“"Island Time"”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Houston, Texas
“"Island Time"”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I recently (04/03/14-04/09/14) traveled to St. Lucia for a wedding. I would like to start by saying that I really enjoyed our vacation. I'm writing this detailed review because I'm huge on reviews and it's only fair I write one myself. The bus ride wasn't two hours as I read on many reviews. It was actually on an hour. It wasn't a one time fluke either because it took us an hour to arrive and it also took an hour when we were heading back to the airport which was a very nice surprise. When you arrive to the St. Lucia airport you are nicely greeted and taken to a Sandals lounge where they have air conditioner, comfy places to sit and their signature rum punch drink which I loved! The wait for the shuttle bus to take you to the resort wasn't more than 15 minutes. My biggest complaint about the resort is how unbelievably slow the service was. Whether it was for us to get seated, to have someone come to our table and actually take our drink order or bring us a coffee in the morning. I can understand a few minutes here and there, but sitting down and waiting to be spoken to for 12 minutes in unacceptable. It wouldn't have hurt for someone to at least come by and let us know they would be right with us. From waiting to get seated to waiting for the food to come out was just awful. Even at the swim up bar they would just ignore you until they were ready to talk to you. Now, I must add that once we were attended they were extremely friendly, but that didn't take away from how long everything took. I spoke to our friends who were also on vacation with us and they all agreed. I think the "no tipping" has a lot to do with it. All the attendants there don't have any incentive to move a little faster. By the end of the trip I was extremely frustrated. I was also disappointed with the fact that you couldn't order food while at the pool or room service for that matter! I mean who doesn't offer room service. oh, and don't forget to make reservations or else you'll be out of luck! La Toc was a nice resort, but I've been to all inclusive resorts in Mexico that were a lot more luxurious with extremely hard working staff who were ready to wait on you. Something I did love was the fact that you're able to visit the other resorts. I most definitely recommend visiting the Grande. It was beautiful and because of how fabulous it was we went there twice! It was a nice vacation, but wouldn't be interested in visiting another Sandals resort if that's how they're all run.

4 Thank MyraMiranda
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hello MyraMiranda,

Thank you for taking the time to send your review. We always appreciate feedback from our valued guests and hearing about your Sandals experience. We were saddened to note that our service left something to be desired on this visit. We agree that prompt and attentive service is indeed important and we apologize for any shortcomings on our part during your time at Sandals La Toc. We are grateful that you brought this to our attention and our resort management team will be following up in this matter immediately.

We hope that you will consider returning and afford us the opportunity to serve you more efficiently on a future stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Cole Harbour, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just returned home from Sandals La Toc yesterday. After reading reviews before we left I must say we did have a few concerns before we arrived. We were a party of 6 of which 4 had never done a Sandals before. This was the best trip my husband and I have taken!!!!!! The staff at Sandals La Toc were incredible. We would like to mention Ron the entertainment Supervisor, Lucas the bartender at the piano bar, Biancka at Pitons restaurant and Patrick in the front lobby. Congrats to Ron and Lucas on the awards they won while we where there. We watched the awards and thought that for Sandals to do this for their staff was amazing!!!!!!! They were all fantastic and truly made you feel they loved their jobs. The food was excellent and the pools were great. I don't know why people complained about the beach. Yes it was yellow flagged every day while we were there but it was still a lot of fun... Our husband played in the waves like they were 10 and had a great time!!!!!!!!! The hotel was a little dated I agree and could use some updating but hopefully they will do this in the near future. As far a getting a butler I don't see the need to do so. We made our our reservations with no problems and we got our pool chairs every day by 8 am. We will definitely be going to another Sandals resort next year!!!!!!!!!! I feel that the trip is what you make it and some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. The people of St. Lucia are the friendliest we have ever met and the staff made the trip amazing!!!!!! Every staff member greeted you with a hello and a smile every day. The grounds were beautiful, we did the spa ( Sparkle was amazing!!!!! ) and left truly relaxed. We did the Our Toy Boat tour and it was a great day. Well worth the money!!! As for the cats..... They were super friendly and most people loved them.... They don't bother you at all. We are normally people that are early to go back to the room at night but we stayed out late most nights because of the great atmosphere and we met a lot of great people along the way. We would highly recommend this resort for the staff alone!!!!!! Go with an open mind..... If your someone who looks for something to complain about maybe you should just stay home.

Room Tip: If you like alcohol in your room go with the club level rooms and make sure you research if your roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pam G
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

In truth, this was a 4 star at best! I have travelled extensively, at a number of different resorts(second time at a Sandals), and I am NOT one of those people who look for things to complain about. Prior to arriving we had read a number of reviews which were both good and bad, and I had suspected that those that were negative were just being "whiners" or people that you just couldn't please. However, trust me, that is not the case!! The rooms were very DATED and tired looking. The food was mediocre, at best, however we did have some decent meals depending on the restaurant. The buffet was basically the same every day, with just the basics (expected more considering the costs of this vacation and comparatively to other 5 star all-inclusive resorts). The staff were good for the most part, (I worry about mentioning the staff because I don't want it to be perceived that all staff were horrible)however, it was a hit and miss. I sometimes felt as though I was "putting them out" and yet, others were all too happy to provide you the service. You sometimes were greeted with a "good morning" and other times ignored completely. On a positive, the grounds were beautiful and the beach a definite 10!
I should mention that we had no issues with having our "tired looking " room cleaned every day with fresh towels and sheets. The cleaning staff, in our room, were excellent. In our final day, prior to leaving the resort, we left behind a well-deserved tip(our choice as it is highly discouraged). We checked out, however we were permitted to return to our room, a few hours later, to shower prior to leaving for the airport. The room had yet to be cleaned, and yet the money was gone?? When we inquired, at the front desk, about the tip for the "cleaning staff" being gone. They informed us that the money was taken to "donate" to their local foundation. No doubt it is a worthwhile cause, however that should have been OUR CHOICE to do so(which we had done so upon checking in), not for them to randomly take money that WE specifically left for staff!!

Note-Sandals is well known within the travelling industry, and I would highly encourage that they invest some their resources into updating the rooms at this resort or they will lose future potential returning customers to this Sandals, or any other one for that matter! (There advertisement of the resort left me feeling like there was a definite misrepresentation of the hotel when describing it as a "5 Star" with beautiful pictures of the room (not so much!!).

2 Thank Denise55555
Thank you for your review, Denise.

We were disappointed to hear that you were not completely pleased with your stay at Sandals La Toc. We have had many guest commend us on the our luxurious accommodations, which leaves us quite disappointed that you did not have a similar experience. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality.and we apologize if you felt that we fell short of meeting this goal.
While we always perform renovations and redesigns to ensure that we provide the highest standard of luxury and comfort, our process is an on-going one. We value your input and I will be sending your comments to our resort staff for further review.
We hope to host you again and deliver the full Sandals luxury experience on a future trip.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Fabulous hotel! We were given a really lovely butler room with amazing oceanviews and a private pool. The room was very clean and modern with a lovely big comfortable bed. Our butler very kindly booked tables for us at the Japanese and French restaurants which I would highly recommend (book early or it can be difficult getting in) The food was fantastic, service likewise. Overall we had a fantastic time, thank you especially to Barkus and Gene who were so helpful and really cared about making our holiday so good. We will definitely return next year!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an oceanview - totally worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraK3001
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Good food, nice location and extremely friendly crew. We had a condo up in the hills and the walk was five minutes to the centre. Soy was the best of the restaurants and renting a cabana is well worth it. The shuttle to the other Sandals is on time and it makes a lot of sense to visit the other two resorts.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lima
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel was clearly deteriorated. The furniture´s fabric was highly used. There were scratches on the tables all over the place. The carpets were old and dirty. The lighting made the ambience depressing. The decoration was old fashioned. The food was high in fat and processed. There were flyes on the breakfast buffet and cats in the restaurants.

My overall experience was not what I expected from a 5star hotel.

On the otherside St Lucia is awesome! Check for other hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Sandra_8i8
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Sandra,

We regret to hear that you were not pleased with your stay at Sandals La Toc. The furniture in each room, especially those with known expiry dates, such as mattresses for example, are checked on a regular basis and replaced as needed. While we always perform renovations and redesigns to ensure that we provide the highest standard of luxury and comfort, our process is an on-going one. Even though our staff performs a number of quality control checks, there are times when items may become damaged without our knowledge. When incidents are reported, we respond immediately to repair any damaged items as quickly as possible to avoid any further inconveniences during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and I will be sending your comments to the management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Sandals La Toc. Generally it was a pleasant, although not overly impressive experience.Given the high price of the suite that we stayed in we were surprised when simple tasks such as a wake up call and room cleaning were not done by the staff. Of particular annoyance was the "you should have subscribed to the butler service" response from the front desk to our complaint about the uncleaned room in particular. We paid in excess of $600 per night for the room (all inclusive) and were told we needed to spend significantly more in order to merit clean towels, clean sheets and to have the fridge replentished. We were shocked to say the least. It seemed like a classic blame the victim comment. To readers of this review I would suggest shopping around for a better value resort.

Dave Barnes (Montreal, Canada)

3 Thank Dave B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for your review of Sandals La Toc. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern with us about your stay. I assure you that we are dedicated to making sure that all of our guests have an amazing stay, regardless of their accommodation category. I apologize for any shortcoming on our part and we will be looking into this matter immediately. We know how much our guests look forward to their trip to paradise and we want to make the experience as perfect as possible. We value all of your input and we hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to serve you more efficiently.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!