“I came away with a different perspective”

St Lucia Photo Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you own a Digital SLR Camera and mostly shoot in Auto Mode this tour is for you. If you really love photography and want to improve your photo skills this tour's for you. And if you have a passion for local culture when you travel instead of the usual overcrowded tourist attractions then this tour is definitely for you. With just 10 persons twice weekly on a Monday and Thursday the St Lucia photo tour will take you on a special journey of both photography and an authentic St Lucian cultural immersion like none you have ever experienced before. Learn what those fancy knobs on your camera can allow you to do, then practice using them as Kirk and his team help you discover how to make photo masterpieces like you never dreamed possible. Best of all - you'll have the pictures to prove it...
Reviewed February 27, 2017

I am a photo enthusiast, and it is part of my job as a communicator. What I took away was a different perspective, and a different way of looking at how I was taking photos. We had a full day, and Kirk was friendly and enthusiastic. I took along an observer, and I think he even had a good time even though he was not a photographer. If you like taking photos and are in the area, this is a great adventure!

1  Thank Sarah F
"excellent photographer"
"patient teacher"
"low light"

Reviewed February 24, 2017

My wife and I both took the photo tour. She is just getting started with DSLRs, and I have been shooting for a few years. We both had different goals for the class, she needed the basics, and I wanted to learn more about composition.

The first hour or so of the tour starts out by teaching some fundamentals in a nice outdoor setting. Kirk covered exposure control via aperture, exposure time, and ISO, but also other fundamentals like interacting with human photo subjects, composition, rule of thirds, etc.

From there, we worked around town shooting sites that one would really never wonder onto without a local guide. And Kirk does know locals! Lunch at the Hardest Hard was fantastic, and the second part of the tour was just as interesting as the first, with a different flair.

Kirk is really personable and can work with all skill levels equally well. I really enjoyed it and got quite a bit out of it, my wife did as well. I would recommend this tour if you're at all interested in bettering your photography skills!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Mike v
Kirk E, Owner at St Lucia Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2017

Had a REALLY great time with Mike & Greta. Mike clearly knew his stuff and I was hard pressed to offer any earth shattering suggestions to any of the images he created. Working with Greta, on the other hand, was sheer delight as I watched her have several eureka moments.

Best of all was the fact that she has such a natural eye for composition without even being aware of it.

All told - another AMAZING Photo Tour with folks who now have the pictures to prove it!

Reviewed February 17, 2017

My husband and I made our first trip to this beautiful island of St.Lucia and Kirk played a huge part in making it a memorable one. With his layed back but infectious personality, he took us to a few breath taking locations for our photoshoot and those photos were fantastic. He was very professional and he ensured that we were comfortable and was also very encouraging throughout the shoot. He also shared his knowledge about the island as we journeyed to the various locations. We would definitely recommend Kirk if anyone is seeking an enjoyable and wonderful experience in St.Lucia from Keston and Denecia Neils

Kirk E, Owner at St Lucia Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2017

Most of my photography is with clients from north of St Lucia rather than south. So there was a real island vibes working with Denecia & Keston from Trinidad. We rocked some really cool photos on a clifftop overlooking both the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean before chilling on a nearby beach with kite surfers making the most of the evening wind. Then it was off to a west end beach for sunset photos.

All told a really great evening out and we got some pictures that made even me say "Dang!!"

Reviewed February 11, 2017

My wife and I did a private photo tour of St. Lucia with Kirk. He was great. He is dedicated to helping you improve your photography as well as taking you to some really interesting places to shoot. He knows the island well and everywhere you go, people know Kirk too! I can't imagine a better tour guide than Kirk. We recommend him highly.

Kirk E, Owner at St Lucia Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2017

What a blast I had with Jim and Debra! ...So I get an email that went something like this: "Kirk I notice that you offer a photo tour down in St Lucia and that looks kinda cool, but would you be open to a Private Photo Tour for just my wife and me?"

Well I had recently introduced a private photo tour to my offerings so I thought - how serendipitous Jim's enquiry was.

So together Jim & I created his perfect itinerary, ensured that we catered to Debra's interests too - and off we went.

We moved at a perfect pace for them, went to locations that specifically appealed to them and spent more time at those locations than happens on a regular Photo Tour.

All told it was a really great day out...

See more reviews
Reviewed January 11, 2017

Learn your digital camera controls and principles of good photography in the morning workshop, experience the (extraordinary, fantastic, wonderful, to-die-for) local cuisine for lunch, and practice your new photo knowledge in the afternoon. Kirk Elliot is a gifted photographer and a patient, gifted instructor to boot. I was a somewhat advanced film photographer but never seemed to be able to translate what I knew about film exposure to digital photography. Yet I knew I wanted to do more that stick my camera on Auto and be done with it.

With Kirk at the lectern, I learned more in the 4-hour morning session than I had in the decade or so I've had a DSLR. Kirk taught me how to use my "blinkies" (a feature I never knew I had) to evaluate the exposure in an already taken photo and how to meter a scene in Aperture Priority (a good strategy for beach and water scenes) and then switch to Manual to make exposure adjustments.

If this all sounds like just so much Greek to you, DON'T BE SCARED OFF! Kirk has a extraordinary ability to speak to multiple audiences at the same time. I was traveling with my mom and sister, both of whom were relative beginners, and Kirk was patient and empathic with both. He took plenty of time to help them with basics of using a DSLR and framing good photos.

After a wonderful lunch, during which we continued discussing DSLR photography and good photographic principles, he took us on a driving tour to gorgeous locations close to Castries, including a small island (which we reached via ferry) to practice our new skills. And not only is Kirk a gifted teacher and photographer, he's also a gifted storyteller. As we drove (and took pictures, of course), he told us of his work with the children of the island to teach them photography, as well as his experiences as the Photography Ambassador to the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States. We ended the day with champagne and a ride back to the ship.

I would do this tour a dozen times over, and I recommend it for anyone wishing to move beyond cellphone pics and Automatic mode on a DSLR.

Kirk E, Owner at St Lucia Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2017

Got an email from a travel agent who explained that she had a mom and her two daughters heading out on a cruise and that one daughter was much into photography while her sister and mom were not as into it so what could I arrange. Well this was a perfect fit for a Private Photo Tour and that's exactly what we did. And since the fundamentals of photography remain the same whether you wish to go deep or shallow it was easy for me to accommodate everyone's level of interest. My most pleasant surprise was how in tune with photography Mom was as well as her enthusiasm for embracing digital. And though Mom is in her eighties I simply would never had known had she chosen to not reveal this... All told - What a marvelous day we had!