“Fantastic!!!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
South Africa
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Spent 4 nights here over Easter and would go back again tomorrow. Had room overlooking the lively pool and never found it a problem. We were a little worried on the first night due to the music from the disco, but it did not go on too long and never happened again. Found the room clean, comfortable and had everything we needed. The service was excellent as was the food, atmosphere, etc. Everything exceeded our expectations and we cannot wait to go back to a sandals resort. What a great holiday!

6 Thank vickam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,804)
California, Maryland
Reviewed April 17, 2005

We were very trepidatious after reading the mixed reviews. We just got back last night from our week-long honeymoon at the Regency. Although the vacation was adequate, we would not consider staying at another Sandals resort. I'll try to remember everything:

Food -- Edible/passable is the description I heard from most other guests. There is lots and lots of food to eat and we were surprised when we actually got something really tasty. We're not food snobs -- we like McDonald's and then we like really fine restaurants. Some of the diners who ate with us at Kimono were from the Grande and the Halcyon and said our restaurants were better than both, which is a sad situation. We ate at Armando's, La Toc and Kimono and they were decent. If we went to any of those restaurants here in the States, we wouldn't go back. If you really like filet mignon, avoid any beef selections. The Pavilion was generally decent for breakfast and lunch. There were birds and some flies at Pavilion and Arizona's, but they didn't bother us at all -- I mean, it's outdoors. We ate at TGIFridays in the airport between flights last night and it was better than any meal we had at Sandals.

Room -- We booked a concierge-level honeymoon oceanview room -- the aqua blue ones in the picture attached. I've also attached our "ocean" view pictures, which are mostly buildings and trees. The room looked in no way like the picture on the Web site or in the brochures. The bathroom seemed newly renovated but the rest of the room was a little shabbier, although it was always really cooled off on the sitting room level. The bedroom level had its own A/C unit but stayed hot the whole time. For the ladies: the bathroom and bedroom are very poorly lit and it's hard to do makeup. The blowdryer in the room works but you have to press a button down the entire time you're using it, so I'd bring one with you if that's important to you. We had the in-room fridge and bar so that was nice when we went to the pool or on our tours and trips because we could take bottled drinks with us for the ride. Otherwise, it was kind of a waste. I mistakenly thought room service came with the concierge-level suites but it doesn't. I like to be lazy on vacation sometimes. We could hear every time our neighbors flushed their toilet.

Activities -- We went on the Soufriere Adventure Cruise, which is the same as the Land and Sea Tour, but you go to the volcano on a huge catamaran boat instead of by bus. Everyone we talked to who took the bus wished they'd done the cruise instead, because the groups then met up at the volcano (horrifically smelly, like being inside a litterbox) and then ate a pretty bad lunch at a local restaurant that had great views and architecture (see pictures). After the volcano we went to the botanical gardens, which were lovely, and after the lunch we went to a bay for snorkeling. Great trip except for the volcano. We also floated in the Regency main pool, went out on the hobie-cat catamaran, did the floating trike thing and took the free snorkeling trip. That was great -- try to get the earliest booking because there were only about 8 people on ours and the boat captain stopped on the way to the bay because we saw 3 huge pilot whales and we got to look and take pictures. I'd try that first before you book the whale/dolphin watching tour. We went to the staff talent show and played Name That Tune, both of which were enjoyable.

Grounds -- There is construction going on at the Regency which you might not know about. We had a couples massage the last day (very nice, but very expensive and I swear they used vegetable oil as their massage oil -- I can still smell it) and I met a woman who got a free massage because construction was right outside her room. The landscaping and trees and all were very pretty, but there is a lot of walking and a LOT of steps involved. Castries, St. Lucia, Soufriere and Sandals were all beautiful and there were lots of photo opportunities.

Service -- As a rule, the staff were all very pleasant, helpful and efficient. Nobody was ever rude and they always seemed willing to help.

Other stuff -- We missed the shopping tour to the Castries market, but we took a taxi (just ask at the front desk) for $10 to the market and the La Place Carenage duty-free shopping center. We asked our cab driver to come back and he picked us up right on time. The vendors are slightly pushy but just smile and say "no, thank you" and they'll back off. I've seen it so much worse in Mexico and the Bahamas so I was impressed. We only tipped for the massage and for the taxis and luggage handlers at the airport. We brought 2 cans of bug spray and didn't use them once. Sunglasses, bathing suit cover-ups, comfortable clothes and sunscreen were what we wore all week. The new Coppertone 30 SPF continuous spray sunscreen rocks, but we used almost 2 full bottles of it on my husband alone, so bring extra.

One more thing -- My husband doesn't drink and I drank some wine a few nights, but we were thinking maybe the food tastes better if you've been drinking? I sure hope so! We chose the Regency because it sounded like a fun vacation where people go to have fun and meet other people and relax -- I guess like a spring break atmosphere with adults and no kids. It just didn't really feel that way.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. I have a feeling most all-inclusives are similar.

• Stayed April 2005
15 Thank Sarafruitbat
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2005

We stayed at the Sandals Regency for our honeymoon in March, 2005. My husband had previously stayed at a Sandals resort but this was my first time. Overall the experience was a positive one.
The staff and St. Lucian people in general are extremely cordial and accomodating. They truly enjoy what they do and make tourists feel welcome. You always get a good morning/afternoon/evening/night from every staff member that you meet.
We had some difficulties with our initial room. We were in the wrong class of room. We were to have an oceanview with large balcony. We had oceanview if you looked around the balcony. Our tiny balcony had a large, noisy air conditioner that generated too much heat to allow for lounging. Also, our room overlooked the recycling center. They recycle from 8 am to 10 pm. We spoke to an assistant manager, Martina, of the resort on our second day and were moved that day to another room in a different building on the resort. This resort was bought from another hotel chain and I'm not sure that the class of the rooms accurately reflect Sandals image or standard of class. They are small, tired and in much need of updated air conditioning. That said, they have just started the process of renovating the hotel rooms on one side of the resort and I would presume will continue across the complex.
One note of caution to anyone considering this resort. It is built on a hillside overlooking the ocean. There is much walking and many steps involved in staying here. From the Arizona beach bar to our room was 103 stairs uphill. Not for anyone with a weak heart, bad knees. etc..
The food was good, not great, but good. The service is impeccable and quality is good. Their house wines were of solid quality from Argentina. My husband and I enjoy fine dining and believe that we have to accept that fine dining does not exist at all-inclusive resorts.
We spent Easter Sunday morning at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in downtown Castries. It was a long mass but the children's choir and band made for a rocking good time on bright sunny Easter Sunday. It's a beautiful place. Check it out!

3 Thank sandybeach12
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

Resort looking very tired, rooms also needing refurbishing.tatty towels in the room and for the beach.
The queue system for the restaurants is awfull 30 + trying to get in at one time and generally a lack of management. Food is good though.
Watch out for the football boys taking over the beach on sundays, they told my wife and I to get off it. Some of the staff have a lot off attitude.
This holiday is expensive and generally not worth it , if you want 5 star dont go there.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed April 4, 2005

We arrived at Sandals Regency on November 15, 2004 for our wedding on November 19, 2004. Since it is a couples-only resort, we only had 3 other couples come to St Lucia for our wedding, as well as a single relative who stayed at another hotel. We had to pay a guest fee for him to come on the Sandals property for two days, which included everything on the resorts.
The staff was great and very friendly. When we first arrived, we stayed at a premium room in the main hotel for the first three days prior to the wedding. We upgraded to the two-story villa suite with a private pool for the six honeymoon days. Because of our plan, we actually were able to experience two different types of rooms at the Sandals Regency. The premium room was small, but our room overlooked the golf course, which was nice because it was very quiet. We had noticed that the pool area was always pretty loud, so we appreciated the room location. The one thing we didn’t like about the premium room was there wasn’t a refrigerator in it. There was a location in the room that looked like it had a refrigerator in it at one time, and I am not sure why they wouldn’t include one, but those rooms did not have them. We had a great time with our friends there, having them share a vacation and our special day. The good thing about the three St. Lucia Sandals resorts is that you can go to the different resorts to play or eat. The Regency has six different restaurants, which was nice to have those various food options instead of the same one or two restaurants that many resorts have. We really enjoyed all of them.
Because of the local marriage requirements, we arrived three days prior to our wedding. We didn’t have to do a thing except show up to get married. They took care of everything, to include making reservations for my hair and nails, cake, flowers, band, pictures, and video. A one-hour meeting with them arranged the whole thing. They were great and customer service was fantastic. They really made us feel welcomed and we felt they wanted to make our wedding day a special one. They even helped us arrange our rehearsal and wedding dinners with our guests. Our wedding was beautiful; although it rained just a little after the ceremony (It was nice to have rainbows in our wedding pictures).
On the wedding day, we moved up to the two story villa suite in the bluffs. They took care of everything for us. They knew we were pre-occupied with the wedding that day and made the move transparent to us. The villa suite was like a whole different resort. It was much quieter compared to the main hotel. The two story villa had a Jacuzzi upstairs in the bedroom area, along with a nice vanity area. The king size bed overlooked our private plunge pool, which was beautiful for sunsets. Downstairs was a living room with a full bar and TV. Outside had a table where we enjoyed our breakfast every morning. The suite also had 24-hour room service. They also kept our refrigerator stocked with whatever we wanted (the wine was great!).
The resort also has a lot of activities for day and night. My husband made it to all three resorts, but I only made it to the Halcyon for dinner at the Pier and Bayside Restaraunts. I would highly recommend this place for a honeymoon; I would also recommend staying in the bluffs because it is very romantic. During our stay we went shopping, diving, and took a day trip down to the pitons. All arranged by the Regency tour office by the lobby. They were very helpful. We had a great time on each trip. Overall we had a great time. During our whole stay, the staff, both at the main hotel and up at the bluff, treated us fantastic, and always with a smile. They were great and enhanced our stay there. We would recommend staying in a suite up in the bluffs if you are on your honeymoon, it is very romantic.

• Stayed November 2004
15 Thank ScubaCF
Rocky Mount, NC
Reviewed March 31, 2005

AGAIN, like so many, I was terriefied to go the Regency based on the reviews. We were VERY pleasantly surprised. NOW, with that said, if you are expecting the breathtaking photo's sandals has on their website you may be dissapointed. The Regency is a bit older, but not like the Halcyon, and not rowdy like the Grande.

We stayed from March 24-29. Upon arrival we had been upgraded to a Luxery Oceanview room. The room is not HUGE but it is definitly not small. We had a sitting area and our balcony was very nice. It had a table and chairs and two lounge chairs that we did use to sun our backsides (the chairs at the beach/pool are not condusive to lying flat).

The property is beautiful and contrary to others reviews we found the beach to be pretty calm. We frequent the NC & SC beaches and they are WAY rougher. The crystal clear water is truly unbelievable. There were always chairs available and no shortage of towels. We had Green flag days everyday we were there.

The food was not awesome but it was not bad either. It was all prepared with very nice sauces and was very flavorful. We found the steak selections to be a bit tough but we figured they must bring in frozen. We never had trouble finding something to eat or drink. I would suggest that based on the fact that your drinks come in TINY glasses that you bring your own cup. They are more than happy to fill your cup and you can make less trips to the bar. We ate at all of the restaurants and they were all equally good.

The main pool was very busy and more rowdy. The bluff pool was quieter but still quite a few people. We chose the pool by the piano bar and there were never more than two couples there. It was very nice and you can watch the ocean from the pool and have your own bathroom.

The staff was amazing and we loved our Versila.........she met us in town and gave us the castries shopping tour. We were able to go the local stores and not all the tourist crap. She also gave us a solid education in how they live, cost of living, etc. It was very interesting.

We did not have any trouble staying entertained. There were activities planned every night and the local flavor music is quite nice.

We did go to the other properties to look around. Halcyon seemed quite run down but I didn't see much of it. The Grande is definity newer but the beach had ropes up where you could swim and there were boats docked all over in the cove. From the photos (online) it looks like there is beach on both sides but that is not really the case. One side is sandals beach and the other beach is across the road you drive in on. It seemed to be the side the locals used and was packed with cars. The main pool was VERY busy and not to our liking. The Regency although older was more relaxing.

I know this is a bit long but I would like to add a few things that I did not know going in and would have liked to known as well as a few tips...

1. I tan easily and RARELY burn....THE SUN IS HOT IN ST LUCIA. I have never needed anything more than a SPF 4 and I brought SPF8 . I had to buy SPF15 and most people were sticking with with the SPF40.
2. Bring your own cup unless you want to be walking back and forth to the bar.
3. They say "no tipping" but they do accept your tips and you will be taken care of.
4. There are standard electrical outlets in the room (two I believe)
5. Do not forget your flip flops - In the gift shop they start at $60 and go $120 US DOLLARS! (and they are like Walmart ones) Gift shop is in US Dollars and expensive.
6. If you want souvenirs, Go into town. The same gift shop tshirt they sell for $20 is 4 for $20 in town.
7. Make your dinner reservations when you check in! AND do not let them tell you "it's full". If you ask, they will find a spot for you.
8. Cell phones work! I have cingular and I called they added intl roaming for $3.99 and I had full bars the whole time.

Finally, remember the golden rule, "do unto others as you would have done to you". We saw too many RUDE people while we were there. The locals staff these resorts and if you travel to where they live you would understand that your level of service may be different than theirs. These people are very kind and accomodating however, they have not been to your favorite hotel or restaurant to know what it is that you expect. Remember you are in the west indies..... treat people with respect.

Ok I'm done. We loved it and would do it again!

28 Thank Brenda_D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I read every review posted and was very nervous about going to this resort based on some of the negative reviews. I wanted to stay at the Grande but couldn't see paying an extra $1,000 when we could just take the shuttle there from the Regency. We were so happy with the Regency we didn't even go visit the other 2 resorts. We stayed 7 nights. The ride to and from the airport was not bad at all, we loved getting to see some of the island.

We had a fabulous vacation. Everything was great. We were upgraded to an oceanview room because of construction. The construction was going on, on the other side of the building but really wasn't bad because we were never in our room. We absolutely loved St. Lucia and would go back in a heart beat, we liked it better then Mexico and Jamaica. The resort is awesome, the food was so good(the best I've ever had at an all inclusive). There were so many restaurants that we ate at a different one almost every night and they were all good (the piton and kimono's were my favorite). The pool was fun and the nightly entertainment was fun too(they always had something going on at night for entertainment and after the entertainment ended they opened the disco in the sports bar). The beach was beautiful, it was a little rough but that didn't stop anyone. The weather was great, it only rained the day we got there and for 10 minutes on Monday. It was in the 80's all week.

We took the land and sea tour which was incredible. We got to see most of
the island which is breath taking. We had a couples massage at the spa
which one of the male massage therapists helped me con my husband into
doing and it was one of the best massages I have ever had.

Our vow renwal ceremony went smoothly. I had my hair done at 8am and we renewed our vows at 10am and picked out our digital pictures we wanted at 11am. The wedding coordinator made a mistake and told us our ceremony was at 10:30am (at the meeting they had scheduled on Monday)which wasn't a big deal but he gave us free t-shirts. They did 10 ceremonies the day we were there and I don't think any of the couples ever crossed paths.

Overall it was a vacation of a lifetime. We didn't even go visit the
other resorts we were so happy with the Regency. If you ever get a chance
definately visit St. Lucia, I can't speak highly enough of the island and
the people were so nice. The staff at the Regency would do anything for you.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!