“Wonderful Wedding”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“Wonderful Wedding”
Reviewed February 23, 2005

Just got back from the Regency, we were there from 6th Feb to 20th Feb.
I have to say I loved the place.
We got married on 14th Feb and had a wonderful day.
The photos were excellent, and the service first class.
We were in a party of 8 people (4 rooms) and all of us had our rooms upgraded.
We spent the first week at the edge of the bluff and loved the walk down to the main resort (no more than 10 minutes).
The second week we upgraded to the Oceanfront suites which have steps straight down to the beach.
I found the staff there first class and they couldn't do enough for you.
The food was very good, but I feel the menu's should change more regularly.
The entertainment there again was great, Roddy, Patra, Glen and Ricky were particularly friendly and fun to chat too.
The Spa was great and the gyms well stocked.
Overall I would love to return.
If you would like some more info, please let me know....

• Stayed February 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,781)
Reviewed February 22, 2005

Just came back from the best holiday ever..We were a little worried about the Regency since we read all the negative comments..I guess you can,t please everyone.. The food was the best,and the service bar none..The staff couldn,t do enough for you.When it rained,it was only at nite or early morning.The weather was hot all week,didn,t even need a cover up at night.We brought some insect repellant but didn,t need it.
We were in a deluxe room on the main floor.It was small but was all we needed.It was very clean,always had lots of towels,hot water.
The beach was not always great for swimming here,but went to the Grand and had a great time.
Would recommend it to anyone who needs to be pampered.This was our first but not the last...

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2005

Just returned from spending 7 glorious nights in the Sandals Regency. We left Toronto (1 hour late.. thanks to de-icing the plane!) on February 14, returned Feb 21st (also 1 hour late... due to weather conditions in Toronto) If there are any spelling errors.. sorry!

I am usually one that writes long reviews but to save some time and in order for me to get back to my routine I will not be doing that. Instead, I suggest you read Hlywuds' review just before mine.. it's on the money, precisely to the point! So if I do repeat something that was previously written.. again sorry!

Weather: Fantastic.. it was a bit wet the first couple of days.. just some scattered showers, then it only seemed to rain at night, but they sure do get some rain. Now I know why they have such wide gulleys! But in my opinion, this is one of the greenest islands I have ever been to!

We were in room 70 over the Honeymoon suites..just by the tennis courts.. but in the middle section. The room.. fabulous! no holds barred.. 4 poster mahogany bed, king-sized! Lovely French period furniture, mahogany as well. Having the lowest category in the resort, I was a bit apprehensive thinking that I would get a smaller bed.. no way at Sandals.. All their resort rooms have king beds! The location of this room is also one of the quietest areas. Our room was over a plunge pool room, no balcony or patio (which I did miss, but we were able to open 2 sets of windows) We also have a view of the ocean.. and could see the cruise ships entering the sea so that was nice. I will post some photos once I get these sorted out!

Coffee maker in room, walk in closet.. with lots of storage.. and an iron and ironing board too! ?As well a nice sized safe. Plus good news for us ladies who can't leave without their curling irons... plug it in by the coffee maker.. it will accommodate it! It's by the mirror as well. Room was clean.. and big! lovely colors. We were so shocked to come back on our first night and noticed our bed was turned down and fresh towels replaced with the wet ones we had just used after our shower. This happened every night, except our last, so I am not sure if we were just left out or if it happens to all on their final night. But NO PRESSURE, NO PROBLEM MON! You will hear a lot of that.. and there were NO PROBLEMS.. not one so ever... the only thing that went amiss is my salad not coming one night at the Pavillion Restaurant.. but I didn't miss it as I was almost full!

Do try and hook up with another couple and take a private tour together. Hlywud suggested I call up Yasson and get a tour with him. Well thanks for the Tip! He actually showed me your card Hlywud and says hello! He's a great young fella... and has access to a few cars. We were in a Mitsubishi SUV, air conditioned and full of comfort. It beat the heck out of traveling with 10 other couples. Since we went with another couple, we were able to pay only $140. US for us to see the southwest part of the islands. This price is good for up to 4 people. And he brought us drinks in a cooler and also some snacks. Which we didn't eat as we had eaten breakfast. So if you wish his cell number.. please email me. Again highly recommended and for your info.. most tours started at $65 US anyway.. so for an extra $5.00 US a person.. you will get a wonderful air-conditioned car, and can stop at anytime. Please stop at Castries and go to the market.. souveniour are cheaper than at the resort shop.

I will add to what's been said.. for those of us who have gone to Cuba or the Dominican and I bet even Mexico and said.. what bland food... no taste etc. your mouth will not be prepared for what you will be getting at the Sandals Regency. Our regret was not being able to stay 14 nights to be able to eat at all 3 resorts. It was one treat after another, meal after meal. Even breakfast was something out of this world. Bagels, toasts, Crab cakes and poached eggs...omelets that would fill you up completely (made to order too and they were quick in doing them!) But one bit of advice.. if you can reserve your dinners before even leaving home.. do so! Email the concierge dept. we did before hand and was able to secure our reservations for Kimonos, La Toc and The Pier (at the Halycon). Unfortunately I missed out on The Pier which is amazing from what we heard. But that's ok.. now we have to go back!

Another remark about food.. the water is safe to drink and no one that I knew was ever sick! And I never heard one complaint about anything. The only thing I did find strange is the disco which is pretty much the only place to get a drink after midnight was not busy at all. So I guess people sleep early to rise early. We tend to call it a night at 2:30 a.m or so and are still up at 7:30.

The employees treated us like we were special people.. they didn't know if we were in a standard room or in the bluffs, it didn't matter to them. Everyone was polite, obliging and went out of their way to make sure you had the holiday of your life. IF something was not right.. they made it right.

So this is my "mini" review. We had a blast.. this too is our second best holiday ever. And we will go back... My thanks to all at the resort and also, and you will probably think I'm losing it.. thanks to Air Canada Vacations and Sandals Resorts for doing this spur of the moment special that came up over New Years Weekend.. Yes... for those of us, that were not very hung over and seen it it's our best find yet! I waited 6 weeks to go on this holiday.. not knowing what was waiting for me. I will definitely keep my eyes open at the same time next year! The price for us both to go would have got us in Cuba or the Dominican for 2 weeks in a 4 star resort. We got 6 star quality in my opinion. Worth every penny we paid and in the end that's what counts.

So my final words are, when you sit on the beach on "Hump day", which would have been Thursday for us, and you look at your spouse and say, "Honey, I can't remember the day we arrived", you know that you have completely let go of all your worries and troubles. Happy travels to everyone. :)

• Stayed January 2005
9 Thank rustysheba
Reviewed February 21, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Regency the week of Jan 23/05. I must confess to being very nervous about it because I read the reviews on this site and frankly the reviews were not great.
We absolutely loved this place. The room was great and very clean--in fact was cleaned everyday before 10:00am. The scenery was spectacular and the people and service were outstanding. This resort is so large that you never feel crowded. I can't understand the negative reviews--we had a wonderful experienc and we are very experienced travellers who only choose 4 star properties.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MARYLAND
Reviewed February 19, 2005

My wife and I recently honeymooned in St. Lucia from July 5, 2004 to July 13, 2004 and stayed at 2 resorts on the island. The island itself has beautiful views and scenery but is stricken with poverty which can be seen throughout the island. It also rained almost every day of our honeymoon, which is common during that time of the year in St. Lucia.

From July 8 – 13, we stayed at Sandals Regency St. Lucia Golf Resort and Spa. Our accommodations were in the Sunset Oceancrest One Bedroom Suite w/ 24 hour room service. This suite had 2 TV’s, a large king 4 post bed, a whirlpool bath, private shower, living room, mini bar and a patio that overlooked the Sunset Bluff Suites with a partial ocean view. The biggest disappointment in our room was the location and the view. When I reserved this category suite several months prior to our honeymoon I was told by the Sandals representative that our suite would be overlooking the ocean and that we could simply walk down some steps near our suite and we would be on the beach. Neither of these was true. We overlooked other suites and had the option of taking a long walk to the beach or waiting 10-15 minutes for a shuttle. Sandals has shuttles running throughout the resort to transport guests from one side of the resort to the other. Our suite also had an electronic door key to gain access into the suite. Many of the other suites utilized a standard key; however we were stuck with the electronic key card which was extremely temperamental. I had to get it reprogrammed 3 times throughout our stay.

The 24 hour room service is supposed to be one of the highlights of the suite we reserved, but was very disappointing. Breakfast is available from 4:00am – 11:00am. Lunch from 11:00am to 6:00pm, Dinner from 6:00pm to 11:00pm and Snacks from 11:00am to 4:00pm. The menu is limited and by the end of the week we had tired of many of the choices. We also would always receive a phone call about an hour after our room service had been delivered requesting us to place our tray outside the door. This became very annoying. Especially since the tray would then sit outside the door for a few hours before being collected which allowed the local stray cats and birds to eat any leftovers. Our suite did not have a do not disturb sign, so we were repeatedly disturbed by the cleaning service and the person who keeps the mini bar stocked. Another couple at the resort had no hot water for their first 3 nights at the resort, but we luckily did not have this problem.

The beach was very nice, with plenty of lounge chairs and a few umbrellas. Beach/Pool towels were very hard to find during the day at Sandals. They would limit each guest to 2 towels per couple, and usually ran out of towels in the morning. We found that we could stop by one of the smaller pools and usually find some towels there. The beach was closed by the resort 2 of the days we stayed at the resort due to rough waters. Scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing, hobie cats, kayaks and paddle boats were offered at our resort, but although the brochure states that waterskiing is offered, we found that waterskiing and tubing is only available at the Sandals Grande resort. The spa offers many treatments and services and offered one complimentary package during our stay, but it was out of service during the last 4 days of our stay.

The pools were impressive, with a swim-up bar at most of them. Bars are located throughout the resort, which offer soda, alcoholic or non-alcoholic mixed drinks and 2 beers (a local piton lager and Heineken). No other beers are offered anywhere on the resort. The sodas and the mixed drinks all tasted watered-down. The restaurants for the most part were good. Crab, lobster and filet mignon are not offered at any of the restaurants. We were very surprised to find that the Pier seafood restaurant at the Sandals Halcyon resort did not offer at least crab. Most places offered local St Lucia wine but you had to pay for any other wine. The restaurant hours are limited and between 3pm and 6:30pm the only option we had to eat was the Arizona Grill which offered: burgers, fries, hotdogs, etc. During these hours many of the guests are still enjoying the beach and the pool and are limited to one grill for food. However, guest can walk back to their rooms and order room service during this time and have a larger menu selection (but we sure didn’t want to hike back to the room just to order food). As minor as it may sound, it was also very difficult to find napkins at the resort especially from the Arizona Grill.

After eating at the Japanese restaurant at Sandals my wife became sick with what we believed to be food poisoning. We chose to leave the resort one day early because we were so disappointed in the resort. We had to pay a penalty fee for rescheduling our flight on such sort notice (that Sandals did not offer to reimburse us for), but it was worth it to leave the resort. It wasn’t until we decided to leave early that the suite concierge office paid any attention to any of our requests or complaints. It was said the first day on our arrival to Sandals that the suite concierge’s office only purpose is to serve our wants and needs in the ocean bluff suites.

Considering the cost of staying at a Sandals resort we found ourselves working way too hard each day. We expected to be spoiled and taken care of during our honeymoon, especially since we upgraded our suite class. We would recommend our first resort to couples visiting St. Lucia but we will not recommend Sandals. We felt that Sandals was not worth the amount of money that our stay cost. Sandals has a very good marketing department, but the resort definitely did not live up to our expectations.

10 Thank SBZ103
Reviewed February 16, 2005

My girlfriend and I just returned from Saint Luica after spending 4 nights at the Grande and 3 nights at the regency.. the food is excellent at both places..service comes with more of a smile at the regency...the resort seems to be a little run down at the regency--BUT it is 30 years old--but still very nice..the beach at the grand is man made so it is very calm compared to the beach at the regency...BUT we had alot of fun playing in the waves... If I had to choose between the two of them I would choose the grande only because it is much newer and alot less walking..the Regency is a very large resort and if you end up with a suit on the mountain top you will need to be shuttled all around..and that could be a bit of a wait..I think my next trip is to try the Sandels in Turks& Cacios --E-mail me if U have stayed there..thanks and see you at the beach

P.S. for all those stuck up snobs and complainers about the regency GET A LIFE there is nothing wrong with that place at all..Hats off Sandals

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2005

My husband and I booked our honeymoon to the tune of(with spa treatments)of $11000.00.I walked into my room and was greeted by screen doors hanging off hinges.
I was assured of privacy and I had a walk-way for employees right outside our door.
The service was at best ok,as the spa services were great.The entire experience at best was very dissappointing.
I had ants in my bathroom as well in the bed.The amount of money that was spent and for what I recieved in return was a COMPLETE let down.
I would not reccomend Sandals to anyone and being the amount of money that was spent I would have been a repeat customer every year,but do to the time that was had I will not be returning to Sandals..

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!