“Best Vacation in my life. Relaxation, hospitality, food, the whole package”

Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed here in July, 2009. We stumbled across it on the internet. We have been all over Europe, Hawaii, Austrailia, etc. This vacation was the most relaxating one I have ever had. The only 5 star restaraunt on the island is in this hotel. We stayed in cottage 5, which is all by itself on the waterfront. Your own plunge pool, outside shower, the food, service, hospitality, etc were second to none. We felt like royalty. Barbara, Chris,Dwayne, Skittles, the whole staff took excellent care of us. We had dinner on the board walk, breakfast served on our deck, massages on our deck, and great recommedations from the staff on where to go. This was truly our best vacation ever. You can contact us [--] in Louisiana, U.S. Steven or Leanne Lea.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Prelude1234

Reviewed January 12, 2010

My wife and I had a trip booked for Cancun but saw the weather and decided to make a last minute change the night before we were supposed to leave. It was our 15 wedding anniversary and just wanted to chill out and do nothing for 4 days. Boy are we glad we did.

Getting there was easy as we had a direct flight on Jet Blue from JFK. The cab ride to the hotel was a bit long (1 1/2 hrs) but it was nice to see the beautiful country side. The driver stopped along the way so we could take some pictures and grab a few drinks....

Turning on to the road to the hotel left us a bit unsure that we had made the right decision, as it was a small narrow BUMPY road that makes you feel like you are going to be staying in a dump. After reaching the end of the road you are so pleasantly surprised with a beautiful open atrium overlooking the Caribbean. It is quite and all you hear is ambient music in the background the relaxing sound of a slight ocean breeze that I have only experienced in high up in the mountains of Santorini.

We were greeted with a drink and a quick trip to our room. While we would have liked to stay at one of the cottages or the swim up villas at the last minute a junior sweet was the only thing available. We were completely happy where we were. The hotel is new and very nicely decorated forcing you to relax and decompress.

We quickly headed to the lounge area overlooking the Caribbean and proceed to take complete and utter advantage of our all inclusive package, ordering the Samuari shrimp and fried goat cheese. We may go back for these two dishes alone!

There is Wifi everywhere so while we were able to decompress we were also able to skype home whenever we wanted and still keep in touch which important for us with 3 kids. (FYI if you have an Iphone download the skype application which will allow you to use your phone as a cell phone in a Wifi enable area.)

Conrad the managing Director is always present to make sure everything is taken care of. While some of the reviews complained that the service was a bit slow, I tend to agree but quite honesty I was in no rush and was totally fine with the level of service. Even if things were a bit slow they always came with a smile, and if you are impatient a friendly reminder may get you what you want a few minutes faster.

After two days roughing it in the junior suite which was VERY nice, a cottage opened up up and we moved to Heaven.....all I can say is that you will not be disappointed.

My wife and I travel frequently and very rarely visit the same place twice, but this will defiantly be a place we visit again. If you want to get away and RELAX for 4 or 5 days this is the perfect place. There is not much to do in terms of entertainment , but if you are looking for the perfect place to recharge and totally relax this is a WINNER. Don't think twice ... book it!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HelpINeedaVacation
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We just cam back from an extraordinary 4 days at Calabash Cove and, unusually for us, we are even thinking about going back next year. We had a waterside cottage -- which was a treat -- and although it wasn't the most secluded unit, it was still wonderfully designed and perfect for us.

Pros:
- Newer hotel with a beautiful location
- well designed units
- pleasent, helpful staff
- very close to "small" airport
- very good food

Cons:
- "Caribbean-speed" of service. Nothing happens quickly -- but that isn't unusual for this part of the world
- Fairly simple spa and work-out areas -- though we did have good massages
- distance from the "big" airport, which requires a long drive or a short helicopter ride

If you want a peaceful vacation in a wonderful place, this is the location for you. If you want action, excitement or snap-your-finger service, you may want to look somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chavgopal
Reviewed January 11, 2010

An unforgettable experience - for all the wrong reasons.

Wedding Video Ordered - Did not happen.

Wedding breakfast ordered for the morning after wedding - Did not arrive.

Steel Band Requested - got one man on a pair of drums.

(Good job the Registrar and Photographer did a good job.)

SUGGESTION....If you are thinking of a beautiful Caribbean Wedding don't trust to luck with Calabash Cove. If you already have one planned, talk with the wedding planners and get it all written down. Do not assume or trust anything.

However, do not think it was all that bad. The associated holiday was good.

The cottage accomodation was more than adequate and fronted a small secluded beach with no beach sellers.

The restaurant, 77 steps up from cottage 3, commands a good view over the bay.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served there.
The food was well prepared and the range of drinks excellent.
The friendly staff provided a welcoming, if sometimes erratic, service.

On the down side the lunch and dinner menu is the same.After 4 days this can get boring, unless of course you like the "catch of the day", then you could have it for lunch and dinner.

The Calabash Cove website pictures show the resort as it is.
Just remember not to let your imagination think that it is a 5 star resort yet.

2  Thank Mike E
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Calabash Cove is a lovely small hotel with friendly staff and great views.

The property is terraced so there are lots of steps. (The stairwells with terracotta tiles get v slippery after rain).

There is a huge pool and a (nice) small beach. Parasols at the beach but not poolside. Spa and gym on site too.

The restaurant food is good but the service is very slow - something we never got used to even when we'd relaxed to 'island time'.

We had an ocean view suite which was nicely done out complete with coffee maker and dressing gowns. TV channels included kids cartoons, US sports and world news as well as local channels of course.

Our balcony seemed to get the sun all day and had a day bed as well as a wooden table and chairs.

All in all Calabash Cove is a lovely place for a week of rest and relaxation.

Ps. If you go into Rodney Bay you must eat at the Big Chief Steakhouse - the food is amazing.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo1964London
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I have to agree with part of the last review. My husband and I travelled to Calabash Cove for our honeymoon in December and for the amount of money that we spent, I expected more.

Positives:
- Staff is very friendly
- We stayed in cottage #4 and it was beautiful. Very spacious and we loved the outdoor shower. It was also very secluded which was a plus.
- Food was good. It started off average for the first couple of days and then it got considerably better.
- Peaceful location.
- Barbara, the maid is really nice. She would always say hi when she came by and asked how our day was going.
- Grounds were always kept very clean, the foliage is beautiful.
- The pool was never over crowded. I am usually an ocean person but I loved spending time in the pool.

In between
- The service started off bad to average. There were times that my husband had to get up from dinner and get our drinks because they were sitting at the bar for 20 minutes. The waiter would be talking to the other staff members instead of doing his job. This got better over time. The resort needs more consistency.

Negatives:
- We did not get picked up from the airport, which was included in our package. We wandered around for 20 minutes looking for our driver and finally called the resort to which they replied "oh, I thought we were picking you up from Bay gardens", This was extremely frustrating considering I sent them our flight information more than once.
- We arrived to see that we were booked in cottage #8 instead of #4. I had confirmation that we specifically wanted #4 so we spoke to Konrad (the manager) and he argued with me for 5 minutes saying that it was impossible that it was confirmed and that I just wanted it so badly in my head that I made it up. I later forwarded him the confirmation email upon our arrival back home and he appologized. I was shocked that manager would actually argue with a guest like that.
- We continually had to ask to have more shampoo/conditioner, towels and our fridge restocked.
- My husband got food poisioning one night from the paella.
- Pool bar was not always staffed, although I believe it was better than normal. There was many couples hanging around the pool when we were there so I think that's why they had someone working there more often.
- The road to the resort is horrendous, but I hear that most of them are.
- They do have North American outlets in the cottages but none in the bathroom. Instead of having two 220V plugs, they should have one of each.

5  Thank mrsstupz
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I was very much looking forward to my week long stay at Calabash Cove over new year 2009/10, however im afraid to report that we were somewhat disappointed. This comes as a surprise to me considering the overwhelming volume of positive feedback on this site.

However, I think it is only right to start with the positives:
- Timely and very comfortable pick up from the airport and transfer to the hotel (approx 90 mins, with a nice stop for a drink en route)
- Friendly welcome with refreshing towels
- Helpful advice on excursions from the manager
- Food was very good indeed (when it eventually arrived, more of that later) – I would recommend the lamb on the dinner menu!
- Pool was very nice and lots of sun loungers
- Amazing views from all locations, with great sunsets

Yet, in my opinion there is significant room for improvement, most particularly in the restaurants and overall service at the hotel. I have set out below the key issues in my opinion:

- Consistently long waiting time for meals at the restaurant – Wait of over an hour for breakfast and lunch (nearly) every day, dinner on the second night at the hotel was well over two hours, lunch one day was also over two hours and one morning we had to wait an hour for room service. In my view the waiting staff were also somewhat forgetful and very sloppy at times (we once had to send back my girlfriend’s lunch twice). I dont know if this was the result of not staffing adequately for a full hotel, but there is clearly room for improvement here. Also, the tablecloths were nor ironed nor were they changed between diners, resulting in a poor initial impression when you sat down to eat (food marks on the tables etc).

- Housekeeping left significant room for improvement – A number of small issues that could be easily fixed, were simply left unattended resulting in an overall sense of carelessness: safe not working on arrival, no shampoo or shower gel on arrival (half used bottle in the shower) that was not replenished at any point except when I asked for it, light in the bathroom not working for two days, bathrobes not replaced etc

- Spa was in fact nothing more than two small rooms (with no windows), there are no other facilities one would usually associate with a spa (steam, sauna, plunge pool etc). However, the ladies that worked there were very nice and did a good job. The fitness centre is nothing more than three or four machines and some free weights in a room.

Individually, none of the issues set out above would be an issue in themselves but taken together they combined to become very annoying. It must be said that when we complained to the manager after a particularly long lunch wait the manager tried to be responsive and showed concern.

Essentially, Calabash is a very nice hotel and could be lovely place to spend a holiday. However, I think the traveller’s overall experience will be very much determined by what one was expecting. I have to admit that I expected a high end, luxury resort – this is where the hotel positions and prices itself. However, in my opinion Calabash is far from a five star resort so if this is what you are looking for then I think you may feel the same as I did.

7  Thank Devs101
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#4 of 14 in Gros Islet

Been to Calabash Cove Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!