When looking for our honeymoon destination we wanted peace and quiet, something very different from our normal everyday lives. After explaining to our travel agent I did not want to search for a pool or beach chair she explained that a Sandals or larger hotel is not for us and provided us with info on Calabash Cove. It appeared to be everything we wanted. A 26 room resort, with the all-inclusive option (which we did). We arrived and were quickly escorted to our transfer van. It took approximately an hour and a half to get to from the airport with a very scenic view because of the annual "Carnival" taking place on the main highways. The drive was beautiful and our driver showed us many things along the way. Once we turned off the main road we headed up an unpaved private road which led to our paradise.
We arrived at the main entrance and experienced our first of many breathtaking views right from the lobby. We were greeted immediately by very pleasant staff who checked us in and escorted us to our waters edge cottage (#5). We were speechless, the view is incredible. The open air living area is perfect with the fan on and the front doors open. There is a small eating area, as well as a hammock, and pool loungers outside. The Plunge Pool is bigger than we thought it would be and was always the ideal temperature for us. There is a stocked mini fridge with water, soda, wine and beer, as well as some other liquor to mix your own beverages. Plenty of closet and drawer space for our belongings, and a very comfortable bed. The bedroom is air conditioned and doors close to keep it cool. The bathroom has a large Jacuzzi tub and a double sink, as well as a private toilet area. The shower is outdoors with slotted, double-hinged doors, that we did cover with our pool towels just in case house keeping swung by and we forgot to hang the "privacy please" sign.
Cottage #5 has a walkway to the small but quaint beach which leads to the pier, with more amazing sights. Plenty of beach chairs and the resort has 2 kayaks which are first come, first serve and the front desk has free snorkeling gear you can get from them. If you want to do the wave runners the concierge will call them and they will come right up to the beach for you.
Windsong Restaurant was where we ate all but 1 meal, and that one meal was because we were on an all day tour and were provided lunch on the tour. Breakfast and Dinner were amazing, with specials everyday. We enjoyed our lunches at the pool bar. Since we had the all inclusive plan we could enjoy bottles of wine or champagne whenever we wanted. There was a "reserved" wine list you could pay for but there were plenty of options on what they included that we didn't even look at that list. At dinner there was a singer or small band each night to set the mood, and they were great. They finished up at 9 pm and then it was just the relaxing sound of the water beneath you. There were people who came from outside to use the restaurant, and I can't blame them. The food was incredible.
We did do the "Honeymoon Escapade" which included massages in the Ti Spa as well as a private dinner you could enjoy on either the pier or under the gazebo which was right above the water. We opted for the gazebo because it was covered and there was rain in the forecast (Thank goodness we did because it rained between each course) We chose the seafood and the beef option, both were delicious and even my picky husband could not find one complaint about ANY of the food at the resort. The massages were incredible in the spa, one of the best I have ever gotten actually.
There were only 4 other couples we saw the entire time we were there because it is the slow season right now but for the most part we were the only ones in the pool, Which was perfect for us. We were not on our honeymoon to meet new friends, or hear about other peoples' weddings. We came to Calabash Cove to reflect on ourselves and this new, exciting chapter of our lives we had just embarked on, as well as to relax after months of planning and preparation. Calabash Cove provided us with the private, romantic, luxurious, beautiful, relaxing atmosphere we wanted with the staff who made us feel like celebrities. Sunny, Joel, Lance, Bonita, Randal, and Rocky were the absolute best. They were all so friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs very much, which is not something you experience everywhere. They were always smiling and so polite.
The concierge has a book of tours and excursions available, and will help you reserve them if you would like. We did the deep sea fishing, a sunset cruise and the Land and Sea tour, the Land and Sea was our favorite. We also went to Rodney Bay which is a 15 minute taxi ride from the resort which is great for shopping and also has a tiny new casino which was great for a couple hours out after dinner one night.
This resort is not made for children and I would not recommend bringing children there. It is a very romantic, quiet resort made for couples who are looking to relax and celebrate each other. There is not an abundance of nightlife. Calabash Cove was the best decision we could have made for our honeymoon and provided us with EXACTLY what we wanted...amazing views, delicious food, impeccable service, privacy and romance. Thank you to all the staff there for making our honeymoon July 21-28th, 2014 one we will never forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on gently sloping, tropical beachfront on the northwest coast of the island, Calabash Cove is one of just a select few five-star resorts on St. Lucia. Nestled in the sheltered bay of Bonaire Estate, Calabash Cove is perched on a hillside sloping gently towards the Caribbean Sea, where cool ocean breezes provide a wonderful respite and the turquoise sea is offset by the vibrant green of tropical vegetation and views of Walcott Island. A private beach and nearby coral reef provide the perfect place to rest, reflect and dream. The resort has been designed with great care to complement and exist in harmony with the beauty of the natural surroundings. The main buildings of the hotel, such as the lobby, restaurant, bar, sanctuary, and infinity pool with waterfall lie on a slope, with the villas in the midst of lush vegetation perfectly situated to view nightly sunsets. The natural elements of earth, wind, light and water are represented in the exotic wood, stone and natural materials used in the composition of the buildings. The peaceful and tranquil gardens, under the care of one of the finest landscape architects in the Caribbean, have been created to capture and optimize the natural splendor of the area and are filled with vibrant, fragrant flowers set amid groves of trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda and West Indies so you can book your Calabash Cove Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Calabash Cove Hotel Gros Islet
- Calabash Cove Resort And Spa St. Lucia/Gros Islet