“Amazing Vacation”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We just returned from an amazing vacation. We traveled June 9 - June 16, 2012. Morgan Bay Beach Resort is the perfect resort to stay if you are planning a trip to St. Lucia. The resort is nicely laid out and the grounds are beautiful. The food was amazing. The water sports area was loads of fun with hobie sail boats, kayaks, snorkeling, watersking, and padal boats. There are several pools to cool off when you have had enough salt water. The bars were fantastic. The staff was always attentive. They care to make your stay exceptional.

Make sure you book your excursion through the resort, if you want to venture out. We booked snorkeling through the resort and went out with Scuba Steve Diving. Best snorkeling ever!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 300 block. Perfect location. Not too far away from main area for walking to room...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank clynn0000

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Hi we went in May12 and it was great, weather we had rain the first week , but only lost one day !! The hotel it self was being redecorated and we found the rooms fine, comfortable beds, The sea isnt the best near the beach, but you get past that with all the watersports, plus the staff are fantastic , we did a boat trip which we really enjoyed and Zip lining in the rainforest :)))
My only complaint was the buffet restaurant had lots of birds flying in the restaurant in the morning and luch time they really do need to sort that out by netting around the restaurant as they were a pain!!!!!, food was lovely lots of choice also , alcoholic drinks were international which was great too
I read negative stories on here and was nearly going to change my hotel, but im so glad we never as it was great , felt safe there , people were really nice also.

I'd go back to this hotel again .

Room Tip: We were in Block 400 if you have room on 3rd floor it is great , very quiet and the views fantastic...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trinaOxford
Reviewed June 15, 2012

we just visited St. Lucia for the first time from May 17, 2012 through the 21st we actually went for a wedding. The wedding party and most of the guest were staying at the Sandals La toc however they do not allow children and I travel with mine. the brother of the bride and his girl friend stayed at Almond Morgan Bay as well. The people were very friendly not only on the resort but on the island in general. the Ocenview Deluxe rooms were very nice. There were 3 adults and 2 children so we got adjoining rooms so that we could spread out and thaqt worked great. The rooms had a balcony and it was pretty bug free as far as sitting on the balcony at night and enjoying the evening with the sound of the live band wafting up the hill. Yes the Ocenview rooms are up a hill and there is quite a bit of walking but there is a short route to each location once you learn the paths.I rented a car right at the concierge desk and they bring the car to you "great price and good cars". The island is georgeous it has pitons, rainforest, a drive in volcano and the ocean in all directions. The only complaint I have is the water in the ocean at the hotel is not clear enough to see the bottom we lost a camera and had no way of finding it because the water was so cloudy you do not see bottom at all. What was nice is that some of the employees tried to help us find it. I have a lot more of the world to see but I would definitely go back to the food was good although having to make reservations is a hassle to me ( I dont like to plan ahead on vacation at all) the food was very good at the restaurants we ate at. They have one restaurant that is adults only.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 200 and 300 block had really good paths to give short cuts to various locations suc...
Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DCC15
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Excellent staff and beautiful gardens.

Food was OK , but I expected a fish selection that was better than pollock. Mango at breakfast was often unripe, pastries were mostly overcooked . The breakfast/lunch /dinner buffet restuarant - "le jardin" needed a through clean throughout, cupboards lights etc. I do not blame the birds for looking for food that is what they do, but care need to be taken here.
Bambou menu rotates on 3 night basis, but much similarilty between the menus

We expected to have a choice of locations for breakfast and had also been led to believe that there was a room service option... no to both of these.

We paid to upgrade our room on arrival to the 10 block from the 300's and this made a vast difference, we had a few issues but the maintenance man quickly resolved them ( TV , fused lights and toilet that did not flush) .

If you are in the area of block 9,10,11,12 the best pool is the one with Tommys Rum shop, quieter and with great views. a nice one for couples perhaps too quiet for families/groups.

The entertainment was not to our choice, but we could tell that they put there all into it.

If you have booked.. go and enjoy yourself. If you are thinking about it then wait until after September when they will have closed and addressed many of the issues that should have been attended to by previous owners.

The staff could not do enough for us. ( Emma makes great Mojitos) . cannot comment about the management as they were no where to be seen.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks and the bar staff were really friendly and helpful. The watersports were good and so were the staff running them, they were also really friendly and helpful. The main problem was the poor service in some restaurants and the buffet restaurant food for lunch and dinner was very poor. The food in the le jardin restaurant was poor and so was the service before you had to pay for it. When you had to pay the supplement from the 1st of june this all changed, the choice of food, quality of food and the service was really good. If the food would have been to this standard throughout the whole holiday then the standard would have been good. Even though the food was fairly poor we still enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Hannah G
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Morgan Bay for our honeymoon from 5/28/12 to 6/3/12. As a wedding gift, my in-laws let us use their RCI timeshare for a week, and we chose to redeem it at Morgan Bay. We were nervous about the process at first, since every time we called with a question the answers seemed to vary (regarding how we could pay the upgrade fee, whether or not we could get a shuttle, and confirming our day-late checkin), but I soon discovered that the 1-800 number on the website only connects you to the office in the US, and if you want to speak to the resort directly you must call their own number. This costs more money, but was worth it to get answers to our questions.

Upon arrival we got a rum punch and cool towels, and were taken directly to our room. We were in building 9, at the top of a hill, but we did have the best views. The walk to and from the rest of the resort wasn't too bad.

Tuesday morning we took Bernard's Garden Tour (we found this in the events schedule in our room) - it was a wonderful walk around the grounds with a very knowledgable gardener, a great tour that really lets you appreciate all the plants on the island.

We stayed the last week of the high season, and the resort only appeared to be about half full. They were doing renovations in many places, but nothing that ever really got in our way or annoyed us. With the low occupancy, we always had beach towels and chairs under umbrellas, by the pool or the beach.

The food was always very good at dinner; we ate at all four restaurants. Lunch was hit-or-miss for me, I would have liked something a little more formal some days. Breakfast was usually good, and there was always lots of fresh fruit. The bars had a good selection of drinks, and like most reviewers mention, you have to try their BBCs.

The only thing that seemed a little lacking was entertainment - there was one band that played most nights (though they were very good), we would have liked a little more variety or other options, particularly since it gets dark around 6:30 and the pools and beach close at that time as well.

Excursions seemed reasonably priced; we had booked one in advance that Morgan Bay also offered and only saved $10 by doing so, and we booked two other trips once we were there. I also took one trip to the spa, which was not quite as luxurious as spas I've seen at other resorts and cruise ships, but was very reasonably priced and still quite relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SunKissedKate
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Me and my family and friends visited the resort between 20th May and 8th June 2012. From the very beginning of the trip to the very end the resort, staff and st Lucia as a whole was fantastic.

On arrival me and my Partner stayed in the new blocks on the right hand side of the resort. They were very clean, modern and comfortable. Room 1023. The resort was very big, with blacks of room dotted all around. Many people have complained on here about the state of the rooms but i had 28 people arrive on the 25th of may for my wedding at the resort, some families, some couples and some friends and we were all more then happy with the rooms.

The restaurants in the resort were very good offering a variety of food every night and Le Jardin is well worth the $25 surcharge as its very romantic, live piano playing and food outstanding.

The swimming pools were well maintained and the pool bar was great fun to chill out and have a few beers and cocktails in the afternoon/evening. The bar staff were very good overall. You can see the new owners improving the resort all the time putting in new paths, painting and maintaining the wonderful gardens.

As previously stated me and my partner decided to get married at the resort, due to us having so much fun with missed both are meetings with the wedding co-ordinator Pam, however she was brilliant in re-arranging. The wedding day was very relaxed and its a lovely setting overlooking the Caribbean sea. In the evening time we hired out the Morgan's Pier for the reception and the staff were excellent all night.

Before anyone leaves the resort or the island of St Lucia though they must do Joys Cruise. Joy sits on the end of the beach near the pier and offers a day trip to see the volcano, a waterfall the Pitons and a beach BBQ. We had 30 people go on the trip for the day, 27 from my group and a young family. We were picked up on the beach and taken away for the day. This day was the highlight of my trip apart from getting married. The staff were brilliant on the day, Joy gave me and my wife to be a lovely surprise with a cake congratulating us on the marriage and no-one on the 2 boats wanted the day to end.

After the wedding me and my wife moved resorts to the rendezvous which was 5 mins down the road for the honeymoon, however the family stayed, we did visit a couple of times and the staff and resort were very friendly and it wasn't a problem to see us in the resort even though we were staying somewhere else, even asking us if we were enjoying the rendezvous!!

The resort and overall experience was excellent and i would love to go back on day.

Room Tip: The rooms on the right hand side of the resort are the new rooms built in 2007. We stayed in room 10...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!