“what an experience”

Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“what an experience”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

going swimming with the horses bare back in the sea was great although prepare for bruises ;) lol!!!

Visited September 2011

Bowling Green, Ky
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice Ride... but don't buy the drinks (ripoff)!”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

When we stepped off of the ship in St. Lucia, we visited the Information Desk to ask about horseback riding and they contacted Holiday Riding by phone. The trip to the stables was pretty quick, 25 minutes, (by taxi) and was included in the $60/pp fee (2 hr ride to beach and into water). When we arrived, the horses were saddled and ready to go. Within a few minutes, we had our mandatory helmets on and adjusted and we were mounted. There were 4 in my family and 1 guide on this trip. We rode about 10 minutes through the neighborhood streets before getting to a real trail. Since my wife is inexperienced, the guide tied a rope to her horse and led him for the first 20 minutes. During this time, my horse, "Bob", seemed to be having discomfort and would try to buck a little. This happened over and over, the guide instructed me to jerk the reins when Bob misbehaved. Once we stopped and the guide loosened the saddle on Bob and moved it forward. This seemed to help for a minute, but then Bob started acting up again, bucking every few minutes. Finally, the guide hooked onto my horse and led him to the beach. I have ridden for 30 years, so I didn't like the idea of being led, but Bob calmed down once he was on a lead. Once at the beach, we dismounted and went into a little beach bar and the guide encouraged us to get a drink. WATCH OUT! This is a scam, unless properly managed. The bartender will gladly pour you a very small rum punch and offer you/your kids a soda. The price for 2 (4 oz) rum punches and 2 (12 oz) sodas - $27 USD. I believe you could get for a reasonable price if you ask the prices first, but hey... once you drink the koolaid you gotta pay! Needless to say, I didn't tip. Once we finished our overpriced drinks, our guide removed 3 of the 5 saddles and with the guide supervising, we went into the ocean 2 at a time. I really liked this part of the trip and so did Bob! We went in until water was over the horses back, so prepare to get wet! We came back to the beach and then my daughters (14 and 11) also went in. During the ride, the guide was assessing our riding skills and my 11 year old daughter asked to canter/gallop. The guide agreed and my daughters took off, full speed, along the 1/2 mile deserted beach and disappeared into the trial. Not being able to see my daughters, the guide took off like a bolt and caught up to them a minute later, leaving me and my wife walking along the beach on our horses. The trip home was a bit better since Bob didn't buck and didn't need to be led. All things considered, the trip was very good, the price reasonable and the guide was accomodating, which I rewarded with a $30 tip. I would definitely use them again, but I wouldn't buy any drinks from the beach bar. I did email Holiday Riding to let them know about the beach bar situation so they could address the situation.

Visited October 2011