“Worth it for trip to hotel, not back to airport”

St. Lucia Helicopters
Ranked #8 of 43 Tours in Gros Islet
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We took a helicopter north towards the BodyHoliday at the beginning of our honeymoon in early June.

Positives - fun experience, avoids the long taxi/bus ride to the northern island hotels, get to see a different view of the island, get some good aerial photos, get to tell friends you were a high-roller and rode in a helicopter

Negatives - place on helicopter completely dependent on first come first serve. We had confirmed reservations for over 2 months, but had to wait to get on the third helicopter because of where we sat on the plane (the middle seats on the plane are the last to get off).

Expensive- especially when you factor in dollars/minute in air

Not adventageous on return trip - your luggage travels by van so you would be waiting at airport for a while before you could check in

You still have to take a taxi to your resort from the northern airport - at least it is much shorter, but it is still an added expense

At roughly 3 times the cost of even a private taxi, this can be seen as a bit of an extravagance, but it is worth it to get to the beach faster and without the car sickness that some people get on the long and winding trip to the northern resorts

10  Thank derekzell

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Pilot not informative - More interested in completing his paperwork (whilst flying might I add) Failed to point out anything really - Glad to get out at the other end.

1  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I see the helicopters flying every day in front of my house: they have one pilot that does not respect altitude, flying route, nothing!! Everybody complains and knows about this pilot, but the managers really do not care at all!!! I have written, called, etc.: no answer. They will probably care when a big accident happens...hopefully you are not inside the helicopter and hopefully never happens. But this mad pilot disturbs the environment and risks too much!! Probably is cheap, and that is why he continues flying!!

5  Thank OurPlanet55
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We may have been unlucky, but we had to wait nearly 30 mins at the airport for a helicopter whilst everyone piled onto the transfer buses and set off on the road journey. Add to this the 20 min journey when you get off the helicopter from the helipad on the north to our hotel and total journey time was 1hr 5 when the coach transfer was 1hr 30 - so 25 min saved for over £500 as there were 5 of us.

The scenery is spectacular, but our pilot made no effort to point out landmarks and instead used solely his feet to fly the helicopter while he completed some paperwork, barely looking up. I'm not a nervous flyer but this made me so uneasy, that and the fact our helicopter looked like it had seen better days - ripped seats, bodged repairs. That said, a second helicopter landed at the same time with a family also going to our hotel nod they really enjoyed it and said their chopper was a lot newer and therefore I think we probably had a bad draw.

If I returned, I wouldn't do the helicopter transfer for the reasons above, but if you do want the experience, book a tour instead. That way, you will get to see the sights too such as the pitons by air which I bet is spectacular.

2  Thank Sophie A
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We did the bus transfer when we arrived and it was hot and winding but not as bad as people had said. We really didn't fancy it on our return so booked the helicopter tours on the day we were leaving (don't let the local reps tell you you have to book 24 hours in advance its rubbish phone them direct). great service my husband and little boy were offered to sit up the front very friendly pilot and all staff. Great views saved lots of time we had our flight at 1830 got ours helicopter flight at 1630 so didn't have to hang about to board brilliant kids loved it too

4  Thank tjai9220113