“Waste of money”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and our two boys visited chef Robby on 21st December. We ordered a chicken curry, chicken roti a burger and a basket of prawns. It took a while to come considering there was only us and another couple of tables. The main disappointment was the quality of the food. The chicken was in small bits and a very strange chewy texture, the exact same was in the roti. If you go for fish it will also be in the same sauce. The prawn basket was tiny. There were only 8 prawns and the were small at that. The burger was ok. We asked for non alcoholic drinks and ended up with a lemon shandy! All this came to just under $100 that's US$!! When you want to sit down after walking around the market and look at the boats in the harbor then by all means go and have a drink at chef Robby's but don't do more than that!

2  Thank Edina B
There are newer reviews for Caribbean Pirates Limited Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed November 30, 2013

With WiFi service excruciatingly slow on cruise ships, it's a common sight to see passengers duck into a restaurant or bar advertising "free WiFi" soon after docking in a port. That's what made us visit Chef Robby's Caribbean Pirates. My wife and I ordered Diet Cokes and opened our tablets to check email. The waitress left and soon returned to tell us that they didn't have Diet Coke. (Why didn't she know that?) Told that they had lemonade, we asked for that. The waitress returned with Sprite. We said that we asked for lemonade, and the waitress replied that Sprite is their lemonade. (Why didn't she explain that?) OK, we accepted Sprite, but then discovered that we couldn't get a WiFi connection. The waitress said that the manager would try to improve the signal. Their WiFi was probably overwhelmed with demand. At this point we dismissed any idea of ordering food. To the manager's credit, however, he did work on the signal, and we were finally able to get online. But after finishing our drinks, we left to free up our table. Throughout our experience, the staff was pleasant and service oriented.

The restaurant was fairly crowded and many of the diners appeared to be locals, so that probably says good things about the food.

The restaurant is located on the second level of the Place Carenage shopping center in Castries next to the cruise dock. It overlooks the harbor and also offers a very attractive view of the town adjacent.

If we were there longer, I might have gone back, but I would have ordered a beer.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was invited into Chef Robby's at lunchtime, by the man himself. It was slow at first, and I was seated immediately and received my Golden Apple juice within minutes. The fish broth that I ordered took at least 20 minutes (I took photos of the harbor and availed myself of the free wifi in the meanwhile) but arrived steaming hot in a huge tureen. It was excellent and took me almost 30 minutes to finish! I returned to Chef Robby's the next day for lunch with my family. The verandah was quite full and service was actually a little faster, though still slower than we would have liked. My wife said her chicken curry was excellent (though she had to ask them to heat an extra roti shell she ordered). I had a veggie roti, which was hot, large and ffull of very tasty local vegetables. The fried plantain was as good as homemade and they gave us lots of napkins and extra assistance with our two babies (both under two years old). Overall, we really enjoyed the meals and the atmosphere. Chef Robby spoke with us for a while and slipped me a compimentary shot of spice rum (nice!!!). The only downside is the service, which is slow, partly due to the fact that the food is cooked fresh, which I appreciate, and partly due to the laidback caribbean attitude which one tends to forget after living in the US for decades. Regardless, I would highly recommend this restaurant for the food and ambience. My family and I look forward to returning soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Fantastic selection of drinks - the cocktails are delicious. The view is about the best in Castries and the food is of a very decent standard also.

However some may complain about slow service - especially if they are on a passing cruise ship. But, after having spent 10 days in st lucia, we can say that slow service is almost the culture on the whole of the island - Chef Robby is no slower than any of the other places we ate at across the island during our stay. After a few days you soon realise that you need to be ordering your food around an hour before you actually want it - it's just the slow, relaxed way of life on the island, and is also due to the fact that in most places, food is cooked fresh.

Chef Robby's - well worth a visit - especially as Castries itself isn't much to write home about - probably the one ugly blot on an otherwise beautiful island.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stopped to buy food and a beer(Piton) Waitress said beer was 8 EC i said not right - she checked wityh Manager and came back after with a normal 6 EC price. When iI got to cash they charged me 8.45 EC I saw many people waiting for service so I left without eating - thank God Not recommend & will not go back

1  Thank d0neast