“Great honeymoon location but room for improvement.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Westminster, Ca
“Great honeymoon location but room for improvement.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

Overall, I would recommend this Sandals as a honeymoon destination. My husband would probably rate it as excellent, but I thought there was some room for improvement. First, the grounds are lovely. There was some construction/remodeling happening, but it did not interfere with our enjoyment. We stayed in the two level villa w/ private plunge pool-the highest room class. The room was great in decor, but we did not use the lower portion much as we would have had to go up and down the stairs. We liked the private plunge pool; unlike others, I did not think it was too cold. It was definitely cooler than the ocean or the main pools, but it was still enjoyable. The deck has the most amazing view of the sunsets; in fact, those rooms have the best view of the sunset in the whole resort. The worst part of the room was the housekeeping service. It was quite clean when we arrived, but in the middle of our stay, the service quit coming. Perhaps, our time in the room conflicted w/ the cleaning schedule, but we would have happily left if asked. We did get towels every day, but we would have liked the floors to have been swept daily to get rid of the sand and debris.

I was not too thrilled with the food, but then, I am a picky eater. My husband thought the food was great. We both recommend Armando's for every meal. It thought it was the best all around restaurant. We did not try La Toc, though we had reservations b/c I don't like French food. We did try Kimono-the Japanese Teppan restaurant. If you truly enjoy Teppan restaurants-do not go. It is very different from what we have in the States. They did not have Sake or coffee when we were there. So, don't be too upset if you cannot get reservations; we would skip it in the future. Arizona is great for lunch and snacks. I do have to give Sandals credit-they do mean it with they say all the drinks and food you want. We were constantly being offered more drinks, including alcohol. Unlike others who have posted, we never had problems w/ getting refills. Most of the time, the glass was not empty before the refill arrived. I would say that the must dine location is Gordon's at the Grande. It is reservation only, but it was amazing. You dine on a pier over the water. The food was delicious, and the service was great. As far as restaurant experineces at Sandals; this was the best. The funny thing was the I probably would not have enjoyed it so much if it had not been for Kyle. I am not sure what Kyle's title was; he was not our waiter or server. He brought the water, bread and kept bringing the silverware for each course. He was so sweet, cute and showed great poise for someone who appears to be quite young. I would say that the only part of our Gordon's that was better than Kyle was the view, and that is really saying something.

We tried the spa for a massage, and it was wondeful. My husband enjoyed the golf course; he golfed twice and even took a lesson from the pro. All the caddies were very knowledgable, and he never felt like they were asking for more than their $5 as others say they experienced. He tipped more b/c they were great w/ helpful tips and not because they asked for more.

We got a private SUV ride to and from the airport b/c of our room class. It was a beautiful ride; we did not have any problems w/ motion sickness. The drivers were very good at pointing out important spots and stopping for picture opportunities. As for tours, the best and cannot miss tour in my opinion is the rainforest canopy tour. It is a zipline tour of the rainforest. We could have taken that tour every single day. We also did the land and sea tour. We were disappointed w/ the volcano, but we loved the botanical gardens. The restaurant for lunch had great food. The boat ride was fun and we enjoyed the snorkeling. It is probably the easiest way to see the highlights of the island.

The only thing I cannot complain about is the butler service. I have read other reviews stating they were disappointed, but our butlers made our honeymoon. I don't think I would have rated Sandals above average if not for the butlers. In fact, if I could rate Don and Andre in a separate category, excellent would not even come close to describing how wonderful they were. Apparently, Andre has only been doing this for four months, and he is already wonderful. I would imagine he will be giving Don a run for his money as best butler in a few more months. Don is second to none; everyone should request Don and/or Andre if they want a wonderful vacation. We had surprises in our room every night thanks to Don and Andre-bubble baths, flower petals spelling out messages, champagne, appetizers, etc. They brought my husband his pickles and caviar each night. They arranged everything for us. We never had any problems getting them to respond when we needed something. And, we rarely needed anything b/c they were so good at anticipating our needs. I did complain in this review about the housekeeping, but Don and Andre made sure our bed was made very day and turned down for us nightly. That made the room feel cleaner on the days we missed housekeeping. Truly, I cannot describe how wonderful they both were. We have told both that if they ever make it to California, they can stay with us. When we look back at our stay at Sandals, Don and Andre will always be our most treasured memory. So, request them if possible; Don even announces his arrival w/ song. Trust me, it makes you laugh and smile each time.

• Liked — The butler service
  • Disliked — Maid service was not that great.
  • Tips/Secrets — Request Don or Andre as your butler. Spring for the butler service; it is worth it.
5 Thank skelly114

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,724)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

We went to the Regency for our honeymoon and found it to be just average. We did not feel it was worth the flight from the west coast - It was nice to have an all-inclusive package but we felt that the staff knew they weren't getting tips so they didn't work that hard to satisfy us. The food was ok but not spectacular and the beach was always closed because of the surf/waves being too rough, although we played in the ocean anyways. If you're looking to play at the beach we would recommend the Sandals Grande St. Lucian resort - the beach and pool facilities were nicer. We also wanted to upgrade our room but the front desk workers were not willing to accomodate our requests - overall the front desk staff was not the most accomodating.

It seemed like every one there was complacent with thier jobs and had no desire to make the experience special or to accomodate small requests. We tryed to have them break bills for us to make change and they made it seem like a hastle. Overall the experience was just mediocre - everyone there was also on thier honeymoon so we really didn't feel that special.

Whatever you do - do not do the horse excursion - we found it dangerous. My horse decided to roll over once it got in the sand - had I not been paying attention I would have been injured. They later told me that the horse I had loved the sand and tended to roll in it - they neglected to tell me that before hand.

My recommendation would be to go to the Grande and make sure you stay in the most recently renovated room.

• Liked — The views, Armando's Restaurant, close to airport
  • Disliked — Service, beach closures
  • Tips/Secrets — Restaurants that require reservations are over rated - do not take the horse tour
11 Thank TucsonTravelingDuo
Runnemede, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2006

The sandals regency exceeded all expectations! We were there November 13-20 2006 for our honeymoon.

We arrived at the smaller airport in St. Lucia which was only about a 15-20 minute drive to the Regency. Or room was the Regency Oceanview Luxury One Bedroom Suite, BEAUTIFUL!!! As soon as we got there we were dropped off at the main lobby and then in a van to the bluffs where our suite was. A butler greeted us and we were in our room within 5 minutes.

A hour passed before our real butler arrived, I wasnt really wowed by the Butler services at first, but as the week went on it did get alot better. Our Butlers were Blain & Sadiq, Blain was the man!!!

We did not do to many excursions. We did do the booze cruise which i highly reccomend.

The great part is if you do excursions you only have to worry about paying at the end of your vacation when you check out.

I also did a few spa days which was awesome!!! They were very professional, especially Jemma!

The pool by the bluff was amazing! It is very quiet and there was always a place to sit. The bartender was very attentive and always mixing great Island Drinks. They were doing alot of constrction by the main pool and it was just alot of comotion.

As far as the food:
Armandos: Great Breakfast, Great Lunch. but tomato sauce tasted like speghetti o's. Dinner was average.

Arizona's: AWESOME, great snacks! Great for lunch! Ate there mostly everyday for lunch.

LaToc: AWFUL!!! I was not impressed with this dinner at all, my husband had lamb and said it was great, I had boullabise it was awful. Do Not reccomend!

Kimonos: AMAZING! Great entertainment, the send best meal we had.

Pavillion: Average, breakfast was bad really bad flies hanging around, dinner was average.

Gordons at the Grande: Best dinner we had while on our honeymoon, if you dont have the Butler service you have to pay for this dinner.

***********************************
It was a great honeymoon, and I cannot say enough about Sandals resorts.

The smaller airport in St. lucia was a little awful coming home, we were delayed 2 hours which was only supposed to be 45 minutes, we ended up missing our connecting flight into Philly by 10 minutes. And since St. lucia is its own government the people in Puerto Rico were not accomating. It may be worth it to fly to the farther away airport. Only bad thing I have to say!!!

No pressure, no problem!!!

• Liked — The resort was so clean!!!
  • Disliked — Small airport in St. lucia!
  • Tips/Secrets — Have Fun!
7 Thank hooneymoonnov
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

Quite simply our wedding and honeymoon went off close to perfect.

We stayed at the Penthouse Honeymoon Suites on the Sunset bluff and opted for the buter service.

The butler's were helpful in getting us reservations at the restaurants we wanted to at the times we wanted to...when we called those restaurants directly we were not able to be fitted on the nights we preferred. They also had some surprises for us like flower-petaled decorated room and baths which we founf very romantic. However, if you stay at any of the concierge suites and dont need the extra pampering you can get by without the butlers..especially if your stay is short...we were there for 10 days.

Wedding: We opted for a no-frills wedding and were quite content with the service. The minister could have been a little better but the videographer and the photographer were great. Getting married in the morning with the waves crashing at our feet was a lovely experience.

Restaurants: La Toc is hyped up and probably our worse meal. To boot, having to get dressed up (closed-toe shoes for men) was a bit of a pain. The restaurants that do not require a reservation (and you can go in with sandals) were actually our favorite (Armando's, the Pavillion and Pitions). Try to schedule a breakfast and lunch at Armandos. Otherwise you will get sick of eating at the Pavillion all the time. If you get a butler than you are invited to eat at Gordons' at the Grande Resort...this was excellent and a five star dinner and service.

Entertainment/Pool: We went snorkeling and took advantage of this at least once a day (When we didnt have excursions planned). There are lots of activities that we didnt take part of but we know many other couples had a blast in doing (e.g. pool volleyball, scavenger hunts, etc.) The Pavillion area and pool is the main area for entertainment and fun. It is a larger pool and the music and setting is a bit more lively than the Sunset Bluff Pool which is serene and less crowded. At night we enjoyed the Reggae band the most. The other nights had decent entertainment although at times the music was excessivley loud. We asked our server to turn down the amp and they did a bit. Also, be aware that on the weekends there seems to be a three-day weekend crowd that is a bit younger and into debauchery than the normal honeymoon crowd.

Service: Pretty good. People are genuinely nice. At times the service can be a little slow..but hey, it is the islands, mon!

St. Lucia is a beautiful island. We recommend the zipling canopy tour.

When getting on a van (as is on the airport shuttle), sit towards the front otherwise you may risk car sickness. The roads are winding. Dont forget you are in the 3rd workd afterall...but it is not nearly as bad as some of the negative reviews might have you believe.

Have a blast! We did!

• Liked — Scenic location
  • Disliked — La Toc Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — There's a lot to do and places to eat. Plan in advance to take fool advantage.
4 Thank Weddingmooners
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in St. Lucia. We stayed at the Sandals Regency and loved it! The pool looks just like their ads...beautiful. Initially, we stayed in the Luxury Beachfront Room in the main hotel area, with hopes of upgrading later. We were very pleased with the room. It was also convienient to most restaurants, the main pool, the beach and entertainment at the resort. We later upgraded to a private villa with pool. These are shown on their maps in brochures, but not listed/advertised as a room category. The villa was beautiful, private, with fully stocked bar, and a patio with plunge pool. It had an obstructed view of the ocean, but was very nice.

Concierge service is not the perk we thought it would be. You can pretty much get the info you need from the front desk. The front desk also takes reservations for the two restaurants that require such. These are Kimonos and La Toc. We barely spent anytime in either room, so if you are adventurous and like to stay active, you would likely be pleased staying in the less expensive rooms in the main hotel building.

Grub:

The reviews I read prior to going to this resort, indicated that the food was average. My husband can attest to the fact that I am a very picky eater and will complain about food if it warrants such. That said, almost all the food was great. I was truly impressed. We ate at Arizonas the first night and had great steaks. I am not even into steak much, but it was really good and tender. The Pavillion is the pic you see by the main pool. Its breakfast buffet is wonderful and very expansive. They also have nightly entertainment. Armando's was the first place where I was disappointed by the main course. I had pasta with a cream sauce and the sauce had almost no flavor. I rarey add salt to a prepared pasta dish, but it definately called for it. They had great pizza though, and the restaurant was quite romantic. We aren't into Japanese or French food so we didn't go to Kimonos or La Toc. They appeared very popular though. It would be wise to book your reservations there the same day you arrive to ensure you get a spot. The desserts were average. The best desserts we had were at the Italian restaurant at the Sandals Grande. We both enjoyed the ricotta cheesecake with blueberries and some sort of flan or gelato. Frozen fruit punch was my favorite drink. Their local frozen, No Pressure No Problems drink was good as well. My husband enjoyed the Piton beer.

The Beach:

The reviews I saw here were pretty accurate. The beach at this hotel is small compared to the sister properties. Also, expect rougher water at the Regency. I didn't really consider it rough since I live in an ocean community. Nevertheless, I was going to the island and preferred the calmer water located at the Grande. What I was most disappointed with at the Regency was the water color. I've definately seen clearer, prettier water in other places I've been. However if you've never been to the Caribbean, you would think it was beautiful as did my husband. If you want prettier, calmer water, I would suggest spending a day at the Grande.

Sandals Resort differences in St. Lucia:

After visiting all 3 of them, we were very happy with the one we picked. The Halcyon to us was uneventful, small, and boring. It is the most laid back, thus those who aren't into much activity may prefer it. We visited briefly and had dinner at the Pier restaurant. We spent part of an afternoon at the Grande. I believe it is the newer of the 3 resorts. Their landscaping was beautiful as was the water. It was the busiest and seemingly most active of the 3. The Regency was likely as populated, but the Grande had more people in a somewhat condensed area. Beacause the Regency was so sprawled out, it was rarely crowded with too many people. It was the middle of the 3 and we preferred it. We did our water sports at the Grande which was a lot of fun. We did kayaking and the aqua trike. We took a scuba class at the Regency. The best pool was at the Regency.

Entertainment:

There was entertainment every night, but not as much as I anticipated. Specifically, there was different live music every night, but I never saw other types of shows like fire eating or whatever. This is not to say it didn't happen though. Jimmy's sports bar turns into a club at 11:30 pm. Not a lot of people went there, but we had fun dancing to the good music. Reggae night is Tues in the Pavallion and the performers were excellent. They have daily activities as well, but we were so busy seeing the island that we didn't have time to participate.

Staff:

The staff at the Regency were the most friendly and accomodating out of the 3 resorts. Our biggest complaint was that when we upgraded to a new room, it took quite a while to get our bags. We were told to leave them in our original room and they would take them there at 1pm. We did not get them until 8pm. Grant it, we were gone most of the day, so we didn't need them, but when we needed to change for dinner, it got to be a big inconvienience. We requested to be compensated for this and received 1/2 off a nigt's stay in our villa. We found this to be reasonable.

Tours:

We only participated in one of the hotel offered tours. Otherwise, we rented a car for days 2 and 3 to do our own touring. We are adventurous and like to explore on our own, but it is understandable why others may feel uncomfortable doing so. Driving is on the left, with the steering wheel on the right. The roads have pot holes and are narrow, steep and winding. Street signs and miles per hour are virtually non existant, however when exploring the southern tip, we found it fairly easy to get around with very few turns onto new roads. My husband had a blast driving, but for a lot of people, including me it would be nerve wracking to drive like that. We rarely felt unsafe in the areas we crossed.The tour we took offered by the hotel was to the neighboring island of Martinique. It was an all day type of thing, including breakfast and a great barbeque on the boat. We explored the city area for 2 hours. French is primarliy spoken. The people are not very friendly and it is expensive. We left that area and went snorkeling at a nearby beach and had the bbq. I was hoping to see clearer water, but this was not the case. However, the trip overall was worthwhile. One bad after effect is that we still feel like we are on a boat 3 days later. It's a somewhat uncomfortable wobbly feeling. However, keep in mind that we went scuba diving the day before, thus our equilibrium is all screwed up. Another couple we know took the Land and Sea tour, and enjoyed it very much.

The spa: We did an 80 min couples spa treatment. The spa is beautiful. We had a massage, sea scrub, and bath. I would opt out of the sea scrub if you have any type of sun burn.

Well, this is a very exhaustive overview so hopefully it is helpful. The reviews helped me and I wanted to return the favor and be thorough enough for future honeymooners so that they can make the best choice for their romantic trip. If there are any questions unanswered by this, feel free to respond to the review and I'll be happy to answer. For general info on the island sights and a few other hotels, see my review (s) under either St Lucia or the St Lucia Hotel forums.

• Liked — The resort layout
  • Disliked — trouble with baggage when switching rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Sure. See the review.
24 Thank free2venture
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2006

Unfortunately this was our first Sandals experience and probably will be our last. We were taken to our room (early evening) and the room was not ready, hadnt been cleaned. Food was mediocre, staff - some were friendly. Service was poor. Your promised premium liquors - didnt happen. Our rooms were very nice, did concierge level, great views but always having to ask for things they'll forget to put in our room.
The island of St. Lucia is beautiful - I would go back but not to a Sandals.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
11 Thank desertresident
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2006

This was our first trip to a Sandals resort. There were 7 couples representing a pretty diverse group that has traveled quite extensively. The resort was beautiful and we loved the water's edge suites that we stayed in. However, there were quite a few things that weren’t up to our expectations. The service and food was a disappointment and I would rate it FAIR- POOR. Our travel agent received information from the Sandals staff regarding specifics on what brands they stocked and considered "premium liquor" - the information we received from the resort staff seemed to be a total fabrication. The brands we were told were available were not, and when we asked at the Concierge, they said they have never had these brands available. If we asked for other brands than those provided in our suite – they wanted us to pay $25/bottle. Armando's restaurant wasn’t a problem and was able to handle our big party 2x – the food was the best there, but the service was terrible – I think on average we waited ~1.5-2hrs for a meal – even when it was just the 2 of us for breakfast. We didn’t really mind the wait when we were with the group, but you had to continually ask for a refills on drinks/coffee/etc. The dinner at LaToc was very elegant, but the food wasn’t as good as Armando’s. One day we took the shuttle to the Sandals Grande since there were ~4 of us that wanted to water ski and we found out you couldn’t do that at our resort, only the Grande – when we got there, the ski boat was broke and didn’t get fixed before we left so we weren’t able to water ski at all. On the shuttle ride back to our resort we were stopped at the gate where about 75 employees were picketing – noone could really tell us what the issue was, but we received information later that ~80 housekeeping and grounds employees were let go. After that, we had no turn down service at night and housekeeping service in the room wasn’t as thorough. Several times we came in on our housekeeper cleaning the room at 4-4:30PM and had to make special request for earlier cleaning if we had an earlier appt to get ready for. The spa visit was lovely, although mine was a bit interrupted by drilling and pounding since they were remodeling the Fitness Center right next to the spa. Some of the group wanted to do Yoga/aerobics classes, but they weren’t available due to the fitness center under construction. The guys seemed to enjoy the golf and had no problems getting tee times. Some of us did the scuba and several of us went out on the snorkeling adventure which was fun! The beach and the island were absolutely beautiful, couldn’t have asked for a better atmosphere! We had some pictures taken by the resort people that was a really nice feature. Unfortunately based on our experience with the service and food, most of the people in our group would probably not stay at another Sandals resort.

• Liked — Room and Beach
  • Disliked — Food and Service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank STLove2Travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!