“Wonderful Wedding and Honeymoon”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
mddent
“Wonderful Wedding and Honeymoon”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We had a wonderful time! We took off from Atlanta were it was 45 degrees. We landed in St. Lucia and we were pleasantly surprised with how warm it was there. After a wait in the airport to get through customs, we were immediately directed to a van to take us to the resort. The drive was about an hour and 15 minutes through winding roads up the east coast. I enjoyed seeing the country and the people in the villages. However, if you get car sick, take some Dramamine, book the helicopter, or fly into the airport that is closer to the resort. The drive is beautiful though. When we got to the resort we left our bags and they were taken to our room as we signed in.

We had booked a less expensive room and because we were getting married there, they upgraded us to a honeymoon room right on the beach. The room was always kept super clean and neat. They clean the room twice: when you are at the pool and when you are at dinner.

The first morning that we were there, we had a meeting with our wedding planner, Ana Faye. She was so efficient, sweat, and wonderful. They have wedding planning down to a science. Within 20 minutes we had our entire wedding planned.

The rest of the time was great. The food was generally great. My wife didn’t like the breakfast buffet at the Pavilion, but I was toughly satisfied. You can literally get whatever you want! For lunch, we would get our own delicious personal brick oven pizzas and chips and salsa. We stayed at the Regency for our dinners. All of the restaurants are great. We liked Armando’s and La Toc the best. We also had candlelight dinner on the beach which was also unbelievable.

The pool bar served island drinks and was fun. The drinks are small and not strong, but because it is so hot, they were more for relaxing and refreshment than for getting wasted at 10 AM. Get out early to get your chairs if you want a good spot. When we were there, the resort was not crowded at all so we could get chairs pretty much anytime. The beach is beautiful and clean. I’ve read some reviews that say the ocean is rough and red flags meant they couldn’t swim. I don’t know what they are talking about. We had red flags and the water is pretty calm. If you’ve ever been to a beach in the US, this beach will seem like you are swimming in a pool. There are no waves or undertow. Also, in the summer were I’m from there are lots of bugs. I was completely amazed that in the heat and humidity in St. Lucia that there are NO bugs. None!

We took advantage of the water sports. They were fun and we had no problem using the equipment. The water bikes were fun, but slow. The canoes were faster and a great workout. The catamaran was a bit tricky, but we got the hang of it and I felt like a sailor. We were allowed to go “as far as the horizon” in the boats. Lots of fun!

We took the Soufriere Tour and enjoyed it. It was really hot and the lunch was not good, but otherwise was amazing.

Here is some advice… bring twice as much sunscreen as you think you may need. I use half a bottle of SPF 8 at beaches in the summer in the US. I ran out and had to buy some at the gift shop. The prices for these things are outrageous at the gift shop and at other places around the island. I ended up using two bottles of SPF 30 here. Bring reading materials if you like to read. My wife is a big reader and ran out of reading materials. Magazines are about $12 each…and that’s not a resort markup…that is the cover price! Things are just expensive.

Finally, the thing we liked the best is that there are no rules (well almost no rules). We carried drinks from one restaurant to another, took food back to the room, smoked cigars indoors, and drank alcohol in the pool.

Oh and by the way…out wedding was spectacular. They had our pictures and video ready for us to take home the morning after the wedding. I can’t wait to have my anniversary there!!

4 Thank mddent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,804)
Des Moines area, IA
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Reserved 4 honeymoon deluxe walkout beachfront rooms through a travel agent for our selves and our sons and their spouses. Upon arrival we were upgraded to suites up the hill, far from the beach and main pool. Would not have been so bad but I needed the walkout since I have rheumatoid arthritis. At first I was given the attitude "too bad, so sad" but then hotel manager Carl and Victor met with our whole family and were very accomodating. These two managers were very professional. Regency was great: beach clean and calm being green flagged every day, our nearby pool area and its pool bar were not crowded, the staff excellent, the hotel cats were great, loved the LaToc, fun at the Kimonos, Pavillion had a wide array of food, the Arizona was nice, and well none of us were disappointed! Golfing at the Regency was reasonable and the caddy was sharp and personable. The Spa, though expensive, made us feel like royalty. The zip line tour for 4 of us was made most interesting because of the tour guide's history of the island. The town marketers were very nice to bargain with, and their prices were not priced high.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 8Iowans
Boston
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We were at Sandals Regency from March 5 to March 13, and this was our third Sandals stay, having stayed twice before in Jamaica, first at Whitehouse and then the Royal Caribbean. The staff at all three Sandals have been incredible, so friendly and helpful, but I think overall the staff here was the best. Tasha at the swim up bar at the main pool made the BEST Dirty Bananas and was always smiling and pleasant. The resort is gorgeous with actually 2 sections to it, one down by the large pool which is fun and very active, and the other quieter area is up the hill on the bluffs with the beautiful views and sunsets. The restaurants were all great, although I think Piton's was our favorite. Our room was nice, clean, with an ocean view in the main building, but we had been spoiled at Royal Caribbean last year when they upgraded us to the River Suites. The only complaint we had was there weren't enough umbrellas at the pool if you wanted to escape the sun (and it was very hot every day with an ongoing drought). People would go down to the pool by 6:30 a.m. to reserve a good spot with an umbrella, and some days it was hard to find a chair anywhere. The beach was rough with the red flag for many days, so we only spent 1 or 2 days there. Overall though, the resort is beautiful with a wonderful staff, and I would definitely recommend it, and we may try Sandals in Antigua next year. Many thanks to Amy at Dream Makers Vacations for the awesome service and efficiency in helping us plan our vacation.

1 Thank SuzanneE
Frankfort, NY
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Although my husband and I are not travelers, this was our second time at The Regency. We were married there in February, 2000 and were absolutely amazed at how beautiful St.Lucia and our wedding was. It was then that I began hoping we would return, and 3 years ago that I began planning/dreaming about our most recent trip there.

This time- Feb. 15th to 20th- we were able to return (a total surprise to my husband) with our four adult children and their significant others to renew our vows. It was an added joy to have them with us this time as they were too young to come with us when we were married/merged our families. What a blessed life to enjoy this beautiful place x2 and with such gracious hosts!!

There is very little to complain about at this resort and the minor ones that I can think of (refrigerator not very cold, one person at front desk not all that helpful, departure plans not fully on track) in no way negatively affected any of our experiences. All the staff (from those who cleaned the rooms to the managers) were very attentive and seemed to go out of their way to be personable, friendly, and make you feel welcomed/special (not an easy feat with so many couples celebrating momentous times in their lives or to be able to do ALL day long at your JOB). Hats off to them all, but a few deserve an extra "shout out" : To George at the pool who was never seen without a smile, heard without a compliment/nice word, or too busy to offer to do extra tasks! THANK YOU for making all ten of us feel like we were special and worth going the extra mile for. To be noted- George was seen making all who were in his path feel this way- Kudos to him!! To: Ana-Faye our renewal of vows coordinator who has a beautiful smile, sweet personality, and who never seemed to miss a beat when changes in our schedule conflicted with the plans she had. She was attentive to detail and just rolled with what most of us would find an inconvenience. THANKS for making me feel as though we were friends and for such a special day! TO: Chris and Jena our photographers. What patience (for an "unruly" bunch) and true undertsanding of what makes for beautiful pictures. We really made you work hard (not easy to teach 10 people to follow directions) with no signs of exasperation ; ). We have unbelievable pictures that are highly complimeted by all who see them- THANX so much! Lastly, to the lady and gentleman (I did not get their names) in the jewelry store at the resort. I have a gorgeous diamond ring- that was sized and ready in less than 24 hours. They were overly kind and great to work with- even if for a short time.

I have left out a detailed account of the resort as many other reveiws on this site explain them very well. All our rooms were very clean, the staff treated us all with high regard, the food was great at all restaurants, loved the drinks/pool, and you could be as much a part of the action/as solitary as you would like. I will say that the differences from our first stay there 10 years ago (when we stayed in a room on the bluff) to this stay (with various levels of room on the resort, but not the butler serviced ones) were very few. The weddingmoon 10 years ago included everything, but this time what was included back then are now considered "extras" and needed to be paid for if wanted. Although we did not stay in the rooms with extras (specialty reservations, butler service, etc) , we in no way felt like we missed out on anything thanx to the staff/amenities at the resort. Also, the addition of the Street Party- it was a blast! Great food, entertainment and fun!

We did the Soufriere Adventure Cruise (highly recommended and a great time!!!) that took a catamaran around the island, to a land excursion (in Soufriere) to the botanical gardens/drive through volcano, lunch at a local restaurant, a picture moment at Marigot Bay, and snorkeling before heading back to Castries. Absolutely scenic. We also took in the shopping trip- wonderful marketplace with the locals and at the duty free shopping where the cruiselines dock. Both of these were done through the resort and not overpriced.

We were a large group who cannot stop talking about/looking at the pictures of our amazing time at The Regency in St.Lucia. Our memories there are priceless. Sandals was able to accomodate our late arrival (due to weather/airlines) without a problem. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a beautiful place to make incredible memories.

• Stayed February 2010
2 Thank britar84
richmond, va
Reviewed March 17, 2010

My husband and I went to Sandals Regency in St. Lucia in November 2009. We are regular Sandals guests and were last at this resort in 2003. The resort was fabulous!

We stayed in the sunset cliff area up the hill in a Romeo and Juliet Suite - top floor. Excellent view! We did have butler service and it was wonderful. Especially McCaan - he was great. Our butler service was not very good in Antigua so we were skeptical....but was worth it. Especially when your butler brings you some pina coladas on the beach!

Regency is a very tropical setting - set along and up a cliff - we chose to walk up and down the private road between the sections for a little exercise but dont worry, there is a shuttle available. Beach was beautiful and they now have a few pop up cabanas for shade...but they need more of those.

Husband went golfing....said the staff were great and they assigned him a caddy that is a member of some national golfing team and taught him alot since he just started playing.....said the golf course was beautiful.

Food was really good - service was horrible in the Italian restaurant the first time - the next time we went, the Manager was there overseeing everything and the service was all of sudden fabulous! All of the restaurants were good - wasnt crazy about La Toc this time.

Obviously no fault of the resort, but the beach was closed to swimming 2 days due to unusually strong waves - so we headed over to Sandals Grande for the day. I highly recommend doing this! We stayed in the Grande years ago and boy is it different. Bigger, better and beautiful. I slammed them in my review back then because we were robbed ($400 stolen from our safe in our room) and management couldnt have cared less. Hopefully they have better staff and management there....because they sure were accomodating while we were there for the day. Sandals gave us a free dinner at Gordons, a new restaurant out on the Pier which is usually an additional charge for guests. It was very nice but food no better than all the other restaurants, so dont waste your money on that.

Now, back to Regency! I would recommend this resort - it is beautiful. Heading to the new Sandals Emerald Bay in May - will be sure to post a review on that one!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank doglover0000
Reviewed March 17, 2010

This was our first time at a Sandals resort. We booked a year in advance to stay at the Sandals Regency La Toc in St Lucia. We were there mid February 2010 for 10 nights. My wife and I found the entire resort to be a truly wonderful experience. The food was excellent, the staff was incredibly friendly and fun. We felt we had made friends of some of the staff and were sad to leave them as we headed home. We did experience some minor inconveniences which I will get into later.

As you arrive at the airport they try and carry your bags, for a gratuity of course. I was told beforehand to carry our own bags as the Sandals desk is like only 50 feet away. That is correct, unless you feel like tipping someone for moving your bags a very short distance. It is a rather hectic place but remain calm and carry your own bags to the Sandals desk. Sandals will tag your bags and get you into a van. We got into a local taxi van that seemed to be hired in addition to the regular Sandals transport. The van was quite messy and dirty. At that time I wondered what we had gotten our selves into. I think we could have picked a cleaner Sandals van if we looked, like I said it is hectic and you just kinda go with the flow. The drive is a windy 1 hr ramble up and over to the other side of the island, I found it very interesting to see the range from poverty to rich dwellings. The traffic / constant passing can be intimidating but I felt very safe during the ride.

It is not necessary, but will streamline your check in if you keep your Sandals reservation confirmation with you for check in rather than in your bags. Upon arrival you are graciously met with a cool damp towel to refresh and taken to a comfortable room to learn some things about Sandals and check in. You will be offered champagne but you can also ask for a beer or whatever and it will arrive.

The Regency has plenty of space on the beach and several pools. When the place was full for our first few days, if you want a good pool deck chair you have to get there before 10 and put a towel and magazine or other bag on the chair you want, by 11 every chair was ‘reserved’ this way, even though some folks never showed up the entire day! There were always enough pool towels, sometimes you had to wait a few minutes for them to restock.

The water sports guy took me out at length on a Hobie Cat and instructed me well and patiently on the art of sailing. Thank you sir!

It was easy to avoid any crowds and relax in peace and quiet. The main pool is the busy one. The pool on the hill was always quite.

We booked the basic room and got bumped up one notch. We had a room close to the main pool with a gorgeous view of the garden and ocean. It was very clean and comfortable. I saw one big beetle type bug in the bathroom which I dispatched quickly.
Never saw another bug. I did see a large slug in the hallway which would have been a slippery encounter if stepped on after a few Dirty Bananas at the swim up bar. By the way the drinks are fantastic and endless.

You do have to ask for brand name booze, if you don't, you get bar brand, but hey, it’s mixed with a banana and four other liquors so who cares. Try the Bushwhacker. Try two if you dare. There are some resort cats that wander about but are no problem. A few birds fight over leftovers at the service station in the main Pavilion Restaurant, I would suggest the staff place the plate scrapings in a container with a lid to reduce the bird gathering. They did have bird repelling electronic devices operating, my guess is that if they turned them off it might look like Hitchcock's the birds. The few birds that do hang out are entertaining and by no means a nuisance. If you watch close while walking you will see some small lizards scurrying about the vegetation edges.

Being close to the main pool and center of action was great. Some folks lived a ways from there on the bluff and it was good walk or wait for the shuttle to get down. Up in the mid day warmth would be a chore. We walked up a few times at night, but only once during the day. The lounge and pool on the bluff were very quiet most of the time.
We had breakfast at the Pavilion Buffet most days, it was tremendous. Anything you could think of was available. From fresh omelets to oatmeal from fish to bacon and sausage and cheese. We did go to Armando's for a served off the menu breakfast one morning and the service was not so good. We constantly asked for coffee and champagne and they nodded OK but never came back? I had eggs and toast and the toast never showed up either. We finally got up and helped ourselves to coffee, champagne and toast! I saw the person we asked for service eating leftovers off of bussed plates. I am sure they would be fired if caught, but this says something about the economy / country. I was guessing they were hungry and those scraps were a welcome boost to his standard of living.

We had one other staff encounter. The Piano Bar Bartender was quite rude to one of our group ladies. Repeatedly. They reported the incident and the service manager followed up talking to everyone involved to get the story straight. We were concerned the gentleman would lose his job, the service manager assured us he would be counseled and probably retrained and placed in a different job on the resort and not fired. I will guess that the resort jobs are very good jobs for the ones lucky enough to get one.

Take the quick tour of the resort that explains everything. Even if it’s the second day. It is worth it. No pressure. No problem. My heartiest well deserved congratulations to the playmaker Glenda Splenda who was promoted while we were there. She was our quick tour guide and made our day with her humor and friendly great attitude

Some staff were seen accepting tips, one told me they would be fired if caught and he did not want to take that chance. We did give the room maids pencils and school type supplies for any children they wanted to share with, she seemed quite pleased with that gift. I wish we had more pencils and kid type stuff to hand out to the staff. They all were willing to talk about their families if asked.

We are going to send enlargements of pictures of some of the staff to the staff in the pictures as thanks. I hope they all get to the folks we would like to have them.

On occasion there was a small odor of sewage in the air if the wind drifted a particular way. They process it on the resort so it is inevitable that it will waft at you occasionally. It’s a small island.

My highest praise is to George at the main pool swim up bar and deck. Friendliest guy you would ever want to meet, he went out of his way to make you feel comfortable, welcome, befriended and well served! Whatever they pay him is not enough. My other favorite was the staff at The Cricketer Pub. Entertaining, fun and friendly! Great job guys! Nice rainbow hair David! You said I was the troublemaker from Idaho because I talked to the Sandals supervisors! All I was doing was telling them that the staff at the Cricketer was the best crew on the resort! Thank you all at the Cricketer for a marvelous time, great drinks, great service, entertainment and good food!

I wish I could remember the lady bartender’s name that we met a few times and talked family at the Sunset Bar. She was a marvelous friendly person. I hope your children do well in life!

Arizona’s food was great. The pizza was tremendous. Kimonos grill with our group was a rollicking great time with good entertainment and great food. My wife liked the caviar so they brought more!

One thing they can fix, they need to clean all their restrooms more often. All those people drinking endless drinks seem to over whelm the men's room. The one in the hall next to the pub was in need of some attention by a cleaner every time I used it. My wife said the women's rest rooms were always clean. Men need to aim better I guess.

Another suggestion, they need to serve Bloody Marys in the AM, not just champagne. I worked around one day by asking for two drinks to go just before retiring and putting them in the room fridge next to the freezer. In the AM they still had ice!

They need more music variety, every day the same music played over and over at the pool. Sandals could and should spring for the rights to play some better music. Some times the bands were too loud, you could move back, but turning it down one notch would help it sound better.

We did take the shuttle to the Halcyon and the Grande. It is more like 45 minutes to and hr when the Castries traffic is congested. Had dinner at the Halcyon Pier, it was excellent. The Halcyon is older and smaller. More vegetation and closed in. Seemed to be lower key, but we were there at dinner time. The Grande was huge and new and richer we thought. Real live mall stores (spendy) but a real nice place. Seemed like the guests at the Grande were a bit richer/older /quieter? But I think this is a function of the Regency feeling like our home and we were newbies at the other two and only briefly there.

Best party was the Street Party at Regency. Amazing food. Really amazing. All the crab you could eat, roast suckling pig, fresh bread, great chicken, oxtail stew, deserts to die for anything you wanted from standard fare to local exotics. Excellent. Then they had incredible stilt walkers dancing, steel drum band and acrobatic fire dancers that would let you participate in if you were so inclined. Great time. The Regency street party was way better than the Grande beach party.

Talent night was great. The guests did some good stuff and the staff was very entertaining.

Valentines Day chocolate buffet has to be seen and tasted to be believed. Wow!

We drank the water from the taps constantly. Felt great the whole time.

Took a jungle jeep ride safari. Great knowledgeable fun guide. Stopped in a small town with tourist shops. Hiked into the jungle, there were NO bugs? They say its cause they have bats which chomp them every night, and there is a hint of sulfur in the air which no one smelled except the bugs (from the bubbling mud pot springs they call a volcano) and the island is sand..great drainage means no standing water for bugs to breed in.

Our friends went on the tree tram cable ride tour and came back wowed....I should have gone...maybe next time.

There are a few local vendors on the beach. All the beaches are public domain so they are allowed. They were friendly and not pushy and had some interesting goods. A gentleman at the Halcyon beach was weaving figures out of palm leaves and giving them away...you can tip the local vendor and they know that!

On your last day, keep your swim suit with you and a bag to put it in wet in your travel bag. You are separated from your bag quite early on departure day. We sat for a few hrs by the pool being served by George wishing we still had our swimsuits.

We were in a clean very nice van from the resort back to the airport. The departure from St Lucia airport was interesting. We went thru normal security with the bag xray and shoe take off and sat for a while in the small terminal. Our flight was 2.5 hrs away and we were asked to board? We were moved thru a second security which involved a hand search of carry on bags and a pat down. They kept us in a small space standing for about 45 minutes before letting us go to the plane early. I mean a small uncomfortable standing room only space. The plane did depart early.

Conclusion. Regency is a great place, worth the money if you like to drink. If you are a tea toddler go on cruise. I would go back in a flash to the Regency. Maybe to the Grande. St Lucia is a beautiful country with great people. My wife and I are looking to go to another Sandals soon. Variety is the spice of life. We had an experience that will be a lasting great memory for a lifetime. Thank You Regency staff!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank IdahoTravlar
Ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2010

This was our first trip to Sandals in St. Lucia but we are return guests to Sandals. The resort was beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, but I recommend that you make your reservations to the two restaurants which require reservations as soon as you arrive. Our best dining experience was at La Toc, French cuisine. The Japanese restaurant was a fun experience.
We were upgraded to a suite which was a nice touch. The hotel is very spread out with the suites and upper level rooms located at the far, top end of the resort. Our room required a shuttle bus to go to and from the main hotel area, unless you wanted to walk. A negative point would be the lack of shade. Umbrellas were very scarce. I have been assured by the concierge that more have been ordered. The bus drive from the airport was very long with well paved, windy, uphill roads. The arrival area of the airport was very small and hot, but the departure area was much more comfortable. We met some wonderful people from all parts of the world. I would not recommend this resort if you are looking for a great beach area. Very few people sat on the beach. The pool areas were large and well used.

4 Thank dodoontario
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!