“Worst vacation ever”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Worst vacation ever”
Reviewed February 18, 2006

The first room had COCKROACHES & MOLD! MY HUSBAND COULD BARELY BREATHE in the room. So they moved us to a room that did not have cockroaches, it still had the mold. Horrible food. Drinks were in the smallest cups, lines at every bar. No beach bar. Night entertainment was awful. The pool was gross. We took an excursion which was terrible. At the luncheon that was included with the excursion I almost drank a very small fish that was LIVING IN THE WATER I WAS DRINKING!

Worst vacation ever.

It was so bad, it was like out of a movie.

I would not go back if you paid me.

We now laugh about it.

• Stayed November 2003
13 Thank Sarahcmhb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2006

I was terrified at what I might find at this resort from reading all the reviews on trip advisor. To those of you that ripped this resort apart, shame on you.
The St. Lucia Sandals is quite similar in service to all the Sandals properties. The food was below average (remember this is an all inclusive), The drinks were always available, the entertainment was fun and the staff was hysterical. They went the extra mile to make the stay enjoyable.

The rooms were awesome in the main building. All had just been remodeled. Flat Panel TVs, marble bathrooms, the works. This was the Premium level room category, which was second to last. The rennovations in this building are done. There was another building that was being remodeled and was about 98% done. We never were bothered by the construction as it was away from the pools and other rooms.

The entire resort is being remodeled in stages, so do expect some construction around the property.

The pools needed to be cleaned more often, but they did try to keep up with all the leaves that blew in each night.

The beach was beautiful and warm. We swam in it everyday.

This really is a nice place to relax and enjoy each other.

We did one excursion off property which was Sea and Sea tour. Very good! Worth the money.

Last word of advice.. ignore all these reviews and go and enjoy yourself. No Pressure, No Problem!

20 Thank Kim W
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed February 15, 2006

Where: Sandals Regency, St. Lucia

When: 2 Feb 06 – 9 Feb 06

Who:If you’re reading this review, you’ve undoubtedly read many others. In ‘doing our homework’, we were surprised at the great range of opinions from the same resort. I think it depends a lot on perspective and expectations, so it might be good to establish my ‘baseline’. I spend probably 30% of my time on the road for business. I typically stay at Hiltons and Marriotts, with the occasional Sofitel or Star Hotels thrown in for good measure. The comparisons I make will most likely be to American establishments, since that’s what I know best. Having eaten Italian, Japanese, French, and American foods in their own countries, I do know the difference between good food and great food, and why each is what they are. I’ve also lived in a tent in the desert for a year, and have eaten things that could have been on ‘fear factor’. So….that’s who I am, and why I hope the opinions I’m offering are as objective as they can be.

What: We booked, and received a luxury ocean view room with a private balcony. We paid approximately $3000 for the entire week for two people. I say this, because it’s what my level of happiness / satisfaction is based on. The more I’d have spent, obviously, the less satisfied I would have been with what we’d gotten. Based on the negative reviews, my expectations were fairly low. What I think most people don’t take into account, is: THIS IS THE CARRIBBEAN!!!!! With the exception of the Disney-fied islands which have lost all of their local culture and flavor, you will NOT find a London / New York / Paris 5-star operation here, regardless of what you pay. I was not expecting 5-star, and didn’t get it. I was not expecting Michelin-rated food, and didn’t get it. I was not expecting flawless efficiency, planning, and organization, and didn’t get it. It’s the Caribbean, mon, no pressure. If you’re expecting these things, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

ARRIVAL. We arrived at the Castries (closest) airport at 8:30pm. This airport is only able to accept smaller turbo-prop aircraft. Our American Eagle flight was from San Juan, PR. Regardless of what you might be told elsewhere, if you don’t have your passport, you’ll have to go thru a much larger red-tape hassle than the rest. I expected the aggressive baggage guy who transported our bags outside and 30ft to the curb for ‘donations’, and there he was. It was worth the $3. If it’s not worth it to you, just be ready to stand your ground and move your bags yourself. Once outside, the real Sandals driver somehow knew who we were, and had our names on his list. He loaded our bags into the Sandals minivan, and got us promptly to the Regency in about 15 min with no incidents.

CHECK-IN. By arriving later, we were lucky enough to avoid the ‘mass check-in’, so I can’t offer any thoughts on that. We were given paperwork to fill out, offered some orange juice / champagne, and asked to postpone our ‘introduction briefing’ so that we could eat dinner (as the restaurants were closing at 9:30). We were given our room key, and were driven (with our bags) to our room. The following morning, we went thru a very brief overview, and given a second key. We signed for a safe lock / key, which we didn’t get. I thought we were signing for the second key, and never messed with the safe, so it wasn’t an issue. If you’d like to store your diamonds in your room, however, make sure you get the lock. They recommended that we attend the mass briefing in the auditorium the next morning, but we didn’t….and were just fine.

THE ROOM. Refer to my ‘Caribbean’ opinions above. We were both very satisfied with the room. These were not the updated, refurbished rooms, but that was okay. The front door stuck when opening and closing, the sliding glass door didn’t slide, and the bathroom door was louvered so as to dispel any illusion of privacy you might have. The iron had an American plug, while all the sockets were the British 3-flat-pronged variety…which didn’t matter, because even when I used my handy-dandy adapter, the iron only rattled and got slightly-uncomfortable-to-the-touch. It did, however, serve to beat some of the wrinkles into submission. We left the ironing board up to give us someplace other than the Barbie-sized dresser to put our stuff. The water pressure in the sink was non-existent, to the point that it took a minute and a half to fill up a small water bottle. The shower, for some reason, was okay. Again, let me pause and say that we were both very satisfied with the room. It was clean, cheerfully-bright green, and had a great view from a VERY private balcony. We didn’t spend 12 hours traveling to St. Lucia to be room-bodies. It was simply a place to sleep, change, and relax from time to time. The bed was comfortable, the TV and coffee pot worked, and running constantly at maximum, the air conditioner kept the room cool (not cold, but cooler and less humid than outside) in the heat of the day. There was NO trace of mold or mildew, or the smell that goes along with it.

SERVICE:
Room – Our Housekeeping lady came every day between 1pm and 2pm, and did a great job. We always got fresh towels, a well made bed, a clean floor (no small feat near the beach, mind you) and she would sweep the leaves that had collected on the balcony. On one occasion, we were occupied, and asked her to come back later. Later ended up being the next day, so don’t expect anything to happen in a timely manner. Sometimes it took an hour to clean the room, sometimes it was several.
Food – More on Restaurants and food later, but the service while dining was good. The service itself, when you got it, was great. The frequency, however, was not. Every time someone came to our table during meals, it always seemed to be someone different than the last time. We ended up just getting anyone’s attention we could whenever we needed something. Everyone was always very courteous and attentive. Some were very outgoing and friendly, some were more matter-of-fact. Other than the service lulls, however, we never got bad service. My recommendation: Order all your drinks at once, as soon as you have the opportunity. I don’t think it jives with their ‘system’, but it’s what works the best.
Front desk / admin – Everyone that we would consider management or administration was very friendly and professional. Having said that, though, I should admit that with one small exception, we never had an issue that needed addressing. Our interaction with them centered around things like restaurant reservations, etc. I have a feeling that if we DID have a problem, we could easily have gotten our names put on a list, and thrown into the “no pressure no problem” bureaucracy.
Maintenance – The non-sliding glass door was the one small exception. After breakfast on the first day, I reported it to the front desk, and was put on a list. When I got back to the room, I took two minutes to fix it myself. As far as I know, no one ever showed up to look at it. In fairness, they could have come when we weren’t there and seen that it was okay. I just don’t know. Jumping back to the mold and mildew issue, there were several mornings we left our room, to find the grounds people scrubbing the sidewalks with bleach water. We did not see or smell anything moldy in the week we were there. In addition to the room renovations, there is CONSTANT activity to maintain and upkeep the grounds and facilities. Planting, pruning, roofing, painting, scrubbing, watering, etc etc, all day long. The regency does an admirable job of maintaining an enormous facility in what must be one of the least maintenance-friendly environments there is.

LAYOUT: The Regency is a huge, sprawling, hilly complex…..and it’s great. The ‘atmosphere’ is one of a small village, rather than a resort. If you’re looking to have everything ‘conveniently’ centrally located, or if you don’t like walking from point A to point B, this is NOT the place for you. If you enjoy the privacy and serenity of not being surrounded by people and ‘resort stuff’ all the time, it might be. There is an almost constant shuttle service that runs from the main complex, to the top of the hill. It was also unusual when we were walking, that we weren’t asked if we would like a ride. Both the Grande and the Halcyon were much smaller, and much more centrally collected. Both had more of a ‘hotel’ feel than the Regency. The grounds of the Regency were always very nicely manicured and maintained. The construction and renovation seems to have started in the main buildings, and is working its way up the hill. We were across the street from the Pitons Restaurant, and our building had not been updated.

FOOD: Overall, most of the food was just fine. If you expect something along the lines of an Old Country Buffet / Shoney’s / Friendly’s / Ponderosa / Golden Corral / corporate cafeteria, then you probably won’t be disappointed…and maybe pleasantly surprised sometimes. The presentation, of course, was much better than any of the aforementioned establishments, and the portions were reasonable. The desserts were uniformly tasteless, and all had a funny texture. It may stem from being frozen and unfrozen, but that’s just a guess. We had two dishes that I would consider bad, and none that I would consider great. As pretty much everyone agrees, you need to make your reservations as soon as you can. We were able to get one each at Kimonos and La Toc, but everything else was full.

Breakfast – Very standard breakfast buffet fare. Decent variety, including fruits, cold cuts, breads, hot dishes, cereals, juices, and an eggs-to-order grill with surprisingly fresh eggs and decent omelets. Just a side note: the ingredients for your omelet are mixed in the same little bowl that was used for the person before you, and the person before them…so don’t freak out if you happen to get a little piece of something you didn’t order. Life’s an adventure sometimes. You’ll have to ask for condiments such as ketchup and hot sauce, or grab them from an empty table. Breakfast is served at the Pavilion and Armandos.

Lunch – Kimonos and La Toc are closed for lunch.

Dinner – The selections from all restaurants are fairly limited, and didn’t change during the week we were there. The menu choices for each restaurant were generally 3 or 4 appetizers / soups, a salad or two, maybe 5 entrees, and 3 desserts. Assuming an average stay of 7 – 10 days, as long as you don’t limit yourself to just one restaurant, it works out to be okay. We never ended up having the same meal twice, though preparation of the same entrée (beef, fish, chicken, etc) ends up being pretty darned similar between restaurants.

Pavilion – This is the main eatery at the regency. It’s open to the elements, and overlooks the main pool and ocean. Yes, there are plenty of birds flying around. They rarely land on an occupied table, however, and I never saw them getting anything from the serving line. 90% of everything on the line is covered in some fashion. Previous reviewers were absolutely aghast at the proximity of birds to their food. If you share similar views, this is NOT the place for you. We enjoyed the entertainment the little guys provided. Except for dinner, this is buffet / serving line food, and the quality is pretty standard. The dinner food is quite good, and the atmosphere is nice. Again, the drinks (with alcohol and without) are small, and the opportunities to get them are few and far between, unless you get up and go to the bar yourself. Stock up whenever you can. This is also where the main entertainment and events take place in the evenings, so towards later in the evening, you may find yourself in the middle of setting-up-and-preparations activity.

La Toc – The atmosphere is very nice. Some of the food was very good, but the desserts were sub-par. The house (free) wine was okay, though you’re given the opportunity to purchase something better. Interestingly, it’s easier to get reservations at La Toc than Kimonos. The service seemed to be much more attentive and available here than most.

Kimonos – Japanese Steak house, where the food is prepared for 4 or 5 couples around a community grill table. Except for our Sushi / appetizer choice, the menu was disregarded, and we all got a little bit of everything. It was good for Japanese in the Caribbean, but again…not great. The atmosphere was fun and relaxed enough that I, as asocial as I am, enjoyed the interaction with the other couples. The chef’s presentation was very entertaining. When taken as a whole package, Kimonos was a very good experience.

Armando’s – This was the biggest disappointment of all the restaurants we tried. The décor and location were great, but I’ve had MUCH better Italian food at the Olive Garden and even Fazoli’s than Armando’s. The dishes without pasta (Beef Caponella) were much better than with. The pasta however, was just horrible.

Arizona – Standard grill menu. During the off-times, the Arizona offers convenience-store-quality chips and salsa, pigs-in-blankets, and pizza to snack on. The bar at the Arizona seemed to be open more often than most, and Robert was both professional, and a riot.

Pier – Located at the Halcyon. While most literature says that the Pier requires reservations, it currently doesn’t. You’ll need to get there when they open, however, cuz there’s always a line. The food was surprisingly good, and the atmosphere was surprisingly nice. Worth the trip from the Regency.

DRINKS: Yep, the drinks were watered down, and it was tough to get ‘premium’ brands unless you asked for them. When they did come, they were in slightly-larger-than-shot-glass sized kiddie cups. I ended up having to forego the foo-foo drinks, and order a triple (enter your brand liquor of choice here) on the rocks to get any sort of effect. The thing is, I was on vacation, and I had all week to come back as many times as I needed to. As for my lovely companion, she enjoyed the opportunity to try different kinds of drinks without too much impact. I don’t know a thing about mixed drinks, but the bartenders seemed to have a decent grasp of what to make when people wanted a slippery chicken, funky rabbit, or whatever they were.

OTHER GUESTS: During the week, we never saw anyone getting rowdy, loud, sick, stupid, or causing trouble. Just an observation, not a judgment call: Don’t expect your fellow guests to be the 40-something, executive-types that you see in the Sandals ads. They were in very short supply.

TIPPING: It is truly not necessary to tip at the Regency. I did discreetly give a few small gratuities, but only for service that I feel went above and beyond the norm. Only once was I told “thanks, but no thanks”, and that was done very professionally. I never felt that my service would have been better if they had been expecting a tip.

POOLS: The pools were uniformly chilly (cooler than the ocean, actually), and extremely clean and well kept. I think there was only once during the week that we had trouble finding an open chair. One problem was created by the guests, in leaving their towels on the chairs when they went elsewhere….causing doubt as to whether they were occupied or not. Assuming there were no other belongings in the vicinity, however, I felt it was fair to let 5 minutes or so pass before laying claim. We never had an issue. I was consistently surprised at how few people were actually in the water. The Main pool area was the most used, the upper pool area was second, and the middle (smallest) pool area was mostly unoccupied.

BEACH:

Condition – The beach at the Regency was kept extremely clean. The sand was the same color it is pretty much everywhere else in the world….sand colored. If you want white or pink sand, go somewhere else. As with the pools, I was amazed at how few people used the beach, or actually got into the water.
Size – While the beach appeared to be fairly narrow, it was never an issue because of the lack of people. Even at high tide, there was always approximately 20 feet of dry sand to use. The length of the beach takes probably 10 minutes to walk back and forth at a leisurely pace. It was small, but more than enough.
Water Hazard – The red flag (no swimming) goes up about 4:30pm every day, and comes down around 9:00am. During the week, all days were green (open) except for 2, which were yellow (caution).

ACTIVITIES: There seemed to be plenty of activities to take advantage of, which we didn’t. When asked if we wanted to participate, a simple ‘no thanks’ was always enough.

WATER SPORTS: There are several snorkeling and diving trips per day. The ‘certified diver checkout’ is a quick-but-effective process. You assemble your tank, BC, and regulator beside a small pool. If you miss a step or do something wrong, the divemaster will talk you thru it. He then throws the whole rig into the 5ft-deep pool. You have to go under without your mask, suit up, put your mask back on, and surface. If you’ve missed something, or take too long, he’ll make you repeat until you do it right. They do require your C-card, and you need to know which agencies you’re certified with. Leave your knife at home, cuz they’ll make you take it off. You then come back to take part in the afternoon dive, under the supervision of the divemaster. For all dives and snorkeling, you’re taken by bus to the collective Sandals Marina, maybe 20 minutes away. Divers and snorklers go on separate boats, though they sometimes end up at the same location. The diving is better than most of Florida, similar to Puerto Rico, and pretty good, in my opinion. There were more experienced and traveled divers who weren’t as satisfied with the colors / fish / vis / etc., but isn’t that always the case? When I asked if they’d rather be back at the office, no one said ‘yes’. Speaking of dive snobs….while I brought my own stuff, the Sandals loaner equipment all looked very serviceable. Aged and faded, yes, but doesn’t that mean it’s spent plenty of time outside the shop actually doing its job? In several dives where most people used the Sandals stuff, I never heard or saw anyone have trouble with anything. If you need the latest, prettiest, most expensive equipment to dive with, OR if you’re just more comfortable and competent using what you’re used to, bring your own. Otherwise, the loaner equipment is just fine. If not, they have plenty of extras with which to replace it.

EXCURSIONS: We only did the “shopping extravaganza”, which took us into the city of Castries. It was a cheap way to spend the morning, see the local economy, and get some gaudy souvenirs. They were less likely to bargain in the local market than I’ve seen in other places around the world. Don’t expect to get too much of a discount from the prices they quote. We could have done without the trip to the ‘duty-free’ mall, but I don’t blame them for trying to get as much of our money as they can. Overall, it was a positive experience. While the Eastern Caribbean dollar (EC) is the local currency, $US are accepted everywhere.

GIFT SHOP: A little larger and more well-stocked than expected. Except for the clothing, the prices weren’t out of line with what you’d expect. Indeed, most souvenirs were the same price that you’d find in the markets. There’s also an unofficial ‘beach shop’ near the water activities shop, where you can purchase things from local vendors. Again all the prices seem to be pretty standard.

SPA: Though I didn’t experience any of the treatments, my lovely companion has had many different massages from many different sources. She tends to prefer a deep, sports-type massage, as opposed to a feel-good fluff massage. We skeptically scheduled her first appointment, not expecting much. She had nothing but good things to say about it afterwards, and was very impressed at the quality and experience of the lady she saw. In fact, she quickly scheduled another treatment for the next day. If you’re particular, it would probably help to talk to them about what you’re wanting or expecting, so that they can schedule you with someone whose style fits what you’re looking for.

CHECKOUT: You’re asked to confirm your departure 24 hours from when you’ll be leaving the resort. We did so, and were told that we’d be getting a letter explaining the process. At 6:30 on the evening before we left, the letter arrived. It very clearly completely laid out the steps we would have to take, and the process that would take place. We felt a bit of anxiety when we still didn’t see our bags outside the lobby, some 15 minutes before we were to board the bus. They had apparently gotten the room number wrong. After a friendly reminder, they sent someone to gather our things. It actually worked to our advantage, as we ended up getting our own private car to shuttle us to the Hewannorra Airport, 1.5 hours away. Our driver, Mr. Denys Cherry (758-584-9316) was an absolute delight….telling us history and interesting facts about the island, and even stopping at scenic overlooks for us to take pictures. We found that he also hires out privately. If we ever go back to St. Lucia, I fully intend on arranging an afternoon for him to continue our brief education. Customs is actually quite thorough when you’re leaving the island. If you do any local shopping, you’ll notice that there are no large shells for sale. It’s illegal to take them off the island, and it’s the main thing they’re looking for when you leave. They WILL go through your bags, so pack accordingly.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Call Sandals to confirm before you arrive
- Bring your passport
- Make your dinner reservations ASAP
- If you’ll be bringing your own electrical appliances, bring an adapter
- Make sure you have extra batteries for your dive computer (oops!)
- Order all your drinks up front, be specific if you want specific brands
- As it takes days for anything to dry out, bring enough backup clothes
- If you get a pool towel, keep it until you’re ready for another one
- If you DO have a problem, bug them until they fix it.
- DON’T expect 5-star luxury or wonderful food
- Relax, go with the flow, take it for what it is, and have fun

SUMMARY: For what we paid, and what we were expecting, we had a wonderful vacation. There are many little things that I could have hoped would be better, but no single glaring shortcomings that had a negative impact on our vacation. I would happily and excitedly go back to the Sandals Regency in St. Lucia, without hesitation. Depending on who you are, I hope my review has helped convince you to either stay with the Regency, or look elsewhere for something that better meets your needs.

• Stayed February 2006
91 Thank travelducky2
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 14, 2006

I was very worried when I read the reviews on this resort shortly before we left. Let me tell you they must have stayed somewhere else! This was our 4th all-inclusive and by far the very best yet. We went to the Whitehouse in Jamaica last year and didn't think it could get any better than that - well surprise!

St. Lucia is such a beautiful lush island and the people really appreciate the tourism. They are also very proud of their country and it shows.

Our room was a beautiful suite with a plunge pool. We had only reserved an ocean view room so it was a nice surprise to get an upgrade at no charge. The bar was stocked with anything you could possibly want (even bottled water!). It was decorated beautifully and felt it very private on our deck by our private pool.

All of the restaurants were great! The French and Carribean were my favorites. The breakfast buffet was awesome and service was always very good. The ocean views from all of the restaurants were incredible no matter where you sat.

I could go on about this place forever. 5 nights was just not long enough. I just don't know how anyone could not like this resort.

• Stayed February 2006
25 Thank JackiePAtlanta
Manteca, CA
Reviewed February 13, 2006

The island of St. Lucia is similar to all of the other tropical islands...they are all warm, beautiful, and friendly. For those of us who come from middleclass America and Europe, the poverty will shock you. This is definately something that is not advertised, but very evident and somewhat unnerving. It made us feel guilty for spending so much on a vacation and sitting there in our perfect clothes, while they didn't even have windows or shoes. All of the islands are like this, and you will be hit up at every turn to buy some trinket for whatever price they can get out of you. However, as one local told me, don't let them fool you...they are happy and probably own more land than I do. To each his own I guess. I just wish all of the tourism brought in could pump up there economy a little more. I highly recommend that you visit a place that will educate you on island dos and don'ts. We stayed at the Sandals Regency and they were clear as to what we should do and shouldn't. They arrange safe and exciting adventures, but you can still be taken in the whole money department...so be sure that you get your taxi driver's fee in advance, as ours ended up $30 different from the quote arranged by Sandals. The resort itself is the most romantic, secluded one of the Sandals resorts on the island. The beach is more private than the others...which are more likely to be hit up by boats that crash the beach selling things by the locals. The others have security, the Regency didn't need it. I highly recommend the beachfront condos. We didn't even use the livingroom, but the view was to die for and we could run right outside and be on the beach. The sound of the waves put me to sleep each night. The staff was first class and always there to serve. The wedding coordinator, Zina, arranged our Renewal of Vows...and she is quite a hoot. She should be a comedian in her spare time, and she is a sweetheart. The entertainment was perfect for a romantic getaway...it wasn't a rock club for barhoppers thankfully. If you prefer the faster scene with more watersports and disco music, stay at the Grande...the Regency is classier and more personable. There are quiet little nooks everywhere to have a romantic moment, and the food was good. I personally did not like Armando's at all...shrimp was overcooked and very very bland. But my taste prefers the Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. We loved Kimono's and the Pitons. The rest of them were ok, don't expect steak and lobster except on rare occasions and if they do have it...well, it is not what you expect. So, expect to be fed well...drink to your heart's desire, and have impeccable service. We were there for the scenery, we didn't want to think about money, and we needed some romance. Sandal's Regency was a wonderful heavenly escape for us.

18 Thank beeboppin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Have been back from the Regency for about three weeks now, and finally have a minute to write about our experience. To those that have been reading reviews and are a little nervous about the negative ones, rest assured, you will have a great time!

Upon our arrival at the airport, we were told we had been upgraded to the "bluff" which included butler and room service. Also, our room was on the fourth floor of the building-looking directly west over the Carribean Sea. Amazing sunset views. The room was beautiful-stocked fridge, bar, comfortable sitting area, comfortable four-poster bed, a jacuzzi bath, and a large stand up shower. Although we had the butler service, we didn't use them alot-that is totally up to you. We did however take advantage of the room service-mostly for breakfast.

We spent most of our days on the decks of the sunset pool. Never had a problem with towels. Never had a problem with a bar tender.

Everyone who works at the resort was extremely friendly and willing to do anything to make our stay pleasant.

Food: We loved Armondo's. The Piton and Arizona was very good for dinner. Also, La Toc. Kimono's was good, but the conversation's with our table mates made the meal. If you do not have reservation's at Kimono or La Toc already made (the butler did it!), make them when you arrive. Seating is limited and at three different time periods.

Activities: Do as much as you want, or as little. We went snorkeling. Our first time-reef was okay, but a fun experience. Couples massage at the Spa. Awesome! The one thing I would highly recommend is the sunset evening cruise (a.k.a. the party cruise)-the rum punch is awesome-has a nice kick! It is only offered on Wed. and Fri. Sail out onto the Sea around 5pm. Party, meet new people, view the sunset.

Evening Entertainment: about the only negative. Most shuts down around 11pm. From 9-11 at the Pavilion there are bands or shows. After that things got pretty quiet.

Due to the rough water for the first part of the week, we went over to the Grande for a day. Beautiful resort. Water activities available. Small beach, but calm water. The sea subsided some later in the week, and water activities were available at the Regency.

Odds and Ends: Yes, the airport is an hour away from the resort. Yes, the road is a two lane the whole way. No, it is not like a roller coaster ride. Each of our drivers were very knowledgable about the island. Ask questions. It's like a free tour. you will go through the rainforest, banana plantations, and towns. The airport is small. When you are leaving, be prepared for long lines going into the departure area, and a cramped area by the gates. Don't forget, you will need CASH for the St. Lucia departure fee-$21/person.

Tipping: not required. We did tip our butler ST.Rose and our massage therapists. You could literally come without any money-any additional charges can be billed to your room.

Resort: Yes, there is construction. In fairness, we spent most of our time at the sunset pool. But, nobody we met had any complaints about noise. The pavillion is the biggest pool. Activities, etc. happen here. There is a smaller pool (Piton) midway up the hill to the bluff. It and the sunset pool are very quiet. Shuttles run from the main building to the bluff-but it is walkable.

Most of all-relax. The motto is "No Pressure, No Problem" Believe it. The Regency offered a wonderful trip. We missed it even before we left.

• Stayed January 2006
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oakville, Ontario Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My husband & I just returned from two weeks in St. Lucia (Jan. 16 to 30, 2006). We were told before we left that there was some construction at our hotel by a friend. We contacted our travel agency and she emailed Regency, St. Lucia and they assured her that we would get a nice room (we upgraded to a Grandlux Ocean view). When we arrived they took us up to the tower (7th floor), first the key did not work - finally got the room open and I was apalled at what dreary condition the room was in for the price we paid ($7500)-old & nosy air conditioner). I was very calm and told the staff member that I would not stay in this room - I would stay in the lobby.... I said to move us to the new section or move us to the Grand Hotel. At first he said he did not have another room until I told him that our travel agent had emailed the manager then there was a room available. It was in the renovated section (room 132) and was lovely. The location was perfect and thankfully this was the only draw back of our vacation. After this was looked after, our vacation went smoothly - staff great, food great and the construction did not cause any problems - they are doing it very discreetly and it is going to be beautiful when completed. However, I think all your guests should be told that your hotel is undergoing renovation because you had many unhappy customers. We heard a lot of complaints. This was our second Sandals - 1st in Cuba and the one in Cuba is much better than the Regency. The only "glitch" we had in Cuba was we almost missed our plane because Sandals put us & 5 other couples on the wrong bus to go back to the airport. We had paid extra for the lounge and used it for 5 minutes.

• Stayed January 2006
18 Thank BearMooseMurphy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!