“The Perfect Rendezvous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Perfect Rendezvous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I read nearly every review on this website before booking our Honeymoon at Rendezvous for 10 nights from 26-Oct to 7-Nov. We were apprehensive because there are generally mixed reviews, but once we arrived we learned that those people with negative things to say must be pretty picky & critical to complain about spending a vacation/holiday in such a beautiful place…

…First, we took the helicopter ride from the main airport to the smaller airport which is a MUST at least one-way, it's definitely worth it (though the bus-ride to the airport going home wasn't nearly as bad as everyone writes). We were greeted at reception with cold towels and fresh drinks, and showed to our room. Shortly after arriving to our room we received a package at our door of fresh fruit, champagne and a certificate for a complimentary couples massage. Awesome!

Our Room:
We stayed in a luxury beach front suite, which was spacious and beautiful. The bed, pillows and sheets I wish I could've taken home with me. Everything was beautiful and the turn-down service was a great touch. As a few people mentioned, there was construction going on in some of the rooms but it never bothered us because it was during the day when couples are normally out by the beach/pool or on an excursion. It never woke us up, never deterred our thoughts on our location, it was completely un-intrusive.

The Pools:
The lazy river was hard to get to at first, but absolutely beautiful. A great spot for peace & quiet and good nap. The spa and main pools were also great and we never had problems finding chairs. We spent most of our time at the main pool and it's great because a bartender walks around during the day asking if you need a drink. Also, the main pool serves snacks (hot dogs some days, nachos & cheese the others) for some additional food during the day.

The Beach:
Yes, it's a public beach. Yes, during the days there are locals riding horses or playing soccer or going for walks. Weekends are more crowded since the kids don't have school, but nobody really bothers you and they stay past the water sports for the most part. If you don't like it, don't lay on the beach.

Watersports: AMAZING!! My husband and I went on the hobie cat a few times which was fun, and I had no idea the hotel offered tubing as well, which was my favorite thing to do almost every day. SO much fun!!

Restaurants & Bars:
The terrace dining was very good. Breakfast got a little bit dull, but I fueled myself on their delicious banana bread and scrambled eggs. Lunch was something different every day and on Tuesdays there's a lunch BBQ on the beach which is delicious. Dinner was different each night and I loved Italian night! Order some pasta with tomato sauce and garlic and it's delicious! They offer a la carte dining twice/week in the Terrace and we were looking forward to a la carte service on our last Tuesday there since the week prior we had eaten at Trysting Place. The hotel was very full by then, and we found out they weren't offering a la carte that night because it would take too long. I was disappointed that I never got to experience a la carte at the Terrace. I do love that during dinner when you order wine you get to enjoy the entire bottle!
The Trysting place was good as well. We ate there twice, and the menu changes twice/week. It's a great, air conditioned atmosphere.
We also did the private dinner in the gazebo at an additional cost and we HIGHLY recommend it! Francis was our server and she was so sweet and accommodating. Our food there was delicious and the experience itself was well worth the price. Very romantic!
The Champagne Bar was so much fun each night for Bubbly Hour - great conversation and as a champagne lover I enjoyed trying a new glass each night. It's also fun after the nightly entertainment is over to spend the rest of your evening - open until the last couple leaves.

Activities:
Aside from the excursions we booked ahead of time, the resort offered a surprisingly good amount of activities to keep you occupied during the day. There was yoga, tai chi, archery, volleyball, hikes, bike rides, water balloon toss, etc. etc. Each day it's something different. My husband and I did the archery lessons, the water balloon toss, ping pong tournament, ring toss tournament and volleyball games. There's also a bike ride into Castries which my husband did and loved. On one of the first days we were there, we did a Lighthouse Walk which is about a 90-minute walk/hike (wear sneakers!) to the lighthouse. It was so much fun and the views we well worth the walk. It was beautiful!

The Staff:
I could go on and on and on here. From Jackie, to Cato, to Josie, to Pauline, to Francis to Clavi and more…everyone and I mean everyone is just simply amazing. They remember your name after a day - they hang out with you off the clock - they'll have dinner or lunch with you - and they'll be genuinely sad to see you go! I filled out a comment card before I left and nominated Clavi to win an Employee of the Month award. Clavi was always around the resort working his butt off, he would be there one night until 11pm and be back the next day at 7am. He would make it a point to talk to you, hug you, make you laugh, dance with you and play games with you. I will miss him the most!

Suggestions for Improvement:
1. We were under-prepared for the dress code at the Terrace Restaurant at night. We didn't bring enough trousers/dresses and felt uncomfortable wearing shorts or skirts. They aren't too strict about the dress code, though - but make sure you pack enough. I wish this had been more clear before packing!
2. There are no TVs in the rooms or in the hotel (except for above the gym), which I knew about and anticipated. My suggestion in this regard would be for one or two nights a week to have a "movie night" in the terrace bar. Popcorn, a projector showing a romantic comedy…I think it would attract a lot of guests and be a nice activity.
3. Rafts! I would have loved to use a raft to float on during the day in the pools/lazy river.

All in all, my husband and I feel very fortunate to have stayed here when we did. We met some amazing new friends from all over the world (Canada, UK, Ireland - hi guys!) and now have plans to visit them, and we hope to eventually return to the Rendezvous resort some day.

2 Thank Meredith G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Overall not bad. But not worth the money. Not even close to worth the money. Website pictures are highly deceiving. No clear water, no white sand beaches.

Pro's: Service is very prompt, attentive and friendly. However, they don't seem to know what they are doing. But they are quite attentive. Weather was great. Drinks were plentiful. Diverse backgrounds of other guests made things fun. The adjacent airport really is not bad, a few flights out each day. But any small island you go to, you will see planes taking off all around you. No bugs, as previously reported by others.

Con's: The food. So bad. Just really really poor. By the end of the week the wife and I were sticking to cheese and bread. Most meals are buffet's. Overly seasoned/flavored food to mask poor quality. If you are an American used to eating high quality food and want this on your vacation, do not go to Rendezvous. I found myself happier with a hot dog by the pool bar than the lunch they serve. I can not stress how poor the food was.

The dress code. I don't know why they have one? No one follows it. They do not enforce it. Disheartening for those who make the effort to adhere to it to be seated at dinner next to a couple fresh off the beach.

The location is actually quite poor. The most unimpressive entrance that's 6 inches off the back of a runway. You get there and immediately have the thought "what did I just pay thousands for." One day of mild waves washed the entire beach away and exposed pvc pipes and other infrastructure under the sand.

The towns of Castries and Rodney Bay were beyond disappointing. Not at all like other fun Caribbean cities. Do not venture into them. They are perfectly safe, just nothing to see or do. The locals on the beach were, for the most part, fine. However, they will try and peddle something to you, another added annoyance.

Overall the website gives off an aura of class and sophistication that the resort simply doesn't pull off in reality. Kudos to that photographer.

I'll be curious to see if management responds to this post. From reading many of these posts, and now traveling to Rendezvous, it seems like management only responds to unfounded posts and not the negative ones that were spot on.

Overall, you can relax and enjoy yourself here. Just lower your expectations.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TravelerX771
ResortManagementRDV, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your comments. We take guest feedback very seriously. We are even more keen to respond to the concerns raised while in resort as you may well recognise that once the guests have departed, there is no way we can make a difference to what matters most, the holiday expereince. It is disappointing when guests do not tell us that they are unhappy and do not give us the opportunity to fix the problem as we are always eager to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. We are so sorry we did not meet your expectations.

We work hard to make our guests happy simply because our service ethos does not allow for any other approach and continue to work toward increasing our rate of success in pleasing our guests. Weekly we review feedback from our guests out of all channels and this guides and influences the shaping of the guest experience. Many aspects of a holiday are subjective as each individual is different. We aim to please every couple we receive but when it comes to deciding the changes or adjustments we make to the guest expereince, we are guided by the majority of our guests. Over the month you stayed, our guests rated our performance and concluded the following: Overall for the resort - Week 1: 95.53%, Week 2: 94.96%, Week 3: 94.71%, Week 4: 94.94%. Food - Week 1: 94.95%, Week 2: 95.52%, Week 3: 94.18%, Week 4: 93.65%. Overall for Service - Week 1: 94.95%, Week 2: 94.44%, Week 3: 94.20%, Week 4: 94.29%. They suggest that consistently throughout the month 94% (and higher) of our guests were happy with their holiday expereince. In fact, many of them tell us that they feel the website does not do the resort justice.

We will no doubt continue to push these scores up even further, our entire team is dedicated to this objective. Again, we regret that your personal experience was not to your satisfaction.

Leven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at The Rendezvous for 10 days in October. On arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff and were checked in very quickly.

The resort is big enough to enjoy the various pools and beach areas, but not too big to feel impersonal.

The main buffet restaurant is lovely with the sea and beach just steps away. Service is terrific and after a few days you are greeted by name and your preferences have been noted, nice touch! The Trysting restaurant provides a more intimate fine dining experience - good food too.

The inclusive bar selection is very good with the cocktails being the perfect way to get more bananas into your diet!

The staff at the resort were excellent, Pauline and Dino in particular, from the moment we arrived.

In conclusion this is a wonderful resort with fantastic staff, top quality food and lots of activities to try. I would have no hesitation recommending it.

3 Thank tomsdonnelly
Dear Guests
Thank you for your glowing review. Our greatest reward is when our guests tell us we have exceeded their expectations. You have highlighted so many of the resort characteristics that many of our guests tell us set us apart. (1)Terrace Restaurant so close to the sea - Only two resorts on St. Lucia offer a restaurant that near to the water, we are very lucky to have a beautiful, ideal location (2) Guests are greeted warmly - our team is made up of some of the most genuine, warm and friendly St. Lucians you will find, we love looking after you. We recently appointed a Resort Greeter to enhance the first greeting even more. Anthony is the first face you will see and he waits to greet every arriving couple with the biggest smile you will have ever seen. You are immediately charmed. (3) Within the first few days guests are greeted by name and their preferences noted - my team gets all the credit for that, they are attentive and understand that each guests wants to be treated like an individual and so they reach out to each guest in a personal way (4) Great Staff - Rendezvous offers so many engaing characters, all different but committed to one common goal, exceeding the expectations of our guests. Pauline and Dino are expceptional, so good at making sure each guest is happy but there are many others.
I had a hearty laugh over your comment about getting bananas into your diet. It appears there are many other like minded guests who stay with us when I think about the number of bananas we go through in a week -:)
Again, many thanks for taking the time to compliment us. We appreciate it!

sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

my wife and i went to the rendezvous 21st oct 13 for 10 days of relaxation and that is exactly what we got, good food as well.our room was a garden view room on the third floor it was perfect, we had a pool view and a very good sea view, it was also very quiet spotlessly clean and well kept,all the fittings were in excellent condition.the bathroom had a very good powerful shower which i like, and a bath for my wife. the food was excellent most nights except for the italian themed evening which was very poor i only had the salad.all the other meals b fast/ lunch were superb.we spent most of our time round one of the pools which are quiet .the beach is publicand you get quite a few locals using it mainly at w/ends, after all they do live there, wouldnt you.i would recommend this hotel for couples of any age if like us te-hey want a relaxing holiday. wish i could have brought the bed back home.

Room Tip: our room 308 sea view, pool view, quiet, and a bed you wish you had at home.
3 Thank SheffieldFlyfisher
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had a fantastic time all round some of the hi-lights were
the water sports tubing, sailing water skiing, all with tuition
Scuba try out
the champagne bar open until the last couple leaves
hammock on our beach fronted room perfect to relax and watch the sun set

Its also really nice to get waiter service from an all inclusive hotel. All the staff are friendly and ask if there is a way they can make the stay better

Just wish we could have stayed longer but i guess that just means we will have to go back!!

2 Thank Rory_Ferguson
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

What can I say about the hotel that hasnt been said before. The staff are friendly, the food is good and th.e entertainment is low key. So imagine our dissapointment that after 2 days of arriving in our beach front room, the building renovation started, instead of enjoying the gentle sounds of the waves, we were treated to the sound of hammering and drilling, even if you lay on the beach in front of the rooms, you may as well be on a building site.The beach cottages have been renovated as well. Not so much as an apology from the management either, out of courtesy you would have expected some notification that this was taking place, but to date nothing has been recieved. Very dissapointed, travelling thousands of miles to relax only for this to take place on the doorstep. Also I think the small aircraft have been understated, they are dash 8 and atr prop planes, quite noisy .and some days more frequent than others.

2 Thank ragpop
ResortManagementRDV, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guests
Thank you for your feedback. We regret your disappointment with your stay or any inconvenience you may have expereienced. We note that the disruption you experienced was the only aspect of your stay that did not meet your expectations and we thank you for the positive feedback. Regarding the noise you experienced, we admit that three of the windows in the building you stayed in were being replaced during that time. We apologise for not having informed you of the intended work, we did not intend for this work to be noisy or disruptive and we wish you would have advised us that you were being affected.
We can confirm that the window replacement is now complete. Again, our sincere apologies.
Wndlesham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Have just returned from 3 weeks at the Rendezvous, our third holiday there in the last three years and it just keeps getting better. From the minute you arrive the staff can't do enough for you, they are just amazing. The food is delicious and so varied that you are spoilt for choice at every meal. We used to walk along the lovely beach every morning before breakfast and again in the afternoons. Lots of water sports available for those who want them, also tennis, gym and luxurious spa. Two pools, one with the swim up bar which is obviously the one we used every afternoon!! Room service is excellent and as for the management and staff they are different from any other hotel we've stayed at in the various Caribbean islands, everyone is so smiling and pleasant. The Champagne Bar is lovely and a very popular meeting place in the evenings. Lots of trips you can take in the day but as it was our third time we just chilled out and couldn't believe how the three weeks flew. Thanks to all you lovely people at the Rendezvous and we will certainly see you next year. PS Absolutely lovely to have no TV in our room, sheer bliss.

2 Thank Shelagh66
Dear Shelagh66
Many thanks for your glowing review. We appreciate your taking the time to write and more so your strong support of Rendezvous. We enjoyed hosting you over the past three weeks. You both are now like family to the team.
We look forward to your return visit in the coming year. Meanwhile, do take care of each other.
Yhasmine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
#1 of 4 in Cap Estate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,352 reviews

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!