“Fantastic views and service”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Montevallo, Alabama
“Fantastic views and service”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our first trip to St. Lucia and to a Sandals resort. We were pleased with the service and the food there. Since this was our 45th wedding anniversary, we went for the butler service. Our butlers were Christus and Stephie. They were both very attentive and helpful and went out of their way to please us! We really enjoyed getting to know them. Christus was a joy to be round and bent over backwards to make sure everything was just right. He had such a pleasent view and attitude on his job and was very sincere! We recommended him to our daughter and son in law, who are going down next week for her birthday.
We ate at all the restaurants on property and went to the Grande and Halcyeon for a lunch and dinner. Marios at Halcyeon was very good and worth the trip over. The beach at Grande was better for swimming abd play, but the scenery at LaToc was much better than all three.

We originally signed up for a week, but stayed an extra three days to relax! Had to change rooms for the last three days, but the room was just as nice (Living room and patio up stairs on the main level and bedroom and bath down stairs . We had a back door from below which took us staraight to the beach and middle pool area. Still had great views!
We did Zip Line and JoKnows and scuba for one day:*** If you take any meds, besure to take a medical release or you will miss out on the dive until you get the releases faxed down on doctor letter head! We are certified divers and the representative that we worked with to set up the trip failed to tell us this.

Other than this glitch we had a wonderful time! Grande was more younger people and Halcyeon was more quiet and smaller and La Toc was a mixture of both. We will go back to a Sandals property again. PS: Try the BBC from the bar! I'm not much of a drinker, but it was great!! with a little extra splash of Rum, if too sweet

Christus met us at the check in and saw us off on the day we left! Guess he will be promoted to a manager level by the time we return!! He deserves it!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less mosquitoes coming into room when windows are open. ocean views better! Room...
2 Thank Shirley H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Zeeland, Michigan
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was reading some of the reviews and was honestly quite upset. I felt I needed to say this to give another perspective to those considering La Toc. We arrived on Dec 28, 2013 and left on Jan 5, 2014. On Dec 24, this island was hit with 36 inches of rain, which did make travel around the island difficult at times, but this is in no way the fault of the resort. The moment we arrived we were made to feel very comfortable and welcome.

This trip was booked as a honeymoon since we didn't get to take one before, so we spent the extra money to have an Oceanfront Villa and a butler. Don and Sydney made sure we always had everything we wanted and needed. I've seen many negative things about the restaurants. I have to strongly disagree with this. We had no problems getting or changing (if we needed to) reservations. The resort was made aware of my wine allergy, and the staff was always aware of it and made sure I didn't order anything that could cause an issue. I always felt that my needs were met.

As for the housekeeping, we had no problems. There were signs in the bathrooms asking us to reuse towels if we could. This is becoming more of a trend everywhere also. However if we needed fresh ones, they were there before we could even ask for them. I have also read about the complaints of the water, but due to the recent storms, what does one expect? We were provided with bottled water so again the guests safety was put first.

We also decided to renew our vows while we were there, although it was just the 2 of us, the La Toc staff made sure everything was taken care of. It was honestly more romantic than the first time. We did our renewal on New Years Eve and our butlers Sydney and Don, truly spoiled us. The NYE party was truly amazing and the food was delicious.

The pools we always kept clean, and yes the water was a bit cold, but once your body adjusted it was very refreshing. The swim up bar was fun and you'll always meet new people. Most of the time the red flag was up on the beach but we did still dip our feet in. The water was neither dirty or smelled of sewage like I saw on another review. It was warm and clean.

If your up for some fun I strongly suggest Herbies. It's a small bar but have a piano player who encourages you to join in the fun. We met a few couples there who we always seemed to run into one place or another. Not like we were crowded together but it was nice to always meet new people, and see someone you met. If you want to just be by yourselves, it's never a problem. Also every Friday there is a street party, amazing food and entertainment.

We want to specifically say Thank you to Don and Sydney, our butlers. Najma, our wedding coordinator, Alvin who took the most beautiful pictures on our wedding day. Also thank you to the entire staff at La Toc for your many smiles, and always being professional and catering to any needs. We hope one day we will get back, your are always in our hearts. Thank you so much for everything!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa M
Chatham
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We returned to the this resort and went with a butler suite this time. We loved the room and our butler Tony was great, friendly, breakfast delivered in the morning and lots of cold drinks and rum punch in the fridge. He even cleaned our shoes after our ATV adventure and drove us to dinner at night. The other butlers Delina & Liverston were also helpfully and friendly during our stay. Our room had a private pool which was beautiful but cold, needs a heater because the patio is very secluded and shaded. This year the resort did a themed gala around the pool deck with lots of food, the lobster was excellent and fireworks at midnight. They must have read by suggestion from last year regarding the lounges around the pool because they are all new wood ones with pads. The old ones are now on the beach so finding one is much easier. Granted having Tony reserve one each day was even better. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I don't think there are bad rooms it is all about what your comfortable spending.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Recently my wife and I returned from our week long stay at Sandals La Toc (Jan 2-9, 2014). The Location is breath taking, the Food is Amazing, the Service was actually very good (not sure what some people are complaining about) the Star was Bartender Lucas in the Piano Bar. My few complaints, we booked a room with a private Sundeck, and upon check in were given a different room that "supposedly" was in the same tier, that over looked the pool and had a small balcony...room was nice, but not what we expected, they had NO room available until the next day, my wife and I decided to just stay in the room....also the property is nice, but some spots really need to be updated, repairs, or just cleaned...the "lobby bar" which is actually below the lobby needs new mirrors, a huge bar with only 8 bar stools??? And they were often out of limes for drinks….that is something they should never run out of. The Pool bar which was the “place to be” during the day was either running smooth and fast or at a dead stop depending on who was the bartender. Also the bar/seats in the pool really need to be cleaned 30 mins with a wire brush would make it look 10 times better. There is no reason to have black gunk all over it.

Drinks/Food: Drink selection was poor to average...they don't even offer LOCAL Rum??? And often they were out and had to go to another bar...Food was Great every place to eat was amazing!

Tours: We only did one: Joe Knows…and let me tell you it is worth the money if you get BK, JR and Captain Andy…they are funny, active and really keep the party going…and please remember to tip them!

Resort Photos: This is a BIG Negative for me….during your stay you will be hounded and bothered all day and night by photographers wanting to take your photo…and after a week there we had about 60-70 pictures and some were really nice, but when you go to purchase them they START at $150 for a CD with only 10 photos on it….Hmmm, NO THANK YOU!....$50 I could see for 20 photos…but come on, that is just stupid….If I pay that much I expect ALL the photos you took of me, how hard is it to transfer photos to a CD?

Overall – In the end the food was a plus but as to where I would stay again (if at a Sandals) in St. Lucia we would stay at The Grande, better beach, better pool, better pool bar, and main bar…lastly if you plan on going to the Piton’s (the main attraction on the island, you are about 2 hours away), so keep that in mind. I do give this 4 out of 5 mainly for the food and the service.

Room Tip: save your money get a smaller room....if possible ask for a balcony...don't waste your money ona...
1 Thank Matthew D
Atlanta
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Even though it is old, the Sandals Regency LaToc is well maintained and has a wonderfully friendly staff who are eager to serve. The 8 restaurant options and complementary golf are all wonderful....and the weather couldn't have been better...loved the constant gentle breeze during the day while sunbathing either poolside or on the beach. (BTW, the waves & current are strong here so be careful when wading out from shore...my leg is still healing from where it was cut & scraped by a foot long barnacle-covered piece of concrete with a rusty nail sticking out...fortunately I had it immediately attended by the Sandals nurse on staff and my tetanus shot was up to date.)

We had a direct flight on Delta from Atlanta.

However, the F&B and Rooms-side training just isn't in sync with showing employees how to insure they are providing an exceptional guest experience. We kept leaving post-it notes to the maid requesting extra towels and yet would have to call to the desk. Although the servers in the restaurants were so sweet and smiing they seemed to bounce from table to table and not organized in filling requests for water, another napkin, a drink, information, etc. As my husband said, "It was all just a half a beat off from what you would expect." The pillows were hard but the AC was good an the room very clean. The food was excellent at all the restaurants and the presentation was nice.This was our first stay at a Sandals so perhaps our annual trips at other brand beach front all inclusives have raised the bar for our expectations. having been a GM for another hotel chain 35 years ago, I empathized with the staff because they were eager and most were very friendly, I knew that perhaps they just didn't have the proper training.

We didn't register for butler service and consequently couldn't get reservations before 9PM at either LaToc or the Japanese restaurant even though we went to the reservation desk first thing the morning after we arrived. But fortunately our new friends, the Manuels, invited us to join them and their butler had no trouble getting 7pm reservations for the 4 of us..

We were there Dec 29-Jan 5 and the whole area was still recovering from a major storm and mudslides...during the hour long drive from the airport we saw the main bridge was out and bulldozers still trying to clear the roads....so our van took us down a winding little road . Our hearts went out to the people whose homes were destroyed and all their mud-crusted furnishings/belongs were out in the yards and out by the street. Wish Sandals would have coordinated a relief effort instead there was a Tourism Enhancement fee tacked on to our bill. I think everyone would have gladly contributed to help these devastated people.

Although we enjoyed our stay, I wasn't exceptional so we will probably not be returning. There are so many other island options. However, for first time travelers I know they would enjoy the facilities, beach and especially the Joe Knows tour...must get DJ for their guide.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for your review.
We regret to hear that your stay at Sandals La Toc was not completely as expected. Our service has been the highlight of many reviews on Trip Advisor, which leaves us quite disappointed that your experience was not indicative of the norm. For this, we apologize.
We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks - including our food and beverage team.
We are grateful for feedback, inclusive of TripAdvisor posts, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My new husband and I decided to splurge and go to St Lucia for our honeymoon. We stayed at the La Toc resort and absolutely LOVED every single moment there!! We didn't get a higher priced room (some come with butler service and personal pools) but wanted an ocean view, and we LOVED the room we got! It was literally looking straight into the ocean and we could hear the amazing sound of the waves with the glass sliding doors open or closed! We were close to everything, the restaurants, the beach, the main lobby, the cabanas- anything we wanted or needed was very close. We did two excursions- the first was zip lining... WOW!! What an adventure!!! I think the company was "tree top adventures" and we booked it right from the lobby of the resort. It was fantastic!!! A very amusing ride there with our hilarious guide, "Cranium" (or Simple) who entertained us the entire time! At the tree top adventure park we geared up and got right into zip lining! 12 zip lines above, through and under the rainforest- it really was incredible!! We actually booked our honeymoon in St Lucia because my In laws have been to the island for a day trip on a cruise and enjoyed the zip lining so much they recommended it to us! The other excursion we did was a 10 hour full day trip called the "Wet n' wild", also booked right through the resort. My husband and I were a little concerned with the excursion being 10 full hours, but the price seemed right and what it offered sounded great, so we signed up. We could not have imagined how spectacular our day would be!!! We LOVED every single minute of that excursion!!!!! It started with a fun boat ride to the other side of the island (about 2 hours) where when we got off the boat, we met up with "Chubbs", our guide for the day. We jumped in his right hand drive, manual transmission, bright lime green dune buggies and took off! The scenery was outstanding!!!!! First we went for a nature hike to a spot right between the infamous "Pitons"- to say the view took my breath away is an understatement!! We saw a black sand beach (black because of the volcano- so cool to see!) had an amazing authentic Carribean buffet lunch, did a fantastic "off road" trip, (my husband enjoyed this so much! He had a goody grin on his face the entire time!) drove to the volcano, jumped into a volcanic hot spring, had a local rub us down with beautifully exfoliating volcanic mud, jumped back into the hot springs to rinse off and then back into the buggy to drive to a waterfall where we jumped right in!! From there, Chubbs navigated us back to the pier where we thanked him profusely for such an incredibly fun filled day and jumped into the boat that would take us back to the resort on our sunset cruise. Before we headed back, however, we stopped at the world famous diving/snorkeling spot right at the base of the Pitons and got an hour of spectacular snorkeling in!! After getting back into the boat, we enjoyed the relaxing ride back, with the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen!! Once dark, the entertainment began and we were doing conga lines all around the boat and had a blast dancing the time away until we docked again! Oh, there was also a buffet of snacks and lots of run punch and champaign to have, too!! My husband and I made a point of going to the excursion desk the next day to tell them they absolutely need to promote this tour to every single guest, young and old, because it was OUTSTANDING!!!!! We could not stop talking about this day and told every person we came across to sign up because it was truly the BEST day!! The cost of this excursion was absolutely worth it!!!! The rest of our stay at the resort was perfect, too! We rented a cabana right off the beach 3 times, for half a day. We weren't sure what to expect, but the cabana came with butler service, unlimited drinks and lunch served right to us! We were mesmerized by the waves!!!! We played a little cards, took short naps, thoroughly enjoyed the food and drinks, played in the waves of the Carribean sea, had some laughs over the adorable little lizards that would dart around on the rocks, and I even got some fabulous snuggle time in with two of the resort kitties! (Olivia and Garfield) the cost of the cabana rental was very reasonable because of the top notch service and romantic, relaxing atmosphere!! We both highly recommend doing this also, as it was the perfect way to spend some time together!! All in all... This resort and honeymoon was more than we could have ever imagined and highly recommend it to anyone out there looking for time with their loved one! We flew from calgary, Alberta, Canada, which was a really long flight there and home, but we would do it again in a heart beat!! The cost of the entire trip was definitely more than going to a resort in Mexico, (which was our first idea for the honeymoon) and because we flew from so far away, the flights cost as much as our room! But we would do it again without even thinking twice about it! Definitely recommend this resort, and the excursions to anyone and everyone!! I can truly brag about having the PERFECT honeymoon!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank BicandDit
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Overall the resort is located on a beautiful beach front property with a golf course. I am a Sandals Select member and to write a review that is not 5 Stars is hard, but I have to be honest. Firstly, the drive from the main airport is about 1 hour. The property is not the newest on the Island, but is beautiful. This resort definitely need a multi million Dollar facelift.

Staff
The personalities among the staff members were mixed. There are a few great staff members but the majority had an attitude which became quite challenging to deal with too often than expected. As a frequent visitor to many Sandals Resorts was the first time I ever encounter such harsh personalities.

Room
Rooms were average nothing spectacular. We even had a chance to see an upgraded room and there wasn't much difference. The accommodations in Jamaica are much more exquisite and comfortable. Bathroom could be way cleaner. Bed was very hard and uncomfortable. I would have expected a comfortable mattress and clean bathroom for the price we paid.

Entertainment
Friday night "street party" is awesome. This is a perfect time to enjoy the local cuisine and entertainment. This was our best night. Other than that, night time entertainment is lacking and weak at this and most sandals resorts. This is a key area that I wish sandals would improve on across the board.

Beach
Not swimmable most of the time. Current is very rough. The scenery however is awesome. If you want a wonderful beach go to Sandals Grande.

Armando's restaurant serves great dinner and breakfast. Our waiter David was awesome. Le piton was ok not great. Breakfast at the Pavilion was ok not great, choices get redundant easily.

Sandals Grande is awesome if I ever return to St Lucia it will definitely be Sandals Grande all the way. Swimmable beach, modern facilities and amenities with a warm and friendly staff.

Front desk did not recognize that we were Sandals Platinum members until the end of our stay. That was disheartening as we missed out on possible upgrades and benefits of members in this category.

Tips
Stay at Sandals Grande if you every choose St Lucia.
Try flying into Castries and your drive will be 5-10 minutes. All flights into Castries are connections.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AckeeTree
Thank you for your review of Sandals La Toc.
We were disappointed to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay. As a frequent guest of Sandals resorts, you are well-aware that we strive to deliver the best vacation experience to our guests and that the issues you experienced are not indicative of the norm for us.
On your future stay with us, please do not hesitate to notify our staff of anything that does not meet your standards. Our team will do their best to see that these matters are put right and that you thoroughly enjoy your time with us.
We certainly hope that this does not deter you from visiting us and we look forward to welcoming you to one of our other gorgeous properties in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!