“Perfect honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect honeymoon”
Reviewed June 29, 2007

My husband and I had been looking forward to our honeymoon after reading all the wonderful reviews...and we weren't disappointed!

We were welcomed to the resort from the moment we arrived, and taken care of until the end of our trip. The staff are very sweet and we had some fun dancing one night with a bunch of them to the sounds of the song, 'Coconuts', along with another couple. And that was a big part of our trip - not only were the staff friendly, but so were the other guests. If you desired, you could make friends on this trip, as we did. And at the least, you would always hear a friendly, 'hello', as you walked from your cottage to the pool or beach. Due to it's intimate size, you really could get to know people here, or you could be on your own in your private world.

There was a mixed group during our 10 day stay, from young couples in their 20s on honeymoon to older couples who had been married for decades. I felt very comfortable there as a 30-something year old.

We enjoyed all the meals - so yummy! And the fact that you could have whatever drink you wanted from 10am until quite late. Titus, who tended to serve bar in the Clubhouse, is well known for his drinks. My husband says you MUST ask for the 'Ground Smurf', a drink Titus came up with for him and another guest. But if that doesn't sound like it's for you, Titus will make you anything you want.

The serve-your-own bar by the pool was a godsend - you could make just about anything, and included both name brand liquors & beer as well as juices and soft drinks. If you are a beer drinker, do try the Piton beer - it's fantastic!

Mosquitos were a problem, but that was due more to not having the right type of spray for my legs...we didn't have one in our room with the air and fan going (as well as the spray in the room). We were told that the green OFF can is the one to use...too bad you can't buy it in the UK...but you could get it in supermarkets in St Lucia.

Tours I'd suggest - definitely do the Brig Unicorn all day sail. We had a great time! And if you can go scuba diving, do it through Scuba St Lucia at Anse Chastanet Resort...if you are lucky, you'll get to try it out with oldest working diver!

I hope that someday we can return to East Winds. It was a wonderfully relaxing place to have sun and sand!

• Liked — The people, food and drink.
  • Disliked — nothing
11 Thank americaninengland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Yorkshire
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I returned to East Winds Inn after an absence of 8 years with some trepidation, wondering whether it would still be as good as I remembered it - it was better! This time I travelled with my 80 year old mum and 6 year old daughter whilst my husband went to the TT Races. Other reviews tell you about the lovely food, great wines and friendly attentive staff (several of whom I remember from 8 years ago!). There is very little extra I can add to this, except that if you are not pleased with the food or wine selection here, then you perhaps need to be paying double the price for your holiday..

The resort is almost totally flat (slight incline up to the Deluxe Rooms), so was great for my mum who has a hip replacement. We stayed in one of the Superior Rooms, the same as 8 yrs ago and they are located very close to the pool, bars and restaurant, so suited us really well. The hotel allows children, but does not particularly provide facilities for them, so if your child needs the company of other children or a kids club then don't choose this hotel. However, my daughter loved it here and was made very welcome by the staff. She spent the majority of the time in the pool, talking to the two parrots Mac and Eric (who were also there 8 yrs ago!), shell hunting on the beach and latterly playing with 2 other children who arrived half way through our holiday. We didn't have a TV in our room, but she took her PSP with her and plenty of drawing materials and was more than happy.

I really like the rooms there. I would have preferred air conditioning as the temperature at night seemed warmer than our previous trip to the hotel, which was in April 1999. However after the first couple of nights I got used to the heat and the wildlife noises (tree frogs and birds!). The beds are really comfortable and the rooms are cleaned to a high standard each day.

The breakfast selection is great for adults and kids. Just about everything you could want, including sausage and beans and loads of local fresh fruit for my daughter. Smoked Salmon was on the breakfast buffet some mornings. There was always something my daughter would eat from the lunch buffets and if the dinner menu wasn't suitable for her, the chef was always happy to drum up something child friendly, such as fish goujons and chips.

Even though the hotel was full towards the end of our stay, it still seemed really peaceful and there is ample sunbathing space on the beach and by the pool. Most people tended to go to the beach, but we enjoyed the pool with its swim up bar where you help yourself to drinks.

Useful points to note (thank you to a previous reviewer for giving me some of this information) : -

1. Beach towels are delivered to your room and changed daily.
2. Plug sockets are three pin, the same as in the UK so UK guests do not need an adapter.
3. Insect spray is provided in the room (spray your room before going to dinner each night - we didn't get bitten in the room at all and I had no mosquito bites all holiday).
4. There is an easy to operate safe in the wardrobe for your valuables.
5. Some toiletries are provided and a hairdryer and bathrobes.
6. The ceiling fan in the room is operated via a remote control (we didn't find it until the second night!)
7. No ironing facilities are provided, so take your own travel iron or you can pay the hotel to launder and iron your clothes.
8. The tea/coffee making facilities are provided. Coffee mate is provided but you can get a carton of fresh milk to keep in your room fridge if you ask at the bar.
9. The shopping Mall at Rodney Bay has ample Duty Free shops for present hunting and is much closer than Castries. You need to take your plane ticket and passport for Duty Free purchases.

We went on the Catamaran trip to Soufriere and the Pitons, visiting the Botanical Gardens, Sulphur Springs, swimming in a bay and travelling through Marigot Bay. It was a really great trip out. My mother was able to manage the steep steps down into the toilets and my daughter spent most of the trip with other children playing at the front of the boat. A buffet lunch was provided on the boat and there were as many drinks as you wanted provided from start to finish, including snacks.

The beach isn't the largest I have been too, but it is beautifully clean and the sea is lovely for swimming in. The snorkelling is also great and equipment is provided (including life jackets to fit children).

I have stayed at a few small all-inclusive hotels in the Caribbean and my overall view of East Winds Inn is that it a really special place to stay. I wouldn't recommend it if you are a bit anti-social as the hotel is too small to remain anonymous! Don't go with badly behaved kids either, as you will be embarassed and will ruin the holiday for other guests. I feel East Winds is tremendous value for money and I will definitely be going back again soon with my husband who was very jealous of our trip!

Thank you to Gareth and all your staff for another amazing stay at East Winds Inn.

• Liked — Attention to detail, friendly and attentive staff and the small size of the hotel
  • Disliked — The lack of air conditioning in our room, but we could have upgraded to rooms with it.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank anothergoodone
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 11, 2007

Spent our 6 night honeymoon at this fantastic, intimate resort. It is incredibly romantic--4 course meals featuring fresh fish, meat and vegetarian selection every evening--with candlelight, overlooking the ocean and 3-4 wines as well as open bar, with different live music every night (piano, saxophone, calypso). Saturday's BBQ lunch featured a steel drum band with giant shrimp, ribs, veggies--and every lunch and breakfast had amazing assortment of food. My breakfast would consist of incredible homemade yogurt, a chocolate croissant, passion fruit, mango, pineapple, sour sop, then a bite of homemade sausage or hash. There was so much more--eggs to order, bacon, cereal, toast, breakfast fish, assorted breakfast sweets, 3-4 kinds of juice, strong coffee, tea, etc. Lunch would be different every day and just as incredible--always a selection of 10-20 things to eat at every meal--the french chef and his sous chefs knew what they were doing. Many things had 2 sauces at dinner--like a tangle of sauteed calamari on isralei couscous with pesto and a wine sauce as a starter.

For those ready to relax and indulge, we balanced the calories of the delicious blended island punch and smoothies (there is a bartender available from 10am to late at night) and meals with swimming in a bay that is swept of debris, and enjoying the gorgeous architecture of the dining/bar area, the beautiful gardens, the sound of creeking bamboo, and reading. For those used to air-conditioning--I recommend getting a room with AC during late May early June. The weather was amazing--just a 5 minute rain shower each day. I loved some of the staff--especially Hanah and Merlyn. Our room (half cottage) had a cathedral ceiling, porch, and large bathroom (double sinks, with sunken tiled shower--and no curtains on the bathroom windows--but lots of foliage outside so that it was still very private). We took advantage of the snorkeling equipment and sea kayaks (all part of the all-inclusive rate). For those missing other activities, you can go next door to Windjammer for water sports, spa, etc. Windjammer blasted music all day long--which we only heard because we visited--but I was so glad we weren't staying there.

Only considerations are that there are families with children (just a few--and very well behaved), and that the locals do swim at the same beach--mostly on the weekends (but aren't allowed up to the property area where there are little thatched setups with chairs and even a whisk broom to get sand off your recliner). I thought it was good that the locals could also access the beach--and there are 24 hour security guards at the beach--in general I felt very safe and carefree.

So much attention to detail--not only were the beach and gardens swept, but I think even seaweed was removed from the water--because Windjammer had a lot more of it in the same bay. They have a laptop with internet for guests use--and we were picked up in a pristine taxi for our 75 minute drive from the airport. Bathrobes supplied, etc. They spray for mosquitos once weekly to keep the population down. The gardens are meant to be savored and enjoyed. They have fruit and herb plants as well as 100 tropical plants labelled on site and listed in a walking garden guide--and just added 6 more acres to the 13 they own--just to expand the gardens. The whole place is a little sanctuary. We can't wait to return--it was simply lovely. My groom searched high and low to make his "foodie" bride happy--and he succeeded. Lots of Britts at this place--but it is even easier for East Coast Americans to get there (no time zone adjustments, etc.) and definitely worth a trip.
Jane & Charles, Philadelphia, PA, USA

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nada
10 Thank SassyJandCLM
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2007

If you are going to St Lucia it must be to East Winds Inn. The staff are so friendly and helpful and although the atmosphere is very relaxed everything is done very professionally. The food is excellent and the menu changes daily. The cottages set amidst the gardens are large and well furnished with huge beds. Just imagine being there enjoying a glass of champagne or other drink before eating a super dinner in the restaurant overlooking the beach.
Along with countless other guests we will be returning there.

• Liked — small and friendly
  • Disliked — nothing
6 Thank Margaret J
New York, NY
Reviewed May 29, 2007

My boyfriend and I, both in our mid-twenties just returned from the most relaxing week we have ever had- and that is saying a lot being resident New Yorkers where any escape has some level of peace! We knew we wanted a serene retreat (if you are looking for a ton of acitvities and wild nightlife this is not the place for you so do your research) and that is exactly what we found.

The drive from the airport to the northwest part of the island can be long and a little harrowing, as are most of the roads in St. Lucia. East Winds arranged our taxi airport transfers, but if we had to do it over again we might have splurged for the helicoper ride from UVF, which I believe would have transfered to nearby Sandals.
We stayed in the oceanview mini-suite which afforded us a private sundeck (where we watched the sunset every evening with a Piton, the local beer, in hand), a sitting area, additional bathroom and use of a common room. I think you have to realize this is not a five star luxury hi-rise hotel so the furnishings are modest and not completely modern but it was clean, the bed was comfortable and frankly, who spends time in their room when they are in paradise anyway? The air conditioning worked fine, but we only used in a few times. The breeze from the ocean was marvelous and we slept listening to the waves.
I saw a comment about the bugs- I really only got bitten the last day and it was because there had been heavy rain the night before. I do recommend bringing bug spray anyway, especially if you plan to visit the rainforest.
The staff were exceptionally friendly, especially for the Carribbean, and overall everyone seemed to go out of there way to attend to our needs. The F&B Manager, Raymound was anxious to make sure guests were having a great experience, especially as many take all of their meals at the hotel. The food was very good overall and we enjoyed the two nights of BBQ where there were always a few choices of meat, fish and veggies to order. Again, I saw a comment about the wine choices not being the best of the best, but keep in mind they always offered 3 choices and this is included! If you have any experience with all inclusives, you will find tEast Wind's selection to be above average. We met some wonderful people and we did not have a problem with being one of the only young couples AND the only American couple at the hotel- it was actually very refreshing!
I would reccomend taking advantage of the hotel's "Dine Around" plan which allows you to dine at a local restaurant if you stay 6 nights- this was a great opportunity to leave the hotel at night and also sample a different cuisine. We went to the Coal Pot which had a lovely ambience and a nice choice of menu.

The beach was yes, small, but it was clean (see my pictures), had beautiful water and was fun for snorkeling. As mentioned by others, East Winds only has basic watersports, but we felt it was plenty. I am sure if you wanted to use the windsurfers, jet skis or Sailfish at the next-door Windjammer resort, you probably could pay for it.

We also managed to do three day trips:
1. Catamaran trip to Soufriere- some form of this trip is a must as it is the best way to get to the south and makes stops along the coast. The land part of the trip (Botanical Gardens and Volcano) were okay, but definitely big tourist business so fettered with locals trying to sell you goods and not too much to look at.
2. Grenadines Day Sail- If I have to convince anyone to do anything while in St. Lucia, it is to leave just for one day to visit the Grenadines. This is about a 40 minute plane ride (from the smaller airport 15 minutes from the hotel) and worth every cent. We booked through Barefoot Holidays (speak with Prisca) and had an amazing day of sailing to small islands and snorkeling in the most beautful waters I have ever seen. We sailed with the Scaramouche crew, a loveable band of men we swore were pirates! Palm Island was particulary gorgeous.
3. Rainforest Hike- Although the particular hike we did was very physically challenging, if you are visiting St. Lucia you must see the rainforest. It is what sets it apart from other Carribbean islands like Aruba and the Bahamas. We spoke to others at the hotel that did the Canopy Zip Line Tour or the Gondola Ride and enjoyed those.

We truly enjoyed our stay at East Winds and our trip to St. Lucia as a whole. This is a relatively untapped island for Americans and from the looks of the "coming soon" signs of bigger chain hotels, it is about to get a huge boom so visit now!

• Liked — Peace and Quiet
  • Disliked — St. Lucia has difficult traveling roads to get to attractions
6 Thank LKM430
southend
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Arrived at our hotel with two other couples luckily no other hotel drops but the drive was long and winding, a great chance to view the island.

Our first reaction was pure excitement our quaint cottage was just amazing, set amongst the most beautiful gardens. Im normally quick to find fault but I must say the room was perfect with the biggest bed I've ever seen in a hotel! Classy and traditional rather than palacial and tacky.

We wandered a short walk to the bar past the beautiful pool we were struck by how well organised everything was. Sat with the other new arrivals we all got on so well supped a few pitons and felt instantly a million miles from home.

Reading previous reviews my only real worry was that we may feel a bit too young i'm 26 but far from it, there were one or two younger couples, mainly older people though, but as said before most people were so friendly and pre lunch /dinner drinks became a regular meeting point for great chat and laughter!!

Food was great the menus were really varied the barbeques were definately our favourite!! East winds really is about relaxing there wasn't much to occupy your time apart from reading and enjoying the sun and sea. An impromptude cricket match with the staff created some excitement at the end of the hol very funny on the beach.

Now for the few miner moans, Noise from the next hotel can be annoying if sitting in the wrong position in the restaurant also the service can be really bad if your seated at the back we waited 30 minutes for our first drink one evening!

Our main aim was to check the hotel out for our wedding next year we were really keen but no one really wanted to discuss options with us. We are intending to take 10 other couples with us so you would have thought they would also be keen for our custom but we felt that no one at reception was that interested. Since our return we have looked at next years prices an they seem to have doubled I have emailed the manager but no response we feel a little cheated as we can no longer afford to go out there next year, we also dont feel the holiday would be quite worth double what we paid this year!!!

So unfortunately a sour end to what was an amazing chilled out holiday. So dissapointed we wont be going back but equally excited about where else we may discover instead!!

• Liked — Huge beds, fab shower.
4 Thank hannah80
Bristol
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Wow! We dont know where to begin! What a fantastic place to stay. The staff are friendly and efficient (especially Titus!), the food is outstanding, the beach is so tranquil and the gardens in which East WInds are based are beautiful. The head gardener even took us on a little tour, and we have attached some of the photos of this! We stayed in a superior double room with no air conditioning but found that the natural breeze combined with the room fan kept us cool enough. The snorkeling is great and we saw some amazing fish, the reefs start literally a few feet from the shore in some places in the bay.

A couple of things to note,
-the sockets are all handliy converted to take british plugs so dont worry about taking adaptors
-they provide fresh beach towels daily
-they provide a hairdryer in the room
-Take the 'convienently late' boat tour - fantastic!!

All in all a fantasic holiday, so relaxing and we cant wait to return!

Thanks to everyone at East Winds!

7 Thank MrandMrsAlgate
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!