“Definitely worth checking out, get ready to dance”

Gros Islet Street Party
and up
St Lucia Gros Islet Street Party with Private Transport
Ranked #1 of 46 things to do in Gros Islet
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I read about this in a AAA guidebook and didn't quite know what to expect. I also wasn't sure if this was the type of thing that the whole family, with whom I was traveling, should go to.

I'm very glad I went, and I'm also glad we left the home-body parents and the under-18s at home. This event is definitely geared towards a partying crowd. But that's not to say that you can't have fun if you don't drink or dance! There's unbelievable street food, the music is loud and infectious, its a great time to soak up some local culture, but I think the parents would have been overloaded and the youngin's bored. For us 30-somethings we had a blast!

Our driver Hugo of Hugo Tours (the best!!) took us right into the heart of it to his friend Kyle's Bar, which has a gorgeous wrap-around deck where the dj was set up. You can either buy drinks at the bars or from the various street vendors hawking homemade spiced rum and local beers from coolers and folding tables.

The music is mainly American pop but there's some great island hip-hop, samba and reggae thrown in. There were about 200 people packed into one intersection, and most of them were dancing. The ladies in my group wanted to go dance but the fellas weren't feeling it, so they would keep an eye on us from afar. There were some guys appearing to be local who would persistently come and try to dance with you, but most were respectful if you simply waved them off. If I wasn't married I would've loved to have danced with many of these guys who were obviously harmless and there just to have fun.

We didn't have any safety concerns while there, but we also didn't bring any purses. I could see how there could be flare-ups as there is plenty of alcohol and it goes into the wee hours of the morn, but if you use your head you'll have a great time and be fine!

1  Thank Bridglet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Great night out, loved everything. The local people are great, fabulous dancers. Good food and good fun.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Enjoyed the "jump up" at Gros Islet and well worth a visit on a Friday night. We had some street food which was OK but not great and you might wish to consider Falvours of the Grill if you are in the area. You felt safe and there was certainly no problem, but I would recommend sticking to the main streets...enjoy!

1  Thank newboldi
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The carribean 's really know how to party, we caught the local bus to Gros Islet and had a great time dancing and eating with the locals, ENJOY!!! We did and we are in our 60's

2  Thank tina_shardlow
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I LOVED the food and chatting up some good people. The music they played was enjoyable and there was a lot of dancing going on

2  Thank KatTraveller83