“Home away from Home & then some!”

Hotel Chez Marie Alish
Ranked #6 of 15 Gros Islet B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2008

This beautiful property and the gracious owners (Mr. & Mrs. Castro & family) were referred by a friend who lives near by. It was the best choice that we had ever made. After staying in the larger Hotels for the past 8 years, this by far was the most enjoyable & comfortable place we've stayed. Anything we needed was immediately dealt with, with a smile! It's quiet & peaceful, yet not too far from the action should you desire that kinda thing. A short (cheap!) bus ride down to Rodney Bay or a short walk into Gros Islet for the Jump Up on Friday Night.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank S.L.wannabee
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chez Marie Alish

Reviewed April 6, 2008

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we chose Chez Marie Alish for our short vacation to St. Lucia. It was a clean, cozy guest house with a beautiful garden and a wonderful view from the balcony where my husband and I spent many early mornings and late evenings enjoying the sounds of the Gros Islet village life. The rooms are more than adequate with full self-catering facilities and the fresh plants and flowers along with the lovely wicker furniture add a very homey touch.

Hosts Mr. & Mrs. Louis were very accommodating and went all out to ensure that we had a wonderful stay.

From dawn the adjacent bread shop opened and the smell of freshly baked bread stimulated the olfactory senses of all in close proximity and awakened every other sense once one tried the delicious local bread plain, with butter, cheese, luncheon meat or a combination of all. Needless to say, I did not leave without taking some back home.

The restaurant across the street in the Steel Pan Yard offered excellent local food for breakfast and lunch and a wide variety of drinks. Although I did not get the name of the cook...both she and Anisa who assisted her were very friendly and always apprised me of the menu for the day. Try the fish and cocoa tea for breakfast. Lambi or conch stew with ground provisions, macaroni pie and rice for lunch was absolutely delicious and on my last day, I could not leave without the tasty fish broth or 'braff' as the locals pronounce it.

Other local restaurants are in close proximity of the property and a few minutes away is Rodney Bay where there is a plethora of fine dining or fast food restaurants.

In Castries town, about 15 minutes away I had a delicious beef tripe soup from the food court in local craft market. Beef kidney kebabs were delightful at Gros Islet Street Party which was just down the road from the hotel. Choose from snapper, lambi, chicken or other meats on the grill and have a Piton beer at one of the many bars there. Join the street party too if that's your thing...tourists join in with the locals and have a great time.

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank Tigerlady15
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I stayed there for one week. It was definately too short a time.

I would have to start that the hospitality and friendliness of Mr. Castro and Ms Jeanette are unsurpassed. Kind, genuine and helpful. They made arrangements for day trips, and tips on where to visit and even accompanying another guest and myself, for instance, to a local outdoor fish restaurant by the edge of the marina. Just- caught, grilled red snapper, friendly people and music ranging from country and western to calypso playing under a canopy of stars so bright you couldn't imagine being any where else.

The apartments are thoughtfully designed. Fresh flowers and plants in the rooms make rooms feel so alive. Paintings depicting the island decorate the walls along with colorful drapery and bedding. The kitchenette was very functional having all the cooking necessities. I stayed on the second floor with balcony which was one of my favorite places especially at sunset. A great place to sit and chat, read or listen to the unique sounds of the day or night.
The windows have mesh screens which is nice to catch the breeze. At night, I sometimes used the air conditioner which was whisper quiet.

If you are not much of cook, restaurants are anywhere from a one minute walk (Sonia's Place-- very good) to a ten minute walk (Rodney Bay Marina). Be sure to taste fresh baked Creole bread from the shop next to the apartments-- the bread and cheese is popular as well as the custard. A fruit and vegetable vendor was right across the street, be sure to pick up some bananas.

For those that need computer, there is an internet cafe two doors down that I found very helpful when wanting to get a quick message back to home.

The beach is only a 10 to 15 minute walk down the main street of Gros Islet. Visited it about 4 times, and it was quiet each time. It was nice talking with some of the locals and visitors alike. On Sundays, there are small barbeque and drink stands. White sand and blue clear water. There is a nice view of Pigeon Island and Reduit beach from there.

Pigeon Island you can walk to get there. Being so close, happily visited twice. The beach there is quaint as well.

The Pitons are simply breathtaking, and Soufriere, Anse la Raye, Marigot Bay, Morne Fortun saw by car. Very nice as you get to travel along at your own pace and stop if something in particular interests you. Try hearty cassava bread at Plas Cassav. I took the1A jitney van to Castries and back. A highlight was to see Dunstan St. Omer art work at the church. The 1A also goes to Rodney Bay and Marina and shopping areas in between.

If you're looking for a nice, comfortable place to stay; look no further. A wonderful opportunity to get a feel for the island and its lovely people.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Bluealb
Reviewed January 30, 2008

We planned to stay at this hotel just one week as an emergency last minute change of plan. However, due to the location between Reduit beach and Pigeon Point, and it's proximity to the marina, coupled with the Friday night 'Jump Up' down the road at Gros Islet and most importantly the warm welcome and genuine hospitality from the husband and wife team - Mr and Mrs 'Castro' - we had no urge to look elsewhere. Mr Castro in particular went out of his way to be helpful, i.e. taking us to a barbecue on the beach in his pick up, helping us with our plans to travel to Soufriere for our wedding and many other little kindnesses to numerous to mention. The rooms are lovely, and kept very clean by the staff, the garden is pretty and well tended and nothing is too much trouble for this lovely couple. It is also worth mentioning the fresh fruit and veg vendors across the road from the hotel who are a must for all self caterers. You can't beat their refreshing coconut water first thing in the morning.
I can't recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Nearly-weds
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I stayed at Chez Marie Alish from June 1-7, 2007. This place was just ideal for a much needed vacation. I had originally booked another hotel online but when I saw the reviews I decided to go with Chez Marie Alish and I am glad I did. The hotel is just as it appears on the website and the apartments are neat and clean and the service is impeccable. The buses pass right in front of the hotel and a mall is a mere 15 min walk from the apartments. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to just about anyone.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Staciaish
Reviewed May 20, 2007

What can I say about this gem except that the owners Mr Louis and his wife Jeanette are 1st class. They acoommodated all of our needs and then some. This is the type of service that you would expect from an A* hotel. If they did not have what you wanted they made sure it was there for your stay. I consider myself to be a very picky person when it comes to accommodation and I had a miriad of questions for Mr Louis in my emails which he answered with no delay and reassured me on everything. There was nothing we required when we stayed at Chez Marie not even a CD player which Mr Louis so kindly provided. I must admit my partner and I were very impressed with the service and hospitality of the owners, the maid service provided was also superb. If you are going to the Jazz festival this is the perfect location on the north side of the Island everything is easy to get to, the mini buses stop right outside the hotel and drop you back there, so there's no long walks to catch a bus. The beach is 15 minutes walk and the sea is so calm. When you have finished your swim there are showers facilities for use at a cost of $1.00EC then you can stroll back up to the hotel if you don't decide to stop off for something to eat.There are a few resturants close by that serve very good food. I must make you aware that there is a steel band rehersal hall across from the hotel which practices on a Friday in the evening but that just adds to the whole experience. Mini buses do start early in the morning which can be heard as the hotel is on a road that is used frequently, but you get use to it. The apartments are spotless and you have balcony that you can sit out on and listen to the locals chit chat whilst your relaxing or playing cards. I would highly recommend this hotel as you will not be disappointed with the A1 service that is provided. If you are looking for very reasonbly priced, clean, self catering accommodation with extremly courteous owners then look no further, simple but so very nice. I have taken a couple of photo's but I don't think it does the view justice.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Orlene123
Reviewed May 3, 2007

We were there during the World Cup Cricket 2007 and had a wonderful stay at Chez Marie Alish. The owner Mr Louis is an excellent host and extremely accomodating - he was even kind enough to drive my boyfriend to the golf club one afternoon. The apartments contain everything you need and are right across the road from a wonderful steel drum yard. It is also in a great location - the bus to Rodney Bay (approx 3 min bus ride) and Castries (approx 20min) stops right outside the apartments and it is an easy 5 minuite walk to Gros Islet. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2007
#5 of 8 in Soufriere
Somewhere Special Guesthouse
Somewhere Special Guesthouse
#12 of 15 in Gros Islet

Been to Hotel Chez Marie Alish? Share your experiences!