“Nearly Perfect Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Surrey U,K.
“Nearly Perfect Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks in January on vacation and after 50 years of marriage, to renew our vows.
Overall, we had a fantastic holiday. The ambience,the staff, the quality choice of food,the gardens,the room servicing, the water sports and a whole choice of activities,(if you wanted to join in) the evening entertainment,(mainly),the full choice of Branded drinks,the Champagne Bar, the real value for money.
We must mention our vows renewal and Sandra in particular. It was a FANTASTIC 24hours, still cannot believe everything was included and the work put in by all involved. We will never forget any of it. Many thanks again Sandra and please thank,Michelle again,also.
It would not be a true review if we did not mention a few niggles :--
The kettle in the room needed an extension lead ( we had to plug in at floor level, and being a "70 year old "COFFIN DODGER" it was an effort, as was the in room safe, this was at floor level also, in a dark corner of the wardrobe, again a daily ordeal,( maybe I should have spent more time with the the very helpful Pauline in her Gymnasium to do more than breathing excercises. We stayed in a Seaside/Pool cottage, No 129, and it was very good .
I guess the main "Niggle" was about allowing the Divers and pupils in the somewhat small swimming pool, If nowhere else for this activity, at least arrange lessons,say up to 10-00 am after 6-00 pm ( I had a few "PANIC" attacks trying to get to the Excellant "POOL BAR")
These points apart, must mention Simon,Candice,Francis,well to be fair and loss of memory, ALL the Fantastic staff for making everyday a pleasure. Also forgot to mention the excellant a la carte restaurant ( must book).
Would we return, you bet we would,health permitting,cannot wait. Also met and made a lot of friends,We must at least mention,Debs and Chris,hope to meet up back in U.K.
Unless you do "MOANING" as a Hobby, you cannot fail to enjoy the Rendezvous and its value.

Room Tip: Beachside cottages by the swimming pool, ideal and best if you have walking difficulties.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ForeSurreyUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

we went with limited expectations having previously stayed at the turtle beach in barbados and loved it, but this year it was working out too costly, so we thought we would try the rendezvous, what a great decision. the resort is beautifully kept the grounds are a joy to wander in, the pools are good, but not great, but the beach is wonderful and you can walk for miles, there are locals around but they are delightful and friendly and add to the experience. The staff without exception were the best I have ever come across nothing was a problem and any difficulty which arose was dealt with promptly and efficiently. The food on the buffet is the best I have encountered and the trsting place is delightful and although a bit old fashioned it is still a calm oasis in the resort. I can think of no problems during our stay and although the journey from the airport is long it is worth it.We will definitely return Thank you to all for making our stay so wonderful.

Room Tip: try to get a second floor for a view
2 Thank hayesone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We just got back from a week in paradise. The resort was clean,comfortable and quiet. The food was excellent and showed the effort put in by the staff to provide good quality,variety,and
enticing presentation. We especially enjoyed The Trysting Place.
The staff were friendly and went out of their way to make us comfortable. We stayed in a beachfront cottage which was a perfect quiet location with a large deck facing the beach. The pools were well maintained and the beach is fantastic. Evening entertainment was very good and the staff actually looked like they enjoyed participating.
Overall a thoroughly excellent vacation spot. Thanks to the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Beachfront cottages comfortable and private.
2 Thank Deafcat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding there in Dec! Just the 2 of us. Everything was beyond amazing! We didn't leave the resort the whole week! Pure relaxation! Gorgeous food! Great choice of drinks! Staff were top class! Want to go back every year for our anniversary!
LOVED IT!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank GeorgieDean
Stafford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited for 14 nights between 25th November - 9th December 2012 booked through Kuoni/Virgin Atlantic and we got married on the beach. Paid for private transfers in a 4x4 which was well worth it. The resort staff and location are simply amazing.

The Saint Lucian people are very friendly and as Castries was within walking distance we visited the town, harbour, local markets, duty free shops at the port and a local bar without any hassle whatsoever and felt completely safe.

Back at the resort, Very chilled and relaxed throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble and done without any attitude. The Trysting Place restaurant was fantastic with lovely food and relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast and lunch on the terrace was great with many and varied different choices.

All water sports included and we were able to experience some new things like catamaran sailing our own boat! Great bar staff and drinks, especially the beach flag system which means you never have to walk to the bar!

The lazy river was very chilled and enabled private sunbathing on very comfortable beds or loungers. Spa was a little pricey but plenty other all inclusive things to do. We will definatly return one day, best start saving!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank StaffordAndrew
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a wonderful resort on the ocean with great food and staff but there are a few oddities. My wife and arrived and check-in was easy. They upgraded us to a beach front suite from a seaside suite and that started our confusion. We were put on the 2nd floor, the view was great but the deck was small. One large round chair and you had to fit yourself on the deck. So I asked about going back to the seaside suite we booked and they showed us a room. The deck was great but it only had two plastic chairs nothing like the verandah suites with 2 lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs. So we opted for the beachfront.
The rooms had free wi-fi but no TV. We felt a little isolated from the world but figured out news could be found on the computer. Then we decided to get a drink from our mini-refrigerator but it was empty. We thought they forgot to stock it. Not true, if you want refreshments in the room you must go off site and buy them. No room service either. You always must adjust to a new hotel.

The beach was great and was large for a small island. You could beach walk 15 minutes one way and 20 minutes the other way. Very easy to enter the water with no rocks. Only minus was the water was always too cloudy for snorkeling.
The terrace bar and restaurant was phenomenal. So close to the ocean. We just sat back , listened to waves and relaxed. It made up for our small deck. The buffet was good but it had a relatively small selection which was great. No obligation to try everything. In fact we never bothered going to the fancy Trysting Place restaurant which was indoors.
The pools were warm and nice, the lazy river is the best if you want romantic privacy.
There is one alert I must put out. This is not a party hotel. The bars had no shot glasses. When my wife wanted a shot they gave it a regular drink glass. When we were there the average guest age was about 60 and the place was pretty closed up by 11PM. The house band was good but they only played slow music which tended to put you to sleep.
The entertainment staff was great especially Josie and they tried to keep you involved. Archery was excellent with good equipment. Volleyball was a bust because not enough guests would play. Most activities had prizes where you could win rum or a Rendezous T-shirt.

Overall this is a great resort and if the price is right I will be back

6 Thank sargaras
South West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rendezvous for 10 days in early February and I can honestly say that I loved every second of our time there. The hotel is pretty close to perfection and has something really very special that made our holiday and our memories now that we are home, truly wonderful.

Our room was a premium garden view room. This was the first time in a couple of holidays that we haven’t paid extra for a room upgrade and I am so glad we didn’t! These rooms are great – modern with powerful Air Con and the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in! Bathroom good, shower excellent! REN cosmetics are supplied which were a treat but as a few other people have mentioned, not topped up. I also found this to be the case for the cotton wool which was provided – I even left the lid of the container as a hint towards the end of the holiday and it still wasn’t replenished. However if I had been that bothered I am sure that all it would have taken was a call to reception.

Housekeeping was good and efficient – no special touches that you get in some hotels but again, nothing to be concerned about.

Housekeeping was the only area of the hotel that I felt didn’t go the extra mile – everyone else certainly did! The staff are highly praised on this site and it is all true. They genuinely seem pleased that you had chosen to spend your holidays at St Lucia and all are welcoming, friendly and good to chat to without being too intrusive.

Special shout out goes to Trevor the water waiter – I don’t think in all my trips away that I have ever experienced a member of staff so personable and hard working as Trevor. He kept our drinks topped up all day, often bringing us what we wanted before we had even asked for it!
Trevor was great but it almost seems unfair to single one person out when the service was so good throughout. The bar staff in particular were great and the cold towels that were handed out every day was a really lovely touch.

We tried to make full use of all the facilities offered by Rendezvous, particularly the water sports team. We tried Scuba for the first time and my husband ended up doing the PADI qualification and we cannot rate the team here highly enough for the trips that we did with them. I also went out snorkelling which was amazing. The only slight niggle I had was when we got the bill at the end of the holiday and some of the diving and snorkelling trips that we thought were inclusive actually turned out to be chargeable. I accept that some of this may be our own fault for not understanding what was included and what wasn’t, but I felt that the scuba team were deliberately vague about charges and which dives were or were not inclusive– particularly as we never signed for any of the chargeable dives whereas where other charges incurred we had to sign for. (Spa for example) It was a bit of a shame as we actually would have happily paid for the extra trips but that we weren’t explained properly about the charges did make me feel that this was one area of the hotel that were just looking for the ‘up-sell.’ Particularly as we spent a lot of money doing the PADI so to see the extra charges for dives that we thought were included was disappointing.

This is not to take anything away from the experiences we had with the Scuba team, we just wished that the signup sheets and costs were clearer and there were more mid-morning and afternoon activities – getting up for a 8.15 start on holiday was a killer at times!

Everything else about the resort really is top notch – from the quality of the furniture, the immaculately kept gardens to the branded spirits and readily available decent quality champagne – all what should be expected from a luxurious holiday treat.

We found the food to be of a high standard. The higher quality meals are to be found in the Trysting place but whilst the food was lovely, the atmosphere was too formal for me so we only went there once – I much preferred being able to eat outside in the lovely atmosphere on the Terrace. The food here is all buffet service but with a very wide choice of variety. The best nights for me were the nights when we had local dishes – personally I wish the hotel did more of this and less of the themed night such as Italian and Oriental – I can eat this at home! The Jerk chicken on Caribbean evening was amazing!

The beach BBQ was great and it was so fantastic to be out on the beach, under the stars with a glass of wine watching the fire eating and acrobatics of the hotel co-ordinators – something to remember for a long time!

If the hotel could have anything extra it would be another waiter service restaurant – but a modern one, ideally outside which served local food. Even if it was not part of the AI package, I am sure there would be enough people who would want to pay extra for a change. You can of course use the restaurants at the BodyHoliday and we did intend on going – however the taxi charges seemed on the high side and the reality of it was that I just didn’t want to leave the lovely atmosphere of Rendezvous.

One of the highlights of each day for me was afternoon tea. This isn’t something that we have ever taken part in an a hotel before but to get out of the sun and cool down with a little something to eat and a glass of champagne or a cocktail as the sunset for the day was nothing short of perfection. (So actually, less tea and more afternoon cake and champagne but nice all the same!!!!!)

As another reviewer has commented, the clientele in the hotel tended to be on the more ‘mature’ side and return visitors. Even though we were some of the younger guests (in our 30’s) we met some really lovely people and enjoyed speaking to everyone we met. The amount of return visitors speaks volumes about this hotel, and I hope very much that I will be a return customer again soon.

We haven’t ever returned to the same place twice….. Rendezvous and St. Lucia is highly likely to be the exception to this rule.

Room Tip: Premium garden views are great - the beach and pools are really close by so unless you a desperate f...
4 Thank MemberSouthWest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
#1 of 4 in Cap Estate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,356 reviews

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!