We just returned from our trip to st Lucia - we stayed at the Rex 8 nights and are VERY happy with our choice. I do a good amount of research while planning our vacation, and read a lot of reviews of the hotel. Some of the very negative ones worried me a little, but I knew from the experience to take it with a grain of salt. We could not be happier with our choice. The hotel is in an amazing location - within walking distance to a lot of restaurants, bars , a coffee shop etc. We had no interest in AI as we prefer to try different places to eat and drink , and this hotel is perfect for those who want the same. Close and safe to walk to many restaurants in Rodney Bay.
The hotel is in a perfect spot on the beautiful Reduit Beach. They have their own chairs , reserved only for guests staying at the Rex and security checks frequently that the spots are not occupied by cruise people. We didn't find the cruise ships in town to be that big of a deal.
Everyone in the hotel is super friendly, and happy to help you with anything. Tim the bartender makes THE BEST drinks !!!
The big pool with the swim up bar is open , but we used it once, as we wanted to take advantage of the beautiful beach.
We enjoyed the entertainment on some nights, especially on Monday night, when there is also a happy hour with free drinks 6-7 pm.
Make sure to get to know some of the locals, we met some really nice and interesting people. Yes, they do approach you to sell you things, but most of them are very nice about it, and if you don't want to be bothered , they won't nag you. Felix makes great birds, if you want a nice souvenir. Also Smiley, Quincy and the Wisard ...
But the best of all, something you MUST try is a little tent set up by Spinnakers called " Sabrina's" - two women cooking jerk chicken and fish right there on the beach every day for lunch! It is the BEST chicken ever. She also has cheap beer ( 2 Pitons beers for 5 EC) and unbelievable Rum Punch. She's there every day from about 11 am till she sells out and we strolled down the beach every day and had lunch there!! Just try it once and you'll be back.
Overall, we were very happy that we didn't listen to all the negative comments. The fact that the hotel could use a fresh coat of pain doesn't make or break our vacations. We had a sea facing room, with a gorgeous view , it was very clean, and we really didn't spend much time in the room anyway . The hotel is an excellent value and in a perfect location. Not sure why some people expect it to be luxurious ,for the price of a 3 star ?!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by one of the most popular beaches in St Lucia and backed by charismatic Rodney Bay, the St Lucian by Rex Resorts has an unrivalled location on the Caribbean shore of this beautiful island. By day, the focus is on the stunning sandy beach where the glistening Caribbean waters tempt paddlers, swimmers and sporting enthusiasts from their sun-loungers. Enjoy international cuisine at the Mariners Restaurant which affords spectacular views across the sea. After dinner, experience the unique mix of local and cosmopolitan nightlife at a choice of atmospheric bars in Rodney Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your St. Lucian by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Lucian By Rex Hotel Castries
- St Lucian Rex Resorts
- Rex St Lucian
- St. Lucian By Rex Resorts St. Lucia/Gros Islet