“revisiting my home”

Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
Austin, Texas
“revisiting my home”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

After 32 years of being absent from my beautiful country, I decided to take a trip back, I booked my vacation with vacations to go/ all inclusive, what a great choice I made. although I was the only single person there it was still a WONDERFUL treat. From the moment I arrive at this resort i knew this was a perfect choice. I had salt fish and cucumbers with a side of fresh fruits every morning, I Never got tired of the sun coming up over the water or the sun setting in the evening from my room.
The staff was incredible down to the pool cleaner, they remembered my name, there was always someone there to greet you, and even treated my guest with respect. This was a great way to re-introduce myself to my home. THANKS EVERYONE and sorry my review was so late coming!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stay at the Boiled Frog Guesthouse in Choc Bay whenever we go to St. Lucia, a lovely family run ocean side residence with great ambiance and access to the beach. But somedays you just want the resort experience. Calabash Cove Resort offers free day passes to their resort in exchange for purchasing your drinks and beverages from their pool / snack bar and/or restaurant. You get to use their lovey infinity pool, beach, beach towels and loungers for the price of what you consume during the day. A very reasonable and inexpensive option given that the day passes to Sandals hotels start at $100 US per person.

So if you want the resort experience without the resort price, this is definately the best bang for your dollar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We took a water taxi up the west coast of St. Lucia to Castries since we stayed at Ladera Resort in Soufriere for the first four nights of our honeymoon. I highly recommend the picturesque 25-minute water taxi to the hour cab ride on curvy roads that people puke on.

Calabash Cove is tucked away on a weird residential road, but I kind of like that because it's unexpected and private. No monstrous Sandals resort that you see from a mile away. Plus, it's just a short cab ride to Rodney Bay for some action. Calabash Cove is only three years old and very pristine. Our room had A/C, TV, and a telephone - wonderful creature comforts after staying at the rustic Ladera Resort. Really nice rooms, clean, nice view of the ocean from the deck. We did the European option - just breakfast was included, which was incredibly generous. Full choice of the menu, either at the open-air restaurant or as room service. Unless you plan to drink yourself under the table every day, I really recommend the European meal option instead of All Inclusive. But, I don't recommend room service. It took four tries for someone to even answer the phone (at 9:00 AM) and then our order was screwed up. We heard the same issues from other couples at the resort.

The pool has an infinity edge overlooking the ocean and a swim-up bar. What more could you ask for? The bartenders were very friendly. 90% of people visiting St. Lucia are honeymooners and since Calabash Cove has so few rooms we got to know the five other couples pretty well, which was fun. Really nice deck lounge chairs at the pool, too. Walk down a staircase and a short path to a very private beach. Our entire five night stay we saw maximum five other people on that beach. Drag one of the resort's kayaks into the ocean and have a nice paddle.

One day I wanted to make an appointment at the spa for a mani/pedi. After four tries before anyone answered the phone - again - I got into the spa same-day. It's TINY. In the middle of it, I had to get up and move so they could push furniture around to make room for a bride to get her hair done. On another day we booked the Romantic Honeymoon Escapade: couples massage, private dinner at the gazebo on the water, then return to your room for a bubble bath, champagne, and chocolate. Well, we show up for our couples massage at 4:00 only to be told we had been bumped back to 4:30 and no one had bothered to tell us. We come back at 4:30 and had our massages. My woman had a hangnail or something and scratched the hell out of me, but my husband swears it was the best massage of his life. So, I guess it's hit or miss. As we were getting dressed in the room after our massage a staff person opened the door on us while we were standing there mostly naked. Awesome. We had a half hour to shower before dinner in the gazebo, and let me tell you, that dinner was AWESOME. So tasty, great service, view of the sunset and ocean. We were giddy as we returned to our room for our bubble bath, champagne, and chocolate. We opened the door and.... NOTHING. Our room was just as we left it. My husband went to tell someone and I don't know what happened in the conversation but we left the room for 20 minutes and came back to just the bubble bath. FORGET IT.

In summary, Calabash Cove is an amazing resort with all the luxuries you'd want for your honeymoon - awesome pool, private beach, good food and drinks... just don't go to the spa, book a package, or expect anyone to answer the phone. I'd still definitely go back, maybe for our fifth anniversary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I recently honeymooned in St. Lucia at Calabash Cove. We shopped around and read many reviews before deciding to book our honeymoon at Calabash. We chose to stay in the Water’s Edge Cottage for one week, and we booked their honeymoon package which included: airport transfers, bottle of champagne upon arrival, a couple’s massage, and a private dinner for two. As some of the reviews mention the ride from the main airport to Calabash is about an hour and a half, and the final ride up the road to Calabash is a bumpy one. However, it is definitely worth it when you arrive and step into the main lobby and see the beautiful view! Calabash is a small resort and it was pretty quiet, which is exactly what we needed. Guests were coming and going every day, so there were plenty of opportunities to meet people, but it is not a party place. The food is excellent, if you plan on spending most of your lunches and dinners at the resort go with the all-inclusive package. There are daily specials in the main restaurant for lunch and dinner which were excellent. Definitely stop by the pool bar, eat some Calamari and hang out with Jonathan and Lance (the bartenders). They are a blast! All of the staff at Calabash is lovely and very accommodating. The grounds are manicured daily. The cottages are amazing, especially with the private pool and outdoor shower looking out on the ocean. One draw back was that the room that the TV was in was not air conditioned in the cottage, but there was a ceiling fan. I cannot stress enough how beautiful Calabash is and how breathe taking the view is. If you are honeymooners I would highly recommend the honeymoon package. The ladies in the TI Spa are awesome. My husband and I went for three spa treatments in our week there. And the private dinner on the pier is so romantic. If you are looking for a relaxing, beautiful honeymoon or vacation, Calabash Cove is once a lifetime place where I can guarantee you will leave with memories for a lifetime.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miches224
Mission, B.C.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

It's a bit pricy but DO NOT deny yourself this special treat. Great service from fantastic, warm, caring staff. By the second day you are family. The food is fantastic and drinks are plentiful. Lots of honeymooners looking out over the beach which is immaculately kept. Johnathan,
Lily, Barbra, Tocasan (?)spelling, Chris, Lance beware we are coming again, get the champagne ready.

Room Tip: All good but for privacy go for the cabins on the beach.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SweetieMission
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Calabash Cove for our honeymoon in late June. We stayed in cottage #2 and did the all inclusive plan.

Location: About an hour drive from UVF airport. Personal car transport was provided both ways.

View: Excellent views from everywhere in the resort.

Room: Our cottage was very nice! Our pool and deck were very private with amazing views; even the outside shower had a great view of the ocean. We felt very secluded other than when room service was bringing us our food!

Service: Great! Everyone was very friendly. We especially enjoyed Jessica from room service, and Chris and Kineesa from the restaurant. Fresh flower designs on the bed everyday were a very nice touch!

Food: The food was amazing. We enjoyed getting room service for breakfast and lunch so we could eat in private by our private pool. For dinner we went to the restaurant which has a better menu than the room service menu. The food was always very good. The view from the restaurant was amazing. If you are staying at Calabash more than 6 days the menu might start to get repetitive. Live music at the restaurant every night was fun.

Pool: The pool was very large and it seemed like there was only one or two couples there whenever we went swimming. The swim up bar was convenient.

Beach: The beach was nice, but nothing too special. We took out the complimentary kayaks one afternoon which was fun.

Concierge: The staff was very helpful in arranging our horseback riding excursion. We got to ride the horses deep into the ocean which was really cool.

Overall we had an amazing time. It seemed like the resort had very few guests so it was a very private experience. Most of the staff knew our names and were very friendly. While the resort itself doesn't have a lot of activities to offer, it was the perfect place to relax and have as much privacy as we desired. Make sure you bring bug spray or use the spray they provide because at night the bugs will bite you, but if you're prepared it is not a problem. We would definitely recommend Calabash to our friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage #2. It had an amazing view and was very private.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colin C
Mena, Arkansas
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I spend our Honeymoon in June here. We stayed in a cottage and it was wonderful! We ate almost every meal here. They had so many specials it was always hard to choose. All of the food was amazing. It was very private. We have absolutely NO complaints. The staff was so warm and friendly, the cottage was beautiful, and the weather was great! The bartender Jonathan made wonderful creations! We definately have no regrets and recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Cottage 5 is the best!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Calabash Cove Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!