“Amazing honeymoon”

Villa Beach Cottages
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed July 9, 2005

If I were to write how wonderful everything was at Villa Beach Cottages, I would be writing a long essay. The staff was amazing - when we arrived, we learned that we were upgraded and given a bottle of wine to celebrate our new marriage. Colin helped us out with great dinner recommendations - you must go to the Coal Pot and to Chic for nice dinners.

The hotel is right on the beach, and there is a grocery store down the road. There are always taxis around (ask for Charles or Tony) and they also served as terrific tour guides. We actually had planned to go to another hotel/resort after 3 days at VBC - after one night at the other resort, we switched back to VBC for the rest of our vacation: the best decision we ever made.

When we return to St. Lucia, we will definitely be staying here again. It is a great value and everyone is so friendly!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank librarangrrrl

Vienna/Austria
Reviewed July 6, 2005

The Villa Beach Cottages has best location just a few steps from the very heart of the city of Castries. The Villa Beach Cottages is a place where every moment spent becomes a time- treasured memory. I'm also in the hotel business and I promise you that I've never seen such a lovely and gorgeaus property directly next to the beach with such a compitant and friendly hospitality. I really loved every stay at the Villa Beach Cottages.
The good thing at Villa Beach Cottages is the combination between Caribbean elegance, comfort with modern functionality. It gives you the real feeling to be at home and If you don't object I will spend also my 11th time in St.Lucia at the Villa Beach !!!!

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
austin, texas
Reviewed June 28, 2005

my wife and i just returned from villa beach cottages and really loved the resort and especially the staff. the rooms are very nice and clean. the kitchen had all of the items that you could want. your room is as close to the beach and water as you could ever want to be, which is very nice compared to some of the mega resorts. the staff was fantastic, very friendly and helpful. our trip was cut short due to the death of my sister in law and the staff and management was so understanding and helpful in our need to return to the states. they refunded our unused nights, and we hope to return soon to spend the rest of our vacation with them. our driver austin edwards was great in getting us back to the airport in time to catch our flight...thanks...i would highly recommend the villa beach cottages. thank you staff for the flowers and fresh fruit basket. we were able to give them to a young couple next door to enjoy. thanks for a wonderful but short stay.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2005

You could not find a more perfect location--literally 10-20 feet from the ocean. The room was perfect and in good condition. We had a villa and enjoyed very much cooking our dinner and eating it on our porch overlooking the sunset and listening to the tree frogs. The Wharf, restaurant next door, is a very nice place to sip a beer and meditate on the sea, though it closes at 6, so make it an afternoon, not evening, beer.
The staff here went out of their way to make us feel welcome, yet they were not intrusive and it never felt insincere. They genuinely wanted us to enjoy ourselves. Take advantage of the day trips they can arrange for you (horseback riding was wonderful), and learn to use the bus. It really is the cheapest and easiest way to get around.
We spent two lovely weeks here, and I am already wondering how soon we can possibly get back. But note, this is not somewhere to go if you want everything arranged for you in a daily schedule of activities and all your meals provided. This is your own little private hideaway and you will be required to figure out what you want to do on a daily basis (if you want to do anything but lie on the beach and relax).
Answering other reviews here, we didn't note any bugs (other than mosquitoes that were easily dealt with by spraying ourselves), and the pool is not a swimming pool--it is a plunge pool to rinse off after the ocean, or just to cool off. We loved it.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank LilyinVirginia
Barbican, London, UK
Reviewed June 25, 2005

What a pleasure to once again return to Villa Beach Cottages. This must
be our 6th visit. We just can't resist coming back to this charming establishment.
You congenial host, Colin, is a mine of St Lucian information, where to go, what to do and very importantly where to eat. The warm and friendly staff couldn't be more helpful.
As the name implies these are cottages and as such are fully equiped for self catering, and even include a BBQ grill.
While all their accomdation is good value we feel that the little extra spent on one of their newer villas is well worth while.
While renting a car is not necessary it is an option we chose to get the best out of touring St Lucia as a very beautiful island.
As world travellers, we always seek out this type of villa/cottage accomodation and we find Villa Beach Cottages to be in the top level of it's niche in the market.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sammamish, WA
Reviewed June 22, 2005

I got the joy of the Villa Beach Cottages when I went to St Lucia for 8 days in May for a wedding. I had researched the hotel extensively prior to arriving, and was not disappointed in the slightest.

I stayed in a cottage the first night, and then moved into my 2 room villa suite. As you have read on other reviews, the cottages could use a makeover in some areas (kitchen flooring, etc). However, they are literally just a few feet from the beach. The fact that we could barbeque outside our cottage and dine on our patios or hammocks while enjoying the beautiful sunsets over Choc Bay more than made up for any shortcomings with the flooring inside.

The two room suites were much larger and much more modern. There were three of us who were to sleep in the suite, and we expected to have to rotate one person to the couch each night. Imagine our surprise when there were 4 (yes 4) beds in the suite. There was one private bedroom, with a balcony, and the other bedroom had 3 beds. Our other friends who were staying other places on the island liked the Villa Beach so much, that they came and stayed with us!

The grocery store was just down the street, so, in addtion to being able to stock up daily on Pitons, we were able to utilize the fully supplied kitchens (Silverware and tableware included) to cook some of our own meals when we did not want to venture into town.

Lastly, but not least, the service was wonderful. Colin and crew worked hard to make us feel at home on their island. Colin told us many stories and histories about the island, and also gave a number of suggestions for entertainment. I was there for 8 days, and thanks in part to Colin's suggestions, I went Deep Sea Fishing, Sailed the Grenadines, took a boat trip down to the Pitons and back, and took a horseback riding tour. The hotel had negotiated rates with their taxi drivers (Moses and Charles were great!) so, although taxis were expensive, they were not as expensive as they could have been.

If you are looking for a flashy, posh vacation with nightlife and spas, I would look elsewhere, but if you want a nice, quiet, peaceful and private trip, then the Villa Beach is the place to stay. We will be staying there next time we visit St Lucia, I am sure.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2005

I was recently married on St. Lucia and we were recommended this hotel by our wedding planner. I am so glad we checked this website to confirm what we were told. This hotel is one of the only privately owned beach hotels on St. Lucia. The location was amazing and the grounds were immaculate. Colin the owner, helped me and my family and friends discover the sites and sounds of St. Lucia in a way that we wouldn't have found had we stayed at one of the many all-inclusives on the island. Indeed I felt that we were treated like we were the guest of honor, however so was everyone else! There are 14 rooms and enough staff that by the end of your trip you all know each others names and you feel like you've known each other for years.

If you need more convincing, here's something that you may not hear in any other review. We were married on the beach and had our reception in a restaurant nearby. We decided to come back to the hotel with our friends and family, most of which were also guests of the cottages. My older brother however was not a guest of the hotel. After much fun and excitement, he slipped and fell, landing on a glass. All the gory details aside, Villa Beach sent a security guard to follow the ambulance to the public hospital after trying desperately to get us into the private hospital at 3am. The security guard stayed with us the entire time while relaying messages back to Colin the owner who was wanting to make sure we were safe and happy. The security manager gave us all a ride back to the hotel once my brother was discharged. This was all done out of the kindness of their hearts as it was not a paying guest, so we were lucky to be staying where we were, with the kind of staff that they employ.

Thank you to all of the staff on behalf of my friends and family.

8  Thank daizyray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Villa Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!