“People who rate this so low Must have been at a different resort!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Cleveland, OH
“People who rate this so low Must have been at a different resort!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

My now husband and I went to the Sandals Regency St. Lucia for both our wedding and honeymoon ("Weddingmoon" as Sandals calls it) 9-4-05 thru 9-11-05. I found this site about 2 weeks before we were scheduled to depart for our trip, and was horrified to see all the bad reviews. I was in tears with my mom and my significant other because of all the horrible things people had to say about the resort on this site . . . It was too late to change any of our arrangements, and my husband and I decided well . . . we're just going to go with the attitude to have a good time no matter what . . . but I was so afraid of bad rooms, rude staff, horrible food, etc.

Honestly, our trip was PERFECT. I really felt compeled to write a review just in case there are any other couples out there worried about the Regency after looking at this website. When we arrived at the resort, the staff taged our luggage with our room number and immediately wisked us off to the concierge office, where we were offered snacks, champagne, & cold towels. We were there barely 5-10 minutes in that office before a member of the butler staff took us to our room, gave us an overview of the resort (where everything was, how to order room service, etc.) & made sure everything in our room was to our liking. A maintenance person even came in at that time because even though the air conditioning was working quite fine in my opinion, he said it was making a little noise he didn't like, and he didn't want it disturbing us. We stayed in the 1 bedroom Honeymoon Villa Suite with its own pool. It was a beautiful room, very clean, well maintained with 2 air conditioning units, marble bath, and a patio with our own plunge pool that overlooked the ocean.

Our bar in our room was always stocked, someone came at least once a day to make sure we didn't need anything. We also had a butler team to assist us--Aaron and Sharon. If you stay there in a butler catagory room, you'd be fortunate to have them, they are the best!!! If we didn't run into them or call them for something by 12 noon they would call us just to make sure we were having a good time and had everything we needed. If we needed a trip booked, or extra towels, or more bottled water, champagne, juice, whatever--it was all taken care of. Room service was great, always delicious and prompt--never had to wait more than a half hour for service. And they would call afterwards to make sure that everything was ok. Housekeeping was very pleasent as well.

The wedding office was wonderful too--all arrangements were done on time, and as promised. They really make it effortless to get married down there. My husband had his immigration card kept at the airport when we arrived because we brought in a portable dvd player . . .well, he needed that to get married! No problem! The staff took care of it with the airport, and we didn't have to worry about it a bit. The pictures and the video recording of the wedding were really above our expectiations--they were very professionally done. The gals from the spa that did my nails and hair were great too. I was worried about having my hair done by a stylist I had no prior expierince with, but they arrange for you to meet with the person doing your wedding hair the day before, so she can get an idea of what she'll be working with and what you want done. She ended up doing exactly what I wanted and it looked great. Our wedding dinner was at Armandos--usually they have a private dinner for the two of you, but we had family come and join us so we had it there. They had printed up personalized menus for us with our names and the food was really great. I was so stuffed at the end, they brought out course after course of delicious food! Just another example of how the resort tries to accommodate you--our parents decided at lunch time on our wedding day that they wanted to suprise us with a steel drum band . . . our wedding was at 4:30 and in few couple of hours they were able to pull through for them and find a group willing to come play. My husband and I both agree that our wedding couldn't have been better!!!

We thought the food was great, in general! One small snag that we woud agree with is that they do close one restaurant down a night at the resort (which makes sense, the staff are people and do deserve 1 night off a week). However, that fact maybe isn't as publicised as much as it could be at the resort. Many people on this site complain about the Pavilion Restaurant--their main open air restuarant. Yes, there are birds that try to see what they can get as far as crumbs . . . but they don't bother where the actual buffet line is, they are more concerned with the wait staff's clearing stations. We never had one actually bother us while we were eating, and we ate there every morning. The view of the pool and the ocean was really spectacular, and the food for all meals was really yummy!!! We never had a problem with bugs at all at the restaurant or in our room. For the most part the wait staff was quite pleasant. Once or twice we had someone wait on us that seemed disinterested, but that was not the norm and was more than made up for with good service from other staff.

I could go on and on about all the positive things I think the resort has to offer. I think what it really boils down to is this: your experience at the resort comes down to the type of room you book vs. what you're expecting and the attitude you have coming into the trip. Do your research!!!! The basic room is a basic room--no ocean view, no in room bar, no room service--but that's made pretty plain on the Sandal's website when you look at their room options. So I don't understand why people get upset when they get there and don't have all these things. We read up on all the rooms they had to offer and also booked through a travel agent, who helped us decide, and we went for the room with the pool, the ocean view, a in-room bar, room service, etc. So we made sure we booked the type of room we wanted. And we were not at all disappointed!!! I also don't understand the comments that the resort is in disrepair or falling appart . . . it looked fine to me!!! There is one section that they are rebuilding, but they hide it well and wasn't really all that noticable. The grounds were well kept, clean, littered with tons of beautiful tropical flowers. But we both really had a fantastic time and we felt that the staff was quite friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were enjoying yourself. I'm really glad that I didn't let the negative comments on this site disuade me from going to the Regency, it was honestly a perfect wedding and honeymoon!

• Stayed September 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
42 Thank tripster000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,724)
TORONTO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

We have stayed at Sandals Regency several times and always loved it.
BUT, right now it is undergoing major renovations that have to be done sometimes. The main building is being demolished and rebuilt. The jackhammers over rule the lapping of the Caribbean waves. We were also informed that the main pool area will be re tiled in the near future.
If you go in what is left of 2005 stay up on the concierge bluff suite area with a lovley picturesque pool area or stay at the Grande. Once these renos are finished come back to the Regency.
The bus ride is so scenic it is like driving through Jurassic Park.
30 foot bamboo and fern leaves the size of my bathroom.
The staff are nice if you are nice to them, the food is good and the golf course and spa are top of the line. It is just that if you are grumpy and unhappy the food will not taste as good as when you are happy.
The 'vermin' that are flying around are Caribbean birds that try to steal your pizza crust when you leave the table.
Maybe when people pay more than they can afford they get too uptight regarding their expectations.
Relax and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank LUV2GOLF
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

This place was top notch. We really enjoyed ourselves. I found the staff to be very accomidating and the resort to be incredibly enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
N.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2005

First of all my wife and I love Sandals in the Bahamas. We went there after I returned from Afghanistan in 2004. So we thought Regency looked great. NOT! First of all I ordered an ocean front room. Once we arrived after a ride from HELL. (NOTE: Fly in at the northern airport, just 5-15 min to any sandals resort or fly helicopter from the lower airport 15 min flight. Otherwise it's an hour + ride up and down, you’ll be car sick once you arrive.) We had reservations for an ocean front room. We were upgraded to a room overlooking the golf course. What a joke! I paid to see the ocean. Now the room was remodeled and the one reserved sucked. The food bar always had flies and bugs on it. The food sucked. The wait staff acted like it killed them to wait on you. No one asked them to be a slave. But hey, your job is to wait and make each couple feel special. Hmm, that's called service and when you pay $5600 for the vacation you expect some kind of special service. I even talked to the property manager and he was rude and did not give a damn as to any problems. Rooms service was like never. Our refrig was never stocked. Room was hardly cleaned each day. They are remodeling the resort, so in a few years it may be a good place to visit. Not from me!

Now on to the best part of our vacation. We transferred to the GRANDE. Just 20min north of the Regency. What a difference. It was like night and day. The office staff was friendly, food was fantastic, wait staff was always friendly, the views and sport activities were excellent. The beach was 5 times the size of Regency. Castres is just 5 min from the resort. The rooms were always clean, rooms service was quick, pool area was fanatic, etc... Nothing negative at all.

SO IF YOU STAY SANDALS ALWAYS ASK WHICH RESORT IS THE NEWEST. STAY AT THE GRANDE IN ST. LUCIA IF YOU WANT A GREAT TIME.

If you wish more info or photos please email me hewettent@alltel.net

• Stayed July 2005
25 Thank hewettent
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

This is the worst place on earth, vermin fly around the resturant and steal your food. food is disgusting, not as advertised. birds leave excrement on tables. air conditioning had safety guards missing. we were burgled by the maid. diving is not on site as advertised. air port within one mile of resort, not as virgin brochure shows. if anyone wants video evidence of this please email me. this resort should be closed down.

• Stayed August 2004
20 Thank peter2005
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

Well I'm not going to try to dump to much on Sandals Golf Resort & Spa, but its kind of hard not to. We checked in for our honeymoon and were immediately disappointed. The room was so small we couldn't find a place for our suitcase. It was old and smelt really musky! We couldn't get any reservations for the restaurants because they were all booked. We tried right when we got there but to bad! We were very upset with the cleanliness of the resort from the beginning. I felt they "spiffed up" the pictures because the water and the resort really weren't that pretty. The first morning at the breakfast buffet there were birds eating from it. Immediatly we asked to be moved from that resort to the Grande. We didn't even bother checking that out (It couldn't of gotten any worse) I have to say that the Grande was MUCH better, but we did have a sour taste in our mouth for a couple of days that followed. There was broken glass on the floor in the bathroom which I stepped on right when we checked in. The food was very average and the resort management did not empathize with our concerns. Even after I had to get my own bags from the cab and burned my leg on the muffler sticking out. I will say a few nice things regarding the Grande. The spa area was very nice and comfy to use even if you didn't get treatments that day (i.e. the jacuzzi and steam rooms) There is Pigeon mountain at the end of the peninsula which was fun to climb. We met 3 other honeymooner couples that we got to hang out with. I really think if you are going to spend anywhere from $3500 or up you can find a much nicer resort than Sandals Golf Resort & Spa. We wrote a 2 page complaint letter to Sandals and they didn't much care that we were disappointed. I am not that picky and travel ALOT!

• Stayed June 2003
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank vivedetravel
Phoenix, az.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

We just returned form St. Lucia a week ago, and I am having withdrawl! The resort is wonderful. We did get married on August 5th, but this is not just homeymoon talk, it is a great place for a wedding or romantic vacation.
If you are planning a wedding, go here, you'll have no planning to do. All you have to do is pick a location and flowers and you are finished, they do everything with style. The photographer is wonderful, the video turned out great, and most of all they make you feel like you the only one getting married.
As far as the romantic side, I am not sure where to begin. They offer everything from a oceanside massage for two, to a private dinner on the sand at sunset. If you can get one of the top 3 catagory rooms, you will have a private butler who will even draw you a hot bath with rose petals. I would tell more, but you must save something for a surprise when you arrive.
I have saved the best for last....IT'S ALL-INCLUSIVE! All the beverages, even your in room stocked bar. Dining at all the restaurants, I would have to say Armandos is the best, but they are all wonderful. It is so nice to get up and have no bill, and no tipping allowed. Golf and water sports are also included. There are 13 room categories, if you can swing it, I would go for the ocean bluff with a plunge pool, well worth the money, but any of the top 3 come with a butler, who makes reservations, and takes care of all your needs. You also have the use of any other Sandals in the area, which makes for many dinner and entertainment choices.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for an adult only, very upscale, all-inclusive, romanitc vacation.

15 Thank susieqaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!