“Setting the Record Straight!”
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Rendezvous Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
London
“Setting the Record Straight!”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My girlfriend and I spent a week at Rendezvous in July 2007. Having read some of the rather negative reviews that have been placed recently, I thought I would add my own opinion, and address the criticism by others.

One recent post has criticised the water-sports equipment - I find these comments unbelievable. How many resorts give you all watersports, including motorised ones such as water skiing and wake-boarding, for free? I certainly have never seen this before. And not only are they free, but you can use them as many times as you want within their opening hours. The post in question says that the equipment is 'well worn'. Well it all looked in very good condition to me, and the instructors are always on hand to help you out should you need their assistance.

Granted, the entertainment is not awesome, but when you bear in mind that the people who are performing are usually the people who have been running your activities from 9am that morning, then you realise that they are putting in a bloody great effort. Plus once you've had a couple of drinks and are talking to other couples then you'll have a great time. Actually, we were getting up at 7 each day, and after a day full of activities were struggling to stay up beyond 10pm.

Whilst this hotel is sold as a romantic escape, I think you can really make of it what you want. For me (to the occasional annoyance of my girlfriend!!), it was almost an activity holiday. During the week we did: archery, scuba diving, tennis (personal lesson), beach volleyball (daily - great fun, although I got too competitive according to my girlfriend), water volleyball (also great), putting competition, cocktail making competition, water-skiing, knee-boarding, wake-boarding, wind surfing, sailing and tubing (where you're dragged along on rubber tubes by a speed boat - great fun). I think that just about covers it!

We only spent a week there, and we really regretted not staying for two.

In summary, I think this hotel is absolutely fantastic. Whilst cosmetically it may not be as polished as other hotels, its size means you get to know a lot of people who are always very friendly, and the staff are just so friendly (in particular Nena and Markel).

May I suggest that anybody who doesn't enjoy this hotel because of the odd cat walking around needs to lighten up.

Any questions, feel free to email me.

19 Thank Gregster83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We booked our trip through [--]and were pleased with the price. We knew St. Lucia was expensive and were not suprised. We chose to stay at the Rendezvous Resort because my daughter was getting married on St. Lucia and staying here and we chose to stay near her.

We flew into Hewanorra Airport and were met by a taxi and driven to the Resort. The drive was exciting to put it mildly, due to the traffic, but our driver was competent and the scenery was beautiful.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were met with cool facecloths and a rum punch. We arrived just as the tea hour was ending but still were encouraged to help ourselves to a snack the way to our room.

The room was a luxury oceanfront room and it was completely adequate. Our door opened only yards from the beach and was also convenient to the terrace where meals were served and the entertainment was provided. The bathroom was large and clean and light. It was always cool in the room and a dehumidifier was also provided. We had french doors opening out onto our terrace which had two chairs and a small table and a view of the beach and the bay. The doors were mostly blocked by our loveseat, but we found that we didn't use the terrace that much anyway, with the beach only a few more steps away.

The beach was wonderful. Clean (raked each morning by the staff) with plenty of lounges with small tables and small covers or trees for shade during the hottest part of the day or during the frequent but shortlived rainshowers. We enjoyed watching some young locals playing and fishing on the breakwater and in the water every day. We speculated that they might be children of some of the staff. The water was a little murky for snorkeling right off the shore, but it was warm and clean and refreshing. The best part of the beach was that beginning mid morning you could stick the little red flag provided for your convenience in the sand and your choice of drinks, either alcoholic or non alcoholic would be delivered promptly to you. They were generous with the alcohol and it was perfectly suited to my indiscriminant taste. Flags were collected at tea time, but then you could retire to the terrace and socialize or internalize while waiting to watch the sun go down or for time to dress for dinner.

The food was actually quite good. There were plenty of choices every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, although it did follow a theme each day. No one in our party became ill from the food, unless you count indigestion from overindulgence! The wine choices were adequate (and my husband even considers himself to be a little bit of a wine snob).

I had read some of the reviews prior to our leaving and was curious about the 'wild animals' about which one reviewer complained. The only wild animals I observed were a mama kitty and her three offspring. They wandered through the eating area but if their presence was a problem for anyone I didn't notice. Maybe it was because they were staying close to my table because food kept straying from my plate to the floor and they were graciously cleaning it up. Another day a friendly dog wandered through the beach area. She was thirsty and a kind gentleman made her a makeshift waterdish in the sand for which she was grateful. She lay down under my husband's lounge and rested for a while and was on her way. She was clean and well mannered and we enjoyed her visit.

The watersports were enjoyed by everyone in our party. I had never kayaked or sailed before and had a wonderful time learning how. The staff is fun and thorough in the lessons and also keep a very close watch while guests were in the water, always ready to respond for help or with advice.

Most of the female party members and some of the males, enjoyed a massage at the spa. It was a little less than I expected, being out of doors, but it allowed privacy. The location was very near the watersports area and right by the pool area and it was a little noisier than I had anticipated and there was no soothing music during the massage. However, the ladies who provided the massages were well trained and it was very relaxing and enjoyable.

The grounds were beautiful and kept very clean and manicured. My husband and I enjoyed the different vegetation and flowering plants. I was expecting a more exotic selection of birds (I can see grackles right here in Texas) but there were several species of hummingbirds that were different from any we have here. We were surprised to see our state bird, the mockingbird, also has tropical cousins in residence on St. Lucia.

My daughter was not married at the Resort so we can't judge that aspect. However, we did have dinner following her wedding on Pigeon Island at Le Sport, a sister resort to the Rendezvous. We were treated graciously there, the food was good, if not great and there was a band and vocalist for entertainment. The vocalist dedicated her first song to my daughter and her new husband and it was serendipitiously "At Last" by Ella Fitzgerald, one of their favorite songs! We shared the wedding cake with other resort guests and although the orignal wedding party was quite small it grew by leaps and bounds as the other guests stopped by their table to wish the new bride and groom happiness in their marriage. It might also be mentioned that there was also a "wild animal" in residence there, but I heard of no attacks on the guests! :~)

This review is entirely too long, but I wanted a positive side to be presented to offset the long negative ones. Some people just can't be pleased. They have preconceived expectations and if those expectations are not met they are unable to get past that to enjoy what is offered. I'm sorry for those people.

So, my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Rendezvous. We would recommend it to anyone who can have a good time wherever they are and make the most of what is offered which is an easy thing at the Rendezvous given that it is clean and convenient, friendly and fun.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the noise from the planes at the nearby airport. I guess because in a 24 hour day you might hear them a total of two minutes and even then they aren't a nuisance; just a reminder that someone else is arriving to enjoy St. Lucia or reluctantly leaving with beautiful memories.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — No WIFI in rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
15 Thank JanieTexas
England
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I am shocked to read the recent reviews about this hotel. We stayed for 1 week at the beginning of July 2007 - it was by far the most fantastic holiday we have ever had (we have been to both Mexico and Thailand recently).

The resort offers excellent service, a good variety of food and fantastic facilities. The entertainment was ok but could have been better, we didnt find this a problem as we made some excellent friends out there. Everyone is so friendly and the staff are fab.

If you have booked a holiday to this resort, ignore the last couple of reviews! You will have an amazing time - tip: dont upgrade to the seaside apartments as the normal rooms are in a better location.

I cant emphasise enough how fantastic our holiday was!

Written by a young couple!

Stayed July 2007
12 Thank hayknow
staffordshire
Reviewed July 24, 2007

When we booked the Rendezvous it was on the basis of the reviews from this site. We payed a great deal of money for a luxury honeymoon and were thoroughly disappointed. The food was terrible, with the meat being regurgitated day after day. After my husband suffered food poisoning it was salad and boiled rice every day.

We even tried to get an earlier flight home. The entertainment was repeated any only happened a couple of times a week. The resort was dirty and you would have black all over you when you got out the pool. The rooms were ok but did not have a good finish leaving the overall effect as cheap.

I would not rate this as a good hotel, in short
Dirty
Poor quality and selection of food
Not much entertainment
Shop never open
I must say though the staff were very friendly
If you are going here expecting luxury and choice you will be sorely disappointed

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty, food,
6 Thank clsydi
manchester
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for the second part of our Caribbean "wedding moon". We chose Antigua for our wedding and a 3 star hotel so our family could afford to come and chose this hotel for a "lux honeymoon". To be honest this hotel does not add up to the "romantic"getaway it prides itself on.

The romance feels fake and put on and to be honest it is mainly to do with the fact there's no children and not that it's a romantic hideaway.
The variety of the food was good- quality not great. The Trysting restaurant was very good however.
We uprgaded to a Veranda Suite which was lovely & spacious, however after seeing the other higher upgrade options they are really not worth it. The beach huts are right next to a stagnant pond with quite a bad smell. This pond subsequently flows into the sea! This may explain why both myself and hubby were quite ill for a portion of our stay!
Beach is not great- but as I had researched all the Caribbean islands, i knew we were not going to get the white sands/turquoise water as St Lucia is a volcanic island. We did try to walk down it once but felt very intimidated by a group of young male locals. Many people say that it's fine and they won't bother you, but it's an awful risk to take and we both wanted to get back to the hotel as quickly as possible. There is great security at the hotel so if you stay in the grounds its fine. However -this makes you feel like you are in a holiday camp rather than a Caribbean island.
The activities staff were great- especially Dino. We also sampled the double massage - really worth the money and enjoyable.
The eve entertainment really wasn't that great. We are both a youngish couple (26-30). Obviously not wanting a young & lively holiday, just a bit more to do than watch the same band for a couple of nites. The thing with the entertainment area is that they have no places for 2. They have places seperated into about 10 around one table- which is fine if you want to mix and make friends, but we found this difficult as we were the youngest couple there by many many years. If they really wanted to make it "romantic" it would have been better to have intimate areas for 2 instead of looking across at another couple.
The tennis courts and gym were great and we made full use of them. The pools were very dirty and we didn't use them because of this.

Had I been really stressed and needed a get away from work and students (i'm a teacher) this would have been an ok place, however after comparing this hotel to a "lower star" graded hotel I am hugely dissappointed. It did not have any "Caribbean charm" and didn't feel in the slightest bit romantic.

• Liked — Tennis courts
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DonnaMarie25
UK
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We have just returned from a 9 day holiday in St Lucia, staying at the Rendezvous Hotel. Having reviewed the comments on Trip Advisor of another hotel in St Lucia (Almond Smugglers Cove), where we had booked to stay, we made the decision to change hotels prior to departure as we had concerns over the negative feedback. We are extremely glad we did; Rendezvous did more than live up to our expectations and having visited (albiet briefly)the other hotel on a drop off following a day out, we are extremely glad we didn't stay there (reminded us of Butlin's!!!).

Rendezvous is an intimate hotel, with a great beach front location and 2 very nice restaurants (esp. Trystings). The Service was absolutely second to none - having been on holiday in the Caribbean before & having experienced some unhelpful staff, we were delighted with what we found at Rendezvous, with no exceptions!

We stayed in a standard garden room, which was absolutely fine - the A/C worked fantastically and the decor was nice - the bathroom could perhaps do with a bit of updating, but it was clean and functional. Having seen the beachside rooms, I would not pay the additional price - I don't believe these rooms gave you any more value and privacy on the balcony could be considered a problem.

We firmly believe that this resort is located on one of the best beaches on the island, and certainly the longest, which was great as it meant that it was never over crowded, and the beach flag drinks service was certainly an advantage.

The watersports offered were excellent, and again the guys running this were very friendly, and more than willing to help and teach people who were not experienced, I would recommend trying the Hobie Cat Sailing as it's a lovely way to see the whole beach.

All aspects of the food and drinks inc. cocktails were excellent, the choice of wine is very good, with 3 types of red and 3 types of white inc. sparkling are complementary and they're served by the bottle rather than the glass !

The evening entertainment is just suburb, esp the 'show' night, and Carribean theme nights.

Apart from the great location, superbly maintained and matured gardens (feels like your in the middle of a mini rain forest), and the excellent room and buildings, the staff really made it for us, you can tell it's still a family run resort, as the staff do seem to really care whether you're having a good time or not, and they are always there when required, but really do not hassle you if you just want to be left alone.

Would definately recommend! Have fun!

• Liked — Great location and service was fantastic!
  • Disliked — Slightly small portions, just need to ask for more!!!
10 Thank laura_st
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We were very disapointed with this hotel, not only were my expectation of a beautiful romantic hotel not met it has turned me off going to the caribean forever. The cost of the whole holiday was just not worth what we got.

The accomodation; poor, damp in room, old bathroom with dirty looking bath (the kind you want wear shoes to shower in but would never comtemplate having a bath in).

Food; OK, they tried their best but at times it all felt rather cheep, the wine was house wine (not great and served in carafe type bottles) so you had no chance of seeing what type it was. Each night there is a theme for dinner but again if felt more like a childrens adventure holiday than a luxary resort. Did have a bit of an upset stomach but there are so many flies around with the open buffet type food I was not suprised.

Activities; OK but equipment left me thinking about my medical insurance as it looked well worn and I did not want to be taking part in a reconstruction of how someone saved my severed limb in a few months time so I opted out of water sports.

Beaches; were ok but water look dirty and if you strolled from outside the front of the hotels there are stray dogs and litter, etc.

Overall we had a nice time but I would not recommend this hotel to my worst emeny as it was not value for money and left you feeling dirty. I was suprised that Mr Branson's company promoted such a hotel and I was expecting better service as I was going virgin.

If you have booked you might want to get the travel agency to move you to another hotel asap.

Good luck.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Amy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!