“Had a great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Maryland
“Had a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

I just returned from a week at Sandals Regency in St. Lucia. I have now been to all the Sandals Resorts- with the exception of Sandals Antigua. We loved the rooms and the quality of food here. The location is very nice as well. The activities offered and all the inclusions are excellent too. Our only complaint was that the service quality was intermittent. At times it was spectacular and at others, HORRIBLE. It left us feeling very confused about the direction Sandals is heading.

I feel like I need to mention the fact that the beaches in St. Lucia are all public. I personally like this chance to mingle with the locals and I met some very nice people but I did hear others complaining, very loudly and rudely, about the children playing on the beach. I understand it is a couples only resort but if this is something that will bother you, you might want to consider another destination. ALL of St. Lucia’s beautiful beaches are public.

All in all I think it is a great resort in a fabulous destination. As a travel agent I won’t hesitate to send my clients back there, but with a warning about the sporadic service! Don’t miss the French Restaurant, La Toc or the Caribbean Restaurant, Pitons. They were both outstanding! The rooms up on the bluff all have spectacular views and extra amenities like butler service but beware that they are quite a distance from the “main” pool area and restaurants. (There is shuttle service 24 hours a day to take you up and down the hill.) All of the regular rooms in the main section have recently been renovated and we heard no complaints from anyone about them while we were there. (With those rooms beware that some don’t offer balconies or patios so be specific when you book them!)

If you have any other questions please email me- I’m happy to talk about my travels! bandjhen@hotmail.com

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Service of some staff members
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bethh1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,724)
Hillsborough, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

Arriving:
My husband and I celebrated our 1-yr. wedding anniversary in St. Lucia at Sandals Regency La Toc, from March 3, 2008 through March 9, 2008, and it was a dream. After landing in Hewanorra airport, we were escorted to our helicopter and flown to the resort - well worth the extra money. Our pilot pointed out the Pitons and remarked on the banana farms, and spoke a little about himself. After about 15 minutes, we landed near the resort, and a cab drove us to Sandals (less than 1 mile I think - very quick ride). Check-in was a whirlwind; we received paperwork, provided our credit card for the extra charges we'd be incurring throughout out trip, and were served rum punch. A shuttle bus drove us up to Sunset Bluffs, which offered a beautiful view of the bay (looking back to
ward the Pavilion), and northwest toward the open sea. We propped the windows open and let in the warm breeze and sound of birds singing. After a few hours our luggage arrived and was conveniently placed inside our room while we had been wandering around. That evening, we tried making reservations at La Toc restaurant, but they were booked solid for a week. The first available reservation at Kimono was Friday 9PM (we arrived Monday night so we had a long time to wait).
Activities:
For two days we were lazy, lazy, lazy. We lounged in the pool, ocean and hot tub. We preferred walking from the Bluffs to the beach area, instead of using the shuttles, which were frequent. We tried kayaking, but when my husband wanted to go past the bay I panicked and we went back to shore. We tried snorkeling for the first time ever, which was awesome! I felt like I was inside a fish tank. One person saw a squid. We did the Catamaran tour to Soufriere, and had great weather. The music was pumping and the rum punch, Piton beer, and pineapple juice were flowing. Ask the crew to play the "Big Bamboo" song; it's hilarious. After docking in Soufriere, some locals tried selling us beaded jewelry as we loaded the bus to go to the caldera. After touring the sulfer springs, we were bused to the Diamond Waterfalls area and walked through botanical gardens before seeing the waterfall. Next, we were bused to Qualibou, where we ate a buffet-style lunch (later, I would read that Qualibou means place of death!). Our lunch was filling: lentils, bread, lamb, pasta, coleslaw, yucca, chicken; all very tasty. The Catamaran tour back to the resort was fun - we stopped to snorkel, but my goggles were bad this time - kept fogging up. Then, while in the water, I felt pinching on my arms... not sure what that was. As we made our way back, the crew opened bottles of champagne, and I was sad to be getting off the Catamaran; by that time I had seen flying fish and a huge sea turtle - very exciting!
Food:
We ate at Arizona, Piton, Armando's and the Pavilion. All were great. We ate at Kimono's as well, and the atmosphere was great, but the food was just ok. I think Kimono's is more about the presentation.
Bar:
All the bartenders had smiles and jokes. One afternoon when it was raining, a bartender told us as long as we're smiling, the sun's always out. What a great philosophy!
Disappointments:
Other travelers. Nothing stinks more than when another traveler has a bad experience and wants to tell the whole world about it. We felt very uncomfortable when others would complain about slow service. Especially discomforting was when a girl went from beach chair to beach chair and ranted about the Sandals staff. They were nothing but nice to me, so I didn't want to hear it.
Overall:
Can't wait to go on our second Sandals trip!!

3 Thank JAKF
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

I just discovered this site while I was planning a trip to Mexico this year and decided to inform you of my experience last year at Sandals and advise you what to do and not to:

(Getting married there, see below)
(If interested in the bad see below)
(Tips/Advice below too)

The good:
The resort was beautiful, fun, and relaxing. The staff was nice and accommodating. Unlike some resorts that say tipping is included, this one its true. The staff is not allowed to accept tips. The room was cleaned and restocked daily- nothing was stollen (although we did use our safe). The resort was also very clean and well maintained. Chairs and towels were always available by the pool, however rafts were hard to come by.

The restaurants were amazing. Great food and drinks! There are so many to chose from we ate somewhere different every night. The ones where you make reservations just plan ahead the night before. The Italian resturant is the best, plan it for your special night. At the right time you can get a table with the most amazing view of the sunset.

Our Wedding:
First and foremost the wedding coordinator was amazing. I was worried about the idea of not planning the details intil our arrival but it was easy and unstressful. The day of our arrival we made an appointment with the coordinator. In the appointment we went through a catolog where we chose everything form the cake to the flowers. We decided to go with the basic "free" wedding but paid extra for a DVD for the family and friends that were unable to make it. We had some concern that we would get second class treatment because we didnt get the upgraded package but that was not the case. They decorations were just as lovely and the food was just right. Dont forget to bring your first dance music -we forgot- but we chose from their collection (very nice anyway). We planned to have our wedding on the beach but a last minute change put us it the gazebo because of the rough waters. I was happy because it turned out to be a better location anyway. I am so happy we decided not to have the big wedding at home. Instead we had an amazing wedding-moon and didn't spend nearly as much. Cant beat that for a free wedding!

Tips/ Advise:
-Must get of the resort and see the island! We took a tour of the island with a taxi driver we came across one day drive to and from town. His name is Lenny, great guy. We told us he did tours for $20 bucks a person. Our wedding guests plus a couple we met on the resort all went on a day trip to Historic Forts, the Piton Mountains, a volcano you could drive through, waterfalls, and botanical gardens with mineral baths. The best part of the whole trip!! A tour booked through the resort was probably closer to $100/ person. I have his buisness card- Lennys Taxi Service I'm not alowed to leave his number but you may contact me if your interested

-Bring formal wear for the evenings. We didnt know this, my husband had to go to town to pick up closed toe shoes (opps)

-The drive from the airport is rough, the roads are not great. You get to see the east coast of the island. Taxi drivers were the only people we tipped.

-Upgrade to better room (see below)

Be aware:
We upgraded to an ocean view room hoping it would be a better experience but we were wrong. The building we were place in was old and needed remodeling. The standard rooms are in the same building they just place you in an upper floor where you have a view of the ocean.

The room was extemely small, enough room for a bed, small desk, and tv. The bathroom only fit one person at a time and the window did not close in the bathroom, it was a brick hole with a mesh screen to keep the bugs out (not the noise or in). If your looking for privacy, like on a honeymoon, not good. Plus, on hot days you will sweat while in the shower. The employee breakroom was just below us and could hear them socializing from our room.

The closet had no doors - for some you may not care but for me I did. We planned to get married at the resort so I needed a place to hang my dress so my fiance could not see. I used a blanket to hang over the closet.

Worst part of the whole trip!!!! : Our air conditioner broke the night before our wedding. We woke up in a sweat and could figure out why. I went down to get my hair done and can back to an oven. I tried calling maitenance several times with no luck. I then spoke to a manager who assured me someone would be up to fix it. Now try pulling on a silk dress while sweating (not fun). My hair begun to stick to my back and my make-up dripping off of me. The room was at least 10 degrees warmer than outside. Once outside I was fine, had a lovely wedding. We brought back our few faimly members to our room to exchange gifts and change (they were all staying at different resorts). The air conditioner was still not fixed. I stompped down stairs to the front desk in my wedding dress, hoping this would get them into action, it did. Because the room was so small we sat on the bed and in the few chairs and exchanged gifts. We spent the day on the resort until we said goodby to our guests and returned to our room for our first night as a married couple. Was the air conditioner fix? Yes and no- The cool air came out of it but it sounded like a harley motercycle. That night we decided we didn't want to be disturded so we did not complain. The choice now was to not get sleep because of the heat or no sleep because of noise. The next day we call management again but no luck. It was our now our last day so we enjoyed ourselfs on the resort. When we returned home I wrote a letter to the Sandals resort but got a rude response. They not only mocked me but said I should have complained to a manager while there.
Side note-
My family stayed at other resorts. My mom and sister stayed at an all-inclusive, The Almond, it was half the price of Sandals and just remodeled. I got a chance to see their room. It was huge, it had a sitting area with a couch and coffee table. Their bath was a garden tub. Now mind you they had NO ungrade. Their resort was just as nice, they had no complaints, food and drinks were just as great. Remember half the price! My monther inlaw stayed at a non-all-inclusive. Her room was huge. It had a seperate living area as well. Every night her bed was turned down, they layed her robe out and lit candels.

• Liked — The Island
  • Disliked — Room & Management
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NicandDav88
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

We stayed at the Regency March 3-10 th,2008.This was our first time ever at a Sandals Resort and we were happy with our choice.The only problem we had was the fact that we were put in the wrong room.The room was terrible and not as described at all.The next day we spoke to Dean the guest service manager and we were relocated to the correct room.Thought we died and went to heaven.The first room reminded us of a dorm room at a university.from then on our trip was fantastic.We visited the other two resorts and each had their own good qualities but I was still glad I chose The Regency.I loved the cliff pool and the fact that you had more choices of places to eat.The beach is rough and difficult to swim in but The Grande and Halcyon have nicer water to swim in.If you are a person who loves to hang at a pool the Regency would be the best one.As far as eating at the restaurants where you need reservations ....we did not bother.We were aware that it was nearly impossible to get reservations from reading other reviews so we stuck with non-reservations to avoid hassle.This worked well for us as there were many places between the three resorts to eat without them.I enjoyed The Pier and The Arizona .
We found the staff very friendly and yes they are laid -back and some would interpret that as slow compared to service in North America...but we are on vacation and not in a rush.The island is beautiful and yes the roads are windy and hilly and can upset your stomach however driving on some of our roads home can make one feel as though they are on a roller coaster.
The resort itself is very hilly and may be difficult for the infirm or elderly.There are shuttles to take you from one area to another.We chose to walk for the exercise.
I would definitely stay at The Regency again.I love the sound of the waves crashing and the view of the ocean as you sit and eat your breakfast at The Pavillion restaurant on the mornings we ate breakfast there.Despite other reviews I found the resort clean.I saw the occasional bat and maybe a rat at night but not near the restaurants.We do have rats and bats in North America too remember.

• Liked — Variety restaurants and the view
  • Disliked — limited watersports
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank maritimegirl1966
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

This resort is a beautiful little village on a magnificent piece of property which extends from sea level at the beach up a steep half mile hill to "The Bluff", which has breathtaking views of the Caribbean sea. (Constant shuttles available; guests do not have to walk this steep hill)

The staff is helpful, friendly and very hard working. The dining options - which include the other two Sandals properties in St. Lucia - are excellent, varied, and were too numerous to try all during our ten night stay.

The ocean is very active on La Toc bay; not a swimmers beach, but a marvelous beach to walk along and take in the breaking waves; I walked two miles each afternoon. The water is usually not so rough that the guests cannot go into the ocean; just not suitable for casual swimming.

Nightime entertainment included some very talented bands. The piano bar later at night was always a fun group of people. The three pool areas were large enough to accommodate all guests; unlike the problems we have had in the past on cruise ships. I never got the "crowded" feeling anywhere on the resort.

The weather in March was magnificent. While there is an occasional rain shower, it is brief (the interior of the island is a lush rain forest). Bring your mosquito repellent if you are like me and a frequent target of these nightime critters.

• Liked — All-Inclusive
  • Disliked — Length of time it took to fly to St. Lucia
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank roadtripblondie
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

WE just returned from a week at this resort to celebrate our son's wedding which was held there. After seeing some of the negative reviews posted regarding this resort, I would like to say that I think some people are just impossible to please. We had a really wonderful time. Really pleasant weather and we really enjoyed the resort. We had a water's edge suite and I loved being able to hear the ocean all night long. Our son had one of the honeymoon villa's with a plunge pool out on the point and the views from there were incredible. We all had butler service and they really enhanced our stay. They were available all the time for any little thing we would ask for. They really went out of their way to see to it that our wishes were taken care of. They were always on every situation and knew which families were traveling together and what activities we were doing at which times and always planned accordingly so that all the details were taken care of. Having butler service ensured us getting reservations at the restaurants that fill up quickly and tours etc. Also, by having butler service, you do not have to pay extra to eat at Gordon's (which otherwise you would) and therefore it is worth the difference right there. The resort is definately older and you notice little details that could use some updating, but it didn't take away from our enjoyment of the place. We visited the other Sandal's resorts in St. Lucia and we were glad we stayed at the Regency. It seemed to have a more quaint "localized" feel about it. The beach was more natural and I liked the waves. The strand of beach was somewhat narrow and often the red flags were up which meant you were not allowed to swim. I feel like they were a little overcautious about it, but since I am used to the Pacific's huge waves, these seemed a lot milder. Still, you needed to be careful getting through the breakers, they were powerful, once past them though and it was really quite calm. The Grande seemed a little too well "Grande" or Vegas like and we didn't care for the waveless beach. There was more boat traffic there and so you only had a small roped off area to swim. The service at the Regency was great in every way. We thought the spa was very nice and had very pleasant treatments, although somewhat pricey. I don't like the way they push products after every treatment but if you say no thanks, they back off immediately. We really liked Gordon's restaurant the best, the food was great and the ambience out on the pier was wonderful. We liked Armando's too, especially for breakfast and lunch. The views from outside are amazing. Kimono's was pretty decent. La Toc was somewhat a dissappointment after hearing how great it was, however, for the wedding, we had a candlelight dinner in the gazebo that was provided by La Toc and it was great. Overall, the food is not like eating in the Napa Valley but for an all inclusive resort, it was quite enjoyable. We liked our room. It was spacious, and nicely appointed, very homey with a british colonial decor which reflected the culture of the island. There were a few things in our room that really needed to be fixed and that was frustrating but again, we didn't let that spoil the reason we were there. Everyone in our party loved the rainforest canopy tour where you ride seven zip lines. The drive itself is beautiful and it's a great way to see the rainforest. The wedding was everything we hoped it would be, the staff paid attention to details and all went smooth. The most relaxing way to have a wedding. The cake was delicious, the steel drum band sounded great and the pictures turned out incredible. The wedding staff are very experienced. The wine was decent, as was the champagne, and they had a good selection of alcohol. Overall, we're very glad our son chose this place for such a special occasion.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank djrae
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

We went to Sandal St. Lucia the last week of February. This is our 3rd Sandals vacation. Two other couple came with us. We had a great time. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Our group was upgraded to an ocean front suite. The view was fanatastic. I recommend the snorkling trip. I wish that we had time to do it twice. We visited the two other Sandals while we were there. We enjoyed the atomosphere at this one the most. This was our favorite Sandals trip so far.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Vacationer19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!