“Pure Paradise! Loved it!”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pure Paradise! Loved it!”
Reviewed February 14, 2006

I was very worried when I read the reviews on this resort shortly before we left. Let me tell you they must have stayed somewhere else! This was our 4th all-inclusive and by far the very best yet. We went to the Whitehouse in Jamaica last year and didn't think it could get any better than that - well surprise!

St. Lucia is such a beautiful lush island and the people really appreciate the tourism. They are also very proud of their country and it shows.

Our room was a beautiful suite with a plunge pool. We had only reserved an ocean view room so it was a nice surprise to get an upgrade at no charge. The bar was stocked with anything you could possibly want (even bottled water!). It was decorated beautifully and felt it very private on our deck by our private pool.

All of the restaurants were great! The French and Carribean were my favorites. The breakfast buffet was awesome and service was always very good. The ocean views from all of the restaurants were incredible no matter where you sat.

I could go on about this place forever. 5 nights was just not long enough. I just don't know how anyone could not like this resort.

• Stayed February 2006
25 Thank JackiePAtlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,753)
Manteca, CA
Reviewed February 13, 2006

The island of St. Lucia is similar to all of the other tropical islands...they are all warm, beautiful, and friendly. For those of us who come from middleclass America and Europe, the poverty will shock you. This is definately something that is not advertised, but very evident and somewhat unnerving. It made us feel guilty for spending so much on a vacation and sitting there in our perfect clothes, while they didn't even have windows or shoes. All of the islands are like this, and you will be hit up at every turn to buy some trinket for whatever price they can get out of you. However, as one local told me, don't let them fool you...they are happy and probably own more land than I do. To each his own I guess. I just wish all of the tourism brought in could pump up there economy a little more. I highly recommend that you visit a place that will educate you on island dos and don'ts. We stayed at the Sandals Regency and they were clear as to what we should do and shouldn't. They arrange safe and exciting adventures, but you can still be taken in the whole money department...so be sure that you get your taxi driver's fee in advance, as ours ended up $30 different from the quote arranged by Sandals. The resort itself is the most romantic, secluded one of the Sandals resorts on the island. The beach is more private than the others...which are more likely to be hit up by boats that crash the beach selling things by the locals. The others have security, the Regency didn't need it. I highly recommend the beachfront condos. We didn't even use the livingroom, but the view was to die for and we could run right outside and be on the beach. The sound of the waves put me to sleep each night. The staff was first class and always there to serve. The wedding coordinator, Zina, arranged our Renewal of Vows...and she is quite a hoot. She should be a comedian in her spare time, and she is a sweetheart. The entertainment was perfect for a romantic getaway...it wasn't a rock club for barhoppers thankfully. If you prefer the faster scene with more watersports and disco music, stay at the Grande...the Regency is classier and more personable. There are quiet little nooks everywhere to have a romantic moment, and the food was good. I personally did not like Armando's at all...shrimp was overcooked and very very bland. But my taste prefers the Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. We loved Kimono's and the Pitons. The rest of them were ok, don't expect steak and lobster except on rare occasions and if they do have it...well, it is not what you expect. So, expect to be fed well...drink to your heart's desire, and have impeccable service. We were there for the scenery, we didn't want to think about money, and we needed some romance. Sandal's Regency was a wonderful heavenly escape for us.

18 Thank beeboppin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Have been back from the Regency for about three weeks now, and finally have a minute to write about our experience. To those that have been reading reviews and are a little nervous about the negative ones, rest assured, you will have a great time!

Upon our arrival at the airport, we were told we had been upgraded to the "bluff" which included butler and room service. Also, our room was on the fourth floor of the building-looking directly west over the Carribean Sea. Amazing sunset views. The room was beautiful-stocked fridge, bar, comfortable sitting area, comfortable four-poster bed, a jacuzzi bath, and a large stand up shower. Although we had the butler service, we didn't use them alot-that is totally up to you. We did however take advantage of the room service-mostly for breakfast.

We spent most of our days on the decks of the sunset pool. Never had a problem with towels. Never had a problem with a bar tender.

Everyone who works at the resort was extremely friendly and willing to do anything to make our stay pleasant.

Food: We loved Armondo's. The Piton and Arizona was very good for dinner. Also, La Toc. Kimono's was good, but the conversation's with our table mates made the meal. If you do not have reservation's at Kimono or La Toc already made (the butler did it!), make them when you arrive. Seating is limited and at three different time periods.

Activities: Do as much as you want, or as little. We went snorkeling. Our first time-reef was okay, but a fun experience. Couples massage at the Spa. Awesome! The one thing I would highly recommend is the sunset evening cruise (a.k.a. the party cruise)-the rum punch is awesome-has a nice kick! It is only offered on Wed. and Fri. Sail out onto the Sea around 5pm. Party, meet new people, view the sunset.

Evening Entertainment: about the only negative. Most shuts down around 11pm. From 9-11 at the Pavilion there are bands or shows. After that things got pretty quiet.

Due to the rough water for the first part of the week, we went over to the Grande for a day. Beautiful resort. Water activities available. Small beach, but calm water. The sea subsided some later in the week, and water activities were available at the Regency.

Odds and Ends: Yes, the airport is an hour away from the resort. Yes, the road is a two lane the whole way. No, it is not like a roller coaster ride. Each of our drivers were very knowledgable about the island. Ask questions. It's like a free tour. you will go through the rainforest, banana plantations, and towns. The airport is small. When you are leaving, be prepared for long lines going into the departure area, and a cramped area by the gates. Don't forget, you will need CASH for the St. Lucia departure fee-$21/person.

Tipping: not required. We did tip our butler ST.Rose and our massage therapists. You could literally come without any money-any additional charges can be billed to your room.

Resort: Yes, there is construction. In fairness, we spent most of our time at the sunset pool. But, nobody we met had any complaints about noise. The pavillion is the biggest pool. Activities, etc. happen here. There is a smaller pool (Piton) midway up the hill to the bluff. It and the sunset pool are very quiet. Shuttles run from the main building to the bluff-but it is walkable.

Most of all-relax. The motto is "No Pressure, No Problem" Believe it. The Regency offered a wonderful trip. We missed it even before we left.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oakville, Ontario Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My husband & I just returned from two weeks in St. Lucia (Jan. 16 to 30, 2006). We were told before we left that there was some construction at our hotel by a friend. We contacted our travel agency and she emailed Regency, St. Lucia and they assured her that we would get a nice room (we upgraded to a Grandlux Ocean view). When we arrived they took us up to the tower (7th floor), first the key did not work - finally got the room open and I was apalled at what dreary condition the room was in for the price we paid ($7500)-old & nosy air conditioner). I was very calm and told the staff member that I would not stay in this room - I would stay in the lobby.... I said to move us to the new section or move us to the Grand Hotel. At first he said he did not have another room until I told him that our travel agent had emailed the manager then there was a room available. It was in the renovated section (room 132) and was lovely. The location was perfect and thankfully this was the only draw back of our vacation. After this was looked after, our vacation went smoothly - staff great, food great and the construction did not cause any problems - they are doing it very discreetly and it is going to be beautiful when completed. However, I think all your guests should be told that your hotel is undergoing renovation because you had many unhappy customers. We heard a lot of complaints. This was our second Sandals - 1st in Cuba and the one in Cuba is much better than the Regency. The only "glitch" we had in Cuba was we almost missed our plane because Sandals put us & 5 other couples on the wrong bus to go back to the airport. We had paid extra for the lounge and used it for 5 minutes.

18 Thank BearMooseMurphy
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My rating is due to the value received, for the price paid to stay at a Sandals. This hotel is nice, the food was good but nothing was fantastic (La Toc being the best food). I have stayed at other all-inclusives and gone on cruises, and been happier with my other experiences. If I had paid $1500 less, it would have been a good deal. If you are going to scuba dive every day, that would make the price acceptable.

They are renovating, so the rooms are getting much better. The pool areas were very nice. The service was good, but I think it would have been better if we had been allowed to tip.

If you are going to spend the money to stay at a Sandals on St. Lucia, I was more impressed with the Grand, although I did not see the rooms.

I love St. Lucia, it is a beautiful island and wish I had spent 10 days and not just a week. There were several other things it would have been nice to do.

19 Thank Sunworshipingwoman
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2006

Let me start by saying that I don't know what people’s problems are. Don't be cheap. You get what you pay for. And don't expect that if you pay for the cheapest room on the resort that you will get an immaculate room and vacation. My husband and I read these reviews and were nervous about what this honeymoon was going to be like. Our only problem the whole trip was with the airline we flew. We go to St. Lucia, finally got to the resort and were so excited. It is very crazy at the airport and when you first get to the resort. Stop someone at the resort and ask if you are confused. They are such nice people there. We got to our room and we were thrilled. We stayed in the Honeymoon suites with our private plunge pool. The room was wonderful. The plunge pool was ok. I wouldn't pay for a room with its own plunge pool because the bluff pool itself was WONDERFUL! We were there all the time. The beach was so great! The food was really tasty! We loved Kimonos (Rodney ROCKED!) and La Toc. We both really want to go back!!! We also had Aaron as our butler. He was really wonderful. It was great to come back to the room and have music and candles and even flower petals on the bed. So romantic and my husband had to do nothing. They had the reservations for the restaurants already made when we got to the resort. I can't say enough about the trip we had. I was never more relaxed in my life! We paid for a couples massage. Well worth the money! We even paid to go to Martinique for a day trip. I highly recommend it. It is such a beautiful island. You will see the brochure for it in your room. We just had it put on our room tab, because it isn't all that cheap, but it was really a beautiful trip. From being on a catamaran boat, to getting a tour and the shopping, and a BBQ on the boat, and snorkeling (we couldn't snorkel because for the first time for the captain in years it poured) Still with the rain and all I have very fond memories and would pay the amount to do it again. A couple things to keep in mind: You can tip the butlers. But you have 2 of them and they split the amount. So tip plentifully if you are happy. They won't ask for it but really appreciate all that you give! Also, there is an exit fee you need to pay when leaving St. Lucia. Ask the airline how much it will be. I think we paid $21 per person. Please remember to not be cheap when picking a room. We are planning to go to another Sandals resort for our anniversary and are keeping in mind to pay more than the cheapest room. Don't listen to the negative reviews. Just go, relax, and enjoy. Remember there are "no problems" while you are there.

• Stayed October 2005
36 Thank orig-pumpkin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2006

My wife and I decided to try somewhere new and visit St. Lucia. We have travelled to Mexico, Dominican etc...we know that hotels and food will not be the same in the Caribbean as it is back home....HOWEVER...this was beyond a dissapointment. This hotel is just getting by on their Sandals name alone. They should stop spending so much money advertising that Sandals is a 5 star on TV and start spending money doing MAJOR renovations on ALL of the rooms and redo their menu- FAST!.

For a tropical destination, the fruit was limited and very bitter. The breakfasts were the same everyday, with little selection and very greasy! Lunches were repetitive. My wife and I were so suprised to see what little selection there was on the buffet. I could not comprehend how we just spent $6000 on this place and had crappy food, YET when we go to Punta Cana and only pay $1200 for a 5 star we eat like kings and queens, with an endless assortment of foods??? It puzzled us both, and infuriated us both.
The A La Carte restaurants are a joke, the food is average at best, nothing we got excited about...and very limited seafood and fish? How strange for a tropical island. And please don't bother visiting the Halcyon Sandals...its garbage...I don't know how to rate it - as I would give it a zero...its just awful looking.

The accomodations: We stayed in the ocean bluff rooms with butlet service. The butler service was nice and I think worth the money. The rooms...were run down in many ways. The lights flicker and wont turn on for the first 10 minutes, the rooms were always cold and smelled...and not a nice beach smell...it was more like mold. The carpets and couches had stains on then, and were dirty. They can at least be steamed once in a while? No? The beds were not comfortable at all.

The island is beautiful and the rainforest tour was great. The beaches at Sandals were a huge let down. They are small, and the tides are high almost everyday and you are unable to swim. The wether is not great...it rained 4 days out of 7. I mean it rained all day and didn't stop. WHen I aske dthe locals, they said it was normal- as it is a very mountainous and rainforest filled island. If you want 7 days of straight sun, don't go here.

All together, we were very dissapointed. I don't recommend that anyone stays here until they tear down the whole resort and begin with a fresh start. It is not worth the money, the long flying time, nor was it worth the energy we spent trying to figure out what to eat - as everything was barely acceptable.

I feel as thought I did not stay at the same resort as the other couples that posted their reviews - or maybe I just wasn't drunk enough! Maybe if I had of drank some of that cheap liquor, I would have been writing a more positive review.

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!