“Home away from Home”
Review of blu St Lucia

blu St Lucia
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I am excited to be returning to the Blu St. Lucia for the 3rd time in less than 12 months. My first visit to the Blu was by chance in October 2013. I saw the pictures of this beautiful 72 room boutique hotel and was intrigued. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly greeted and offered a complimentary beverage. I was immediately taken by the friendliness of the staff, and the open and airy ambiance.

After settling in, we decided to stay on property to eat. Upon learning that I was a vegan, chef Lawrence had me write down the food items that I would eat. To my pleasant surprise, he went shopping and prepared meals all week according to my list and would also buy special treats to my liking. Following each meal, he would check to make sure it was to our liking...each meal was delicious.

I then had the opportunity to experience a chocolate massage by the Spa manager Neil Charles. Although I thought I was not a chocolate lover, this spa experience changed my mind. It was "delicious" and intoxicating. I was relaxed for hours and kept smelling my skin.

When it was time to leave, there was a sadness as if we were leaving new found family members.
We knew we would return to stay at the Blu for our annual trip to the Art & Jazz Festival in May 2014.

Upon our arrival in May, Cindie, the property manager, and all of the staff made us feel so welcomed and loved. It was like coming home! Once again, we received attentiveness to our dietary needs as well as our special requests and accommodations. Cindie and the other staff members checked on us regularly and made sure we were well taken care of throughout our stay.

It is because of this attentiveness and genuine caring that we will return to the Blu St. Lucia again in July 2014. The Blu has definitely become our home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 20, 2014

My Husband and I just stayed at Blu St. Lucia for two weeks in June while celebrating our 26th Wedding Anniversary! Upon arrival we had complimentary rum punch and Andy escorted us to our room on the 3rd floor (305)-32 steps-no elevator-great exercise! with a nice view of the pool and entire complex.
Cindy, the Hotel Manager and her staff, especially Cathy, made our June 11th 26th Anniversary dinner very romantic and special. We ate under a romanticly-lit Gazebo by the beautiful pool with pastel ribbons on our chairs and mini heart confetti!! The Management and staff even gave us a beautiful card!! When we arrived after dinner to our room our bed was beautifully and romantically decorated with flowers and swan shaped towels!! Very creative and special!! We attended a Management cocktail party which was a nice touch and great to meet them! Special thanks to Martha (Housekeeping Manager) and Erin (Front Desk Manager) for their attentiveness in addition to Cindy's!!

The room was cozy with nice furnishings and a luxurious King size bed with fluffy pillows and comforter. Friday-Sunday til 2am there is noise from the Happy Day bar nearby so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper...this can't be helped. Request a room far from tennis court side if it will bother you. We joined the action there on Friday night as they also had a nice barbecue where they made a Chicken/Pork meal. At all times coffee/tea was available using the Lavazza coffee maker. Electricity was mostly 110 but 220 was available for European guests. The bathroom though small was adequate and the shower had all the essentials-conditioner, shampoo and body wash available via dispensers. Beach towels were provided. Only issue was the dripping showerhead which though reported was not fixed. The safe was easy to use and the mini refrig. was good to have. No problem with drinking the water from the tap as it is filtered! Ice with bucket can be obtained upon request at the bar. There were some miniscule ants but if you kept place free of food/sugar etc to attract them it wasn't a big problem...Also if you get bitten by no see ums/mosquitos bring both bug spray and bug bite meds/cream. Sunscreen and glasses are essential as sun is strong so if you are fair/don't tan be mindful of it!! The pool was very unique and we enjoyed if immensely!! We were glad they attended to it daily and kept it cleaned and filtered (although filter was broken a few days). The drinks (with/without alcohol) were delicious and I tried almost all of them!! Popcorn in the PM is made upon request esp. in the low season...HQ/snack bar salads and sandwiches hit the spot!! We left tip for housekeeping with front desk when we left.

The GL supermarket and maill was a 15 minute, 1 mile walk away or the cab ride $10US each way. Has everything - local and US and alcohol. There is a great gift shop a few doors down from the diner. I bought hot sauce (Baron's) cheapest at the GL market. Every morning we had a full breakfast/buffet which was delicious. We had most of our meals there also-lunch and dinner which were delicious and the price was reasonable!! Our servers we want to thank and appreciate were Chanta, Samantha, Cathy, Dylan and their Manager, Rodney. I made friends with the two resident kitty cats - "Blu" calico and her boyfriend I called "Blu Boy" a stray with orange white coat - we are past dog owners and currently Euromastyz lizard owners. The catamaran all day trip was recommended by other guests but we chose to just chill out and relax vs venturing too far from the resort although concierge had tons of info/trips. There were many restaurants nearby recommended by other guests-steak, indian food plus the two beach sites-Hi Tide/Pebbles and Spinnakers-again we preferred the resort mostly! Feel free to tip more than the 10% and make friends with the staff as they reciprocate!!

Beach- the water was clean and crystal clear. Blu provided beach passes for the umbrella and two chairs located between Pebbles and Spinnakers bars. If you use beach by Bay Garden resort just put items on tree/towel on sand as chairs aren't for non-guests. It can be very hot 11-3pm and the umbrella may not be enough shade. The sand was hot and not as white as other islands but the scenery was beautiful. The locals do sell items on the beach just haggle for items you want and be firm if you aren't buying!! We bought Roti's and cakes on the beach from Liz and Wizard sold us a beautifully carved wind chime made of coconut and bamboo!

The cab ride was rough and long (2 hours with traffic and 1.5 without) $85US plus tip. I recommend a non-drowsy motion sickness pill 1 hour before plane lands/you depart as it is up and down mountains and switchbacks-got ill going back to airport! Although 25 miles it is not a straight commute by any means- most resorts are on the Norh/Mid part of island vs South where airport is.Again a big thank you to Cindy and all the staff for making our stay the most memorable and pleasurable-we hope to see you all in the near future!!

Room Tip: Rooms on top have nice views but no elevator. Pick room farthest from Tennis Courts if you are sens...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CharmGeorgia
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel serviced in a 1st class manner. You will know love and affection by staying here.

I wish to thank all involved for making our 26th wedding anniversary so special.

With best wishes.

John

PS) We will be back in four weeks, that's how good you guys are...I really want to go to Anguilla but, you have our hearts.

Room Tip: The cab ride is very curvy...take bonine or some sort of motion sickness pill. My Wife puked 1/2 way...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2014

After staying at Bay Garden Inn for 5 days they would not let me check out without penalty even though the rooms was HORRIBLE WORST experience I ever had at a hotel someone told me about the BLU I went over there and ask the front desk can I take a look at the property and look at a room wow I was happy the place was clean and up to date staff was grate and breakfast was free so was wifi and last way less expensive than the Bay Garden Inn I stay there for 6 days I have no complain hats off to the cook and the staff looking forward to go back in July

Room Tip: I had a room on the ground level in front of the pool I think those room are the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The staff and mgmt were very helpful and the location was right next to the beach and a few nice restaurants, so suited our week there perfectly. The breakfast was plentiful and the banana break was addictive!

The only thing that stopped it being 5 stars is that the bathroom was tired and in need of updating, but I understand the whole place is undergoing a refurb, so that's a non-issue for future guests.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbed ones
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This hotel just goes to prove that big is not necessarily better, here is a small boutique hotel with the service and quality of a 5 star classed hotel. The blu is second to none, with the family vibes that it offers, also the staff are excellent and out of this world, they all have a good attitude to their work and are prepared to go beyond and above the call of duty, all done with a big smile on their faces, i named them the smiling crew, as they were always happy and smiling, some were even singing whilst working................what more could you ask for. The hotel itself is beautiful, very clean and the fact that rooms were cleaned everyday was a bonus, as from experience this is only done at 4/5 star hotels. The rooms are close to most of the amenities needed, the beach is a stone throw and the mall is a 5 minute walk. Breakfast at the blu is excellent; a mixture of English and Caribbean was to die for...........i still dream about it.
Most importantly Miss Cindie finisterre is an exceptional hotel manager, who went out of her way to make sure we had a brilliant and comfortable stay at the hotel, your patience and helpfulness was appreciated and welcomed.
All in all, our stay in st. Lucia was made exceptionally nice due to the fact that the hotel we stayed at was exceptionally nice.................here is to the blue, hope to return again.

Room Tip: junior suite rooms are good value for money
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank shola s
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Blu from the 28th April - 8th May. Please note we checked out the reviews prior to booking at Blu and have read the most recent ones too so we are able to give you a very REAL review. On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff who advised us that we get a complimentary welcome drink and was offered a choice of fruit or rum punch. We were then shown to our room (314) which we were advised had the best view then realised we had to make our way up a number of flight of stairs. First impressions of our room was good though as per the other reviews the bathroom was in need of updating. Later on in the evening we noticed that we weren't the only ones staying in that room as we had been joined by a small army of insects. They must of heard how comfortable our beds were but we was not planning on sharing! This was reported to reception who did not seem to be too concerned but arranged for a member of staff to spray the room. This did seem to help so we did not move rooms however we were visited by them again later on during our stay. It was also my birthday on our arrival date however the hotel did nothing to recognise this which was very disappointing.

Moving on to the food we stayed all inclusive. Other reviews have not reccomended this option but if you feel exhausted by the sun and full of various types of cocktails it does come in handy. We definitely enjoyed the drinks and made a very good effort in trying all the drinks in the menu. We enjoyed the breakfast which did consist of eggs made to order, sausages, bakes, beans etc. We thought there was a good variety of food though more carribean options would have been nice, however when we asked the chef for bakes and saltfish they were there the next morning. Lunch involved different types of burgers and grilled sandwiches which we enjoyed but wished the menu would have changed more frequently as it was literally the same menu for the first week we were there. Dinner again what we had was good but due to the menu not changing we chose to eat elsewhere.

Not sure what all this talk was about loud music from the street party in Gros Islet...we were too busy dancing there so not sure how this affected the hotel and it was a fair distance away. Yes there is a bar near by which do Karaoke (Happy Bar?) where all the wannabe Celines and Whitneys go but there is no reason why this should keep you awake. The best food we ate was at the street party so be sure to check it out (20EC from Blu to Gros Islet you should not be charged more than this).

Now on to the staff......all kitchen staff, bar staff and waiters/waitresses, cleaners the customer service was first class! They could not do enuff! We would like to give a special mention to Big Chef, Chantelle, Samantha, Simona, Dillon, DJ (can't remember your name, sorry) and last but not least Kathy!! Keep doing what you do and thank you for taking care of us! As for the staff on reception if you need any assistance just ask the restaurant staff because you probably will get more help and a service with a lovely smile or speak to Karen who manages the excursions. Or speak to Kathy did I mention Kathy?

Would we stay here again? Yes we would. The hotel is in a good location, minutes away from the beach and a 10 min walk to Rodney Bay Mall and other restaurants and Kathy....we can't forget Kathy. What would have been nice is some form of arranged transport for people going to the jazz fest events. We was lucky enuff to have a wonderful tour rep Sasha who hooked us up but definitely sumthin for the Blu to think about. Also being all inclusive we had to sign a receipt after every lunch, dinner and drinks we had which makes you feel like there is some form of hidden charges. We would suggest introducing different colour wristbands to reflect what board people are and asking for the room number.

If you get a chance we would definitely reccomend the trip to Soufriere by Jeep and back by Catamaran (ask for Wayne and his crew, you'll be laughing from the beginning to the end), the helicopter tour and ask about the distillers where you can try the rums before you buy at a cheaper rate. Also check out the markets in Castries where you can get your fruit and souvenirs (1A Bus from Rodney Bay Mall 2EC per person one way.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms (2nd floor) have nice balconies.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa

Been to blu St Lucia? Share your experiences!