“Good choice for Breakfast”

Ti Bananne Caribbean Bistro
Ranked #35 of 84 Restaurants in Gros Islet
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2011

If you are not on an all inclusive or B&B this is a good value, good quality place for breakfast.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I was staying in the attached hotel, The Coco Palm, and dined here for breakfast. I had the local breakfast of saltfish and eggs, bakes(a fried sweet dough), fresh fruit and cocoa tea(a spiced drink like a cross between chai tea and hot chocolate...yum)

Reviewed May 9, 2011

We went looking for Lil' Chef for lunch, but were told it had merged with Ti Bananne.

The restaurant is at the back of the Coco Palm Resort, but can be quite hard to find. (No one was on reception to guide us, but we found a helpful security guard eventually!). It is essentially a poolside bar-restaurant with very loud music.

The food was good, but cold - my steak tournedos has obviously been allowed to rest a little too long, and the chips just as long! The lemon parsley butter was just butter really. My husband's goat curry was okay, although quite bland with very little seasoning.

Non alcoholic daiquiris and piña coladas were tasty.

Service was very slow, and not effective. For example, my steak order was taken and she didn't seem to need to know how I wanted it cooked. She returned ten minutes later to ask how I wanted it done and also how I'd like my egg. The food took 30 minutes to arrive in an unoccupied restaurant!

Go again?
Maybe. It's okay, but slow. I think I'd be too worried about the potential for it to be rubbish to recommend to others.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

Ti Bananne was the restaurant at our hotel, Coco Palm, so we tried it on our first night there. It may have changed chefs and/or owners since the positive reviews were written because our dinner there was truly awful. My friend and I each ordered fish; pan seared mahi mahi with curried chick peas and buerre blanc, and orange/ginger snapper with sweet potato provencale. Both pieces of fish were totally overcooked, with no hint of curry in mahi mahi dish, or orange/ginger in the snapper. The snapper was served atop a mass of chopped vegetables in a bland cream sauce with a little melted cheese. The server was friendly, but the dinner took forever, and since neither of us ate what we ordered, we asked the server for some garlic bread. She recommended that we not order it because it would take so long. We ended up getting ice cream cones at a nearby shop. By the way, the staff at the bar were very, very nice, and the setting is very pleasant. It's too bad the food isn't what it used to be.

1  Thank travelerfromMaine
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We visited Ti Babanne several times during our recent stay at Coco Palm, and found it to be excellent. The menu is varied and the food well cooked and tasty. The Green Fig & Salt fish and Pumpkin Soup were both fabulous. It's just a shame you can't buy the coconut shrimp garnish from the pumpkin soup on their own. They really are amazing! The desserts are handmade and very tasty.

The only down side was the service could be very slow and some of the staff although friendly need extra training, particularly at lunchtime. We waited 45 minutes for a burger on one occasion, and when I pointed this out to our waitress she basically ran off and hid, rather than sorting out the problem, needless to say the manager sorted things out quickly and efficiently.

The restaurant was recently taken over by The Little Chef Restaurant, so it will be interesting to see what changes are made between now and our next visit in October.

1  Thank TravelfanfromUK