“Overwhelmed !!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Dereham, United Kingdom
“Overwhelmed !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My title is purely in response to TravelerX771 - who has reviewed the beautiful resort of Rendezvous previously and quite frankly I am staggered at the inappropriate review given; I appreciate that we are all entitled to our own opinion and of course not everything suits everyone but during the wonderful week we have just spent at Rendezvous there was not a soul we spoke to who would concur with their comments. Ok, rant over! We had a wonderful room (verandah suite) which is due for a refurbishment but was still beautifully appointed, had a huge balcony with a lovely view of the grounds, A massive and comfortable bed, sofa, desk, chair, huge shower (slightly reduced pressure but this is being dealt with in the refurb). Spotlessly clean each day and with a turn down service. There are two lovely pools - one very quiet by the Spa and the other including a swim up bar which is a great place to meet people, chat and generally pass the time of day drinking and getting to know others. The beach is clean (after storms the staff clear any seaweed or debris thrown up), and there are two main areas that you can sit/lie so you can appreciate the length of coast that the Rendezvous adjoins. Yes, this is a public beach and occasionally you get a few people walking along, daily horses canter along and go for a swim to cool off by the hotel and at weekends there is even the occasional family having a dip and playing in their sea..... and so they should. None of this is offputting or even annoying, quite the reverse, but for those who feel exclusivity is their entitlement I suggest that they either stay up by the Spa pool surrounded by the beautiful gardens or choose another venue with a private beach (incidentally, Sandy Lane in Barbados also has a public beach...). The food was exceptionally good, a massive variety for all meals, in a buffet style, loads of salad for the conscientious, grills, paninis of choice, a large selection of hot food, and a desert selection that would beat most high class restaurants in the UK. There is also the Trysting restaurant which is air conditioned and has a completely different atmosphere; beautifully served, 'haute cuisine sized portions (which although small are a good contrast to the quantity you can consume 4 times a day in the main restaruant (tea is served with food also!); acoustic guitar playing and lovely Maitre 'd and perfect waiters and waitresses. You need to book this at reception and my advice is to book what nights you want to eat there when you arrive as it gets booked up. We also had two beach barbeques - outstandingly good. Drinks are of course free, they have proper labelled spirits, do fantastic cocktails, serve champers all day if you wish - what's there to fault? You can even put your flag up by your deck chair and they will serve you... My last comment must be about the staff. There are 208 staff working at Rendezvous and despite what the previous review said they were ALL, without exception, friendly, polite, helpful, fun, kind, informative and made a point of getting to know you. Of course, this is a two way street....! They have entertainment that you can join in or not, as is your wish, but the team (Josie, Yammi, Pauline and Gavi - sorry if I left anyone out...) are infectiously fun and almost make it impossible to say no. We learned to do archery, how not to play volleyball, played beach cricket, scuba dived, water skiied, tubed behind the speed boat. There was an oversized chess/draughts board, ping pong, badminton... everything and more. We have come away having had the most wonderful holiday with fabulous memories and a few friends made too...we are already planning a reunion return trip!! Thank you to all the team at Rendezvous.

6 Thank ruthndave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I have have been fortunate enough to be able to holiday frequently abroad both in Europe and long haul and would count rendezvous as one of the best all round hotels we have stayed at. It's positives are extensive and I think are mainly due to the happy and well cared for staff. The resort is the original all inclusive on the Island with good ties to the community and seems to be doing excellent business despite the recent economic downturn that has affected many of the other hotels on the island. We stayed in a Verandah Suite on the upper level and found it large with an excellent verandah. Between us we partook in most of the sporting activities and can recommend these plus the onsite gym. Other than this we spent our time reading in a variety of places from secret garden hideaways to various parts of the public beach. In the evening we enjoyed the plush champagne bar, a la carte restaurant and some time on the terrace although generally saving our energies for during the day.

As with all holidays there are a few things to consider before booking and for this resort I think the main ones are the location and the hotel type.

The location is on the outskirts of Castries as can be seen by looking at Vigie beach St Lucia on Google earth. In reality it is isolated from the town due to the old airport and cemetery nearby. Despite this at the weekends and in the evening locals do use the beach but it still remains very quiet even at these more used times.

The resort is medium sized and provides an all inclusive menu on a small island. Despite this it serves good quality beverages, alcohol and food with which we were very pleased. There is an implicit caveat in this though in that the menu choice and content caters for a majority taste and not to the scale of a Las Vegas buffet for example. We didn't witness any complaints about the food and in fact heard a large number of compliments being given.

Overall we would happily return to Rendezvous and have already recommended it to friends and family.

Happy hols wherever you go!

Room Tip: I would advise staying in the Verandah or pool side rooms if you might be upset by the hotel renovat...
2 Thank ShawBristol
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

For our 10th Anniversary, we wanted a quiet, relaxing vacation with ample activities. From the moment we arrived at Rendezvous on 7 November, we knew we had selected the right place. Tony, Leon and the entire administrative/registration staff took exceptional care of us, pointed us in the right direction related to activities of interest, and make certain the day of our Anniversary was exceptional - from a beautiful tropical flower bouquet, extra bottle of Champaigne, and special features at eat meal throughout the day - and extra attention during our Anniversary dinner at Trysting.

The resort is indeed boutique - small enough to keep the numbers down (unlike many of the very large resorts on the island) yet enough space and activities to remain uncrowded and quite peaceful. The grounds are very tropical and well manicured. We enjoyed kayaking, sailing, wakeboarding, the gym, and several of the exercise sessions during our stay. The beach was well kept with daily attention by the staff and ample areas to sit either in the cove or over by the activities area.

The food was very good - assuming you are not looking for only traditional American food. Each evening their is a different theme and between that and Trysting (menu changes every 3 days but has menu allowing for at least 2 fine dining experiences with each menu without repeating food options) you can navigate well what will satisfy your culinary desires. We found the Caribbean night, and beach BBQ to be very good - and our 2 evenings at Trysting were exceptional. Shannon and Harry, as well as so many other staff, go out of their way to ensure prompt service and attend to your needs. The daily breakfast and lunch have some daily variability and offer a nice mix of European, American and Caribbean options. And the bar staff work endlessly to keep your glass full - and offer suggestions for whatever you desire.

In addition, we spent 1 day at Rendezvous' sister resort, Le Sport Body Holiday, and it was well worth the taxi ride ($30 each way) - as this resort has extended food options, incredible fitness opportunities, a great 'hospitality' suite for those like us with a 'day pass' yet are afforded all of the ammenities of the property (except the complimentary daily massage). Thanks to Torey and Martin for the great exercise classes, Wendell for the awesome drinks - and to the staff for accommodating us at Tao a few hours earlier than our reservation.. Lastly, the 'health bar' healthy drinks were creative and flavorful. This is a great full day trip for those staying at Rendezvous.

Overall, given the mixed reviews, my wife and I enjoyed our time at Rendezvous - and give tremendous kudos to the staff for their endless efforts toward making our time exceptional. We recommend staying to anyone that is interested in what we have stated above... a relaxing, well kept, boutique resort staffed with people that eagerly seek to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Luxury Beachside Room was incredible - prime location near the beach, tree frogs / beach surf for yo...
2 Thank 1Happy1Traveler1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I read nearly every review on this website before booking our Honeymoon at Rendezvous for 10 nights from 26-Oct to 7-Nov. We were apprehensive because there are generally mixed reviews, but once we arrived we learned that those people with negative things to say must be pretty picky & critical to complain about spending a vacation/holiday in such a beautiful place…

…First, we took the helicopter ride from the main airport to the smaller airport which is a MUST at least one-way, it's definitely worth it (though the bus-ride to the airport going home wasn't nearly as bad as everyone writes). We were greeted at reception with cold towels and fresh drinks, and showed to our room. Shortly after arriving to our room we received a package at our door of fresh fruit, champagne and a certificate for a complimentary couples massage. Awesome!

Our Room:
We stayed in a luxury beach front suite, which was spacious and beautiful. The bed, pillows and sheets I wish I could've taken home with me. Everything was beautiful and the turn-down service was a great touch. As a few people mentioned, there was construction going on in some of the rooms but it never bothered us because it was during the day when couples are normally out by the beach/pool or on an excursion. It never woke us up, never deterred our thoughts on our location, it was completely un-intrusive.

The Pools:
The lazy river was hard to get to at first, but absolutely beautiful. A great spot for peace & quiet and good nap. The spa and main pools were also great and we never had problems finding chairs. We spent most of our time at the main pool and it's great because a bartender walks around during the day asking if you need a drink. Also, the main pool serves snacks (hot dogs some days, nachos & cheese the others) for some additional food during the day.

The Beach:
Yes, it's a public beach. Yes, during the days there are locals riding horses or playing soccer or going for walks. Weekends are more crowded since the kids don't have school, but nobody really bothers you and they stay past the water sports for the most part. If you don't like it, don't lay on the beach.

Watersports: AMAZING!! My husband and I went on the hobie cat a few times which was fun, and I had no idea the hotel offered tubing as well, which was my favorite thing to do almost every day. SO much fun!!

Restaurants & Bars:
The terrace dining was very good. Breakfast got a little bit dull, but I fueled myself on their delicious banana bread and scrambled eggs. Lunch was something different every day and on Tuesdays there's a lunch BBQ on the beach which is delicious. Dinner was different each night and I loved Italian night! Order some pasta with tomato sauce and garlic and it's delicious! They offer a la carte dining twice/week in the Terrace and we were looking forward to a la carte service on our last Tuesday there since the week prior we had eaten at Trysting Place. The hotel was very full by then, and we found out they weren't offering a la carte that night because it would take too long. I was disappointed that I never got to experience a la carte at the Terrace. I do love that during dinner when you order wine you get to enjoy the entire bottle!
The Trysting place was good as well. We ate there twice, and the menu changes twice/week. It's a great, air conditioned atmosphere.
We also did the private dinner in the gazebo at an additional cost and we HIGHLY recommend it! Francis was our server and she was so sweet and accommodating. Our food there was delicious and the experience itself was well worth the price. Very romantic!
The Champagne Bar was so much fun each night for Bubbly Hour - great conversation and as a champagne lover I enjoyed trying a new glass each night. It's also fun after the nightly entertainment is over to spend the rest of your evening - open until the last couple leaves.

Activities:
Aside from the excursions we booked ahead of time, the resort offered a surprisingly good amount of activities to keep you occupied during the day. There was yoga, tai chi, archery, volleyball, hikes, bike rides, water balloon toss, etc. etc. Each day it's something different. My husband and I did the archery lessons, the water balloon toss, ping pong tournament, ring toss tournament and volleyball games. There's also a bike ride into Castries which my husband did and loved. On one of the first days we were there, we did a Lighthouse Walk which is about a 90-minute walk/hike (wear sneakers!) to the lighthouse. It was so much fun and the views we well worth the walk. It was beautiful!

The Staff:
I could go on and on and on here. From Jackie, to Cato, to Josie, to Pauline, to Francis to Clavi and more…everyone and I mean everyone is just simply amazing. They remember your name after a day - they hang out with you off the clock - they'll have dinner or lunch with you - and they'll be genuinely sad to see you go! I filled out a comment card before I left and nominated Clavi to win an Employee of the Month award. Clavi was always around the resort working his butt off, he would be there one night until 11pm and be back the next day at 7am. He would make it a point to talk to you, hug you, make you laugh, dance with you and play games with you. I will miss him the most!

Suggestions for Improvement:
1. We were under-prepared for the dress code at the Terrace Restaurant at night. We didn't bring enough trousers/dresses and felt uncomfortable wearing shorts or skirts. They aren't too strict about the dress code, though - but make sure you pack enough. I wish this had been more clear before packing!
2. There are no TVs in the rooms or in the hotel (except for above the gym), which I knew about and anticipated. My suggestion in this regard would be for one or two nights a week to have a "movie night" in the terrace bar. Popcorn, a projector showing a romantic comedy…I think it would attract a lot of guests and be a nice activity.
3. Rafts! I would have loved to use a raft to float on during the day in the pools/lazy river.

All in all, my husband and I feel very fortunate to have stayed here when we did. We met some amazing new friends from all over the world (Canada, UK, Ireland - hi guys!) and now have plans to visit them, and we hope to eventually return to the Rendezvous resort some day.

2 Thank Meredith G
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Overall not bad. But not worth the money. Not even close to worth the money. Website pictures are highly deceiving. No clear water, no white sand beaches.

Pro's: Service is very prompt, attentive and friendly. However, they don't seem to know what they are doing. But they are quite attentive. Weather was great. Drinks were plentiful. Diverse backgrounds of other guests made things fun. The adjacent airport really is not bad, a few flights out each day. But any small island you go to, you will see planes taking off all around you. No bugs, as previously reported by others.

Con's: The food. So bad. Just really really poor. By the end of the week the wife and I were sticking to cheese and bread. Most meals are buffet's. Overly seasoned/flavored food to mask poor quality. If you are an American used to eating high quality food and want this on your vacation, do not go to Rendezvous. I found myself happier with a hot dog by the pool bar than the lunch they serve. I can not stress how poor the food was.

The dress code. I don't know why they have one? No one follows it. They do not enforce it. Disheartening for those who make the effort to adhere to it to be seated at dinner next to a couple fresh off the beach.

The location is actually quite poor. The most unimpressive entrance that's 6 inches off the back of a runway. You get there and immediately have the thought "what did I just pay thousands for." One day of mild waves washed the entire beach away and exposed pvc pipes and other infrastructure under the sand.

The towns of Castries and Rodney Bay were beyond disappointing. Not at all like other fun Caribbean cities. Do not venture into them. They are perfectly safe, just nothing to see or do. The locals on the beach were, for the most part, fine. However, they will try and peddle something to you, another added annoyance.

Overall the website gives off an aura of class and sophistication that the resort simply doesn't pull off in reality. Kudos to that photographer.

I'll be curious to see if management responds to this post. From reading many of these posts, and now traveling to Rendezvous, it seems like management only responds to unfounded posts and not the negative ones that were spot on.

Overall, you can relax and enjoy yourself here. Just lower your expectations.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TravelerX771
ResortManagementRDV, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your comments. We take guest feedback very seriously. We are even more keen to respond to the concerns raised while in resort as you may well recognise that once the guests have departed, there is no way we can make a difference to what matters most, the holiday expereince. It is disappointing when guests do not tell us that they are unhappy and do not give us the opportunity to fix the problem as we are always eager to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. We are so sorry we did not meet your expectations.

We work hard to make our guests happy simply because our service ethos does not allow for any other approach and continue to work toward increasing our rate of success in pleasing our guests. Weekly we review feedback from our guests out of all channels and this guides and influences the shaping of the guest experience. Many aspects of a holiday are subjective as each individual is different. We aim to please every couple we receive but when it comes to deciding the changes or adjustments we make to the guest expereince, we are guided by the majority of our guests. Over the month you stayed, our guests rated our performance and concluded the following: Overall for the resort - Week 1: 95.53%, Week 2: 94.96%, Week 3: 94.71%, Week 4: 94.94%. Food - Week 1: 94.95%, Week 2: 95.52%, Week 3: 94.18%, Week 4: 93.65%. Overall for Service - Week 1: 94.95%, Week 2: 94.44%, Week 3: 94.20%, Week 4: 94.29%. They suggest that consistently throughout the month 94% (and higher) of our guests were happy with their holiday expereince. In fact, many of them tell us that they feel the website does not do the resort justice.

We will no doubt continue to push these scores up even further, our entire team is dedicated to this objective. Again, we regret that your personal experience was not to your satisfaction.

Yhasmine
Leven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at The Rendezvous for 10 days in October. On arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff and were checked in very quickly.

The resort is big enough to enjoy the various pools and beach areas, but not too big to feel impersonal.

The main buffet restaurant is lovely with the sea and beach just steps away. Service is terrific and after a few days you are greeted by name and your preferences have been noted, nice touch! The Trysting restaurant provides a more intimate fine dining experience - good food too.

The inclusive bar selection is very good with the cocktails being the perfect way to get more bananas into your diet!

The staff at the resort were excellent, Pauline and Dino in particular, from the moment we arrived.

In conclusion this is a wonderful resort with fantastic staff, top quality food and lots of activities to try. I would have no hesitation recommending it.

3 Thank tomsdonnelly
Dear Guests
Thank you for your glowing review. Our greatest reward is when our guests tell us we have exceeded their expectations. You have highlighted so many of the resort characteristics that many of our guests tell us set us apart. (1)Terrace Restaurant so close to the sea - Only two resorts on St. Lucia offer a restaurant that near to the water, we are very lucky to have a beautiful, ideal location (2) Guests are greeted warmly - our team is made up of some of the most genuine, warm and friendly St. Lucians you will find, we love looking after you. We recently appointed a Resort Greeter to enhance the first greeting even more. Anthony is the first face you will see and he waits to greet every arriving couple with the biggest smile you will have ever seen. You are immediately charmed. (3) Within the first few days guests are greeted by name and their preferences noted - my team gets all the credit for that, they are attentive and understand that each guests wants to be treated like an individual and so they reach out to each guest in a personal way (4) Great Staff - Rendezvous offers so many engaing characters, all different but committed to one common goal, exceeding the expectations of our guests. Pauline and Dino are expceptional, so good at making sure each guest is happy but there are many others.
I had a hearty laugh over your comment about getting bananas into your diet. It appears there are many other like minded guests who stay with us when I think about the number of bananas we go through in a week -:)
Again, many thanks for taking the time to compliment us. We appreciate it!

Yhasmine
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

my wife and i went to the rendezvous 21st oct 13 for 10 days of relaxation and that is exactly what we got, good food as well.our room was a garden view room on the third floor it was perfect, we had a pool view and a very good sea view, it was also very quiet spotlessly clean and well kept,all the fittings were in excellent condition.the bathroom had a very good powerful shower which i like, and a bath for my wife. the food was excellent most nights except for the italian themed evening which was very poor i only had the salad.all the other meals b fast/ lunch were superb.we spent most of our time round one of the pools which are quiet .the beach is publicand you get quite a few locals using it mainly at w/ends, after all they do live there, wouldnt you.i would recommend this hotel for couples of any age if like us te-hey want a relaxing holiday. wish i could have brought the bed back home.

Room Tip: our room 308 sea view, pool view, quiet, and a bed you wish you had at home.
3 Thank SheffieldFlyfisher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
#1 of 4 in Cap Estate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,352 reviews

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!