“"Wasted day"”

and up
Martinique Day Trip from St Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Martinique Splendor. For those who want to make the most of their Caribbean vacation, Martinique Splendor offers a fast, comfortable ride to the neighbouring French island of Martinique for a day of sun, fun, and shopping.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“"Wasted day"”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I found a flyer left in our hotel for Martinique Splendour only 90 minutes away on a top-of-the-line vessel. We gathered from this flyer that a sensational cruise awaits us! (How mislead we were).

Flyer said: departs Rodney Bay Marina 7.30am - we got on at 7.30am and waited a further hour for everyone to get in to fill the flying ray up! As it was filling up we decided to find a space somewhere on top deck and wait patiently for our sensational adventure. Then after introductions from the crew who did as best they could to assist us we set off out of the marina as we got into the open our nightmare began... The waves crashed over us and we were drenched and eyes stinging. We were then told we were on the wet side of the vessel - we got up to move along with everyone else that were sat there but I found myself clinging to the rails for dear life whilst all the time being drenched wave after wave it was so rough I couldn't let go of the rails for fear of injury. There was no let up for over 90 minutes in fact the total journey was over 2 hours.

When we finally made port we were then directed to go to duty free when we disembarked it resembled a scrap yard with litter everywhere and duty free itself was no more than a shack. We then got back in for a ration of a few Pringles and peanuts we then sat down and discovered a lady who clearly had concussion with black eye and bruises to her cheek and head who had been left to try and sleep and covered over with a towel she needed medical assistance in our opinion and received none.

As for Martinque please don't think its as described it has more of a feel of cheap and tacky rather than chic and glamorous.

On the way back we stopped off for an hour to snorkel which was average.

To sum up on the day of our trip 28/11/13 in our opinion this vessel should not have put to sea due to weather conditions on that morning. Somebody would have been aware of the weather prevailing on that day and we should have been given a choice.

Total waste of a day and money!

4 Thank Firesigns

Philadelphia
“Awesome Day on the Water!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip from start to finish. The crew was awesome, the boat ride amazing and the beautiful sides well worth spending a day seeing! Would recommend to anyone that loves being on the water for a day!

Visited November 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Brilliant!!!!! Loved it, but not for you if you're wanting a sedate outing!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was just a brilliant way to spend the day. 5 of us went (aged 51, 47, 22, 18 and 5) on 24/10/13 and we all loved it! It's not for you if you want a smooth and dry sailing experience but if you want something a little more exciting (obviously according to the weather conditions) go for this. The staff were ace (around about now .... say yeah man, I said, say yeah man!) and couldn't do enough for you; the all inclusive food and drinks supplied were not the cheapest things they could have served up and neither were they rationed as has been my experience on some 'all incl' boat trips previously, where I've been frightened to ask for another drink etc., these guys and girls will serve you throughout the whole trip and by that I mean wait on you! We had a beautiful sunny day to enjoy and spotted flying fish on both legs of the journey. The snorkelling and beach visit were very beautiful and if you know where to look, lion fish and other exotics are there to be seen. Martinique reminded me a little of the less attractive parts of Paris and I'm so glad I did the short walking tour with the guide before spending some time exploring alone. This is an EU country with the Euro as it's currency, but will take US$ & EC$; for souvenirs and nic naks this place is much cheaper than St Lucia and I spotted a poster for Looshan locals in Dennery that offers them a trip to Martinique once a week to do their shopping! A bit like going from Dublin to Belfast (or is it vice versa?) to save on fuel and food prices. Don't sigh, as we did, at the visit to the duty free shop when you dock; if you are after alcohol you can purchase a litre of Finlandia Vodka for 9 Euros and a bottle of french brandy for 3 euro's fifty. That's way cheaper than Asda's own brand! We did a Christmas alcohol stock up here and although we weren't sure about the duty free allowance we figured as it's an EU country we would be subject to EU rules and kept hold of our receipts just in case....we weren't stopped at Gatwick. Another passenger said the perfume wasn't so cheap but I do think what you gain on the roundabouts you lose on the swings. There was a queue in this place so someone thinks it's worth a visit. Anyway, anyway, I always do a boat trip when I'm on a beach holiday and this is one of the best I've been on; getting soaked through was part of the fun as was bobbing across the sea....the crew do offer you free anti-motion sickness medication at the start of each leg so if you're a bit wobbly on the sea take up their offer and take your meds! The cat we travelled on doesn't seem to resemble the vehicle in some of the other reviews I've read and I can only sympathise with those people who endured maintenance issues on their trips; this is an absolute must do and you get to tick off another Caribbean island on your list of 'want to go to'. Once again, I want to tell you how great the staff were....I'm a little ashamed I cannot remember their names though :-( they were, as the young people say, AWESOME! I can't tick both the family with young children and family with teens box, neither have I ticked the food for purchase box as it's all inc. I can't say about wheelchair access and I don't want to make assumptions about wheelchair users and access on and off catamarans; we didn't take the buggy but one would have be able to have been parked complete with baby if absolutely necessary but if I'm honest I don't think I'd have taken a very small child on this trip. My 5 year old boy sat and played angry birds during the journeys; walked around in Martinique and swan in the sea with me at the 'black beach', so he enjoyed it too.

Visited October 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing time”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Great day out! The boat ride there was very relaxing. The tour was informative and the crew was awesome.. The ride home was a little rough but personally I thought it was great, some may not like it quite as much but they can't control the weather. Also the snorkeling was nice.. They bring you to a black sand beach that's gorgeous. Definitely a must do!

1 Thank Mahlon G
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Hot and humid, but at times, refreshing”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Wife really wanted a day trip to Martinique but I was a bit hesitant with the reviews. I should've listened to the TA forum! Halfway to Martinique, we had engine failure! This made us 1 hour late to the island, which made our time on the island a lot shorter. The positives--- bbq on the boat! Staff made chicken, fish, and burgers after our outing on the island. Really good food, and the captain's hot sauce was to die for! After the bbq, we were on our way to Anse Noir, a beautiful cove where we stopped and took a swim for about 45 minutes. We ended up seeing some cliff divers jumping into the water!
The ride back to St Lucia was flawless. No issues with engine, nice and breezy on the upper level, and the staff were helpful in bringing our drinks up the stairs with the choppy water.

Overall, for the pricing, I don't think it was worth it.

Visited October 2013