“An Exceptional Resort - Best of the 3 Sandals Resorts”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Toronto, Ontario
“An Exceptional Resort - Best of the 3 Sandals Resorts”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We just returned from our most romantic 10-day honeymoon at the Sandals Regency, St. Lucia. This is an unbelievably beautiful and romantic resort. The views are breathtaking, from any corner of the resort. This is a massive resort full of hilly roads, so there's alot to do and see. It caters to everyone - those who prefer a crowded/loud area with music can hang out at the Pavillion bar/pool and those who prefer to have a quieter time, can chill at the bluff's pool/bar area. There's a live band and an exceptional entertainment crew to keep you entertained every evening during and after dinner at the Pavillion. If you're looking to party more, you can visit the Sports Bar which also turns into a club after 11pm. This resort is very clean, very green if you love nature, private and it has got alot to offer to anyone. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The spa/service is amazing - definitely do a couple's massage (Scents of Love Massage). All the rooms by the Pavillion in the main area have been upgraded with flat screen TV's and they'll be soon upgrading the rooms on the bluffs. The rooms on the bluffs are just exceptional. We stayed in the Royal Oceanfront 2-Storey Villa with a private plunge pool and it was well worth it. We also had a private driver with a Mercedes Benz take us to and from the Hewannora airport to the resort. We were greeted at the bluff's concierge by the Head Butler, and he cracked open a bottle of champagne and offered us freshly baked cookies before our designated butler took us to our room. We had a very private room at the very end (Rm. 816) - the best room of the category! It was massive, very clean and we particularly enjoyed the space, the premium bar selection in our room, the 24-hr room service (with a variety of food to choose from), the BUTLER SERVICE, the jacuzzi in our room, the PRIVATE PLUNGE POOL (4 1/2 feet deep) and the breathtaking SUNSET VIEW. Our room was on an approximately 50ft cliff, so we were looking at the ocean and the water crashing on the rocks 50ft below. I must speak about the Butler Service - it was just exceptional and we really got spoilt by the Butlers. Our favourite butler was Auguste - he volunteered to do stuff for us and went over and above for us. The Butlers are very friendly and offer a variety of things to do for you i.e. check-in, check-out, pack/unpack for you, draw a rose scented bath (he did it twice for us - both times a surprise) with candles and champagne, laundry/dry-cleaning service (at a charge), turn-down service, flowers decoration on our bed, music, etc etc etc. You can ask the Butler to bring you any movie (from a huge list they give you) and you can watch them in your room. The Butler's also make restaurant reservations/appointments for you, arrange your weekly planner and cater to any needs you may have. Our butler also organized a romantic dinner for us at the brand new Gordon's Restaurant on the Pier at the Sandals Grande (exclusive for butler suites only). The head butler, Prasad, is an exceptional and well qualified/experienced manager. I must say - the butler service is worth it if you're really looking to get spoilt at the Sandals Regency. This resort looks just the same, if not better, as it does in the pictures on the Sandal's website. There's a variety of restaurants to choose from and the food was excellent everywhere we went. I especially enjoyed the La Toc restaurant because I love lamb chops and creme brulee. There's a convenient shuttle that runs every hour to and from the 3 sandals resorts, so we visited the Grande and the Halycon. The Grande is nice, its new but its very North American - more like a 4-star hotel not a resort. It's better for a group of friends, then for a couple on their honeymoon. It's more of a party place and the Regency is more of a romantic, private, couples only kind of a resort, especially because of its mountains and hills. The Grande and the Halycon is on flat land, so it's like a regular Cancun style resort - nothing exceptional, however the Grande does have a slightly clearer beach/water. The true carribbean feeling is to stay at the Regency. The Halycon is extremely quiet and dead - there's no music, no entertainment and it is very very small. There's not much to do there, however it does offer a very nice restaurant called The Pier - we had dinner there as well. Halycon is more for older couples, from what we observed. Tours - if you want your money's worth and would like to see St. Lucia in a day - do The Land & Sea Tour - that was alot of fun and was worth it. We also did the Dolphin & Whale Watching Tour, however, due to choppy waves and a small motor boat - we got sick halfway. We did see alot of Dolphins and Whales, but it wasn't worth the $75USD. My husband surprised me to a beach dinner one night and it was simply wonderful. The menu was customized by my husband and prepared by an exceptional chef. I had all of my favourite courses. In conclusion, Sandals Regency is an exceptional, very natural, very clean and a romantic resort full of hills and mountains and breathtaking views of the ocean. We had a terrific time on our honeymoon and it seems like it was the best one out of the 3 for a couples resort.

43 Thank Torontonian06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,804)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We stayed for 2 weeks in June. We were on our free Sandals week and one week paid by us as we have been to other Sandals resorts for 70 nights. We were very disappointed by this resort. We had a room next to the pool and the noise was unbearable and on until late. The noise around the mail pool was just as bad during the day but there was not a lot you could do to escape the noise, except move room. We would have done this but they were full. If you are looking to relax then do not stay in a room in the main part of the resort as it is just constant noise. The refurbished rooms themselves are very nice but if you want a full sized bath tub then they don't have them, they have much smaller ones that you can only sit in. The plasma tv was great though.

The food was ok, much preferred the Grande. We tried to move to the Grande but unfortunately that was also full. La Toc was not great, Kimmonos was very good, Armondos was very good, the Pavillion was ok for breakfast and lunch but dinner could be very slow and tasteless at times. The Pitons was good and Arizonas was average. Toscanninis over at the Grande was great, by far the best. Marios at the Halcyon was ok, food was fine but the resturant was a bit too hot.

The majority of the main bar was closed for our first week so that was not great but it re-opened for the second week so that was ok. What was very annoying was they decided to close the main pool, main beach and main bar all day one day so that they could take pictures and videos of the hotel. This would have been ok if there were adequate facilities elsewhere, which there were not.

If you want a shade and a towel you need to get up early. If you like to sleep in and are in the building next to the pool, forget it. Obtain a 'do not disturb' as soon as you can as room servicing wake you up at 08.30 wanting to service your room.

20 Thank Ashleywarren
Reviewed June 24, 2006

My husband and I were terrified after reading some of the reviews on this hotel, but after going I decided to share our experience and Sandals.
First off we are not young 20 somethings looking to booze it up. We are in our late 30's and were looking for some relaxation. We sure did find it at Regency
Our accomadations were up on the bluffs with the private plunge pool. The room itself looked a little tired but was always clean and had fresh towels and a stocked fridge. The plunge pool was also very clean, but also a little cold. It was out of the way and very quiet. The pool up there was also very nice. Not as crowded as the main pool. The rooms are located up a hill so if you walk, you will feel it, but there is also a shuttle that will take you up and down if you like.
The main resort was always clean and the food was never really bad, but not really spectatcular either. We loved Armando's, and La Toc had a great dinner. Kimonos was a lot of fun and the food was also good. We also enjoyed a dinner on our balcony the last night and that was probably the best. Very romantic
While there we did a lot of diving. The divemasters were all wonderful and we had a great time with the other couples. Most of the guests there were in our age range, so we all melded well together. I do recommend the day tour to souffrie. It is long but a lot of fun.
The staff was wonderful. Clovis, our butler was simply awesome. We never had to ask for anything twice and the butlers will give little surprises here and there that will make your stay enjoyable. We did tip them at the end of the trip, but they were the only ones who are allowed to receive one.
Transportation to the airport was long. We had a private car each way so it was not bad. We just sat back and enjoyed the scenery.
All in all we had a great time. If you are looking for high class, ritz style accomodations, this is not for you. What you will find is decent food, nice accomodations and very warm people. It is all in what you expect. We did visit the Grande while there and it was much noisier and seemed livelier. Probably better for a younger crowd. We would go back again but probably would stay in one of the newer, renovated rooms. So please do not be terrified of the bad reviews, go and have a good time!!

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2006

WOW! Could not believe how beautiful this resort was. Totally took my breath away. The staff were fantastic and really made our holiday. All the activities made it so much more than a relaxing beach holiday. The food was amazing espcially at kimmonos, but book well in advance. Never managed to eat at the french one but was not too upset. The spa facilities was great and i would recommend the aloe vera wrap for anyone with sunburn as it treats it really well. Also the mud wrap is so relaxing i fell asleep! Over all an amazing resort in a beautiful location, will be back on my honeymoon!

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Like most, I read practically all the reviews that I could making myself nuts on both points of view. Finally I just decided to have a good time no matter what happened and just brush off anything bad that did happen. Well, I tried. St Lucia is a beautiful island and the Sandals Regency is also beautiful. But the service, could be better. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 4pm, a little annoyed but what are you gonna do. Terry, one of the greeters, escorted us to the Arizona Restraurant to eat while we waited for our room. Very buggy, but hey, you are eating outside. Finally got our room in the main building, but you only get one room key and the key has to stay in the slot on the wall or you get no electricity and air condition. No problem, just slid a supermarket club card or an FOP card into the slot while we used the room key. Did not get room service one day and did not get any towels a couple of days. Make sure you make your restaurant reservations immediately!!!! We arrived on Tuesday, I called as soon as we got our room for reservations for the Kimonos restaurant but the person at the desk said that they were booked until Monday. We were leaving Sunday. The drinks were great, but you have to ask other people what they are drinking and store a list in your mind. They don't have a list of what they have or make, so ask for something fruity (I prefer a dirty banana!). Also, don't be afraid to flag down a bartender or raise your voice to be seen, some of the bartenders ignored us after standing at the bar for a few minutes and helped other people who walked up after us.
We went snorkling, but got eaten alive by jellyfish. The boat ride was nice though. We recommend the Jeep Safari Adventure. It was wonderful! We went through alot of the island, banana plantations, and the rain forest. Samantha our tour guide was wonderful. Also, take advantage of going to the other Sandals and eating at other restaurants. For Breakfast, do the Pavilion Buffet! Just don't leave you dish or the birds will eat your food.
Overall, the trip was relaxing. What could be better then floating in a pool with a frosty beverage.
Bring a pen on the plane to fill out customs slips
Bring your own ketchup, its scarce in the Regency

19 Thank DirtyHarry156
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My husband and I returned from our honeymoon last week, and we had a great time. The food was amazing - especially dessert at the Piton restaurant. (And I am a VERY picky eater, so the fact I liked the food is really saying something)

The resort has a very secluded, romantic feel to it. We especially loved the covered hammocks located throughout the property (along the beach).

My only complaint is that the room furniture was a little run down, but other than that it was a nice place to sleep and relax. (We had a Honeymoon Oceanview 1 Bedroom - Room 33)

The staff was very courteous and helpful. They do move at a slower pace than most travellers are probably used to, but this is the caribbean, and it's a vacation, not a race.

For off-site excursions, we did the Soufriere Adventure and the 4 hour horseback riding with BBQ. The adventure was great. As for the horseback riding - I would probably do the 2 hour if I had to do it over. The BBQ was good, but it was just so hot on the horses. The only plus about the 4 hour is that you get more time to explore the cove and tidal pools while you wait for the food to be prepared.

I have to say I was very nervous after reading many of the negative reviews, but I would venture a guess that those reviewers are difficult to please in general.

Just go with the flow and enjoy your vacation - you'll have a great time.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
massachusetts
Reviewed June 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the resort from 5/28-6/6. We originally planned on staying 8 days 7 nights but upon arrival we realized that we must stay an extra two nights. The staff at the front desk took care of everything. I must say after reading reviews I was afraid to go. The only thing I found troubleing was the ride from the airport to the hotel. But I survived.... Dinners were great and breakfast was even better at armondos. Marios was a runner up, but I love italin food. The resturant were they prepare the food in front of you was also a treat. However for the big deal they made about dress code I saw lots of sandals and shorts it just depends who is the host or hostess if you are to be seated or not. The attention from all of the staff was top quality, some even remembered your name, purpose for visit and what your fav. drink. I couldnt walk by someone without them saying hello staff and guests alike. The wedding staff were very easy going and made me feel at home, they made me feel if I was the only person they had a wedding for and on the day we got married they had 10 weddings. They didn't try to pressure us into any add ons and when your on a budget and your wallet is smaller than your eyes this is helpful. I must also say I enjoyed the snorkeling which then lead me to take the scuba course the next day. They held my hand and were very supportive even when I was almost in tears from being so nervous. What a over reaction. I wish we did the course the day we got there. I would have liked to do more dives. Nightlife was limited. But in truth I was so busy during the day I was sleeping by 10 and up at 6:30 to take advantage of everything. Everyone should go on the ATV adventure. They really mean you don't need to know how to drive on. Just please don't stop on the trail while in the middle of going up or down a trail. The beach they take you is a fairytale. Bring water on all excursions. They say they supply drinks....not always the drink you want. All in all the best vacation I have ever had. Order a BBC for me when you go (bannana, coconut milk, baileys, and it is blended with ice, its thick like a shake. For a really cold Piton beer go to the Halcyon.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank babymakingmachine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!