“Stayed at better...Stayed at worse...It's what you make of it”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed October 26, 2010

First off I have to say that I read many of the reviews on this site before our trip and I was a bit nervous about many of the things that I heard posted here. That being the case, I never write reviews but felt compelled to do so being that many of these were helpful to me as I hope that mine will be helpful to others. I will break the items up as I am planning a detailed post for those interested in knowing everything. I will also include many full disclosure points to help you decide how each applys to yourself.

Airport arrival and transport –

As many have stated the airport is a good distance from the resort itself. Upon landing you will breeze through customs, took us about 5 min and you are off to grab your bags. Once grabbing them you head for the door through a check point which they randomly stop people for bag searches, we were not selected, looked like they maybe stopped 2% of people. Key tip: as others have mentioned, right after this check point there will be bag people racing to you to try and grab your bags and throw them onto carts for a tip, and yes many will yell Sandals etc trying to trick you into thinking that they are affiliated with the resort. Things are confusing but just know this, if you head out the main/only exit door, on the other side is the taxis, shuttles etc. just walk straight ahead through the doors and after about 30-40 feet you run into the Sandals desk where they check you in and an actual Sandals employee them grabs your bags and helps you to the shuttle. If you feel like tipping, have the bag people roll your bags the 30-40 feet for you.

The shuttle was a SMALL and I mean Small little van that they pack 8 people and your entire luggage into. I was thinking it would be a sandals bus or maybe a small airport like shuttle, nope, it’s basically a personal minivan. Long story short, being 6’4 my knees were up around my ears for the hour plus ride, not enjoyable at all! However, I will say that other than the comfort, we enjoyed the scenic part of the ride. All through the island and at one point through a part of the rain forest. Very scenic and a nice free tour for some. After about an hour and ten minutes, we were at the resort.

Check-in –

Upon arrival you are greeted and escorted into a conference room where they serve you some champagne and quickly run through your invite package. Nothing terrible and didn’t take long. Once complete, if your room is ready they will take you along, if not, as ours was not, they offer you the Cricketeer’s pub for some food and drinks and being Sunday, some NFL football while you wait. We took that option and towards the end of our meal the room was already finished. They brought our keys into the pub and said we could head to our room at our convenience and the bags would be there for us. As promised, they were.

The Room –

Probably the low light of the trip, which means it was a pretty good trip! Small is not even the word, I felt like we were in a closet. We booked the emerald deluxe oceanview which basically put us in the #8 buildings on the map. It is the ones with the extra large balcony giving your 2 lounge chairs and a separate table, umbrella and more chairs. The balcony sure was spacious but I would have preferred more inside room. There was a king bed, one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on, I usually sleep great on vacation but this week found myself waking up all night long. It’s pretty much an old hard spring mattress on a platform, no box spring. Hard as a rock! There wasn’t much else in the room other than a few night stands and a dresser. There was maybe a few feet to walk around the bed on each side and that was the size of the room. Very small. The bathroom features were updated and very nice but again, my wife and I couldn’t even maneuver around at the same time as it was so cramped. Definitely would never stay in this room category again. We are simple people, usually stay in a local Marriott or Hyatt etc when travelling so don’t think we are Ritz people but a comfortable bed and a little bit of space are usually pretty key to a good room.

The only other quick points on the room are the location of it were both good and bad, the bad was that it was a hike to get to as it’s not attached to the main building, probably a good 30 stairs or so and a couple of hills to get up there, a good little workout though to burn off some calories and drinks  On the flip side, it was a positive in that it was more remote and quiet that the other closer rooms so this made it nice. Beware the tree frogs though, they are LOUD!!!

The Food –

Full disclosure here, we are not seafood eaters so I can’t speak for most of that although we did try some which I will mention.

The restaurants overall were very good so you will enjoy and I’m pretty sure with all of the variety will be able to find some things that you will absolute love. The ones we tried were Komonos, Armandos, La Toc, Pavillion, Neptunes, Pizza and of course the Cricketeer’s Pub.

Komonos – Group style, guy good in front of you type experience, you’ve probably done this before. I’d rate it overall a C+. The food was pretty good, we tried Mahi Mahi here for the first time and absolutely loved it so that was a nice little surprise. Overall the downer is that the whole thing takes about 2 hours and yet of that the chef cooking for you is really only about 20-30 minutes. The rest of the time is very slow service from another person. Summary I guess is worth trying to say that you did it.

Armandos – Our absolute favorite! Everything was amazing and delicious! One of the best cuts of beef I have ever had in my life and I live for steak no matter where I go. Pasta bar fabulous, soup great, everything was wonderful. We went back twice for dinner and another time for lunch. Overall A++

La Toc – This is the 5 star, and I will say it was ok, not great not bad. I think the service made this one as they were definitely 5 star class with the service. So friendly and attentive! Overall B+
Pavillion – This is the buffet breakfast, lunch and main dining for dinner. There was a very good variety, I loved breakfast there. Be advised that yes the reviews are correct that there are lots of cats at this resort and they gather in this restaurant at food time. We have a cat so it didn’t really bother us, I admit to tossing a little Mahi Mahi the way of one little guy. They aren’t overly aggressive and just wander around meowing to see who will toss something there way. I’ll have more on the cats later. Dinners here were nice as they would sometimes have themes and even live music while you dine. One night was a great saxophone player which was very romantic.

Neptunes – had lunch one day, mostly a seafood restaurant, I was so disappointed to find out that this had replaced Arizona’s tex-mex as that is my favorite kind of food. Lunch was ok.

Cricketeer’s Pub – Enjoyable, burgers, shepards pie, etc. It’s pretty much what you would expect at your local pub. They are super friendly and so quick to get you drinks that you would never know you are at an all inclusive. We were watching games on many nights and they would swing by an bring you drinks constantly whenever your glass got low, you didn’t even have to ask for one. Good times!

The Pools –

There are 3 pools and all were very enjoyable in their own way. The main difference: The main pool is the party pool, fun, loud, games, huge pool, great time when you want to get crazy and be around a lot of people. The Piton pool is like an exclusive resort for you and at max 10 of your friends. There is no bar at this pool, it’s a short 2 min walk down a few stairs to a bar, but I think the lack of a swim up and that this pool is smaller is much less of a draw than the others. We spent a few days around this one as it is sooo quiet and exclusive, we loved it. No music, drunk people, crazy bingo games, just relaxing sounds of the ocean waves and nature. The last one was the Sunset pool at the top of the hill. Smaller version of the main pool but it does have a swimup bar and a much smaller and more subdued crowd. Basically a perfect middle ground to the first two and amazing views of the sun setting in the West.

Golf –

For you golfers, I did take a day to play the on-site course. A nice time to play and say that I played in St. Lucia but do not expect anything in terms of this one. The views are pretty and the new layout is enjoyable although a very short course. But as far as the shape of the course, don’t expect anything beyond your local county course, public course, or hackers special, it is beat up! But when it rains so much you can’t really do much. It was fun, the caddie was very nice and it was well worth the money. Yes, although the greens fees are included, you will still have to pay for the caddie (required) plus a tip for him at the end of the round, club rental if you don’t bring them, and a cart if you don’t want to walk. I walked, enjoyed the exercise but a few holes were killer hikes!

Creatures –

It’s an island so there are many creatures, none bothered me but they may some. First are the cats, which I call pets, but some would call creatures when on vacation. There are lots, they roam the grounds, lay in the hammock and find their way into the open air dining areas. They are harmless overall but non animal lovers may not be so happy with their presence and sometimes cat fights in the dining room over scraps.

The tree frogs as I mentioned are tiny but so LOUD! You will pretty much hear them all night long. And be careful if you have a balcony room up where we did, they will be all over the place and you must be careful not to sit in chairs or step on them. Other than that nothing too crazy or life threatening 

Summary for those who skipped the categories and just want the overall impression – We had a great time, St. Lucia is a gorgeous island and the people are amazingly friendly. Sandals was overall a B- in terms of expectations but that is pretty good. We will definitely return to St. Lucia someday but I doubt it will be to this resort, don’t worry it’s fun, but I don’t think it’s somewhere you go more than once. At the end of the day keep one thing in mind. Your vacation is what you make of it, I think the bad reviews you will see are by people that have wayyy to high of expectations and will never be pleased or they had something bad happen to them which clouded the whole trip and experience. On that note, while we were there we were privy on accident to see and hear about a couple whose room up in an exclusive area of the hotel, not the main building areas so don’t worry, they returned to their room to find it broken into and someone in the room. Their safe had been broken into and some things had been smashed etc. I could never blame these people for writing a bad review. Could you? We were accidentally put into the shuttle escorting them back up to their room right after the break in with tons of security so that is the only way we heard about this. But don’t worry, there are lots of security around all of the grounds and as I mentioned, this was a remote area I would never have stayed anyways so far from the main areas. If you want a great trip, go, enjoy and remember, you are on vacation….have fun!!!!

4  Thank arzkats

Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by wonderful, helpful, and friendly staff of sandals. A private car came to pick us up at the airport and we were safely and comfortably escorted to our resort. Once there we were greeted by the butler staff and given a hot cloth scented with lemon and a glass of champagne while we checked in. From there we were greeted by one of our two private butlers, Don and Sydney, who escorted us to our suite. My husband and I stayed in the Millionaire suite and WOW it was amazing. Breath taking views and gorgeous private pool and hot tub. We really could not ask for anything more. After our butlers were done briefing us on all of the ammenities of our room they unpacked our bags and took the liberty to arrange for a dinner to be brought to our room and set up on our private patio overlooking the resort with candlelight and wine. Every day and night was of equal and/or better service. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Don and Sydney would out do themselves again. My husband and I enjoyed to go out for dinner and par take in some of the bars on the resort and night, every time we came back to our room it was decorated with candle light, champagne, and some kind of treat (chocolate covered strawberries, trufles). We were given a personal cell phone that we could use to reach one of our butlers at any time of the day until 10 at night. They did anything that we asked and it was done quickly we did not need to want or wait for anything. We were truly made to feel like VIP celebrities and it was all due to the wonderful service given by our butlers, Don and Sydney. As for the island it is gorgeous and a truly beautiful country to see. There are plenty of excursions to enjoy but there is enough to do on the resort to also feel more than elated. My husband and I enjoyed some deep sea fishing, snorkeling, and a jeep cruise of the island. We also went to the Sandal Grande one night for dinner at Gordon's restaurant. This restaurant is for butlered guests only but definitely worth the 25 minute trip becuase the food was outstanding. I would highly recommend the Sandal Regency at St. Lucia and if possible the Millionaire suite or Sunset Bluffs. Make sure you request Don and Sydney as your butlers and tell them that Sean and Amy sent you!!!!!! Have Fun!!!!

1  Thank Seamy7
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We visited Sandals for our honeymoon on 28TH September for two weeks. We notified them of this when we made our booking. we had little communication on arrival and were quickly shown to our room. We were tired after a very long journey and were bitterly diappointed to see the shabby, musty smelling room with condensation on the windows and walls and a cockroache running across the floor. No effort was made to welcome us on our honeymoon.
We went to the pool the next day to find young americans partying by the pool. The canopies above looked shabby also and the area was in need of refurbishment. The entetainment at the pool consisted of Bingo, MR AND MRS, KARAOKE,DANCING THE MACARENA ETC Not classy, relaxing or romantic in any way. It was like an outdoor niteclub by day.
The restaurants had cats roaming around looking for food as you are. The staff told us that it was to deter bush mice!
The entertainment was very poor at night.. There was quiet,empty bars in places with no music or ambiance. The piano bar was dark and dreary, music didn't start to 9pm and finished at 11pm. There was nowhere to have a nice pre dinner drink with suitable music or entertainment. At 9pm the main restaurant played silly games with young loud couples whilst other diners were having their dinner.The piano bar turned into a nightclub at 11pm with dance music for 18 to 25year olds.
The beach was very small and public. The locals came and played a full 11 a side game of football on the weekends when tourists tried to sunbathe in the quiet area of the beach or when a wedding was taking place. Beach wedding were like a production line and didn't seem special. Locals were also trying to sell drugs and young kids beg.
We paid for sandals in good faith expecting the WOW factor! it was in no way romantic, luxurious or classy in fact quite the opposite. It was like a type of holiday we have in Europe called club 18-30.
I would not reccomend this holiday for a wedding on the beach or for a honeymoon, anniverary or special couples holiday.
Despite bringing our complaint's to the management they failed to realise how far we had travelled, how much we had spent and how special this holiday should have been for us. Sandals destroyed our honeymoon. it is a memery we cannot relive or get back.
I hope this helps other travellers. This holiday is misleading and not what it is sold as which is illegal.
We intend to make Sandals aware of that!!

4  Thank ursula65_10
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I recently got back from my island Paradise and was sadly disappointed upon my decision to choose Sandals Regency St. Lucia. When you arrive at the resort you will notice how unorganized everything is as they lock you in a room and force you to give your credit card right away. Once you get into your room get ready for the warmest, dirtiest, and most germ filled sleep of your life. The room we stayed at was geared for Honeymooners and was more like how dirty and nasty you felt when you started to travel as a young lad. The room was dirty and offered wet sheets and mold.

Once we left the room we found the main pool which we both looked at as our highlight of the resort. The food at the resort was poor at best but my wife loved the Italian eatery. Once you start making your way to the pool during the day get used to tattoos and hicks. I was surprised as was my wife the poor quality of the guests on the island who thought they were on spring break instead of a romantic honeymoon. Once we took in the sights of ink and indulgence we got prepared for our stay and what we would do on a our 10 days honeymoon.

The next day my wife developed a terrible cough which I assume was from the poorly kept room and the multitude of germs floating around the island. The next day we found out that our room had been broken into and my wife's phone and charger was stolen the phone was returned and we had to pay for the charger once we got back to the states. The doctor was able to finally see my wife on Sunday and then we found out not only is their no place to take out money on the resort for emergencies such as a doctor you can only do a cash advance of $100.00 and that was not enough for my wife's visit plus medicine.

The remaining week of the resort entailed poorly behaved guests, warm wet sleeps and limited activities to do at night. The only positive I would have to give the resort is the fact the workers do work hard and one bad apple does not represent the hard work ethic of the people of St Lucia.

Overall if you are looking for Spring Break crossed with a LA Ink feel this is the place for you!

2  Thank mrfried
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Well we have been back again and once again the regency lived up to our wonderful memories.
Although the setting is beautiful what really makes this so special are the people.
If you are thinking of going please look out for the following who will make your holiday one to remember :-
Niecer - PlayMaker - She never stops laughing
George and Tasha - Make the pool bar run swimmingly and seem to know you need a drink before you do
Andrea - Various restaurants - Always there with a smile
Marquis - Makes you feel like you are the only guest in the Pavilion Restaurant even when its full!
Malon - Made our day in the cabana extra special
Stephen and Shervy - Caddies on the golf course improved my husbands and my brother-in-laws games no end.
Moise - From La Toc Restaurant nothing was too much trouble.
Chris - Hotel Manager for making the boat trip extra special.
Michael - The boss, overseeing everything but still having time to make sure everyone was having a good time
Last but by no means least Dexter - Went over and above the job even spending his very precious spare time with us and introducing us to his lovely family, we cannot thank him enough.

Make sure to visit the Pier Restaurant at the Halcyon and also the Pavilion in the evening at the Regency the meals at these two restaurants were like dining out at a top class restaurant in the UK.

Needless to say we are saving for our next visit!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank PCBDesigner
Reviewed October 25, 2010

From the moment we arrived the Staff in the resort were so attentive. Our room was immaculate and Jacinta kept it that way for the 2 weeks we were there. The mini bar was stocked every day no problems with bottled water supply. The waiting and bar staff in all the bars and restaurants were exceptional, it would be impossible to name and thank them all.
Wolfgang deserves a special mention for being the ultimate professional director of food and beverage.
The pools and pool areas were kept pristine. The Play makers were entertainment in their own right especially Ricky . Every evening there was entertainment. The highlight show was an extravaganza held outside and included steel band stilt walkers ,limbo dancing , fire eating and a buffet feast.
The choice of restaurants and food made for a fantastic vacation. Our preference were for Armandos (Italian) Piton (Creole) . The Pavilion buffet breakfast and lunch were exceptional both for variety and presentation. Kimonos offered fantastic entertainment and food . Neptunes was very romantic for dinner and offered good service not so for lunch. We were not gone on the Cricketer which was typical pub grub. The pool cocktail bar was the centre of activity during the day. The spa treatments are a little bit on the expensive side.
The 9 hole golf course was challenging to walk. Must thank Cynthia and Natalie for looking after me so well and having me on the course at 7am ahead of everyone else. Patrick Joseph the caddie who must have been exasperated at my poor golf.
Zip lining is a must do trip. The catamaran around the island is worth it the boat was immaculate , staff attentive and knowledgeable. It included a walk in the rain forest to a waterfall. Food and refreshments were served on board. Whale /dolphin watching was a disaster and the boat was not presentable and the facilities on board were lacking . The shopping trip was a waste of money , better off paying the prices in the resort would have worked out the same.
We did the helicopter transfer on the outward leg of our journey . After flying for over 8 hours this 12 min trip was amazing. We sat up front with the pilot he pointed out the main features of the island on the flight path.

2  Thank annlKildare
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My husband and I recently honeymooned at Sandals Regency Saint Lucia and we absolutely had the time of our lives! Everything from the food to the spa to the activities were fabulous.
We highly recommend taking the helicopter trip when you get there. Talk about arriving in style! The helicopter was my wedding present to my husband and totally worth it!
When we got to the resort, we were brought to a conference room and checked-in. Don't forget to call your bank or credit card company to let them know that you are travelling. The resort will need your credit card to create a "room tab" that you can use to book excursions as well as at the resort store.
We had a honeymoon delux ocean view (I think) and it was great. We were right near all the action and we had an amazing view. We had a bottle of champagne and a breakfast in bed coupon because it was our honeymoon. Our room was cleaned everyday as well as drinks refilled in the mini fridge.
Make your reservations right away.... RIGHT AWAY when you get there! I waited until the next morning and we were able to get reservations but they were late in the trip and late at night (after 8). Reservations are needed for Kimonos and La Toc. Also, men need closed shoes for La Toc. The other restaurants are great as well, we LOVED Armando's and their filet mignon was unbelievable! The pavilion was great for breakfast and lunch, but we did not have dinner there. Cricketers Pub was good for a quick drink or bite and was very close to our room. You can always order your food or dessert to go which was awesome!
We did the Joe Knows Tour through the resort and it was the highlight of the trip. If you take any of my advice, DO THIS TOUR. The guides were awesome, the sights even better. We also did the ziplining tour which was also wonderful. We would never do something like that at home, soaring over the rain forest, totally unforgettable.
We did a couples massage at the spa and it was amazing and relaxing, but expensive!
Unfortunately we did not get the chance to golf, even though my husband wanted to. Those dirty banana drinks by the pool took most of our time!!!
AWESOME TRIP, highly recommended. Sandals is fabulous and worth every penny.

2  Thank sarahjj1221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!