In reading travel reviews,one should consider the perspective of the reviewer.My wife and I have spent 25 years traveling the Caribbean,and have stayed in scores of properties on dozens of islands.Our friends consider us their unofficial travel consultants,as we've stayed at them all.....luxury,basic,all-inclusives,brand new properties,large resorts,small family run inns,etc.We believe we've developed a "sense" of what makes a stay enjoyable,and from our perspective are unabashedly delighted with our recent stay at East Winds.
We have seen reviews that suggest the tastes and expectations of those from the UK are different from those of Americans.We won't attempt to speak for our friends from the British Isles,but as Americans who know what they like,and what they expect,we have nothing but good things to say about East Winds.
First,the friendly and service oriented staff make it all possible.From Gareth Leach,the long tenured GM,to the bar and wait staff,the housekeepers, beach activity,front office and grounds crew,all were polite and helpful,and truly made us feel welcome.Calling out individual staff for recognition,while perhaps well deserved,wouldn't be fair as it might imply others not noted weren't also top notch.At no time in a week's stay did we encounter anyone even approaching "surly" or "with an attitude".St Lucians are generally warm and friendly anyhow,and Gareth and his management team have picked the best of the best.
One goes to the Caribbean for the beach and the water...and East Winds delivered on it's promise of a quiet peaceful and restful beach.With plenty of shaded palapas,very comfortable new outdoor furniture,and the bar,restaurant,pool and restrooms all close by,it was easy to spend all day relaxing without any need to return to our room.If you expect action,scheduled activities,fast motorized water sports,loud music and such,don't go to East Winds.If you like a leisurely pace,quiet and undisturbed,this is about as good as it gets.
East Winds isn't pretentious,luxurious,fancy,stuffy or snobbish....it's comfortable,friendly,established and just downright enjoyable.Having traveled to St Lucia on several prior visits,we felt no need to leave the property to do or find anything else,and our every need was met right there.
After reading reviews of the food, we were a bit uncertain that we'd be impressed.We aren't "foodies" who get obsessed about things,but we were MORE than delighted at the variety,the quality and the presentation of the food,and it certainly exceeded our expectations.Our only complaint was that we never could manage to eat all the wonderful offerings we were presented! On our first night at East Winds we politely chided the bar staff for not having our liquor of choice,blended Canadian whiskey.Imagine our delight to find by the next day is was behind the bar.
Speaking of bars,the swim up,self service bar at the pool is a nice touch,but if one is too lazy to make one's own drink,it's about a 20 second walk to the beach bar,where a friendly face was always ready to fix whatever we wanted.Drinks and dinner in the evenings were always made nicer by the variety of low key,authentic music,from the piano several nights,the saxaphone on several,and the local music provided by folks who truly seemed to enjoy entertaining for us.Always,the music was just a nice backdrop,complimenting the tree frogs and the night sounds...never loud,blaring or intrusive.
The grounds at East winds are very well maintained,and there is an informative self-guided garden and plant tour,with identification of about 100 native species.The brand new yoga/pilates open air building appears about complete,and for those who enjoy such,it looks most accommodating.The "gym" (soon to be) is also outdoors,consisting of a new walking trail and a soon to be installed FitTrail exercise system.
Knowing what one wants and expects is key to selecting the right vacation spot.If you want glitz,flash,action,luxury,high tech,trendy,etc,do yourself and others a favor and book elsewhere.If you want quiet time to be together with someone special,or to just relax and do nothing,or to meet friendly and like-minded travelers,East Winds Inn is certainly a place to consider.We will absolutely be back!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, West Indies, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Booking.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet