“Great Vacation (even in the rain)”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed January 24, 2005

We arrived on January 7, 2005 in the middle of a downpour. The rain continued through Monday, however, there was plenty to do inspite of the weather. The accommodations were great and the staff extremely helpful. Don't miss the Japanese, Italian and French restaurants.
Breakfast in the Pavilion is a treat and the vegetation on the premises is absolutely break taking! We ventured off to Halcyon and the Grand. Try dinner at the Pier at Halcyon. The beach at the Grand is quite nice.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (7,513)

Reviewed January 23, 2005

My girl friend and I just returned from the Sandals Regency, date of stay 15 to 22 Jan 05. All the advertising led us to believe this would be a romantic destination however we did not find it so. We found it to be over crowded, noisy, and more stressful than relaxing. The beach was unusable during our stay owing to high tides and surf, this exacerbated the crowding problem and seriously limited daytime activities since water sports were out of the question (red flag was up the entire stay). Our room was suitably appointed, clean, and comfortable with a nice view of the ocean. We found the French, Caribbean, and Italian restaurants quite nice and the service was efficient and amicable. They should tear down the Tex-Mex and start again, it was brutal. We never ate dinner in the main restaurant since they insisted on having very loud entertainment during the evening, not our cup of tea while eating. As per usual with all inclusives if you want good wine with dinner you will have to turn to the wine list (this comes at a hefty price), the house wine is awful. Good coffee also seems to be absent from most all inclusives - we brought our own and brewed it in the room. We do not intend to book at a Sandals ever again, if we wanted a holiday camp we could have achieved it at a much lower cost

Reviewed January 23, 2005

In January 2005, honeymoon it was & being from Florida, we wanted the Caribbean but further from what's closest to us: Bahamas, Puerto Rico, etc. So we chose the Grande Sandals St. Lucia.

To begin, we changed rooms 3 times because of the mold & the condition of rooms, considering how much money we had paid, just like those before us. We took pictures just to show the travel agent "you'll love this place" recommendation. Checking in was additionally long, therefore making settling in a 4 hour ordeal.

The food is OK- you won't starve, but definitely not something to miss. Besides, we found glass in one of our daiquiris. The jazuzzi's weren't too clean & neither were the plunging pools. The excursions are nothing to rave, either- pretty pricey for the sights.

After having too many bowel movements, due to something we ate, we complained. They were immediately responsive & did comp some of our bill at the end & gave us a free night in a future Sandals- HA! Now, it might not be all of them, but just this one...

Now to finish on a good note- their service was impeccable. Just nothing else measured up to the pictures & brochures of the location & resort. We made the best of it, but if you are choosing a resort don't make this your first choice- unless disappointment is your goal.

9  Thank GlobalPsych
Virginia
Reviewed January 22, 2005

Never again. Took my wife here for our honeymoon and could ring my friends neck who suggested it. I was a excited to go to an all inclusive resort for money reasons but let me tell you. The advantage to tips are people will work for them. This is not the case with sandals I would have much prefered to pay as I go, and get high quality service. The drinks were all watered down and I know this because a watched the bar tender mix a bottle. I really could write a 1000 pages on the bad things about this resort. Please guys take my advise I just booked our replacement honeymoon and I'm not taking the cheap route this time in the end run I could have gone to any Four Seasons and saved myself money in the long run.......

Illinois
Reviewed January 21, 2005

I saw this sight about a month ago and said wow there is alot of bad reviews on here and I became concerned. I was going to this resort on Jan 12. I let Sandals know about this sight and told them I was worried that it was reciving such bad reviews and they said that they where just complainers is all. I felt better and went on my trip, I just got back two days ago and let me tell you. BELEIVE THESE REVIEWS!!! I will never just blow off reviews like this again. The service there was terrible, the food was constantly the same. The drinks where horrible. The beach is always red flagged and you can never go on it. The rooms are a joke. The check in process is also a joke. The words No problen and things like that started to get on my nerves, especially when they just didn't care. Good luck trying to get a drink while dining. Look the average price of this resort including flight and hotel is around 3000.00 it is not worth the money. You can be papmpered like a king at so many other places and pay alot less. Heres an example. I travel alot to resorts. I go to about three resorts a year, and here is my tip to you. Stay away from Sandals. They are over priced and they just want to get you there with this ultra all inclusive statement. lololol You want a great vacation on an all inclusive resort that is actually a 5 star and is so much cheaper? Try the RIU Jalisco is puorta Vallarta. I have been to alot of Sandals and they don't even compare to others out there. I can go on for hours on how bad this resort is, but why bore you. Want another example? No tipping allowed?? Yea right I saw that my wife was being ignored so I slipped a bartender a 10.00 that they say that they are not to take and the word got around that we tip. We where followed like kings the last day. PLEASE give me a break. Oh yea hope that if you loose your luggage you don't expect the resort to help you out either. Alot of people while I was there lost there luggage. The hotel did one thing for us and that was say NO PROBLEM and nothing was done after that. How about placing a call for us to the airlines? NO Oh yea try making a call to someone at home even with a calling card it is a 4.00 surcharge? WHY? I made one call that week and it should have been 4.00 surcharge, yea right somwehow I got billed three times. Because the call didn't go thru. So they charge you just to even try let alone when you get thru. Good Gosh I can go on for hours, well I will say one thing I am not just a complainer but I am a person that does something about it. I have already contacted my attorney about some misleading items in there brochure, and I have no problem spending another 3000.00 fighting them. Oh well I mocked all you reviewers in the past and I must say I take back what I said about everyone here that ripped on this place. You guys where right and I should have listened.

Sorry,
Tom

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
north east england
Reviewed January 18, 2005

Do Not book Sandals Regency dirty horrid and definately not 5" luxury just returned from a nightmare of a holiday, staff very rude service not existant could not even get a coffee at breakfast, bar service everything about this resort is horrid the rooms are dirty and badly in need of updating not what you expect when you pay thousands of pounds, the resort is what we would describe as an adult summer vacation camp and not all mixed sex couples either!! we stayed at the Sandals Halcyon in St Lucia last year and that was great so we were so disappointed with the regency, eventually having to endure 9 days in the hellhole we managed to move up to the Grande for our last few days if you have booked the regency get it changed to one of the others before you go or you may regret it

• Stayed: January 2005
Reviewed January 18, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Regency from 11/11/05 - 11/18/05 I was very disappointed with Sandals. I am a travel agent and sell alot of Sandals Resorts. I can considered a Preferred Sandals Specialist. I can tell you I will not be selling this one until MAJOR renevations are done. We were booked in a one bedroom honeymoon oceanview suite. It was horrible, after trying to reach the general manager I was put in touch with the operation manager who changed our room to one in the same category. It was just as bad as the first expect the air conditioning did not work in this one and it smelled. The room was old, dirty and the furniture was falling apart. and the best part was that there was no view of the ocean!!! By this time my husband and I were fit to be tired so we called and demanded that the general manager come to our room, he did not agure our points at all and moved us to a sunset one bedroom suite up on the bluffs. This building is newer and the rooms were nicer. Ok so much for the room.
On to the service. We had a butler with this category room but unfortunately we did not see her/him except for our first night when we ordered room service. They were never around and when they were we were always given false information.
The service at the resturants was poor and very disorganized.
Being in the travel business I would think that they would want to make my stay as pleasant as possible so that I will come back home with wonderful stories to tell. After our first meeting with the general manager I did not see or hear from him for the remander of our vacation.
As a whole, I was not happy with the whole Sandals experience and will not be going back.

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank Michele H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!