“Awesome ride”
Review of Island Riders

Island Riders
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We called Bano the night before we wanted to ride and booked him, no problem. We met him outside the Pigeon Point national park meaning we didn't have to pay to get into the park. The ponies look slimmer then in UK but are very well cared for. The highlight was going into the sea on horse back and swimming with the horses.
We were slightly concerned that there wee no riding hats, no body protectors and that the kids could wear whatever they wanted on their feet, e.g. Flip flops. Having said that there were no problems, it was all at a walking pace and it was the kids' favourite activity of the holiday.

2  Thank Mark W
in 17 reviews
"caribbean"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed June 2, 2014

brilliant day fun laughter very enjoyable day . Meet some wonderful people on this day out around the island by boat and by road. Saw lots of amazing sights. Would defiantly recommend this trip to all.The Volcano and mud baths where very different but an experience one will never forget.The Botanical Gardens were a joy to walk round and the guide told us all what things were. A lovely day out and a lot packed in, in not too may hours,

1  Thank HAUGHLEY
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We took a last minute ride with Bano in March 2014. The ride itself was good: we went through the local town in Gros Islet, saw the school, heard the locals singing in Church, rode through the streets. It was nice! We spent a good amount of time in the water with the horses. It was also good to stop at a local bar for a quick drink and stretch our legs half-way through. The horses were in good condition! The bad: We were not guided by Bano, but by one of the friends. His friend didn't talk much, and was kind of curt. Bano met up with us at the local bar, so he wasn't busy, but it seemed like he didn't want to do be doing this either. He didn't say much and it felt kind of awkward. We tried to ask him questions about his life here but his responses were a bit short. The worst part was when the ride was over the guide took the horses and said "see ya" and turned his back. Bano was no where to be found and no one said goodbye. :/ It was kind of rude and at the least very unfriendly. So we left feeling kind of confused and unfulfilled.

It's a shame because I was so excited to find a decent stable with good horses. The content of the ride itself was excellent, but the atmosphere was lacking. Maybe it was an off day?

10  Thank xsearingheaven
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed in st Lucia a few years ago and would go back just to see Bano again.

Let me start with saying that I am a responsible horse owner and have nothing negative to say about the care about his horses. You can't compare horse care in the carribean to horse care in the states, it's not the same. Totally different environment and access to care. All the horses looked in good health. Hooves were in good shape, no one looked sick, a little thin but nothing that was brought on by neglect. It's obvious they are taken care of. When the horses aren't working they are turned out an ample grazing.

The horses are well behaved and even my husbands horse behaved very well with my amateur husband giving him mixed signals at all gaits. My horse at home would have dumped him haha.

Bano was very accommodating on the ride, meaning he accommodated myself a more accomplished rider and my husband the beginner rider. He let me gallop up and down the beach while holding my husband back keeping him safe. He also allowed me extra time in the water.

We stopped at a local bar which was fun and then at a local place for lunch which was also good. We got to experience the outskirts if the resort which was a nice experience. Was interesting to see how everyone lives and seeing wild chickens and goats running around loose :)

I don't recommend this if you are uptight and don't have an open mind. It was a great adventure for my husband and I. It was a fun and laid back experience for us. I recommend this to anyone seeking fun off the resort.

We also did a horseback ride through sandals and there is no comparison. The sandals horseback ride was horrible!!! Bano was fantastic!

Thank you Bano, snowflake and strongman.

9  Thank Kristen R
See more reviews
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Russ and I spent a wonderful morning with Bano in October (I know, better late than never!) after booking a private ride and much of the experience was down to this being truly a ride in the local style.

We met Bano at Pigeon Island, a 10 minute taxi ride from our hotel, where he was waiting with our horses. After making sure we were comfortably mounted he gave us a few minutes to walk our horses around and get a feel for them (and for them to check out our riding ability!) before setting off. Within minutes we were cantering along the causeway towards Gros Islet.

Highlights of the 2½ hr trip were the canter along the beach, riding the horses bareback through the waves against the stunning Caribbean back-drop, sharing the lime at Bano’s local Irie bar and, memorably, riding the horses through the drive-thru ATM and thanks to Bano we have many photos of the experience to add to our holiday album.

We didn’t get hassled by local vendors during the ride as was suggested in a couple of previous reviews and weren’t even expected to pay for drinks at the bar, though we chose to do so.

The only word of caution to anyone reading this review is that we found the experience such fun simply because it was so far removed from the constraints of riding in the UK (I wouldn’t dream of cantering my own horse down my local high street even if I was wearing a helmet!), which may not be as appealing to everyone.

2  Thank lyeardley