“A Lovely Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A Lovely Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely two week stay at The Rendezvous. It was our first time here and we were pleasantly surprised.

We opted for the car transfer from the airport. Although the journey was quite long it was nice to see the island before we settled into our holiday.

On arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff and were checked in very quickly.

The resort itself is very clean. We prefer swimming pools to the sea so we spent most of the day around the spa pool which was very quiet. There was an aquarobic session weekdays with Pauline - who was very dynamic. This was always good fun. We were a party of four and Trevor - who must be the best pool barman in the Caribbean kept us topped up with drinks all day. It was extremely hot and Trevor kept smiling and working hard throughout - he made our holiday.

The food was very good - all buffet style apart from the Trysting Restaurant. We ate at the Trysting three times and the service and food were first class. At breakfast time we particularly enjoyed Veronica's omelettes and scrambled eggs - she is a lovely, lively character.

We stayed in a Verandah suite which although a bit dated was kept spotlessly clean with plenty of clean towels and REN bathroom products.

The downsides that have been mentioned are:-

(1) An airport nearby. This is a small airport with a few planes each day and the noise was minimal and so no real problem.

(2) Cemetery. This is further along the beach and no problem.

(3) Locals on the beach. The people we saw were making the most of the weekend off work and if I lived it St Lucia I would certainly head to the beach. I could see no problem with this.

In the evenings the resort takes on a different look as the trees are lit up - this adds to the atmosphere and is very romantic.

I must mention Ginger the resident cat - he is a lovely friendly boy and always around if you want to feed him.

All in all we had a super holiday and I would highly recommend The Rendezvous - there is plenty to do if you wish - but under no obligation - and if you just want to relax and chill out as we did you will be left free to do so.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sally278

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Swindon, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited St Lucia for our honeymoon at the beginning of September. We had a lovely time and just wanted to share some points and things that may be of interest to readers. I hope you find this useful.

Rooms have UK style sockets
Rooms have air conditioning
Complex is very private except on the beach which is accessible by public
There is a small airport next to the resort but the planes aren't disturbing, only 10 or so a day, first being about 6:55am
Staff are very friendly, although it pays to be polite and wish a good morning/afternoon/evening.
The food is mostly buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner, although lunch and dinner varies each day and two days of the week is a-la-carte for dinner on the Terrace (Tuesday and Saturday)
The Trysting Place is very nice but book a table well in advance as it is popular and there is limited seating.
The activities are varied, from Table Tennis, Volleyball, Cricket, Badminton, Archery, Golf (extra cost for lessons), Tennis (on AstroTurf courts - again private lessons are extra), water sports, wind-surfing, tubing, water skiing, snorkeling, boating. There is an activities board near reception that lists all the daily activities you can take part in that are organised by the staff, such as aqua aerobics, group lessons for some of the previously mentioned activities and evening entertainment information.
September to October is the quiet time of the year, therefore some of the activities can be a little quiet with only one or two giving it a go at any one time.
The drinks are fantastic, the Rum cocktails are varied and tasty and there are as many non-alcoholic as alcoholic to choose from.
They have premium branded spirits, so you can have Southern Comfort, Absolut Vodka, Jim Beam whiskey, plus coke, sprite, lager etc.
The verandah suite we stayed in was clean and comfortable.
There is no TV in the room, which we didn't mind, there was a stereo though, not that we used it.
There is free WIFI around the site, but the signal strength in the rooms might be too weak, it's good around the pools and in the Terrace.
The lazy river is a nice spot however there are no parasols so it can get very hot.
The Spa garden pool is a nice spot, although make sure you get your spot early as it can get busy.
Trevor kept everyone everyone topped up with their favourite beverage at the Spa garden pool, this applies to the lazy river too. The evening entertainment is good, we particularly liked the steel band that played and the pianist. A welcome accompaniment to our dinners.
Everything is free on site, all sports, drinks etc. Anything that is not free is quite clearly marked, including vintage champagnes, some wines (although there are always free house wines and champagne).
The scuba PADI course costs, personal training in the gym and private tennis lessons. There is always a free sampler, or group lessons which are free.
I would suggest bringing mostly US dollars and a small amount of EC dollars and nearly everywhere we went prices were quoted in US dollars, especially in all the regular tourist spots. If you are planning to go to the any of the local markets then perhaps EC dollars would be more useful.
There is a small shop on site (near the beach pool) that sells an assortment of items, including clothing, flip-flops, sourvineers, bottled water, international items, such as some cosmetics, chocolate (including Cadburys), deodorants and other toiletries, snack foods and other bits and bobs.
There are towel stations by the beach and at the water garden where you can exchange your wet towels.
You get a nice sense of privacy from the outside while in the resort, except on the beach.
Can recommend the St Lucia by land and sea trip. You get to see lots of the island and experience many different aspects of food, culture and nature.

Things to be aware of
The shower in the verandah suites has an overhead shower head and two extra shower heads that are just above waist height, the idea being that they massage you while you shower, however they can't be controlled or turned off so while your lower back is being sandblasted, your head gets a nice soft spray. This seems to only be a problem for ground floor apartments, although the water pressure is a lot less from the main shower head on upper floor apartments we were told.
The birds that insist on sharing breakfast with you can be annoying at times although the staff are quick to remove dirty plates when you go up for seconds.
There is a resident cat that will also sometimes wander around during meal times, locally known as Ginger. He's friendly though.
We were a honeymoon couple and as such we were told that we should get a complimentary basket, which contains flowers, champagne and a voucher for a free his and hers spa massage. We were told we should get it the evening of our arrival or the following morning, however we didn't. We mention this at lunch the following day to another member of staff and he said he would sort it. Again nothing happened. It took a mention to a third person to finally get the gift. I shouldn't complain, considering it was free. The massage was very relaxing.

In summary, we both had a fantastic time and recommend choosing this venue.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DJKarlos
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having previously stayed at Sugar Beach and Cap Maison we booked Rendevous as it seemed great value for money backed by excellent reviews on here. Then days before we left there were a couple of bad reviews and panic set in!

Anyway off we went, opted for the helicopter transfer and the 3 minute car transfer which is great! Arrived at the hotel to a very warm welcome and my concerns started to diminish, the staff were fantastic on arrival.

Our beachfront room was great and was kept immaculate during our stay, every member of staff were polite and enjoyed engaging in conversation and banter with laughs and smiles! The food was fine, highlights been the beach BBQ's which seemed very popular, maybe the hotel might want to consider more of these, day and night?

The airport noise is not a problem whatsoever, it's actually quite nice to see 3 or 4 small planes taking off over you heads each day, locals on the beach no problem either they were few and far between.

We also met some really great people there and had an excellent holiday, well done to all the staff for giving us a great time and I wish you all the success you deserve.

If you are looking for a great value for your money holiday at a relatively high end resort this is the place to go!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rohas
ResortManagementRDV, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your feedback. We are of course very happy that you were not deterred and decided to visit and decide for yourself.

It is the ultimate reward when our guests tell us we have met or exceeded their expectations. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

Yhasmine.
Rocklin, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Let me give you the perspective of myself ( a lover of low activity relaxation) and my wife (where is the disco?).

Firstly if you have not been to this island before you will be somewhat concerned about the length of the ride from the airport and the less-than-prosperous neighborhoods one passes thru to get to Castries. But this is the Caribbean and that is how it is....everywhere.
Yes, the place is close to downtown Castries and next to a graveyard (true), but one needs not ever see or experience any of those negatives if one choses to simply RELAX.

One tip- get one of the rooms they call bungalows that LITERALY are on the beach, it is divine. Your back door opens on to the sand!!!!! you are close to the bar and the food and the calm blue green water. Worth every dollar you spend......Laze in the hammock, your hammock...

The place has a nice calm beachfront, two pools , an adequate spa and a great staff attitude.

The buffet is good and the sit down dining is as good as any all-inclusive We have been to and we have been to many.

They offer many off resort activities from simple (bike into town) to complex (which we did) fly to Grenadines boat to Palm Island snorkel etc.

My wife however insists I mention the complete lack of nightlife . Zero. Which I loved and she protested.

It is relaxing, they do try hard. We spent an anniversary which was excellent

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calinativeceo
Halstead, Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have just read 'LaurenInThailand's' review and thought I had written it! :) The only difference is that my husband & I stayed in a Verandah room (upgraded by booking through Kuoni) - room 215, which was large with a great balcony and decorated in a typically Carribean style. We made good friends with Ann & Fred who stayed in a renovated garden room which was smaller but nicely decorated and had a new bathroom. Either would be fine in my opinion.

In addition to Lauren's comments:
1) we enjoyed the champagne bar tastings between 7 & 8pm each evening.
2) we preferred the beach over to the right when facing the sea as it was much quieter and no deep shelf walking into the sea, as per the other side of the beach.
3) the A La Carte Trysting restaurant (included in the all inclusive deal but need to book in advance) made a nice change from the other restaurant which was also excellent.
4) I treated my husband to the arrival helicopter transfer for his birthday, which was amazing and highly recommended. Very nice after an 8 hr flight from the UK and we were able to see the rain forest, Pitons, banana plantations etc.
5) The staff were all lovely and welcoming and made a fuss of my husband at breakfast on his birthday with a bottle of bubbles and carafe of fruit juice for buck's fizz and they sang to him. At the Trysting that night, he was presented with a happy birthday chocolate pudding and they sang to him again. We thought this was all very kind but a couple of days later we returned to the room to find a belated happy birthday flower arrangement (beautiful lillies) and another bottle of bubbles. Very generous.
6) the evening entertainment staff were lovely, the dancing and fire-eating night was excellent

We have stayed at many of all-inclusive hotels and found the Rendezvous to be the most generous, they didn't seem to skimp on anything and were anything but mean.

The only couple of slight picky things I can say is that we feel that wearing dress-shorts in the evening to the open-air restaurant should be allowed for men as it is soooo warm there. Also, I thought the General Manager would be a little more visible, (not too much) but we only saw her at the Manager's cocktail evening very briefly. I understand that she allows her team to run the hotel, but a little presence sometimes and asking if we are enjoying our stay I think would go down well.

Well done Rendezvous - I am sure many people will enjoy your hotel as much as we did and we would love to come back once we have visited some other islands!

PS I am sure I could add more positive points, but need to get back to work, lol!

Room Tip: Verandah room on 1st floor (top floor) quieter and spacious. Garden room decor more modern but smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank senoritatraviesa
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We researched quite thoroughly before going to this resort and we weren't disappointed! There are many to choose from but f you're looking for a relaxing experience, it comes highly recommended. The drive from the airport was a long one ( no fault of the hotel of course) and as we drove through Castries, we thought we'd have another 20 mins or so to go but then turned into the hotel right at the edge of the town, which I initially found disappointing as I wanted to be away from hustle and bustle. Don't let this trouble you though, as once you're in the resort it feels a world away from its location, the only clues to its proximity to town being the airport for light aircrafts right next door, but again the noise from this didn't bother us. Once in the resort, the whole place is very customer focused and friendly, hotel orientation to maximise your stay was useful so you felt relaxed straight away, and the food was really excellent. Lots of choice of activities to do with staff who are very friendly and knowledgeable, and we didn't rake any extra tours as we felt we got to see enough of the island with the snorkelling and fishing trios that the hotel run, but if you want to relax and do nothing that's easy to do too, with staff respecting your privacy. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome, including an occasion where we missed our scuba lesson and we're offered another one, free of charge, to minimise our disappointment! Above and beyond the call of duty we thought. We went in August which is rainy season but the weather was gorgeous, only a little rainy, and the hotel only half full, which was a bonus. A great trip all round, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this resort.

Room Tip: We had the garden room which had been recently refurbished and they were great, apparently better th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elma A
Phuket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been using Trip Advisor for years to check places out rather than to share knowledge, but I have to comment this time, purely to address the negative reviews as this place really was beautiful and I think a lot of the bad comments are unjustified. Don't get me wrong, I can be quite fussy and I have high standards, but credit where it's due as this was a stunning resort. I hope my comments help someone on the verge of booking in the way that other people's comments helped us.

So, here is our take on the negative bits we read, both before and after visiting last month (Sept 2013):

Noisy frogs - Seriously!? How could anyone complain about this? There is something incredibly cool about being on a tropical island, listening to the sound of frogs (they sound like crickets). It beats Eastenders...

Locals on the beach - Yep, there were a few. No denying that, but there were not hundreds of them by any stretch and at the end of the day, it is their beach and they have the right to be there. It didn't impact our holiday at all

The second airport - Ignore anyone who says this was loud, disturbing etc. This IS NOT an international airport, there are a few flights each day that go across to the neighbouring islands, that's all. All during daylight hours. Personally I quite liked seeing planes island hopping.

The Cemetary - Yes, there is a cemetary to the side of the beach, but so what? It's set back, you don't notice it unless you go looking for it and even then, like I said, so what? It's quite old, they are not having funeral services there and it's not ugly or creepy or anything like that. At the end of the day, would you prefer something quiet like a cemetary, or something busy, like another resort?

Food quality and availability - The food was amazing! I have no idea how anyone could say otherwise. The reviewer that claimed that only about a third of the meals are buffet style is lying. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style each day and five of the seven evenings are too. There are two evenings per week where there is table service and an a la carte menu and truthfully, we preferred the buffet, but the food was still very good and it was only two nights that were like this. I think the theory behind it was that it's a bit more romantic than a buffet - candlelit, with wine etc. There really was nothing wrong with that. There is no room service, but this doesn't make it difficult to get food like someone suggested. From 6am there were coffee and pastries out, breakfast was from 7:30-10:30, then the pastries stayed out till lunchtime (it was either 12-2 or 12:30 - 2:30, I can't remember) then at 4pm there were snacks, sandwiches, pastries, cakes etc. Dinner was 7:30-9:30. I can assure you, we did not struggle for food at all!

Unfriendly staff - They were nothing but accommodating and all very friendly. Everyone bent over backwards to please you.

Birds in the restaurant - We read before we went that there were birds in the restaurant and this ruined someones holiday. Personally, we loved the fact that we were sat at an open air restaurant, meters from the sea. Yes, that means you get the odd bird. No, there are not flocks of them. And frankly, I quite like that I have a photo of us handfeeding birds over breakfast.

Slow wi-fi . Yep, it wasn't great and in our room we had none at all. However, it was absolutely fine from the restaurant and reception area. I hope I never judge a holiday on a Carribean island purely by its wi-fi capabilities...

Room full of wildlife - Well, there was a lizard near our room once. And a bird on the balcony...

Beach not white sand. Sea not turquoise. - I was there in 'rainy season'. The beach wasn't white, but it wasn't too far off. The sea was blue and calm, but not turquoise. It was nice, but not 'perfect' - it may well be at other times of the year though.

Scrambled eggs made from powder - Rubbish. There is an egg station at breakfast where they make whatever you want fresh in front of you, using REAL eggs. Scramled, poached, fried, omlettes etc.

Boring and for 'old people' - We are 33 and 37. There was plenty to do! yoga, pilates, archery, various beach activities each day, water skiing, sailing, kayaking... all included. In the evening there are drinks (lots!!! As much as you can handle), entertainment and a good atmosphere. I can only imagine that the people writing this would be better suited to a busy all-inclusive in the centre of Cancun where they get you drunk from early morning. FYI, if you DID want to drink from early morning you could do quite easily, it's just that you wouldn't be instigating an all-day drinkathon with the rest of the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 308 which was lovely. We emailed and requested a top floor room after reading othe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Laureninthailand
Dear Guests

Thank you for your feedback. You obviously spent a good deal of your time writing about your experience and we appreciate it. Your enthusiasm about the reort also comes through and we are very pleased you decided to share as not all of our satisfied guests will post a review.

Yhasmine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!