“Terrible”

and 1 more site!
Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Where do I begin? We stayed in August 2010. I understand that this time of year is considered rain/off season but the resort was inappropriately understaffed. We had payed for an all inclusive plan but definately should not have because the staff did not provide you with what you paid for. I guess their idea of "all inclusive" means mediocre food served to you after waiting forever and one bar with servers that won't make eye contact with you. Waiting for dinner and drinks would sometimes take hours. The bar was closed around 11 pm with no other options for night life afterwards. We ended up spending a ton of money at other bars in the area. The breakfast was the only meal which service was okay (meaning didn't take 3 hours to acquire) because it was a buffet with an omelet stand. The lunch and dinner food itself was pretty good but really tough to enjoy because of such terrible service. The rooms are in desperate need of rennovating and the pool and hot tub are very cheap looking. The beach is across street and the village inn and spa does not provide beach chairs for you. Most days we were allowed to use chairs of another resort, however there was one day we were harrassed by a security guard saying that we could not use them since we were staying across the street. All in all the island of St. Lucia was a lovely place to visit (we loved our excursions to the Piton Peaks and Pigeon Point) but if you plan to go there I would reccommend spending a little more on a nicer place especially if you prefer an all inclusive package.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sbmoyer1

Reviewed December 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Village Inn and Spa in Rodney Bay Dec.18-24, 2010. If you're used to staying at the Ritz-Carleton or top Hiltons, don't book here, because you will probably be disappointed. If you're used to staying at Courtyards and Fairfield Inns, then this place is great. We booked through TAN, and were very happy with what they did. To be honest, after reading some of the reviews of the Village Inn, we were a little nervous to book it, but figured we were just going to St. Lucia for the beach and sun. So we were okay with the gamble.

I want to put at ease you people that have read some of the negative reviews. I read one about there being ants in the salt shakers...we didn't see any of that...they put rice in the salt shakers, which could look like ants, but definitely didn't see ants. Also, someone wrote that they didn't get maid service or get new towels but every 4 days. Yeah, pretty sure we got maid service everyday. And they gave us new beach towels everyday we went to the beach which was very nice. Another review said there was loud music every night from a bar next door and they couldn't get any sleep . We stayed on the side of the hotel where the bar was located and we didn't have any problems at all. When I heard that you had to walk through the hotel across the street to get to the beach, I thought it was going to be weird, but it wasn't at all. You just walk right through their (Bay Gardens Beach Resort) courtyard and to the beach. You can even go into the gift shop at the Bay Gardens and buy body boards for the beach!

Every day, 24/7, security constantly walks the grounds of the hotel which helped us to feel secure. The hotel staff was always cleaning and mopping floors to make sure everything looked nice. We booked a studio room, but since they had open rooms, we got upgraded to a Junior Suite. There is a shopping center just down the road about 3/4 mile away from the hotel. We went there a couple of nights to look around and buy things. We also went to the shopping center multiple times at night and felt safe the whole time.

The overall service of the hotel staff was great. We had the all-inclusive package and thought the food quality was great. The portion sizes were generous and we were pleased all week long. At breakfast they had an omelete station which was great.

We paid $80 US dollars (one way) from the Airport to the hotel. Plan on a 90 minute drive to get to the hotel because you drive through the rain-forest and the roads are very curvy. If you do not get an all-inclusive package, plan on spending at least $60 US (for 2 people) each meal (lunch and dinner). That's one of the reasons we chose the all-inclusive plan since it can get pricey.

They have a travel agent that helps in the planning of activities, so I would definitely ask her for help to plan an excursion. We went to a cocoa plantation, a drive-in volcano, and sailing. There are definitely things to do, so I would talk to the lady when you arrive to make sure you are aware of the things you want to do.

Overall, this was one of the most inexpensive hotels on the island and we were very pleased with what we got. Do not be deceived thinking that since it is inexpensive and it's not good, because that's not the case at all. We were right on the beach and had plenty of stuff to do. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to relax and not spend a fortune.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank w008ags
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We planned our vacation for 9 months in order to get all the family together on this trip. We traveled the first week of November after the hurricane.
When we booked our trip, we did not know about this hotel, but this hotel by far was a beautiful hotel with friendly efficient staff who kept us informed about what was going on. Village Inn managers were very proactive in taking care of their guests and arranged for water for their guests while other larger and fancier hotels had no water and guests were basically left either to cancel their trip or make other arrangements. We became VILLAGE INN guests after another highly recommended resort closed for lack of water. Village Inn staff were very gracious. The full breakfast was included in the room price was exceptional. The pool and pool bar were great places to hang out. We had one of the larger veranda rooms that overlooked the pool. The restaurants are within walking distance as is the beach (just across the street). Spinnakers as you see by other reviews is not to be missed. Serenity Tours provides very special individualized tours and gave of a wonderful tour of St Lucia by St Lucians.
PROS to this hotel over others: Rooms, free internet in rooms and at pool, staff and management are some of the best and you can tell they really care about their guests, some of the rooms have small refrigerators, location.
CON: The Happy Day Bar can be loud but this is St Lucia. Once we were inside the room we could not hear the music.
***If you are looking for somewhere special I would suggest this hotel and we plan to come back.******

(The travel agency had assured us that things were fine at the 4 star resort the first week of November ,2010 where we were originally booked. WRONG! We arrived the island at the 4 star resort, we were informed that the island and the hotel was rationing water-even though we had received a welcome email from this hotel with no mention about water rationing.By Monday, the other resort (NOT VILLAGE INN) told us they would be closing and we could not stay at the resort where we made our reservation because they had no water. Some of the hotels with water increased their rates to over 500.00 per night as there were guests-like us-with room reservations cancelled at the hotel where the tourists booked--Village Inn charged us a very fair nightly rate that included breakfast-This showed a certain amount of integrity on the part of Village Inn Management.)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank 2travelisgreat
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I am a travel agent so I hve travelled St Lucia and stayed at a lot of hotels.
I stayed here for one night during the hurricane, my original hotel was closed and I was transfered here, I stayed one night and then checked out, its rubbish.
And there was charging MORE than my original four star resort hotel...!
The reception at the Village Inn is on the road side and you walk straight into the pool area (which is not as big as their pics suggest) - I did not feel this was very safe as anyone can walk around,esp if you have kids, there are no facilities as this hotel and the food is awful as are the rooms, I stayed one night and checked out - one night too long I'm afraid!!!
Typical examples .. at breakfast I opened the sugar pot and it was filled with ANTS, I asked for another one - got a dirty look and then they passed me another one from another table, it too was filled with ants, so I asked could she please go to the kitchen and get me a clean container with some sugar, she did, but it was with attitude! I mean I know what the caribbean is like (I've been there nearly 20 times) but that was just disgusting.
They say in the brochure they only change the bedsheets every four days? However, when I aked for a towel by the pool, it rained so I took it back as it had got soaked and the girl refused to take it, I said its soaking wet, I don't want another one its raining! But she said - we only give towels out every four days??!! now THAT is disgusting. No hotel should make you keep a beach towel four days.
It really is a 2star motel for one night stops!

Stay across the road, there is a really decent hotel opposite, the Bay Gardens - right on the beach and really nice hotel with a good pool/bar. I had a good look around.
The only plus point - its in Rodney Bay and a 2min walk to the beach, which is really nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shanedy
Reviewed November 24, 2010

i stayed at the village inn & spa with a friend in room 7005 and it was the best stay it was very warmin and comfortable. i meet Nicole and Ephima and there where the best waitress in the whole world surly goin to return in december 2010. see u guys soooooooooooooooooon

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronnie012
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed at the Village Inn and Spa at the beginning of November for one week. The overall condition of the hotel and room was really nice. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The pool was always clean and there were always sun loungers available. The beach is right across the street. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the supermarket and some restaurants.

Some complaints I have with the hotel is the price of food at the restaurant. I do not know if this was just because of the hurricane that passed through the island or if the restaurant is always that expensive. I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and could not believe how much the bill was. There are a number of other restaurants or the supermarket were you can buy food for significantly less. The Happy Day Bar is next door and on both Friday and Saturday night I could hear the music and cars leaving the bar with loud music till 2:00am. This may have been because my room was right on the road side of the hotel but I still did not sleep well those nights. I also found the staff at the hotel not very friendly or helpful.

I have stayed at other hotels in the Rodney Bay area and would not stay at the Village Inn and Spa again because of the price of the food, the location to the main road and supermarket and the level of service.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2010

OCTOBER 2010

ST LUCIA TRIP REPORT

Stopover Hotel

We stayed in Toronto near the airport in a stopover hotel that Sell Off Vacations had on their website. We were allowed to book this hotel because we booked our Air Canada Vacation with them. We stayed at The Sandman Signature Hotel Toronto. This hotel was amazing. With the stop over rate we received 15 days free parking with the one nights stay. The hotel was very modern and comfortable. The staff was polite and professional. Our room was decorated with a modern theme and was very clean. The beds were amazing. I slept like a baby. We will definitely be staying there again. I have even recommended this hotel to my good friends.

Flight

We flew to St Lucia via Air Canada. The flight was on time and uneventful. In the usual Air Canada style, no food was given but was available for purchase. The flight crew was polite and was very helpful offering coffee, tea, pop, juice and water two to three times per flight.

Hotel

We stayed at The Village Inn and Spa in Rodney Bay. We decided on this hotel because we wanted something affordable. We went to St Lucia to scuba dive, not use the endless amenities that Sandals offers on resort. Our airport p/u went off without a hitch. The driver who drove us was polite and was willing to tell us allot of information about the places we were passing. He even stopped on the way so we could take pictures of the beautiful landscape. When we arrived at the hotel, check in was a breeze. The people at the front desk were aware of our arrival and had everything in order. They were so nice to us and friendly. The hotel itself is nicely decorated and clean. The food was plentiful and really good. What makes this hotel so special is the staff. ALL the staff that we met at this hotel was polite and always ready with a smile. I have been to many destinations, Caribbean and South Pacific and I can say that the staff here is truly special. One of the staff that needs special mention is Milisha. She was the bartender at the hotel and was a really nice person. Also, the manager, Lisa, was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Our room was clean and comfortable. We overlooked the restaurant. I have seen trip reports about this hotel saying that there is a bar next door that plays music late and that you can hear it in the rooms. I did go over to the "Happy Day Bar" but I NEVER heard it in my room. The room was well insulated and with the air conditioner on, I never heard anything and never had trouble getting to sleep. Oh ya, the air conditioner worked great. We also had a safe in our room that was very convenient. There were lots of drawers to put your clothes in and a big closet that stowed our 4 suitcases, 2 carry-ons and all our "hanged" clothes. The TV did work, but we don't watch TV while on vacation. At one point I asked for an extra pillow and they were more than happy to oblige. We also had coffee and tea in our room with a kettle. Nice touch for the mornings I awoke early.

The hotel has a pool that was kept very clean. The staff was up really early testing and cleaning the pool to ensure that it was ready for the vacationers to enjoy. There is a beach but you have to go across the road to access it. We never went as we were diving ALOT. We did make it over to Spinakers. If you go to this hotel ask any staff how to get there (its all of a 2 minute walk) and you won't be disappointed. The sunsets there are beautiful and make for some nice pictures. Spinakers does offer 2 for 1 drinks at sunset.

The hotel offers free wi-fi. I would sit on my balcony and check my email with my morning coffee. The wi-fi never went down and surfing worked well.

Breakfast was from 7:30 till 9:00. Lunch was from 12:30 till 2:00 and dinner was from 7:00 till 9:00. If you cannot make those times they do have an all day menu with snack type foods. We were all inclusive and found the menu had enough variety. They do change the menu every couple of days to keep it fresh. The portions were large and the food was very good. Everything we had was hot and tasted fresh. We had a problem making lunch because we were on the dive boat so we asked the front desk if they could box us up a lunch and they were more than happy to oblige. Our boxed lunches consisted of a meat and cheese sandwich and a box of fruit. It was perfect for between our second and third dive.

Diving

We dove with Frogs Diving (http://www.frogsdiving.com). We did three dives per day for 5 days. Tommy, who is the owner and dive master, was very accommodating. On our first dive he suggested a bottom time of 40 minutes. When I mentioned that we were looking at doing 60 minute dives, he was more that happy to accommodate us. The boat was very comfortable with lots of room. Tommy took us along the island to a variety of dive sites. In between dives he offered sandwiches, fruit and cookies along with plenty of water. Greg was the boat captain. He has a wonderful sense of humor and made our surface intervals a joy.

While diving we had the pleasure of seeing French angels, juvenile French angels, many different types of eels, squirrel fish, groupers, filefish, nudibranchs, bubble coral shrimps, crabs ( of all different species ), green turtles, hawksbill turtles, octopus, tangs, parrot fish, surgeon fish, coral banded shrimps, gobies, lizard fish, and of course, the best ever, spotted eagle rays.

Car Rental and Day Trip

We rented a car from the rental agency at the same hotel that Frogs Diving is located. The car (will all taxes, insurance and a waiver for the deductible) was $72 US. This included unlimited mileage. It was a four door sub compact. It was an automatic and had no problems getting up and down all the hills that St Lucia has. We drove from Rodney Bay all along the western highway down to the Pitons. It was an amazing drive. The curving roads, the scenery and the villages. Let me remind you that they drive on the left side of the road on the right side of the car. Took a bit of getting used to but my husband managed very well. We went through a number of towns that were bursting with people.

Our day trip was to go to the Volcano and to do the mud bath at the Sulphur Springs. The cost of the "tour" for both was 13 US each and this came with a guide for the volcano. The volcano was really neat to see. Its amazing that it’s just sitting there bubbling like that. Then we drove back to the entrance where we parked our car, went down to the springs and changed. A man goes up the stream to where the mud is and comes back with a bucket. We then proceeded to put the mud all over our bodies. I will be honest with you here, it stunk, but it sure made my skin feel awesome after. We let the mud dry and then got into the "pool" area of the spring and rinsed off. The water was HOT and I mean HOT. Took a bit of getting used to. Would I do it again? No, but I suggest doing it once. It was quite the experience.

Upon leaving the springs the locals are sitting there with their hand made wares asking you to come look. I did purchase a hand caved turtle from this old man who lived up above the volcano. I purchased it from him because he was one of the few that didn't ask me to come look at their wares.

Conclusion

If you don't want the cost of the 5 star hotels and are looking for a basic but clean and friendly hotel with great food then definitely go to The Village Inn and Spa. I would send my friends there in a heartbeat.

Diving freedom was definitely provided by Frog Divers and I would recommend them to any level of diver. They were both professional and safe.

St Lucia is falling under some hard economical times. I am afraid that this gem of an island is succumbing to the drug trade and the poor people are the ones that are carrying all the problems that come along with it. It is my opinion that if you are looking at going to St Lucia you should do it sooner rather that later. It still has its beauty and mystique but I am not sure for how much longer.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at sharkbait98@gmail.com

Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Coco Palm Resort
Coco Palm Resort
#2 of 6 in Rodney Bay

Been to Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay? Share your experiences!