“Not Awesome.”

Trim's National Riding Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Whether you're an experienced rider or new to horseback riding, our staff will pair you with a horse that will ensure you have the best experience on this adventure. Enjoy a horseback riding tour through the hillside trails and along Cas En Bas Beach on the north-east coast of St.Lucia. We offer 1 and 2 hour Beach Rides, 4 hour BBQ Beach Rides and horse carriage rentals for weddings and other special occasions. We are conveniently located near the popular resorts like Royalton Resort ,Sandals Grande, Landings and St James. We provide complementary transportation from the cruise ship terminal and other hotels in the north near Castries, Gros-Islet and Cap Estate. We invite you to spend some time with our friendly horses at Cas En Bas Beach. Please contact us for any special requests.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This review isn't intended to hurt Trim's specifically, it's probably representative of all riding places in the Caribbean, particularly if you're a horse person.

Pros:

- They have riding helmets and every guest must wear them.
- Our guide was nice.
- The horses were okay, maybe could have used a bit more weight but they were adequately cared for.

Cons:

- The ride to the beach was down the back roads, it was very hilly and scary for my boyfriend who has ridden only once before in his life. It was rocky and semi-paved.

- We were taken specifically to stop at a beach house where friends of Trim's pressured you to buy things. We didn't have any cash on us and had not anticipated this as part of the ride and felt very uncomfortable.

- Our guide never moved faster than a walk on his horse and didn't offer me the opportunity to canter or even trot along the beach (I've been riding since I was 6).

- There was a pack of young guys on the beach riding their horses and forcing them to rear. One horse (too young to be ridden and too small for the boy) fell over after being asked to rear numerous times.

- I went in the water with my horse, the guide did not accompany me and my boyfriend chose not to because of his level of nervousness. My horse was reluctant and unhappy to go in the water and after a while I stopped asking her while the guide yelled things I couldn't hear from the beach at me.

- Our guide informed us numerous times that he had been asked to come in on his day off just before 2 weeks of vacation time specifically to take us on this ride. He also liked to mention the number of children he had and how much he was looking forward to vacation. Despite saying "no pressure, no problem" a number of times, there was clearly pressure, though it appeared not to be a problem for him.

- Once we returned to the barn and dropped the horses off, we waited for 10 minutes to finally be offered a reluctant ride back to the hotel. This was probably because we didn't tip. While I would have tipped even though I wasn't pleased or satisfied, we were out of cash as it was our last day on the island.

Overall I wouldn't return and I certainly wouldn't bring an inexperienced person on the ride even though we only walked. It was uncomfortable, at times unsafe, and an all-round negative experience. Others may not find it this way, but horse people probably would. My boyfriend and I loved St. Lucia and our resort, we aren't cranky and uncooperative tourists and enjoyed our other excursions on the island, but not the horseback riding. This proved lesson to me not to horseback ride on vacation in the Caribbean or Mexico.

3  Thank Beth M
"lesson"
"van"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiancé booked this trip as she is a horse lover with 3 of her own and has been trying to get me on one for years, so I thought this would be as good of a place as any to try it.
We booked a 2 hour ride for 4pm.
We arrived to a very authentic st lucia stable, by this I mean shabby looking barns and unkept grounds. But why would you expect anything more? We aren't in Surrey. I informed the guides it was my first time so they put me on bob, the most chilled out of horses. The ride took us to the beach on a narrow track, at the beach we had photo opportunities and refreshments and then rode bareback on the horses into the sea.
The whole experience was fantastic and the guides were extremely helpful and funny. Giving me tips all the time and giving me confidence throughout.
I would recommend this trip to anyone from experienced rider to an absolute beginner. Just don't judge the place on first impressions.
Thanks trim's.

1  Thank Steven G
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Booked this through Sandals.

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable who spend their lives around the horses.

You go down a trail to the beach (Plantation Beach which is the beach Cotton Bay Village is on). The guides will take you down the entire beach and then will take pictures of you before heading back to the middle of the beach. There you will sit down and they will take the saddle off two horses which they bring you in the water in.

It's about 1.5 - 2 hours long. Its pretty fun and a great deal for your money.

1  Thank KatherineLian309
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was a nice afternoon on horseback to bar and beach.
Trail Ride went through pretty dirty area of Town with a lot of litter,
but the staff were very friendly,and rest of ride was great!

1  Thank Vsp8
See more reviews
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Memorable ride. My horse was full of energy, yet attentive to my commands. I could use just my hips and he was answering, something you don't see everywhere. Since we had experience we cantered and galloped along the turquoise water and white sand of the desert beach. Peter, our guide, was fun. My horse and I were swimming, yes swimming, with only our heads out, but that was my choice, the other rider just remained seated in water up to her waist. We take off everything we don't want to wet before going in the ocean. This place takes good care of their horses with a shower after every ride and they don't work two days in row, so you get horses eager to do their job. It's a must for everyone who loves horses, because they can adapt to your level of comfort.

1  Thank Argyle105