“Small, exclusive and beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calabash Cove Resort and Spa

Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
surrey
“Small, exclusive and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I went with a friend for a special birthday treat and it didn't disappoint us at all. Beautiful location, lovely friendly people, peaceful and tranquil. I would return anytime. It's not the place for you if you want noise, events and people, but for a relaxing holiday it's absolutely fantastic.
The wifi is variable depending on your room, but that's all I can think of that's even vaguely negative. My advice is go there and soon!

Room Tip: no wifi in room 202
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank number-42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a lovely resort if you are looking for something quiet. The way the resort is built means you get a great view from all rooms and from the dining room and pool. The best thing about this resort are the staff. Nothing is too much trouble and they genuinely want to help. Unusually this includes everyone - owner, manager, bar & restaurant staff, housekeeping and gardeners. (hope I haven't missed anyone out). Almost forgot the guys in the spa - great massage. It is small so doesn't have a great choice of food, restaurants, bars, pools, beaches and if you are looking for something lively this isn't the resort for you. We came for a complete chill and weren't disappointed.

Things they could improve on; a very simple thing would be to have radios / ipod docks in the rooms. We're not interested in watching the tv on this type of holiday but love to listen to music. The wifi is a little temperamental. The food was, at times, fantastic, and at other times ok. So a bit more consistency wouldn't go amiss. I'd agree with the reviewer who felt breakfast was limited. Cereal options would be welcome. The beach is ok and we spent most days there. I couldn't describe it as a picture postcard Caribbean beach. The sand is a little rough. One final thing - it would be great to have better access to water sports e.g. a couple of catamarans.

All said, we have had a great time and would return. It's a lovely, quiet resort with very friendly people and great service so if you want to get away from it all without too much formality I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Plazac
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is the hotels strap line and it does exactly that. This is the perfect place to go and relax, chill out,have some good food, yummy cocktails, meet nice people, and be looked after by the most amazing staff. In particular Unita the Manager, Lance, Jonathon and Lilly felt like old friends by the time we left.
We stayed in a standard room and it was beautiful. Really big and with a lovely sea view from our spacious balcony. Huge bath for two with a jacuzzi was a great touch.We took the all inclusive option and it was worth every penny. The food was great and the wine, cocktails and anything else you could want was always available.
The beach is small and quiet and like a picture postcard. The pool is large, spotlessly clean with a swim up bar. The sun loungers were very luxurious and there was always an option to get out of the sun.
As the hotel is small it never got crowded or busy but there was a lovely atmosphere and always somebody to talk to if you wanted to, or a private corner to be on your own if that is your thing.
We would recommend this hotel without reservation and you really will unlock your soul and rest your mind.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are excellent. Cottages have that extra bit of privacy with their own plunge pool...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandy m
andalusia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Please email me if you have any questions about this wonderful hotel. It is beautiful. We saw all of the other places and I would stay here again. Johnathan the bartender is AWESOME !!! I am ready to go back ! Do not go to fish fry ... !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wpouncey45685
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am excited to review Calabash, I have been to a handful of amazing boutique resorts and stayed in a handful private villas around the world now and I can say without a doubt that Calabash Cove is one of the best. It felt like the owners perfected every detail. My Husband and I traveled to St Lucia and stayed in the waters edge cottage, cottage #4, for our Honeymoon. There are many resorts on the island with multiple, standard hotel rooms over looking the ocean, and some with private villas overlooking the ocean, but few with private villas, with your own private plunge pool, just steps from the ocean. This is what drew me to Calabash and never disappointed me. The couples I spoke to staying inside the hotel were also extremely impressed with the hotel suites as well.

The Hotel in general is very clean, the grounds are in perfect condition with natural trees and shrubs to give each guest privacy. The lobby, restaurant, bars, and pool area are wonderfully clean. Nothing is old and worn down, no bird droppings on the loungers or leaves in the pool. The rooms are immaculate, furniture, bedding, bathrooms, everything is very well maintained. I am a clean freak who normally wipes door handles, phones, remotes and light switches with cleaning wipes when I arrive at a hotel, it felt so clean, I didn't bother. In the cottage: the bed was comfortable I give it an 8 out of 10 and the pillows were nice also. The A/C works wonderful, there is only A/C in the bedroom but the natural breeze is fine in the rest of the cottage throughout the day. The living room is nice. The TV is in the living room so if you choose to watch TV it must be on the couches, there is a mini fridge and bar sink with a coffee pot. There are french doors that open your living room in the patio. The patio is very large with amazing views and multiple loungers. A day bed, a table for two, a comfy reading chair, and a hammock. The bathroom is a wonderful size, private toilet, huge jet tube, two sinks and access to your outdoor shower. The outdoor shower is defiantly a highlight of the cottage.

The food is amazing! My husband and I do not drink a lot and do not eat meat so we decided not to do the all inclusive plan in order to try different restaurants in town. Calabash’s restaurant surpassed most other restaurants we dined at in Rodney Bay, the nearby town. They have specials that change daily that normally consist of 3/4 appetizers and 3/4 entrees, normally a pasta, fish and meat option. They also have a decent sized standard menu. Every dish had incredible flavor, fair portions, and well priced compared to other restaurants nearby. The service is always magnificent, they are en route to refill your drink before you set down your empty glass. The pool bar has another menu similar to most bar food but still wonderful and fresh food. The drinks are delicious! If you go, try Lance’s banana-mango-tango, it is delicious and uses fresh bananas from the island! We did enjoy breakfast on property every day, either room service or in the restaurant. The food was always well cooked and exactly what we ordered. However, after 10 days the options did get tiresome. Your options are only egg based dishes, their “island special,” which involved fish, and fruits, breads, and yogurts. I would have liked to have seen crepes, french toast, pancakes.... anything other than eggs.

We visited in early October. It was the end of their slow season, most places were open and the weather was perfect all but for a few rainy days. It felt as if we had the resort to ourselves which was wonderful! Toured the end of our stay the resort became more busy and there were more families. This was fine, but I feel like Calabash is a very romantic and personal resort. When there are children swimming in the pool and playing in the ocean it just changes the feel. It wasn’t to terrible of a distraction, but hard to relax in a lounger and read by the ocean when a kids are playing in the sand a few feet away. I do think Calabash should commit themselves to being a couples resort, but that’s just my opinion.

We chose to book most of our tours and excursions through a a tour agency, Sunlink Tours. Sunlink offered the same tours and excursions as Calabash and other tour companies, they just happened to be the first people that offered them to us. All of the tours were great, however most of the other people on the tour were 50+, nothing wrong with that, but I would have preferred more people our age. The only tour/ excursion we went through Calabash was SNUBA diving, the experience was great and there were many more couples our age and on their honeymoon. I would recommend waiting till you get to the resort and book tours with Calabash directly.

A few things that make this place stand out. About mid way through our stay I had left my Ray Ban sunglasses at the main pool. I didn't notice till 11am the following day with no sunglasses in site. I spoke to the front desk and within a few hours I had every employee, even the landscapers, telling me they were on the hunt. They even had security come to our room and take a full written report. They treated my sunglasses like missing diamond earrings. Within 24 hours I had my glasses back. Also, my husband celebrated his Birthday during our stay. We planned massages and dinner on the gazebo overlooking the water. The day before I spoke with the front desk to ask them if they could surprise my Husband by writing Happy Birthday with flowers on our bed (they wrote things like welcome the few days before.) Front desk said they would handle it and I went on with my day. The day of my Husband’s birthday every single staff member made it a point to personally tell him happy birthday by name. Both the massage therapist and waitress at dinner even sang him Happy Birthday. After our private dinner, when we returned to our room ‘Happy Birthday’ was written in flowers on our bed, a bottle of champagne in our room, a bubble bath drawn, flower petals and lit candles throughout the bathroom..... it was wonderful! Every single member of the Calabash staff went out of there way to make our stay special, we are so thankful to have spent our Honeymoon with them and would recommend them to anyone. Thank you Calabash staff for the perfect Honeymoon.

Room Tip: As for cottages I feel cottage 1 was the most private, followed by 9,5,2,3,4,8,7,6 In that order. 1...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rachel85rc
Kent, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first visit to the Caribbean so we were a bit apprehensive. No need - this hotel was fantastic in every way. The food, the staff, a changing menu and a great all inclusive deal. Being a small hotel it was ideal just to chill and that is exactly what we did.

Room Tip: The best rooms in the main building are the middle two that open onto the pool
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was amazing. We stayed here for the 2nd half of our honeymoon, and absolutely loved it.

Room - we stayed in one of the 4 swim up suites - our door swung open to a patio and then stepped directly into the pool. Very cool. Jacuzzi in room, 4 poster bed, few chairs, and a desk. Stand up shower and 2 sinks. Liquor/wine in room. Soft drinks and water too which are replenished daily. Room not huge, but very nice. Oujr housekeeper also left flowers for us each day. Nice touch.

Food - The food here is delicious. DELICIOUS. The presentation and service are equally impressive. Dinner every night was a treat. Daily specials help keep the menu fresh. There is live music at dinner, which is a really nice touch.
Breakfast and lunch also very good. Room service easy to order if you don't feel like making it to the dining room.

Staff - the people here are great. Super attentive, want to help, very friendly. The hotel manager was on site often to greet us and ask us how we were doing. I wish they wore nametags so I knew their names. Unita, take note.

Pool/Beach - great infiniti pool. Good size, swim up to pool bar, plenty of lounge chairs in different areas for relaxing. The cottages have their own plunge pools as well. The beach is small but nice. You have to take a short walk (1-2 minutes) to get down to the beach. They have kayaks and snorkeling gear you can use free of charge.

One important thing to note - this resort is very quiet and private. Relaxation is the main concept here. There are only 20-something rooms in the resort, and you can go the entire day without seeing many people. This is a place to unwind and relax, and they make it very easy to do that. if you are looking for a party, this isn't your place.

We also took a land/sea tour by open Jeep/Catamaran. Definitely recommend this - saw many different sites on the island - fruit farm, botanical gardens, 2 waterfalls, volcano, the Pitons, Marigot Bay, went swimming/snorkeling, and more. Great way to spend the day.

Overall, great time. Slow pace, very relaxing. Would recommend it, and would return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Calabash Cove Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!