“Cornelius is great!”

Son of Man Sea Tours
Ranked #4 of 58 Tours in Castries
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I had our weddingmoon at La Toc a couple weeks ago. We're more the adventurous type and didn't want to spend a ton of money on a tour that we'd find ourselves spending numerous hours with way too many people. We decided instead to book the tour with Cornelius (The man in the pink tee on the beach at La Toc). The tour picked us up in a boat on the resort's beach and then took us down the West side of the island, stopping at Souffrie for some shopping, a volcanic mud bath, absolutely beautiful waterfall, lunch at his cousins...yes...his cousin's house that was absolutely fantastic, and then we hopped back on the boat and headed between the Pitons for some great snorkeling! The snorkeling was roped off and there were tons of sergent majors, puffer fish, needle fish, trumpet fish, octopus, parrott fish and corral, amongst many other things. It was right off of the beach so it was easily accessible from the boat and from the Sugar Bay resort. I HIGHLY recommend this tour. It seems that "Joe Knows" gets a lot of attention on the island but Cornelius is the man with the great deal (only $100/person) and we only had 3 other couples on our tour, most of which were amazingly fun people to hang out with all day. We even spent the entire next day hanging out with one of the couples we met there. All in all, if you're a bit nervous about venturing out with the guy on the beach, trust him. His people work hard for their living and they do an amazing job : ) We left at 8:45 in the AM and returned at 2:30pm and also got to see oprah, mcjagger, and a few other famous residences while we were in the boat as well.

6  Thank leynmarie
"these guys"
in 27 reviews
"boat ride"
in 31 reviews
"pirates of the caribbean"
in 21 reviews
in 6 reviews
"lucian lunch"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spent a week at Sandals La Toc and decided to see a bit more of the island of Saint Lucia while we were at it. We are not exactly what you'd call adventure enthusiasts or adrenaline junkies and this tour suited us perfectly and this really was brilliant value for money.

We began the trip on a boat with another younger couple and we were dropped off around the corner from the resort onto another boat full of folks from the cruise ship that had docked. We then set off for a quick trip to Sufret which is a smaller village. Once there we were taken to the mud baths and natural hot springs. We didn't feel rushed at all and were able to take our time. Our guide happily took all of our photos and then brought us to a near secluded waterfall which was lovely. As we were brought back to Sufret, we stopped for photos of the stunning view of the two Pitons, mountains that Saint Lucia is known for.

From there, we were taken a very short journey to another resort on the island where we had a chance to relax and to take in the lovely views within the lagoon between the pitons. We were served a fabulous lunch that was cooked locally and we were offered the chance to go snorkelling too.

We then journeyed to several other smaller beaches as we made our way back to the resort. Our final stop was at Marigot Bay where we saw a few celebrity homes and had a chance to cool off in the semi private cove there as well.

All in all, this was one of the days we enjoyed most during our holiday in Saint Lucia and the people who toured us around were born and raised in the area and therefore knowledgeable and more than happy to answer our questions. We paid nothing up front and gave the lump sum to our boat driver at the end.

Cornelius is the name of the man who approached us on the beach at the resort and he was kind and did not pressure us in any way to take the tour and honestly it felt great to give a little back to the local community.

There are other tours, of course, and some are a bit more party party oriented and you will come back sauced up. Guaranteed. However, if you are looking for a great day out to see a bit more of Saint Lucia with a lovely group of local people then look no further than this tour. Enjoy!

3  Thank NGale85
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife and I just returned from an absolutely amazing trip to Sandals La Toc in St .Lucia. The resort is first class and the food wonderful. The best outing of our trip was SON OF MAN SEA TOUR....a 6 hour boat/van tour to the amazing Pitons, snorkeling, Local authentic Caribbean cooking at a small restaurant, refreshments on board (of course) and a lot smaller than the other Party Boat Tour. Son of Man takes a max of 5 couples which for us was perfect. Locals are permitted to sell their paintings ,carvings, etc.. on the beaches of St. Lucia. Similarly they can offer boat tours, zip lining etc. You can always pay more in a hotel lobby....look for CORNELIUS on the beach with his Bristol board poster of the colourful pictures of what you will see and do, a volcano, mud bath and viewing homes of Howard Stern, Oprah, Mick Jagger, George Foreman etc. awaits you......there were only 3 couples on our tour...we had a blast !!!!!!

1  Thank KAnthony13
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In March of 2012, I started searching shore excursions for our January 2013 cruise. I am a big supporter of Trip Advisor and spend much time and effort reading reviews and researching locations. (I also write reviews after trips to give back, and try and help fellow travelers) Our 2013 cruise to the Carribean included St Lucia. I was so excited because this was a new port for me. As I collected information, I realized that I wanted to go with a company in St Lucia that went to THE PITONS by sea to aviod the often reported long and difficult trek by land. Son of Man was highly recommended and their WEBSITE looked good. The price was $110 pp for a full day tour including mud baths, waterfall, snorkeling, and lunch. I trust Trip Advisor and their reviews were really good. So, I booked this tour for the 6 people in our party. To hold the reservation I provided a cc # but only to hold the reservation. It was clear on the WEBSITE that no deposit would be taken and we would pay in full on the day of the tour. I made the reservation in April (for the following Jan.) and this is one instance where my planning WAY IN ADVANCE came back to haunt me. I would not have booked them without having seen their website, and comparing it to others.

I am also a member of the cruise critic boards, and I had shared info about Son of Man on my roll call. When a fellow cruiser tried to contact them, they never returned her inquiries. I thought that was odd, as I had had no problem.
Shortly after that, their website disappeared from the internet. I did have all their information in my travel folder including 3 phone #'s, and I did have my reservation confirmations, so I wasn't worried...yet...

Then in September, I noticed a charge of $224 on my credit card? @#$%*#?^%$+ OH NO! I called the first phone # I had. This was the one listed on the website to be the owner Elvis. He answered the phone and assured me that we did have a reserved date and they had taken the DEPOSIT only because our party was large. I asked what had happened to their website and he said something similar to a previous poster that there was a problem with the Domain Name.
It was also at this time that there were less reviews being posted on TA about Son of Man Tours.
And there were rumors all over that they were no longer in business. I asked Elvis about this and he assured me they were still in business AND the website would be fixed soon. OK, I wasn't happy about the deposit, but we still had the tour that I wanted. However, now I was suspicious.

In the next few months there were questions and more bad reviews on TA and more instances of problems with bookings and deposits. There were a few good reviews, but they seem to be people who were staying at Sandals La Toc on ST Lucia and were solicited for the tour on the beach in front of the resort. It is now December and less than a month away from our trip. I am so excited for this 12 day cruise after New Years, but the St Lucia stop is weighing heavy on my mind. If It were only me, I could handle a problem coming up at the port, but I was responsible for 5 other people in our party. So, I called Elvis again to Reconfirm and ease my mind. To my dismay, his # was now disconnected. MORE RED FLAGS. I tried the second phone # I had, and there was an answering machine, so I left a message that said... I WANT A REFUND and At this point I am arranging with another tour company at the last minute, because I don't want to get stuck. (I was definitely not happy, but I was even willing to take the loss of the deposit to make sure we had solid plans for our day in St Lucia.) Well, within hours, Elvis calls me back. He says please don't cancel, they will definitely take us on the tour. He says to make it up to me, he will give us a Private Tour and reduce our price a little. OK, he already had my $224, so I agree to stay with him.

On Jan 10, 2013 our cruise stops in St Lucia. We are met by Gabby of Son of Man Tours! I am so relieved...at first....
But, in the first 10 minutes, Gabby has numerous calls from ELVIS. Elvis wants to talk to me. He says we can have the private tour, but he now has to charge me more than agreed. That was unfair of him, unbusinesslike, and unprofessional. On the spot, I really didn't want to disappoint the others traveling with me, so we went, and paid full price.

St Lucia is beautiful, and Gabby was Really Great! We enjoyed the tour: the mud baths were amazing, the warm waterfall was unforgetable, the snorkeling at Jalousie Beach was the best I've seen in the Caribbean. The others in my party were very happy with the day (noone else knew what I had gone thru for the past 8 months with the arrangements)

To sum up the experience. I would run the other way when dealing with this company over the internet or from the USA. It's possible that if you arrange on the beach at Sandals La Toc (with Cornelius), there is less room for error. The company sub-contracts the boat transportation, and the land drivers. What they are really supplying is the Tour Guide, they don't have their own boat or van that says SON of MAN TOURS. The company seemed VERY unorganized...and not truly professional.

I debated my overall review score for quite a while. Ultimately, I don't want to hurt someone's business intentionally. Unfortunately, I feel responsible to warn other travelers that some of this company's practices are shady.

16  Thank nomad824
See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a belated honeymoon from 2.10 to 2.15 at the Sandals La Toc. On previous vacations, we have booked tours through the local guys and found them to be much more cost-friendly for us and also a better experience all around.

Our first day at Sandals La Toc, we were approached by a man in a coral colored shirt named Cornelius. He is so nice and so cool! He is straight up with you. The Son of Man tour we did is exactly like the Joes Knows tour through Sandals although it is cheaper, you go on a smaller boat (which is cooler!!) and you're supporting the local community. If you take the tour, you will see it is a bigger operation then I thought - there are salesman (like Cornelius, boat drivers, taxi drivers, tour guide, etc.)

The water at the Sandals La Toc was too choppy to go out from there, so we got in a Taxi and drove 5 minutes to Castries to board our boat (don't get too excited, it really is just a john boat more or less but big enough to hold about 10 people and I never felt unsafe). Mango was our boat driver and he was knowledgable and too cool!

For the tour, you drive up the coast and Mango points out all the hot spots, celebrity homes, landmarks, movie landmarks, etc. I frankly would have thought it was a great day just doing the boat ride. However, you also go to the Sulphur Springs and take a mud bath, go see a waterfall that you actually can get in and take a picture behind, and go snorkeling which was AWESOME! We saw all kind of fish, beautiful coral and a squid! Another couple we went with had been snorkeling at some great spot in Hawaii and said this was better! The snorkeling spot is in Jalousie Bay, right in between the Pitons! What a view!

Overall great tour, would recommend to anyone. Cornelius even had us on the beach selling it to other guests after we had done it! lol I was glad to help though because I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. If you do Joes Knows instead, you're a sucker ;-)

2  Thank Sarah D