“We''ll be back”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed April 11, 2013

In a nutshell, if I were stranded at a resort, this is the one for me. This was a belated honeymoon (17 years). The food is great, the room was comfortable and clean, the staff friendly and helpful. Our only issue was a need for more lounges around the pool and the beach but you can usually find one if your patience. By the time the vacation was over you could have poured me onto the plane I was that relaxed. We also did one excursion with Joe Knows Tours. This is a must. Their staff could make even the most uptight person unwined. They love what they do and it shows. RUM PUNCH WHOA WHOA!!!

Room Tip: Pick a room based on the time that you will spend in it. We would choice one with a patio next time...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,516)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is our fifth Sandals resort, I give them 4.5 stars but Sandals La Toc is a 6 star; the service was outstanding, the hands on managerial personnel was the best. I ran a business for years but the service that we received was the best ever. We had a A/C malfunction, called for service at 10 PM, serviced within 10 mintes, broke down again with the general manager (Chris Elliott) on site to remedy the situation. The next morning he appeard to check our satisfaction, moved us to another room (upgrade) to our great satisfaction (I think he works 24 - 7). With three Sandals resorts on the island, the dining choice's was never ending! We vacation in other resort but the Sandals experience is the best. The St Lucia island is safe and you can venture anywhere with no problems. We are currently making plans for another Sandals expreience!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try the rooms in the main building, less walking to everything. Ask for the manager Christopher wh...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 5,616
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I went on vacation to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The island is so very beautiful and the resort is fabulous! We stayed in the Honeymoon Hibiscus Concierge Beachfront Walkout Room from Sunday to Saturday. The room itself was really nice, clean and perfect for us. It had sliding glass doors that opened up to a table and chairs on a small patio with a view of the ocean. Outside our room there were 2 large fire pits that were lit up every night with comfy seating around them, facing the ocean. The staff was great with restocking our refrigerator every day. We loved being so close to the main pool – if we forgot anything it was a short walk back to the room. The restaurants were good, nothing fabulous but the food was decent. Be sure to make your reservations at the restaurants soon after arriving for your stay they book up quickly. It was nice to have a concierge because they booked our dinner reservations for us and was even able to change a reservation at the last minute so that we could eat with some new friends we made. The night life consisted of Cricketers Pub or the Piano Bar. Both were fun but not crazy party atmosphere. However, after having some drinks you can order late night food to eat there (at Cricketers) or take back to your room – and for bar food it was great!

Most all of the staff was awesome and attentive. There was some staff that went above and beyond: Kristen at Neptunes, Jeremiah at Cricketers Pub, George at the main pool, Shem out at the front where the buses pick up, Lance Romance the photographer, Manus and Quincy with the Rum tasting. We only had one bad experience with a staff member, that was Skiva at Neptunes – if possible, at all cost avoid her as your waitress. She was rude, inattentive, and actually rolled her eyes at us when we asked for anything.

The main pool was a lot of fun, we spent time there everyday. If you like to lay in a lounge chair (by the pool) all day I recommend you get up early and put a towel (or something) on your lounge chair to reserve it because by 8:30am there weren’t any chairs left to use, unless you caught someone leaving. Not a big deal for us though because we were in the water most of the day – either the pool or the hot tub. A couple of tours we recommend would be Joe Knows and the Segway tour. We had signed up for scuba diving and paid for it (we are not certified) before we got to sandals. Well, there was an issue with the medical forms and I was unable to be cleared due to previous surgeries. Even though they said that they wouldn’t refund money for less than 24 hours notice, they did refund our money.

Tips: Don’t let anyone take your luggage from the plane to the bus, it’s maybe 10-20 foot distance and then they want a tip - and same thing when leaving (from the bus to the airport). Bring bug spray! I got lots of mosquito bites!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ginjude
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This resort is truly stunning! The grounds staff work very hard to take such exceptional care of this lush, tropical oasis.

We were in a Honeymoon 2 story suite that was in great proximity to everything on the property...about halfway up the bluff road. What makes these suites exceptional though is the Butler Service. We were very happy with our two butlers Christus and William, what a team! From bubble baths to breakfast on our patio to lunch and cocktails brought to us poolside...All I can say is wow! The smile and kind words they always had set the mood of the vacation from start to finish. Truly a team that I would suggest anyone booking into Butler suites ask for.

Food was overall enjoyable with each restaurant having an outstanding item be it an appetizer, dessert or entrée...lots of options for all dining styles. Neptunes has an exceptional salmon and the view is spectacular, Pitons has a delicious shrimp appetizer and the desserts at LaToc were amazing. I was very impressed with the Pavillion breakfast buffet with the best omelettes I have had at any Sandals resort and more choices than I have seen before. Shout Out to the boys at Cricketers! AMAZING chicken wings and Baileys cheesecake..Jeremiah was a true star up in the pub who always stopped to chat and ask us how our day had been (we were 4 oclock regulars)

Do not miss the Friday night street party...cancel any reservations for that night! What a feast...stations set up with crab legs, crawfish, shrimp and more seafood than you will see anywhere else. It gives you a true taste of the island with roasted pig, rotis and oxtail all cooked in authentic Caribbean coalpots! Then the entertainment starts..singing, dancing and just an all around great time with the rum flowing..Props to Playmaker Niger who was a true show stopper!! Canada loves you :)

We did the Joe Knows tour and think that it is a must do for anyone looking for an all around great excursion. JR, Captain Jr and BK are great! They will keep you laughing and entertained the whole way.

Overlooked on resort alot are the photographers...I know a lot of people feel pressured to buy or get tired of being asked to pose but try to remember that they are doing their jobs and if you take some time with them they have a ton of knowledge. Lance and Lugar are awesome..they remember who you are and make you feel like you are at home with a smile and kind word everytime they see you.

LaToc and Pitons has some singing wait staff that are a treat as well..ask Michelle and her friend for a tune :)

If you are planning on using the spa let me suggest a massage up on the bluffs where you can hear the waves and feel the warmth of the sun while you relax (and fall asleep)

All in all this is a resort that makes you feel welcome right from the beginning and doesn't stop until they wave goodbye. I would return in a heartbeat. Michael James and his team are doing it right here...Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Book into Butler suites for the best location for rooms
4  Thank 3kidtraveller
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This resort is breathtaking. It has one of the best views I've seen in the world (second only to Hawaii) and the best I've seen in the Caribbean. The resort is situated on a steep hill with a large cliff drop-off to the ocean. At the bottom of the resort is the beach, the main pool, and the cheaper room. At the top of the hill, on Sunset Bluff, is the cliff that looks out to nothing but ocean. We had a Sunset Bluff 2-story villa with plunge pool. Our room looked directly out onto the steep cliff drop-off with a beautiful unobstructed ocean view. The plunge pool was terrific! It was larger than I expected for a plunge pool, maybe 12 foot by 8 foot or so and 4 foot 6 inch deep, which is just perfect. The water was always just right. The patio does have two loungers and a small table with chairs. It's a bit cramped on the patio deck, but with the view you won't care. I only wish they cut back some of the vegetation that looks a bit like weeds in the way of your view. The lower room numbers are closer to the pool, the higher room numbers (for this particular room type) afford more privacy. The sunset bluff pool is also great. It has a panoramic, unobstructed ocean view all around. You can't see the beach, though. Down at the main part of the resort, the beach is about 1/2 mile. Smaller than I wanted, but still plenty long to walk along. The flag was at yellow the whole time we were there but we found it quite easy to swim in. The sand is tan. I've seen prettier beaches, but it's rare to find a resort with rooms with so very close to the ocean, particularly rooms with plunge pools. That's the main reason I would come back to this resort.

Now for the bad. The food is TERRIBLE. I was hungry the whole time there just because I could not find anything I thought even close to edible. They supposedly are suppose to have healthier food labelled. I was so disappointed to find that was only at a few places, and the choices were a side salad and an all vegetable soup. I was expecting healthier spa food that was planned for nutrition. But even deciding to eat unhealthy food, the food just tasted horrible. I know most Caribbean resorts don't have good food, certainly not all-inclusives, but I was hoping for at least Applebee's quality. That was not the case. The only restaurant that was any good was La Toc. The food there was pretty good. The other problem is the service. Besides the butlers, nearly everyone at this resort has a horrible attitude. They are rude even when you're trying to be super nice to them. And it takes hours to get your food order. The drinks are beyond watered down, and the attendants don't come around often.

The butlers we had did a good job. I liked Sherman and found him one of the few people on the resort who had the right service attitude. However, even with the butlers to help, I found I was receiving less service than I normally would at a resort just because one person can't do the job everyone else should be doing.

I would definitely never even consider staying here without a butler-level room. Without them, you cannot get in to eat at most of the restaurants or even get an umbrella at the pool. If you really, really have to, I have some tips. Call for dinner reservations at La Toc and Kimonos the minute you get into your room. You will probably be put on a wait list. Then call every single night and see if they've had any cancellations or no shows. You might be able to get in that way. For the pool, the main pool has very few umbrellas, and all of those are taken by the butlers very early. I recommend taking the shuttle up to the bluff pool. Nearly all of the chairs up here have umbrellas, and there's usually one or two open. If not, the regular chairs are mostly in the shade, and by mid-day, there's usually at least one no show or someone who leaves so you can get an umbrella chair.

Overall, I would definitely return to this resort. The view and location were so amazing it made the resort amazing. It's very hard to find right on the ocean rooms with plunge pools, and finding exactly that is the reason I would return here. However, there are many things that could be improved upon. They should put actual cabanas at the pools for shade. They need to train the entire staff on being polite to guests and how to serve guests in general. And they need to hire some real chefs and completely redo their menus with food that's actually edible.

Room Tip: The millionaire's suite is the best, but other than that both of the sunset bluff villas with pl...
2  Thank sirenprincess
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently spent 5 days here and were extremely impressed. The faciltiy including the restaurants,activity areas,beach, food and staff were all very good to excellent. Most impressionable were the staff in all areas from supervision to housekeeping to interns demonstrating professionalism, courteousness and offering information. We would not hesitate to recommend this as a destination. Also, we ask that a special thanks be given to Sarah Lobin(Lobien) who was working in the Pavilion and went out of her way to assist us during breakfast or lunches. Good job! Mr. Phil & Beth

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PhilipR256
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your review of Sandals La Toc. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a great vacation with us. It's so encouraging to read that our staff was able to show you the true hospitality and luxury for which we are known.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful visit!

Cassie C.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love Sandals La Toc and are completing our third stay. Our choice of rooms has been to stay in an ocean view suite on the sunset bluff with butler service. The sunsets over the water have been beautiful and the proximity to the pool and Armando's has been great. The food at La Toc here on site and Gordon's at the Grande has been particularly outstanding for food and friendly attentive service. We have one great butler and one not so great but that hasn't effected our overall opinion of the resort. We took the Joes Knows tour and would highly recommend it if you have an interest in seeing the island from a different perspective. Seeing the Pitons and experiencing the mud bath was a highlight. We were on a boat with mechanical problems and that was frustrating. They should have skipped the snorkeling as the water was way too choppy and it was very difficult to climb back on the boat. We love La Toc and hope to return. It is an older resort that is much lower key than the grandness of the Grande but we love it.

Room Tip: Look online at different options. We prefer the suites with a separate sitting room and bedroom. The...
2  Thank WhimseaCovington_WA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!