“Kayaking”

St Lucia Kayak Fishing Tour
$105.00*
St Lucia Snorkeling and Marigot Bay Kayaking Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Get the opportunity to explore the ultimate natural beauty of St. Lucia. We provide a truly Caribbean kayaking experience. Explore what nature has to offer with your kayaking tour.Our tours uses expedition touring kayaks and sit on top units all with rudders and storage hatches. Tours comprises a training component especially for the use of the decked units. The tour can include Marigot Bay which runs along the sheltered west coast of the island into the Roseau River or Pigeon Island where you can kayak, snorkel and visit the historical Fort Rodney.
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Kayaking”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a so so experience with DFH. The kayaking itself was fun, and it was a beautiful area that we went (Marigot Bay and Rouseau River). Communication was average prior to arriving in St Lucia. We did accidentally give them the wrong date to do the excursion and were very appreciative of them being fine with changing the date and coming back 2 days later to pick us up for the day we intended. Once we actually got to Marigot Bay to start the excursion, the staff was just so so. We had to ask a lot of questions to be where we needed to go and it seemed like we got easily thrown to the side. Even during the actual kayaking, it didn't seem like there was much care taken to make sure that our boat fit to us, that we understood how to use it, and such. It wasn't a negative experience, but all in all the experience was just so so. I wouldn't necessarily give it a negative review but I wasn't crazy about how we were treated by the staff.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank shanesan
DFH_Kayaking, Manager at DFH Kayaking, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Shanesan,

Thank you very much for your review, glad to know you enjoyed the kayaking tour. Sorry you felt the staff was not helpful to you but after investigating your claim we could not find any issues as we also asked other clients who kayaked on the same tour with you and they were very content and really enjoyed the staffs interaction with them.

The reviews here show how much the staff really show a great tour.

We however do thank you.

Sarasota, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I chose DFH as an alternate to a crowded ship's excursion on our one-day port stop in St. Lucia. It turned out to be one of the best choices I made on the cruise. DFH was very prompt in answering my emails arranging my tour with them. They picked me up at the ship's dock and then drove me to their small shop on the water in Marigot Bay, a scenic 30 minutes' away. It turned out that it was just me and the guide in our separate kayaks for as long as I wanted to stay (about 3 1/2 hours). Good instruction, good equipment, fantastic scenery -- in the bay, in the ocean along towering cliffs, in a river and a lagoon; then they drove me back to my ship. Maybe my best kayaking experience ever. I had hoped to do some snorkeling also but the bay was a bit cloudy due to runoff from recent rains. I would definitely do this trip again! They do a terrific job.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank cbchrc
Burley, Idaho
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“DFH provides great kayaking as well!”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I found DFH on the internet and decided I wanted to try them instead of the kayaking experience provided thru our cruise boat the Carnival Victory. We were not disapointed. I contacted them thru email and booked it in advance. Since we went during slow season we got a private tour of marigot bay, the coastline and the River in St. Lucia. It was such a great experience that included breathtaking views, fresh guava, and we learned a lot about the island from our guide Mark. The staff was fantastic and the experience was top notch. When we return to St. Lucia, we will definetly contact DFH again.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank love2bike1924
Europe
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Roseau River trip was unforgettable”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Of the many excursions I did during my two weeks on St. Lucia, the kayaking trip with Dive Fair Helen was one of the best. The three-hour journey through Marigot Bay and the Roseau River system was truly magical.

First, just seeing Marigot Bay from a kayak was extremely cool. The unusually deep bay is especially impressive from low on the water. Of course, if you're staying nearby, seeing Marigot Bay wouldn't necessarily be a huge perk, but for me this alone was a treat -- the only other time I saw the bay was on a somewhat rushed stop as part of a larger tour.

But this was just the start! The next cool thing was going out into the sea. Being able to see the cliffs, and the water crashing against them, was humbling and dramatic from down on the sea's surface.

From there we headed south, then back east toward a deserted beach. We brought our kayaks up on the beach, then pulled them into another body of water a bit further inland. As we kayaked down the river, it was incredibly quiet and peaceful. After a bit we came to a narrow channel lined with mangrove trees that formed a canopy over us. This was absolutely amazing and my favorite part of the trip. I've attached some photos, but they don't do it justice. The feeling of being in the mangrove channel, with no one else around, was incredibly tranquil and unique.

From there we explored other channels, most of them wider. Along many of these shores were coconut, banana, and breadfruit trees, as well as other greenery. We could hear birds calling, and we saw a few as well -- egrets, I think, though I'm not sure. Occasionally, our guide, Bernette (not sure on the spelling!), pulled over to collect coconuts (and when we returned to the bay she would cut them open so we could drink from them).

Through the entire trip, we never saw any other people, and it was refreshing to be completely out of the tourist fray. It was great exercise as well, and I felt I'd fully earned the Piton and huge vegetarian omelette I enjoyed at Doolittle's while waiting for the shuttle back north.

A few suggestions: Bring a waterproof camera that you can wear around your neck. I brought a regular camera in a watertight bag, and it was stressful trying to occasionally extricate the camera from the bag, take snapshots, and secure it again, all while trying to keep up with the rest of the group. Plus, with the wave action, I was lucky nothing bad happened.

I'd also suggest bringing sun screen or just covering up. I wore a long-sleeved rash guard and a knee-length travel skirt over a bathing suit, and I worried about getting too much sun on my knees and legs, though I didn't burn. I wore a wide-brimmed hat, but it kept blowing off -- one with a chin strap would have been better.

Lastly, this may sound obvious, but make sure you've eaten a real breakfast before you start a morning kayak trip. On the ride down from Gros Islet I became slightly hungry and hoped I could buy a snack somewhere at Marigot Bay. But after arriving I was immediately transported to the kayak shop, which is on the side of the bay where there is not much in the way of quick food. I asked at Doolittle's if I could buy a piece of fruit or something, and they said I'd have to cross the bay, which there wasn't time for. I toughed it out and it wasn't terrible, but I wished I'd planned better.

Despite my imperfect preparation, this was an awesome trip! Considering the cost was only $70USD, and it included round-trip shuttle service from Gros Islet to Marigot Bay, it was also a great value. Dive Fair Helen was a pleasure to deal with -- they answered all my e-mails promptly and were very accommodating to me, even though I was a solo traveler. Our guide, Bernette, was wonderful. If you want to get off the beaten path and try something a little different, book this trip!

Visited July 2011
12 Thank sazsark
Williamsburg, VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful Time Kayaking”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

A driver was sent to pick us up at the port since we came into St Lucia with a cruise ship, and only there for a short time period. We had many WONDERFUL email exchanges with Michael, who seems to always be at his computer since the response time was fantastic. He was eager to answer any and all questions. He seemed very friendly which made us feel very comfortable. After being picked up we were brought to a water taxi which took us to Marigot Bay. There we were given a choice of one person or tandem kayak. Since we never did this before we wanted to share one kayak. Our Guide, a lovely woman named Burnet, made learning to kayak very easy. The key she said was not rowing but using your core. This became so much fun for us. We kayaked out into the Caribbean Ocean for a brief time and then into a river area. WE enjoyed seeing the sights. The guide would stop every once and awhile to point stuff out. She even picked guava for us. When we returned to the Bay we could have snorkeled there and used the beach until we wanted to be taken back to the ship. It had been raining on and off and we decided to ask for the ride back to the ship in order to enjoy walking around town before we needed to be back on the ship.
Both Burnet and Mary, another Dive Fair Helen employee were so very nice to us. Our belongings were safely stored in a locker. I would return and use them again. Next time, maybe a Discover Scuba dive with them since they do that too.
WE always felt safe and enjoyed this trip.

Visited April 2011