I have to start by saying our December trip is our second visit, first was January 2010.
We have seen all the rooms, and most of the cabins.
Room layout with the jacuzzi (or plung pool for cabins) is great. There is more then enough closet and storage space. With the heat reflective coating on the glass there is no need for more window coverings then there is. Rooms are quite.
Contrary to our English friends, I would say the QUALITY and correct quantity of food per serving is there.
If you are a hamburger or bangers and mash type you might find the menu a bit restrictive.
The main menu for lunch and dinner is changed every 3 months, every day they have a sheet of specials that go allong with the main menu, so it never gets borring.
My personal favs. are the lamb, duck, trigger fish, mahi mahi, marlin, and rabbit.
The Christmas meal was one of the best meals I have ever had, started with the chestnut soup, then smoked duck, then Scottish salmon (both had flavours that burst like fireworks in your mouth) and finished with a plumb pudding. You also had the standard ham and turkey to choose from.
Asked French chef Didier to come out, thanked him for such a great meal. My wife to be and him agreeded that both him and I would eat anything with eight legs or less that moved. As he made his way back to the kitchen many of the tables thanked him as well.
Next day had repeat of the smoked duck and the rabitt that arrived to late for Christmas.
Both the red and white wine selection are great.
Before we left we emailed the hotel to make sure they would have Crown Royal and some other liquors that we like on hand, but would not normally have. Konrad and Cris made sure it was there.
This is a place to come and totally relax and unwind. Some people do not actually leave the resort. This time we rented a car.
We have gone all over the world looking for a resort like this, have even gone to the East Winds (both the place and concept should be demolished and redone) not far from the Calabash.
We are going back December 2011 to be married.
Contrary to the review before this I think the resort should be adding a star
Would als like to thank Thmas (talkason), Lilly, Lance, Cris, Jonathon, Barbra (house keeping) and all the girls in the restaurant for the great times and the ones to come.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on gently sloping, tropical beachfront on the northwest coast of the island, Calabash Cove is one of just a select few five-star resorts on St. Lucia. Nestled in the sheltered bay of Bonaire Estate, Calabash Cove is perched on a hillside sloping gently towards the Caribbean Sea, where cool ocean breezes provide a wonderful respite and the turquoise sea is offset by the vibrant green of tropical vegetation and views of Walcott Island. A private beach and nearby coral reef provide the perfect place to rest, reflect and dream. The resort has been designed with great care to complement and exist in harmony with the beauty of the natural surroundings. The main buildings of the hotel, such as the lobby, restaurant, bar, sanctuary, and infinity pool with waterfall lie on a slope, with the villas in the midst of lush vegetation perfectly situated to view nightly sunsets. The natural elements of earth, wind, light and water are represented in the exotic wood, stone and natural materials used in the composition of the buildings. The peaceful and tranquil gardens, under the care of one of the finest landscape architects in the Caribbean, have been created to capture and optimize the natural splendor of the area and are filled with vibrant, fragrant flowers set amid groves of trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, West Indies, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelsClick, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Calabash Cove Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Calabash Cove Hotel Gros Islet
- Calabash Cove Resort And Spa St. Lucia/Gros Islet