“Better than expected”

and 1 more site!
Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I found an internet deal for $70 per night plus the 18% tax, which came to $82.60 per night. The price included a continental breakfast with fresh fruit, toast, cereal, coffee and tea. We stayed one week and were very pleased. We were welcomed with complimentary rum punch. Complimentary rum punch is also served during the manager welcome night on Wednesday evening.

It was relatively quiet and we had views of the pool out off our balcony and the ocean when we opened the door. Our standard room was on the third floor, which was nice because you couldn't hear anyone walking around above you. There isn't an elevator, which we were also fine with because the exercise was good for us.

Maid service came every day and everyone was more than happy to help with anything we asked.

Pool towels were always available at the reception desk for the pool, beach, or any other activity requiring a towel for the day. The pool was clean and did not have a lot of people utilizing it, so we were able to have quite a few quiet moments lounging around. The beach was a short walk across the road.

After driving to other areas and towns on the island I was very happy we chose to stay in Rodney Bay. We were able to walk to the grocery store and restaurants and felt safe. Rodney Bay was much cleaner than other areas and there didn't seem to have as much poverty. We were considering staying in Soufriere, because we thought we would be able to walk to some sites. I was quite shocked at the roads and poverty in Soufriere and very happy we chose not to stay there.

Overall everyone on the island was friendly and helpful though.

Katherine, at the concierge desk, was very helpful coordinating tours around the island for us. We rented a car, so we saved quite a bit on the various tours by driving ourselves there. Katherine would call and ask for a price without transportation. She didn't charge us anything extra and most of the trips we paid the company when we arrived.

We went horseback riding (they let you ride bareback on the horse swimming in the ocean for about 5 minutes), ziplining, mountain biking, scuba diving, and climbed Gross Piton. By driving to most of the locations we saved about $400, which more than covered the rental car from Fox Rental.

If driving keep in mind they drive on the left side of the road - opposite from the States. There is pretty much one main road around the island and if you get off the beaten path, the roads are very narrow, rough, and windy. Some roads are washed out and there are trenches along the sides for drainage that are quite deep.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dive2625

Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed at the Village Inn for 2 weeks. We got a great internet deal, around $84US/night including breakfast for 2 people. At that price, I have no complaints. It's definitely a budget hotel, not luxury. It was clean, the staff were extremely friendly, the AC unit worked in the room, the wifi signal worked from our room as long as we were near the door (facing the central common area). We had some minor maintenance issues, some which got resolved, some did not. I found the pillows kind of smelly, so slept with a towel wrapped around mine and it was fine. We had a fridge in our room, which was convenient, the grocery store is about a 15 minute walk away. As others have mentioned, the beach is about 2 minutes walk across the street.

Our intention was to scuba dive as much as possible during our trip, we dove with Irwin at Dolphin Dive Adventures. He was great, very attentive and careful during the dives. Noel and Raymond, the boat captains were great too. Small groups, 2-12 max, in the two weeks we dove with them. They brought us to different sites in the north and south of the island. He adjusted the dive to the skill level of the group. Dives were typically 45-60 minutes, depending on the air consumption of the divers.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Village Inn was clean and comfortable. The location is nice because you are across the street from the beach so less than 5 minutes walking. You can walk to alot of the restaurants, bars, mall and casino. There is a nice pool area with 2 hot-tubs however the hot-tubs were only "cool/warm" tubs in which they said they would be fixing at some point. The people working at this hotel were nothing but friendly and VERY helpful every single day consistently. This is not a fancy place so if that is what you are looking for then this is not it. We did not eat here except continental breakfast. I would not say it would be a place to do all-inclusive. Breakfast food was average. For the price, this was a GREAT deal and again, I cant say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel took some time to get used to, but in the end, I realized just how much value were getting for our money. We booked this hotel through the internet and got a wonderful rate of $100/night (incl. tax). Breakfast was included and there were two queen size beds.

It is true that this hotel is a little worn out -- it needs a paint job and some TLC, but overall, we could not be happier. The major plusses: the amazing price, the size of the rooms, free wifi, lots of television channels, an AC that worked, a fridge in our room, minutes from the beach in the nicest part of Rodney Bay, very friendly staff. However, the most impressive thing about this stay was the amazing breakfasts. When I heard that breakfasts were included, I assumed that it would be a simple continental breakfast. Actually, there was fresh fruit, hot oatmeal, fresh bakes, pancakes, toast, potatoes, beans and sausages, and an omelette station. I couldn't ask for more.

In terms of the area itself, we simply walked across the very small street to the Bay Gardens Beach resort, and down to the beach -- it took all of two minutes. There are lots of restaurants in the area. Perhaps my favourite value for money restaurants were the Triangle Pub, Rituals Coffee, and Pizza Pizza. (I am a vegetarian.) I would make very liberal use of the two huge supermarkets in the area to pick up snacks, and keep them refridgerated in our room fridge. The one thing I will say about this hotel is that I do not think that it is worth going for the all-inclusive plan. You will pay double or triple the rate, and will have to make do with what is offered to you. There are far more cheaper choices by walking a few blocks.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank worldillusion
Reviewed February 28, 2011

everything is old and worn out, pool table needed because green is all ripped, rooms need to have something to prevent ants and mosquito's. sunbeds faded, life rings rotted and falling apart, food okay need more variety, entertainment needed, staff fantastic nothing is too much trouble, basically this is a cheap hotel but could be and would be so much better with a bit more decorating and investment.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I booked a standard room to a two week stay. Initially I thought that the standard of service and the rooms were ok although the room i had didn't come with any sort of fridge so you are unable to chill or keep cool anything in your room and therefore you are obliged to constantly go to the bar for ice in my case this meant 4 flights of stairs to go up and down just so I could have a chilled drink in my room.
Practically all the rooms look out onto the pool and bar area which is fine during the day but the noise at night is horrendous. You are subjected to a sad rendition of melodies from the 1980 's from the bar and then on top of that you have the booming bass of whatever the hotel across the room is playing or what the party boats in the harbour at blasting out as the latest dance tunes. This can go on till very late at night everyday but particularly on Friday and Saturday nights.
I did not choose the all inclusive deal as I wanted to eat out each night however the price did include a continental breakfast. The hotels and my understanding of what consist of a continental breakfast widely differ. Thiers is toast, fruit & cereal mine would include oh I don't some croissants and a selection of cold meats possible some cheese. I made the mistake of having some cold meat with my toast when I same some I mean one slice and was then charge the full cost of an upgrade meal ( If you upgrade you are entitled to eat from the full selection of food available). Naturally I thought that this was a mistake and asked for a bill to reflect what I had actually eaten. I was told by a very rude member of staff that it was my own fault because a) I obviously should have checked whether the cold meat was included with the continental breakfast b) that I was obviously stupid because I didn't understand what a continental breakfast was and c) that it didn't matter if I had a nibble or ate the whole plate the charge was the same. I was charge effectively £6 for one slice of meat. I would like to state this review is not about the money but about the level of rudeness of the staff and the lack of quality you would expect from a hotel who have the cheek to charge you £100 per night. Do not stay here under any circumstances there are nicer hotels within the same area that no doubt will charge you less or at the very least would be value for your money.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Just enjoyed two weeks at Village Inn and Spa, not a 5 star but has everything needed, good sized pool and pool bar, meals if required but booked room only as we like to go out to eat and there is every type of resuarant you can think of just up the road. The room was spacious with two queen size beds, fridge, coffee making, plenty of drawers, wardrobes, T.V. dressing tables and easy chair, nice patio area with two comfy chairs and table. Good size bathroom, clean white soft towels every day, room cleaned and beds made every morning. Staff were very friendly and helpful, beach towels provided.also free internet. Beach is just across the road through grounds of Bay Gardens Hotel, which we used often, they have a nice beach bar and restuarant where you are made welcome. There is a Disco Bar nearby the hotel and sometimes you can hear the music at night, we just used our ear plugs.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Coco Palm Resort
Coco Palm Resort
#2 of 6 in Rodney Bay
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Been to Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay? Share your experiences!