cuisine, which is one of the reasons for visiting the Caribbean. If guests wished to eat European food, then I am sure they would visit Europe for their vacation.
5. Le Jardin
We did not eat in this restaurant purely due to the restricted view - I understand that guests sometimes wish to eat in air conditioned comfort when it is very hot, but there is no view whatsoever!
6. Wi-fi
Excellent - this was a great bonus not having to search for a signal. Our internet access was fantastic and I cannot praise this facility highly enough! Being an award winning travel agent for Barbados it is imperative to keep in touch with the outside world.
7. Nightly entertainment
Major disappointment. I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and have never had to endure such abysmal hotel entertainment at night. After a promising start upon our arrival, the entertainment diminished until there was only a DJ most evenings. Guests were going to their rooms just out of sheer boredom!

I must praise the General Manager who we saw around the pool and was impressed with his great professionalism.

Please St James Club, bring the hotel up to standard and this can be a great resort again !

Room Tip: The rooms in the new part of the hotel are lovely but not to be recommended for elderly, infirm etc.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!