“The do's and dont's of La toc”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I just returned from La toc with my wife. We used the trip as our honeymoon which you will quickly find that everyone else there is on honeymoon which makes for a good conversation starter with other guests. We loved the trip, and instead of doing my usual full on review, I am going to do a list style review that way the information can be seen and used more easily. This place is not without its flaws.

DO book a butler if you don't want to be bothered with little details while you are on your trip. Our butlers Roger, Ferna, and Edmond were amazing and really helped make this trip great. they handled everything from reserving pool chairs (they fill up quick), to booking dinner reservations (you will be turned down to accomodate butler clients), to booking our excursions. You will get those little towel puppets on your bed as a plus!
DO NOT get a butler if you are trying to save the money. It is expensive and to be honest we most likely did not use their services to the fullest extent. We were afraid to ask for somethings just by the nature of our personalities. If you are okay with getting your own chairs and reservations, then don't splurge. The butlered rooms did come with top shelf liquor fully stocked though.

DO NOT believe any reviews that say there is not top shelf liquor available at any of the bars. You will see that there is premium stuff everywhere

DO NOT believe the adverts for the private car transfer because it is not a luxury vehicle that they will tote you in. We were picked up in a civic and some mitsubishi. No one was driving in the luxury cars as advertised. Save your money and take the bus or helicopter.

DO get the couples massage, but DO NOT think it is free or completely included. This is another example of false advertising. It is a credit for a couples massage, not a free couoples massage. It will cost you money. It was the best massage I have ever had though.

DO be careful about room 890 oceanview suite, or any room on that side of the building. They pick up trash and recycling every morning at 4AM about 100 feet from the room. We had to move rooms on the 3rd day, but they did not hesitate to move us and the butler moved our belongings for us.

DO go on the Joe Knows tour....enough said. Be ready to drink!

DO NOT think that booking the oceanview suites is the only way to get an oceanview. We buddied up with a couple in the same building who opted for the garden view and all the rooms in that category still faced the ocean with a wonderful view. Save the coin and look for something on the second floor of the 800 block.

DO book the dinner on the beach. The food was amazing. DO NOT think that it will take less than two hours to complete....yes, it took us 2.5 hrs to get through it.

DO make sure you get to the Pitons restaraunt.

So overall we loved the trip. It was a beautiful resort with many great views because of how it is built into the cliff. We did hear some couples say that they felt like 2nd class citizens bc they didn't get the butlers. I can agree with that because I kow they were booting people out of restaraunts to get us in. I am a huge beer drinker and I was getting coolers of beer brought to me at the pool that had Newcastle, Bass and Guinness, whereas everyone else got the local beer. If I didn't have the butler I would not have gotten the better beer. I think that is just one example of them accomodating any request. The shuttles come frequently to take you up and down the hill, and we never waited more than a few minutes for one. If we did, usually our butler would see us waiting and come swooping in for us on a golf cart. Skip Armando's restaraunt for every meal...it wasn't very good. Everywhere else was fantastic. If we could do one things differently we would've done more excursions, booked another room, and went to another Sandals to try other restaraunts. the vacation was enjoyable, but nothing happened on the trip that made me say, "from now on it's only sandals for us."

15  Thank Ethan H
There are newer reviews for Sandals Regency La Toc

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My family and I stayed in this resort for a week in July 2014 and for the most part we had a wonderful experience. Checking in took a while (we had butler service for my wife and my room) and no butler service for the kids' room. For some reason our check in process took much longer the the kids' check in did.
There is plenty of food and drink. Several restaurants from which to chose, all very good food and great service. Armando's, their Italian restaurant, stands out above all the others. The food there was absolutely outstanding. The service in all restaurants was excellent.
Our room was very nice. We had a "living room" on the main floor of the casita, and the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The room as very clean and neat as was the whole resort. The room for the kids was smaller, mainly a bedroom and bathroom but also very clean and well taken care of.
The staff was very friendly and genuinely concerned that you were happy and that all your needs were met.
The pools are well tended and clean. The beach area is also very nice although not as large or as nice as the beach at Sandals Grande resort about 1/2 hour away from La Toc. There are shuttles that run all day between the three Sandals resorts on St. Lucia so you can visit, shop, eat at any of the three resorts. There were more water activities available at the Grande.
The butler service was outstanding and very helpful in making reservations, getting you around the resort and making your life as a guest easy. We had room service and that was excellent as well.
I would stay at La Toc again even though the Grande has a nicer beach because La Toc seems quieter and more laid back.
I only have two issues with LaToc. I would have liked to borrow or rent snorkeling gear to snorkel around the resort beaches. Snorkel gear is only available if you take a snorkel "tour" a short distance from the resort. This is available at no charge which is very nice but still I'd like to have been able to snorkel without going somewhere to do it.
My main issue is that there are no ATM machines on any of the Sandals resorts. Tipping on the resort is discouraged but when you leave the resorts to go on tours like zip lining, climbing the Pitons, Joe Knows tours, etc. you should have tip money for the guides. To get to an ATM I had to go to the town of Castries, about a 5 minute drive from La Toc and $40.00 US round trip. We were going there to shop anyway so the cab fare wasn't a big deal but Sandals is doing their guests a disservice by not making it easier to get cash. BTW, for shopping in any of the towns and markets on the island you will need cash, not credit or debit cards. US dollars are always good so no need to convert cash. Just be aware of the exchange rate.
A great resort with a couple of shortcomings that would not keep me from returning(this time with more cash).

Room Tip: Stay in the small casitas rather than in the main resort. Butler service if your budget allows.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank JRL46
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We've traveled throughout the Caribbean and St Lucia was amazing! We stayed at La Toc in August 2012. The property is beautiful, quiet, and the beach cove is lovely. The bartenders are great. Restaurants are all wonderful. Our favorite was the French restaurant.

Excursions booked included climbing the Pitons and Soufriere Adventure Cruise. Both were great. I wasn't able to climb to the top of the Pitons due to my asthma, and the strenuous climb. Be prepared, if you are out of shape, climbing the Pitons is not the excursion for you :) The Soufriere Adventure Cruise is a lot of fun!

We enjoyed staying at La Toc and taking the shuttle service to the two neighboring Sandals properties which included Halcyon and Grande. Both are beautiful properties. The Grande hotel is enormous compared to the other two properties. Great sunset views of Pigeon island at the Grande.

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phillips-Family-Trav
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our stay at this resort was excellent!!! First and foremost, the service was absolutely top-notch from the Front Desk to the maintenance man, especially Mina Williams (always has a smiling face and willing to accommodate however she can). Our rooms were tended to daily on schedule and when we had a minor maintenance issue in our room, the front desk sent someone right away. Also the cuisine was great in all restaurants we tried, although the portions were small, it just meant we ordered double. We are already planning our trip back to this same resort because we enjoyed ourselves so much!!! No pressure, No Problems!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David P
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We cannot think of the best word to describe our stay at La Toc. We came in June 29th and unfortunately had to leave on July 6th. We came to the resort as a couple that had never done an "All Inclusive" so, we didn't really know what to expect. We stayed in room 409, it was listed as "Emerald Honeymoon Ocean view." Our view overlooked the front garden area and beyond that we could see the beautiful ocean and the Mountains! The room was just the right size for us, queen size bed, whirlpool tub, flatscreen t.v. love-seat and arm-chair. Everything seemed very nice and well taken care of. I have read previous reviews of dated furniture, things not being kept clean, etc. Our room was immaculate... everyday! I want this room every time I come here... because WE WILL BE BACK!

The resort has a ton of restaurants (9, I believe) to choose from, from Italian to French, Mediterranean to English Pub fare. We did indulge a bit with the Candlelit Dinner for two. We originally requested to have it on the beach, due to inclement weather that had come through we moved it to the gazebo on top of the waterfall. With a view of the beach, the ocean, an overview of the pool area, and further down by Neptune's and one of the other pools. Truth be told, I'm glad we moved to a Gazebo. Our Waitress (I hate calling her that! She was so Kind and helpful) Flavia was an amazing way to start our Honeymoon and really set the tone for what we could expect inn this trip! Everything was during the meal was paced perfectly! The dishes were just the right size, presentation was immaculate! Flavia took the time to explain to us everything that was in front of us and make sure we had everything that we needed! Sandals has a wonderful employee on their hands with her!

My Wife and made it a point to eat at every restaurant on the resort. One of our favorites was Armando's, this Italian restaurant at the top of the resort provides one of the best panoramic views of the resort/island while providing hands down one of the best breakfasts on the resort! We had several different servers for the breakfasts that we had there because we went up there multiple times. I like to think of it as kind of a hidden gem, while everyone goes to The Pavilion for the buffet, take the time and either walk up there or take a shuttle and get there a little quicker. I am making the suggestion that you take a trip up there for breakfast at least once to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Pavilion, take the time and have a nice breakfast cooked just for you! Once again, we had outstanding service by at all of the staff, but, one stands out in particular. Our server/waiter we had, Joshua was incredible, I have never met someone so happy to be at work early in the morning and then to see him again for dinner, I hope he got a break in there. I really try to make a point to talk to the people there. Joshua was incredibly willing and able to answer any questions that my Wife and I had concerning the resort, the island, the history, and culture in St. Lucia. I asked what he wanted to do and what he does outside of working, he let us know he enjoyed traveling and wanted to be a Travel Agent working for Sandals. When he becomes that and probably so much more, we will be happy to book a vacation through him.

We did make it a point to eat at the restaurants that require reservations(I highly recommend doing this!). La Toc (the French restaurant) was a wonderful restaurant! We were told we would have Joseph as our waiter and he did not disappoint. In order to mix things up a little bit we will ask what they would recommend off of the menu. He did not lean toward what was popular or even things that we were torn between, he told us pointblank what he enjoyed the most and we were pleased with what he chose. He was just a quiet, nice, out going, and fun waiter. The manager came around toward the end of our dinner service (our reservation was for 8:45 pm) to ask us how everything was going, we of course complimented Joseph. I was surprised to learn that people do not take the time to compliment amazing customer service. We explained how nice, helpful, etc. Joseph had been and he said that he was proud to have him as part of his team. I apologize that I cannot remember the mangers name, I believe it is Moise. You will not be disappointed if you choose to eat here.

The other restaurant we went to that required a reservation on La Toc was Kimono's, It was a lot of fun with our chef, he really interacted with everyone around the table and I think we all had a lot of fun. The ambiance was great, as was all of the food, everything was cooked to order. It also seemed that our chef was up to date on all of our pop-culture references (the good and the bad).

Since we were on our Honeymoon, we wanted to treat ourselves to a little bit of pampering after all of the wedding planning and stress. We did take advantage of the RedLane Spa, the couples massage is definitely the way to go! There was a little bit of a delay in starting. One masseuse took us aside and provided a hand and forearm massage to both my wife and I. This was a great way to start our relaxing couple of hours at the RedLane. The pressure was great and I was asked if I wanted more pressure/light pressure only once or twice, it was great! This was an incredible way to unwind from all of the stress of the wedding and wedding planning!

We did forget to pack pants for some of the nicer restaurants, so we went to the gift shop on site where Luverlee was incredibly helpful in finding the right sizes and making sure we were well taken care of. Not only was she helpful in the regard of customer service, but again, she was incredibly informative, ready, and willing to answer any question about St. Lucia,their history and culture, and just an all around really nice person. Something that can be overlooked very easily. I spent about 4 minutes just talking to her and learning so much that would have otherwise been missed. She seemed to genuinely enjoy what she was doing and speaking with customers and meeting people from all over. Once again, Sandals La Toc knocked it out of the park with her as an employee and focussing on the customer service aspect.

With anything, there are always hiccups and things do not go according to plan, we had one very very small issue with our luggage and the guest services representatives, John, Terry and Victor, were all too willing to make sure the issue was rectified. For that, my wife and I appreciate the entire staff at Sandals. The same goes for Charles in the Food and Beverage Dept. a tiny hiccup that was immediately fixed and only sweetened our experience.

I highly recommend taking one of the 'Joe Knows' tours. This is such a fun way to see a beautiful island in such a short time. I would also suggest talking to some of the employees (again, I hate using this term) for things to do around the island if you are seeking a much more cultural experience.

I know I am leaving out some details, as there was just so much that was going on.
The resort itself is immaculate, incredibly maintained on a daily basis. The people were so friendly, if it weren't for the jobs we had to get back to, I would have stayed for the people and to an only slightly lesser extent the island itself.

Room Tip: If you are not going to be in your room a lot, but want a view, any of the rooms in the Emerald Hone...
5  Thank Phillip G
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed 2 weeks for our Wedding and Honeymoon. The wedding coordinator (Shondell) was great. She worked with us before and after wedding. The hotel itself is very well kept and clean. Restraunts offer a wide variety and property is quite large. A couple of HUGE things to know. First,your cash you bring for spending at hotel MUST be totally free of any ink or writing and totally free of even the smallest tear. We brought cash to pay for some things and hotel wouldnt accept many of the bills we got from our bank! Second, if you have ANY food issues at all, ask to speak to Executive Chef as soon as you arrive. Chef Brown and Chef Stewart met with us personally and developed a meal plan, allowing my wife to eat with me at all restraunts. They checked on us frequently and followed up the day we left. They both said they take pride in making sure everyone enjoys their stay and can eat what they normally would eat even offering to go buy special food if needed. Now the bad, felt nickel and dimed with small fees and had to pay 15 bucks a day for wifi. At this level of resort, wifi access should be a given. Secondly, the pictures, having someone take our picture constantly and then having to 16 dollars for a 5x7 print, that is just nothing short of a racket. Again, for the money charged, lower that rate a little. The staff in my opinion is great but they do expect tips even though we were told gratuity is part of inclusion. Lastly, be cautious of excursions from Island Tours. They work to PACK every excursion full of people, snorkeling for example we had over forty people in a very small area. Boat for sunset cruise was jam packed as well. And you will be hit up for gratuity by everyone from drivers to guides to people selling or showing you things along the way. It was a great trip, I was lucky enough to marry my best friend and really enjoyed property. 4 instead of 5 is for nickel dime charges.

Scott R

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. Younger drinking couples, lower level of property, poolside. Looking for...
1  Thank Scott R
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week in July 2013 for a week for our honeymoon. We went all out and had a butler suite with its own private pool. Below are the tips and thoughts we had:

1. Having the butler service was awesome if you want to go all out like we did, but on a return trip, we wouldn't do it again just because of the price.
2. The private pool at our suite was not worth it for us. We thought this would be great, and it kind of was, but the pool was in the shade much of the day so it was cold. In addition, the pool cleaning guys would show up at random to clean the pool and it didn't feel to private when that happened!
3. Most of the restaurants were good. Our favorites were La Toc (French restaurant) and the Hibachi type restaurant (don't remember the name). TIP: Don't mess with the reservation at Gordon's on the Pier. We did this, and it was a nice locale, but the drive to get there was awful (I don't get car sick but this drive almost did it to me). Also, once we were there, it was not the romantic atmosphere we envisioned. Further down the beach (off of Sandals property), they were playing SUPER loud music that was not conducive to the romance we wanted.
4. The beach!! It was great! There was no one usually and it was just us. It usually felt like our own private beach. The water was warm and the beach was clean. They could improve upon providing some shade, but other than that, loved the beach. It appeared everyone hung out at the pool all day instead of the beach, which was fine with us.
5. Definitely must do the Joe Knows tour. We really loved the volcano mud bath, the provided lunch, and the refreshing water fall swim. The rum punch had everyone pretty happy too!
6. Be prepared for the twisty, windy roads when they take you from the airport to the resort and back. They drive these roads fast!
7. We really had great service all the way around. No matter what restaurant we were at, or who was helping us with something, the people were just wonderful.

If we do ever go back to St. Lucia, we would consider this resort again for sure, but wouldn't do the butler suite and private pool due to the expense, and the pool just wasn't worth it as mentioned above.

Room Tip: Don't pay the money for a private pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Novice_traveler316
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!