Just back from our second holiday at East Winds and it will not be our last. This is a really lovely hotel, we had a deluxe room (no 24) which was right at the top of the hill near reception so no passing traffic. Lovely room, very comfortable - only minor niggle is that since all the other linen is so lovely it would be nice to have large bath sheets - the towels were rather small!
All the staff are fantastic with none of the grumpiness that can come with all inclusive resorts, in the bar and the restaurant they are friendly and efficient and always ready for a laugh - after several days of enjoying the champagne and wine one of the bar guys found it extremely funny when I asked for a perrier one evening - I really like that the atmosphere is such that they can do that! The food is superb - the glazed fish quenelles for a starter one evening was amazing and all the sauces are fantastic - especially the bearnaise on bbq night! The chef will always help out if something is not to your taste - I am allergic to something in curry and one bbq lunch all the marinades contained curry - three minutes later I had three slices of fillet steak cooked for me. The saturday buffet lunch is amazing - huge platters of fresh shellfish, smoked salmon, rare beef , parma ham for the cold buffet and then paella, a delicious courgette and cream pasta dish and bizarrely raclette which husband and I enjoyed enormously - though it did seem slightly strange at sea level rather than up a mountain. There is a cheese board and cold meat or smoked salmon every day for lunch if you do not fancy the hot dishes - although the roast gammon was probably as good as you will get anywhere! Only plea on food would be maybe to have a burger one day (a few of us were craving one meal of junk food!) and chips more than once a week as they were so good! Wine choices were always good and frequently replenished - it would be nice to have plastic wine glasses rather than tumblers for the beach?
Breakfast excellent and if you ask they are very happy to give you a proper teapot - otherwise the water comes in a thermos jug - if you have a teabag and lime in your cup as we do it doesn't leave much room for the water.
The gardeners take a real pride in their work - there were 3 weddings and a vows renewal when we were staying (very unusual as the manager said there are normally less than a dozen a year) and the gardeners will take the couple round the resort to choose their spot and then take a lot of time decorating and making it look beautiful and providing bouquets. A few people were complaining about bites one evening so one gardener (think he was the boss man) went to cut fresh aloe vera for us. Service like that really makes a difference. The gardens themselves are beautiful - it is well worth going round the fitness track (slowly) to have a look!
This is a sociable place - it is so small that everybody chats to each other - we had one wet day and spent the entire afternoon in the pool sitting at the bar talking (with the occasional drink thrown in!) The beach is lovely but some of the beds are definitely in need of refurb - they are sagging - probably partly due to the wonderful food that everyone eats too much of!
Johnny and Kim on the beach are great fun and will always take you out on the hobie - really good and they keep the beach swept and clean. Not much scope for walking along the beach - we walked along to Windjammer most days just for a bit of exercise - and to gloat as to how much nicer East Winds is!! Beach mostly private but two stunning black labs are walked and swum everyday about 7am if anyone is missing their dogs!!!
All in all a fantastic holiday - we were very glad our room was the furthest away as at least we got a small amount of walking up the hill to work off the meals! Hopefully we will be back in a couple of years
We opted for a private transfer from the airport arranged via Natascha the Virgin Rep. Comfortable and an awful lot better than the coach which is their standard transfer whichever cabin of the plane you are travelling on. She also arranged check in/chill out for us although there were only 9 of us leaving - there were problems with overbooking in the premium cabins and that way we were all assured of our seats - well done to her for sorting an issue which could have been very difficult!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, West Indies, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet