“Fabulous Time at Sandals La Toc”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
San Francisco, California
“Fabulous Time at Sandals La Toc”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband & I went to Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia on Jan 9th for a 10 days 5th year wedding anniversary. Not knowing what to expect from the good to bad reviews we've read prior to going, what we have found is as follows:
1) Our room was great and we were glad we didn't spend the extra money for the concierge or butler rooms....

2) Restaurant- just book the restaurant as soon as you arrive! Usually it is done in the morning by the Pavillon...our favorite which didn't require any reservations was Neptunes, which is our favorite for lunch and Nerecia the hostess was extremely accomodating and made our lunch time meal very special. Tamarin at La Toc restaurant is quite funny and we enjoy having her for the nights we've had dinner there.
3) Our maid, Alice was always very sweet and our room was always immaculate after she's finished cleaning it!
4) Let's talk about fun around the pool: Dara one of the four playmakers, always takes the activies up a notch! Never a dull moment when she is around!!! She's what makes La Toc fantastic and memorable.
Joe Knows Tours should not be missed especially with Big Al around...(tour guide)
All in all, had a wonderful and we regret not booking this longer than 10 days!!

Room Tip: No need to choose butler or concierge rooms, you're not going to be hanging out in there...only...
5 Thank Marietta T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,833)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I just recently stayed at Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia and we really enjoyed our trip. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was fab at all of the restaurants. You need to make reservations at the restaurants as soon as you arrive because they fill up fast. I appreciated the excellent service we received from the staff. We were always greeted with a smile and they were quick to help when needed. A few staff members went out of their way on several occasions to make us feel comfortable. Thank you to the GM Michael James and our friend Terry who helped to solve our transportation issues and thanks to Ricky the cute DJ who kept us dancing into the night!

If you want to escape the grind of life and really get away and relax this is the place. "No pressure no problem."

We will definitely visit again!!

Room Tip: Honey room suites and up are the best rooms.
6 Thank reneet678
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I decided to do a destination wedding and St. Lucia was our pick! We had a group of 18 come with us to share our special day. I was very worried about not really knowing what the resort was like and some of the reviews on here scared me. I didn't want to have my wedding at a place that was "horrible."

Trust me - this resort is far from horrible! It is very pretty, great pool, great restaurants, and entertainment almost every night! Everyone in our group had a FANTASTIC time.

The ride from the UVF airport is about 50 minutes and has a lot of turns.....it did make a few of us in our a group a bit sick. It was nice to see the island though and our shuttle driver was very knowledgable and explained a lot about St. Lucia to us. He even stopped so we could try coconut milk, a banana from the trees, and take scenic pictures. Once you get to the resort, they greet you with a cold towel and a drink.

My husband and I stayed in a room right by Kimono's and the Herbie's Piano Bar that had a great balcony and living area downstairs, with a nice bedroom and bathroom upstairs. We had the Butler service, which was great to order room service whenever we wanted (late nights usually) :) It was also nice to have your own fridge in your room that was always stocked so you could enjoy a beverage before going out for the evening. Otherwise, we didn't use our Butler as much as others did I'm sure. Our families stayed in the main area around the pool and all had very nice rooms. The resort had called a week prior asking if anyone in our group wanted to "upgrade" from the Deluxe room to the next level for $250. Only one did upgrade prior to arrival, but once we arrived to the resort, everyone was already upgraded at no additional cost. My parents even were upgraded to their own villa overlooking the ocean at no cost. Also, wait to book any tours until you get to the resort. You can bargain and get them for cheaper. They will tell you they are filling up, but we asked around and the resort is only ever at capacity of 75%.

The restaurants are all very nice. We ate a lot of the time in the morning down in the main area by the pool. One complaint is the milk does not taste very good at all. Breakfast was probably the one meal we were always least impressed with at the entire resort, but the lunches and dinners were great. Kimono's, Armando's, Neptunes, La Toc, Cricketer's Pub were the restaurants we ate at and all were very good. My favorite food was the pizza though - it was delicious!

We were treated very well by all the staff at the resort - Fat Boy (Bernard) made our entire group feel very welcomed and accomodated us in anyway possible. He was awesome! Our wedding coordinator, Shaundell, was an absolute sweetheart and such a pleasure to work with. Jameson, our photographer, was exceptional and very creative with his photos. This was an area I was concerned about as well, but he didn't disappoint.

We did the ziplining through a company on the beach called "Son of a Man." It was cheaper than going through Sandals. There were around 9 zip lines - it was a lot of fun. We were skeptical when we were driving there about where they were taking us, because they said it wasn't far away and it seemed like we were driving for awhile. When we arrived at the zipline center, it was very commerical and well kept so we felt better once we saw the facility.

We also did the Joe Knows Tour through the beach from the actual "Joe Knows" company (in yellow shirts). The Son of a Man will try to tell you they do they same tour, but they don't! We had a large group so we got our own private boat and what an absolute blast everyone had! JR and Captain Big Willy were our guides and talk about 2 guys that know how to show guests a great time! We went snorkeling (much better snorkeling than the free snorkeling through Sandals), mud bath from an active volcano, went to a waterfall you can stand under, served a lunch, and were given tours to the Pitons and learned a lot more about St. Lucia through this trip. They serve you Rum Punch or Rum/Coke throughout the day. We wanted to go shop downtown Castries in the market area, and they arranged for shuttles to come get us to take us back to the resort. They know how to run a business! Outstanding!

There are cats that roam around the resort....they are friendly and pretty much mind their own business. I'd rather see cats roaming around than rodents. There aren't a lot, as I started to recognize that I'd see the same ones each day. The only other recommendation we would have liked was to have drink servers around the pool. If you wanted a drink, you had to go over to the swimup bar. Lastly, some people complain about the small beach, but we thought it was perfect. Yes the water is a bit more rough, but it didn't stop people from enjoying the waves.

Overall, the island is GORGEOUS, Sandals was very accomodating, and our wedding day was PERFECT!!!! Everyone in our group had a great time and I wish my husband and I could've stayed a week longer!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Ashlee D
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We have just come home from an amazing vacation. I traveled with my husband and 2 friends (another couple). The 4 of us went to Sandals Negril last year and all of us preferred Sandals La Toc. St Lucia is a beautiful island and its hard not to fall in love with the island or the people on it.

It was long flight, but well worth it. Once we got off the plane, the Sandals lounge was straight ahead and after changing quickly into shorts and having some rum punch, we were off to the resort. Our drive in was in the dark and we didn't see the drop off (some places on the road were pretty scary, but our drivers did well). Of course, everyone uses thier horn like crazy.

We ate at every restaurant on the property except The Pitons (the night we went, there was a 90 minute wait-its a pretty small restaurant and we got there at 7:30- go earlier). My favourite by far was La Toc (yummy French food) but we were pleasantly suprized with the meal at The Pavillion (heck, the Saturday night we were there, they turned The Pavillion into a steak house and it was yummy). We ate lunch and dinner at Armando's (also very good). The two fav drinks of our group were "Pink Lady" and "No pressure" (althoug the dirty banana and purple rain was good too).

I went to the spa twice...don;t book in advance..they had great daily specials at cheaper prices.

The only odd thing was (we are all scuba divers) if you want to participate in snorkel or scuba, you have to get in a bus and take a 10 minute to the marina. After a couple of days, we could do this blindfolded. BUT it was a quick ride and I can't day enough nice things about the water sports guys...especially Wendell. (Oh and we saw pretty amazing things under the sea- the seahorses were my favourite).

We had red flags on the beahc the first couple of days and yellow the remainder of the trip (listen to the red flags- 3 out of 4 of us got knocked over and dragged into the surf).

We went to the street party and beach party- food was just OK. They close a few of the restaurants when they have these, so this would be a good time to check out the other resorts. We went to The Grande and had dinner at Toscanini's. We didn't see much of the resort, but from what we didn see, it did have the nicer calmer beach, but we liked the decor of La Toc better. We also noted that the Grande was already 30 minutes away and if you wanted to dive the Pitons (which was 40 mins from our resort), you would be spending a lot of time getting to and from the dive sites.

The entertainment was better here than at Negril. One band in particular (X Tent) was just incredible. The drummer is the main singer and they are all just great. The often had singers during dinner at The Pavillion and the husband and wife team there on Saturday night (her name was Sally Elwin) were the best.

The gift shop has some pretty amazing deals on jewelry (I got two very pretty bracelets- and a cover up too), but the jewelry store has some pretty pushy employees. We avoided that place for the most part (BUT very nice pieces I will admit).

We did three tours- the zipline (which was awesome but if you can't do stairs, pass on this one), the segway tour (Sheldon was amazing and this tour was great) and the "M&M" tour offered through watersports. They take you to Margot bay (we bought a t shirt and two ball caps) and then off to Souffriere for a trip to the mud baths (which is stinky but cool). This trip was cheaper than anything offered at the tour desk and didn't eat up a whole day. We spoke to several people who did the Joe Knows tour and loved it, but the M&M tour as better for us.

My fav employee was Marquis at The Pavillion. He was sweet and thoughtful and remember our names from day 1.

If anyone has questions, please inbox me.

Room Tip: Unless you like to hike, request a room NOT on the hill. Of course, shuttles leave frequently from t...
4 Thank Lizboo11
London, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I am very shocked by all the negative reviews about Sandals La Toc....we just returned last night and had an AMAZING time....we can not say enough great things....

The airport greeted us with a "Sandals" lounge welcome...rum punch, and a short wait for our taxi....the taxi driver was great as well...very informative, and entertaining!...the drive is about 50 minutes...but it is like you are on an excursion right away!...some much information!...so helpful!...it was perfect!

You are then greeted at the lounge and assigned your rooms...with a short wait for an escorted delivery to your room!...we stayed in the Honeymoon Deluxe room and it was like a mini VILLA...or B & B feel....it was PERFECT!

We loved all of the food!...and we loved all of the helpfullness that was felt throughout the resort!

The shuttles were always around when you needed them...the security made you feel very safe!

The "CRICKETER'S" pub on the third floor was extrememly entertaining...great food, great premium drinks!..."Tom" is very accomadating!...and the guys are hilarious!!!

The Swim Up Bar bartendars were VERY accomodating as well!...always making sure everything was just how we liked it!

We went on a "Joe Knows" excursion....we even met "Joe" at the resort...he was hilarious!!! ...."BK" and "Captain Donovan" were both excellent while on our excursion.....we took the speed boat to Marigot Bay...."BREATHTAKING"...and to Soufriere to the sulphur springs mud bath and then the waterfall....they showed us bat caves, and many more interesting stops along the way....they were both very informative!

The boys enjoyed the golf course...as the ladies went to the Red Lane Spa....the ladies at the spa really know their stuff...very professional and well trained!

We would recommend this for anyone!!!!!!....a great change from your "typical" all inclusive!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank darlene v
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I am writing this review as I'm sitting at the neptunes restaurant at the resort. I just came here a day ago and I am ready to leave. Absolutely horrendous. The rooms are small, the food portions are tiny and tasteless and the "top shelf" liquor is Smirnoff... The wait at eaxh of the restaurants is 45 mins and then you wait the same timw amount in between courses. Need I say more. Would not suggest it to anyone and would never come back.

• Stayed February 2012
17 Thank Lijas25
SRICS, Manager at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Warm greetings from Sandals Resorts International! You are very important to us and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please e-mail us at (customerservice@sandals.com). We look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband and I just came back from La Toc. We went for our honeymoon and we could not be happier with our decision to go to St Lucia and stay at Sandals La Toc!

The accommodations were great. We stayed in a two-story, one bedroom honeymoon suite with the butler service. The room was incredibly clean and comfortable. The downstairs had a living area with a comfortable sofa, flat screen TV, mini bar, and small table. The upstairs was the bedroom, which had a very comfortable bed, and a good-sized bathroom and closet. We were in the perfect location (#8 on the map if you look on their website) because we were in the middle, between the restaurants and pools. It was a short walk to everything.

The service was incredible. We arrived at the airport and once we went through customs, we were brough to an area exclusively for Sandals guests and had a short (5-10 minutes) wait for our taxi to bring us to the resort. Yes, the roads are a little scary because of the sharp turns, but our driver was great and educated us about the island. It took a litte over an hour to arrive to the resort. We were greeted by our butler, Denver, and brought into the Buters suite to check in. He then brought us to our room, gave us a tour, brought in our luggage and offerred to unpack for us (which we refused). He answered all of our questions and let us be. The next day we were introduced to Donovan, our second butler, who was just as wonderful. They made our dinner reservations, brought us a cooler of beer to the pool when we wanted it, and helped my husband plan a couple surprise excursions throughout the week. You are given a cell phone to call the butler whenever you need him. I definitely recommend the butler service. The rest of the staff at the resort is very nice and accommodating. They go out of their way to ensure each guest has a great experience.

We did a few excursions while we were there. We went zip lining, which was SO much fun. I definitely recommend it. It is about an hour drive from the resort (you are picked up in a taxi with the other resort guests who are doing the same excursion). The staff at the zip lining site was very fun and safe. The views are incredible and it is definitely something I would like to do again. It is also not as scary as I thought it would be! There are a lot of stairs to climb throughout the afternoon, so I would be mindful of that if you arent able to do too much activity.

The second excursion we did was the Sea and Sea Catamaran. You are picked up from the resort and taken to the port where your boat will be. There were more people than I expected, but it was not overly crowded. There is a bar that serves complimentary soda and water. The boat took us through Marigo Bay, to the Pitons, snorkeling, and we got off the boat to see the volcano (you could choose to see the volcano or do the mud bath) and have lunch. The volcano was not that great, so I would try the mud bath if I could do it again. Overall, this was a fun day. It was a long day (about 7 hours) so bring sunscreen!!!

The third excursion we did was the ATV ride. You should definitely do this!! I had never been on an ATV, but I had a ton of fun! The only complaint was that it was too short of a day. It is only a couple of hours, but the views are incomparable. The guides bring you to a beach privately owned by a small family who lives in teepees on the land. We were able to stop, take pictures, go in the water and walk on the beach. The guides brought drinks and snacks. This was our favorite exursion.

I will just say, the food was SO good! Every restaurant and every meal was really good.

Anyway, overall, it was an amazing stay. Everything was great and we truly cannot wait to go back and stay longer. We stayed for 6 nights, but recommend to stay 9, if you are going to do excursions. You lose the first day when youre travelling and your last day because of travelling. We would have liked more days to spend at the pools and beach.

Room Tip: The butler suites are worth the extra money!
7 Thank Kelly K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!