“a must visit hotel/ inn”

and 1 more site!
Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed November 24, 2010

i stayed at the village inn & spa with a friend in room 7005 and it was the best stay it was very warmin and comfortable. i meet Nicole and Ephima and there where the best waitress in the whole world surly goin to return in december 2010. see u guys soooooooooooooooooon

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronnie012

Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed at the Village Inn and Spa at the beginning of November for one week. The overall condition of the hotel and room was really nice. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The pool was always clean and there were always sun loungers available. The beach is right across the street. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the supermarket and some restaurants.

Some complaints I have with the hotel is the price of food at the restaurant. I do not know if this was just because of the hurricane that passed through the island or if the restaurant is always that expensive. I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and could not believe how much the bill was. There are a number of other restaurants or the supermarket were you can buy food for significantly less. The Happy Day Bar is next door and on both Friday and Saturday night I could hear the music and cars leaving the bar with loud music till 2:00am. This may have been because my room was right on the road side of the hotel but I still did not sleep well those nights. I also found the staff at the hotel not very friendly or helpful.

I have stayed at other hotels in the Rodney Bay area and would not stay at the Village Inn and Spa again because of the price of the food, the location to the main road and supermarket and the level of service.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2010

OCTOBER 2010

ST LUCIA TRIP REPORT

Stopover Hotel

We stayed in Toronto near the airport in a stopover hotel that Sell Off Vacations had on their website. We were allowed to book this hotel because we booked our Air Canada Vacation with them. We stayed at The Sandman Signature Hotel Toronto. This hotel was amazing. With the stop over rate we received 15 days free parking with the one nights stay. The hotel was very modern and comfortable. The staff was polite and professional. Our room was decorated with a modern theme and was very clean. The beds were amazing. I slept like a baby. We will definitely be staying there again. I have even recommended this hotel to my good friends.

Flight

We flew to St Lucia via Air Canada. The flight was on time and uneventful. In the usual Air Canada style, no food was given but was available for purchase. The flight crew was polite and was very helpful offering coffee, tea, pop, juice and water two to three times per flight.

Hotel

We stayed at The Village Inn and Spa in Rodney Bay. We decided on this hotel because we wanted something affordable. We went to St Lucia to scuba dive, not use the endless amenities that Sandals offers on resort. Our airport p/u went off without a hitch. The driver who drove us was polite and was willing to tell us allot of information about the places we were passing. He even stopped on the way so we could take pictures of the beautiful landscape. When we arrived at the hotel, check in was a breeze. The people at the front desk were aware of our arrival and had everything in order. They were so nice to us and friendly. The hotel itself is nicely decorated and clean. The food was plentiful and really good. What makes this hotel so special is the staff. ALL the staff that we met at this hotel was polite and always ready with a smile. I have been to many destinations, Caribbean and South Pacific and I can say that the staff here is truly special. One of the staff that needs special mention is Milisha. She was the bartender at the hotel and was a really nice person. Also, the manager, Lisa, was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Our room was clean and comfortable. We overlooked the restaurant. I have seen trip reports about this hotel saying that there is a bar next door that plays music late and that you can hear it in the rooms. I did go over to the "Happy Day Bar" but I NEVER heard it in my room. The room was well insulated and with the air conditioner on, I never heard anything and never had trouble getting to sleep. Oh ya, the air conditioner worked great. We also had a safe in our room that was very convenient. There were lots of drawers to put your clothes in and a big closet that stowed our 4 suitcases, 2 carry-ons and all our "hanged" clothes. The TV did work, but we don't watch TV while on vacation. At one point I asked for an extra pillow and they were more than happy to oblige. We also had coffee and tea in our room with a kettle. Nice touch for the mornings I awoke early.

The hotel has a pool that was kept very clean. The staff was up really early testing and cleaning the pool to ensure that it was ready for the vacationers to enjoy. There is a beach but you have to go across the road to access it. We never went as we were diving ALOT. We did make it over to Spinakers. If you go to this hotel ask any staff how to get there (its all of a 2 minute walk) and you won't be disappointed. The sunsets there are beautiful and make for some nice pictures. Spinakers does offer 2 for 1 drinks at sunset.

The hotel offers free wi-fi. I would sit on my balcony and check my email with my morning coffee. The wi-fi never went down and surfing worked well.

Breakfast was from 7:30 till 9:00. Lunch was from 12:30 till 2:00 and dinner was from 7:00 till 9:00. If you cannot make those times they do have an all day menu with snack type foods. We were all inclusive and found the menu had enough variety. They do change the menu every couple of days to keep it fresh. The portions were large and the food was very good. Everything we had was hot and tasted fresh. We had a problem making lunch because we were on the dive boat so we asked the front desk if they could box us up a lunch and they were more than happy to oblige. Our boxed lunches consisted of a meat and cheese sandwich and a box of fruit. It was perfect for between our second and third dive.

Diving

We dove with Frogs Diving (http://www.frogsdiving.com). We did three dives per day for 5 days. Tommy, who is the owner and dive master, was very accommodating. On our first dive he suggested a bottom time of 40 minutes. When I mentioned that we were looking at doing 60 minute dives, he was more that happy to accommodate us. The boat was very comfortable with lots of room. Tommy took us along the island to a variety of dive sites. In between dives he offered sandwiches, fruit and cookies along with plenty of water. Greg was the boat captain. He has a wonderful sense of humor and made our surface intervals a joy.

While diving we had the pleasure of seeing French angels, juvenile French angels, many different types of eels, squirrel fish, groupers, filefish, nudibranchs, bubble coral shrimps, crabs ( of all different species ), green turtles, hawksbill turtles, octopus, tangs, parrot fish, surgeon fish, coral banded shrimps, gobies, lizard fish, and of course, the best ever, spotted eagle rays.

Car Rental and Day Trip

We rented a car from the rental agency at the same hotel that Frogs Diving is located. The car (will all taxes, insurance and a waiver for the deductible) was $72 US. This included unlimited mileage. It was a four door sub compact. It was an automatic and had no problems getting up and down all the hills that St Lucia has. We drove from Rodney Bay all along the western highway down to the Pitons. It was an amazing drive. The curving roads, the scenery and the villages. Let me remind you that they drive on the left side of the road on the right side of the car. Took a bit of getting used to but my husband managed very well. We went through a number of towns that were bursting with people.

Our day trip was to go to the Volcano and to do the mud bath at the Sulphur Springs. The cost of the "tour" for both was 13 US each and this came with a guide for the volcano. The volcano was really neat to see. Its amazing that it’s just sitting there bubbling like that. Then we drove back to the entrance where we parked our car, went down to the springs and changed. A man goes up the stream to where the mud is and comes back with a bucket. We then proceeded to put the mud all over our bodies. I will be honest with you here, it stunk, but it sure made my skin feel awesome after. We let the mud dry and then got into the "pool" area of the spring and rinsed off. The water was HOT and I mean HOT. Took a bit of getting used to. Would I do it again? No, but I suggest doing it once. It was quite the experience.

Upon leaving the springs the locals are sitting there with their hand made wares asking you to come look. I did purchase a hand caved turtle from this old man who lived up above the volcano. I purchased it from him because he was one of the few that didn't ask me to come look at their wares.

Conclusion

If you don't want the cost of the 5 star hotels and are looking for a basic but clean and friendly hotel with great food then definitely go to The Village Inn and Spa. I would send my friends there in a heartbeat.

Diving freedom was definitely provided by Frog Divers and I would recommend them to any level of diver. They were both professional and safe.

St Lucia is falling under some hard economical times. I am afraid that this gem of an island is succumbing to the drug trade and the poor people are the ones that are carrying all the problems that come along with it. It is my opinion that if you are looking at going to St Lucia you should do it sooner rather that later. It still has its beauty and mystique but I am not sure for how much longer.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at sharkbait98@gmail.com

Sharkbait

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Wilsons - Surrey

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou.....for yet another great holiday!

This hotel never lets us down - rooms are clean, well maintained & very comfortable.
All the staff are so kind & friendly & cannot do enough to make your stay relaxing & enjoyable.

Great location for the beach - 2 mins walk - AND FOR restaurants - 10 - 20 mins walk.

It may not be the most luxurious hotel in Rodney Bay - but if you want to feel wanted....
STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2010

As frequent visitors to St Lucia (this was about my 6th/7th visit to Rodney Bay), this hotel is shocking & should not be visited. Stay at Coco Palm or Bay Gardens instead. This hotel should have remained The Rainbow instead of being changed into the hotel from hell. The only good thing is the cheapness of the price, but this more than reflects in the lack of anything else. Problems - the most unfriendly and unhelpful staff in St Lucia, you ask for coffee at breakfast and it doesn't arrive or, you just get looked at as if "what, you want me to get you something? gosh no, not in my job description!" Toaster only worked once during stay and staff wouldn't mend, leaking toilet, room smelt badly of urine, took lot to get room change, bed very uncomfy, insects in room, room walls thin so can hear next door's TV, pool supposed to close @7pm but rule not enforced and people just swim into the night and cause so much noise. Not a quiet hotel as nightclub/ bar next door. Lack of selection of drinks at bar. Thank god for the great beach nearby and great restaurants (always good). check out rituals coffee shop(good breakfast, good coffees), razmataz, tex mex, memories of hong kong and charthouse.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YorkHels
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We chose The Village Inn and Spa because all we were looking for was a bed and breakfast service. We were not looking for an all inclusive or half board hotel as we enjoy going out, exploring, trying different restaurants etc. Bed and breakfast is fairly hard to find in St Lucia as we found out and in the end we did not choose to have the breakfast as it cost $11 per person per day! For our family of 4, that would have been $616 just spent on breakfast for 2 weeks!

On arriving, the hotel looked lovely and we were greeted in reception with fruit punches which were delicious. Our rooms were on the top floor and we had a great views of the pool and beach. The rooms were kept very clean and the cleaners visited daily. We were given airconditioning and a ceiling fan, tv, hairdryer, and plenty of storage space. Other larger rooms had a fridge which would have been very handy, but we were given a cool box by some other customers which worked well to keep our food and drinks cold.

The pool area was great and never got too busy. We also noticed they are not strict about pool closing times, as there were still people swimming around and in the jacuzzi at 10-11pm! The pool bar was nice, however service was very slow (CARIBBEAN TIME everything takes twice as long) so everything we ordered would take forever to come. The rubdown smoothies are delicious if you get a chance to try one (coconut and banana).

The beach is very close its literally out the hotel and across the road. You have to walk through a different hotel (Bay Gardens Resort) but it is not a problem at all and all it takes is 2 minutes before your feet are on the beach. After seeing alot of beaches around the island Reduit beach is my firm favourite the sand is gorgeous and the sea is a still blue turquoise colour you really feel like you are in paradise. My only problem is there are no deck chairs or sunbeds available - they belong to Bay Gardens Resort Hotel so we were not allowed to use them.

The hotel is situated right at the end of the road and is the furthest hotel from the centre so quite a walk if you want to go out for dinner, go to the shopping mall etc. Id say it took roughly 15 minutes which is not far but in the high heat it can feel longer. Restaurants I'd highly recommend are the steak house (best steak I have ever tried), The Red Snapper (mixture of fish food, grills, salads, burgers), Elenas (best ice cream parlour!!) and Spinnakers (on the beach front).

I would highly recommend doing the Piton Volcano Boat trip which is a whole day out sailing down the west coast of St Lucia to the Pitons. You get to see the volcano and sulphur springs, walk around the botanical gardens, go snorkelling and have a buffet style lunch on board. We also hired a car to see some other parts of the Island, and really enjoyed Anse Chastenet beach. Its the number 1 diving spot in St Lucia and the water is extremely clear. We went snorkelling and saw the most amazing fish! We also took a trip to pigeon point which is worth seeing.

The people of St Lucia are really friendly and welcoming they will always chat with you. Be careful of people trying to rip you off as we had this on multiple occassions, they tried to sell us sticks (yes sticks..), alovera leaves (for $10 a leaf.. yes $10) and all sorts of other things. Best thing is to say no thank you and walk on. If you end up engaging in conversations they will not leave you alone and you end up having to pay them just to get rid of them!

We really enjoyed our holiday we would love to come back and I'd really recommend staying in the Village Inn and Spa if you're looking for a nice friendly hotel, and it's great if you don't want all inclusive.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed here for one night on our way to Bequia. We were very disappointed. The beds were hard and poor quality sheets. We were there on a Weds night and it was so loud that we couldn't sleep. The bathroom looked in poor condition, although clean. I would have thought the bathroom to be a lot older than 4 years old. The staff was very friendly and that was good. We paid like $160+US for our room and I didn't think that it was that kind of quality. ...but maybe that isn't a lot here....but we were in the down season. We would not go back there and stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Coco Palm Resort
Coco Palm Resort
#2 of 6 in Rodney Bay

Been to Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay? Share your experiences!