“A Quirky Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Rendezvous Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Syracuse, New York
“A Quirky Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a wonderful resort on the ocean with great food and staff but there are a few oddities. My wife and arrived and check-in was easy. They upgraded us to a beach front suite from a seaside suite and that started our confusion. We were put on the 2nd floor, the view was great but the deck was small. One large round chair and you had to fit yourself on the deck. So I asked about going back to the seaside suite we booked and they showed us a room. The deck was great but it only had two plastic chairs nothing like the verandah suites with 2 lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs. So we opted for the beachfront.
The rooms had free wi-fi but no TV. We felt a little isolated from the world but figured out news could be found on the computer. Then we decided to get a drink from our mini-refrigerator but it was empty. We thought they forgot to stock it. Not true, if you want refreshments in the room you must go off site and buy them. No room service either. You always must adjust to a new hotel.

The beach was great and was large for a small island. You could beach walk 15 minutes one way and 20 minutes the other way. Very easy to enter the water with no rocks. Only minus was the water was always too cloudy for snorkeling.
The terrace bar and restaurant was phenomenal. So close to the ocean. We just sat back , listened to waves and relaxed. It made up for our small deck. The buffet was good but it had a relatively small selection which was great. No obligation to try everything. In fact we never bothered going to the fancy Trysting Place restaurant which was indoors.
The pools were warm and nice, the lazy river is the best if you want romantic privacy.
There is one alert I must put out. This is not a party hotel. The bars had no shot glasses. When my wife wanted a shot they gave it a regular drink glass. When we were there the average guest age was about 60 and the place was pretty closed up by 11PM. The house band was good but they only played slow music which tended to put you to sleep.
The entertainment staff was great especially Josie and they tried to keep you involved. Archery was excellent with good equipment. Volleyball was a bust because not enough guests would play. Most activities had prizes where you could win rum or a Rendezous T-shirt.

Overall this is a great resort and if the price is right I will be back

6 Thank sargaras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
South West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rendezvous for 10 days in early February and I can honestly say that I loved every second of our time there. The hotel is pretty close to perfection and has something really very special that made our holiday and our memories now that we are home, truly wonderful.

Our room was a premium garden view room. This was the first time in a couple of holidays that we haven’t paid extra for a room upgrade and I am so glad we didn’t! These rooms are great – modern with powerful Air Con and the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in! Bathroom good, shower excellent! REN cosmetics are supplied which were a treat but as a few other people have mentioned, not topped up. I also found this to be the case for the cotton wool which was provided – I even left the lid of the container as a hint towards the end of the holiday and it still wasn’t replenished. However if I had been that bothered I am sure that all it would have taken was a call to reception.

Housekeeping was good and efficient – no special touches that you get in some hotels but again, nothing to be concerned about.

Housekeeping was the only area of the hotel that I felt didn’t go the extra mile – everyone else certainly did! The staff are highly praised on this site and it is all true. They genuinely seem pleased that you had chosen to spend your holidays at St Lucia and all are welcoming, friendly and good to chat to without being too intrusive.

Special shout out goes to Trevor the water waiter – I don’t think in all my trips away that I have ever experienced a member of staff so personable and hard working as Trevor. He kept our drinks topped up all day, often bringing us what we wanted before we had even asked for it!
Trevor was great but it almost seems unfair to single one person out when the service was so good throughout. The bar staff in particular were great and the cold towels that were handed out every day was a really lovely touch.

We tried to make full use of all the facilities offered by Rendezvous, particularly the water sports team. We tried Scuba for the first time and my husband ended up doing the PADI qualification and we cannot rate the team here highly enough for the trips that we did with them. I also went out snorkelling which was amazing. The only slight niggle I had was when we got the bill at the end of the holiday and some of the diving and snorkelling trips that we thought were inclusive actually turned out to be chargeable. I accept that some of this may be our own fault for not understanding what was included and what wasn’t, but I felt that the scuba team were deliberately vague about charges and which dives were or were not inclusive– particularly as we never signed for any of the chargeable dives whereas where other charges incurred we had to sign for. (Spa for example) It was a bit of a shame as we actually would have happily paid for the extra trips but that we weren’t explained properly about the charges did make me feel that this was one area of the hotel that were just looking for the ‘up-sell.’ Particularly as we spent a lot of money doing the PADI so to see the extra charges for dives that we thought were included was disappointing.

This is not to take anything away from the experiences we had with the Scuba team, we just wished that the signup sheets and costs were clearer and there were more mid-morning and afternoon activities – getting up for a 8.15 start on holiday was a killer at times!

Everything else about the resort really is top notch – from the quality of the furniture, the immaculately kept gardens to the branded spirits and readily available decent quality champagne – all what should be expected from a luxurious holiday treat.

We found the food to be of a high standard. The higher quality meals are to be found in the Trysting place but whilst the food was lovely, the atmosphere was too formal for me so we only went there once – I much preferred being able to eat outside in the lovely atmosphere on the Terrace. The food here is all buffet service but with a very wide choice of variety. The best nights for me were the nights when we had local dishes – personally I wish the hotel did more of this and less of the themed night such as Italian and Oriental – I can eat this at home! The Jerk chicken on Caribbean evening was amazing!

The beach BBQ was great and it was so fantastic to be out on the beach, under the stars with a glass of wine watching the fire eating and acrobatics of the hotel co-ordinators – something to remember for a long time!

If the hotel could have anything extra it would be another waiter service restaurant – but a modern one, ideally outside which served local food. Even if it was not part of the AI package, I am sure there would be enough people who would want to pay extra for a change. You can of course use the restaurants at the BodyHoliday and we did intend on going – however the taxi charges seemed on the high side and the reality of it was that I just didn’t want to leave the lovely atmosphere of Rendezvous.

One of the highlights of each day for me was afternoon tea. This isn’t something that we have ever taken part in an a hotel before but to get out of the sun and cool down with a little something to eat and a glass of champagne or a cocktail as the sunset for the day was nothing short of perfection. (So actually, less tea and more afternoon cake and champagne but nice all the same!!!!!)

As another reviewer has commented, the clientele in the hotel tended to be on the more ‘mature’ side and return visitors. Even though we were some of the younger guests (in our 30’s) we met some really lovely people and enjoyed speaking to everyone we met. The amount of return visitors speaks volumes about this hotel, and I hope very much that I will be a return customer again soon.

We haven’t ever returned to the same place twice….. Rendezvous and St. Lucia is highly likely to be the exception to this rule.

Room Tip: Premium garden views are great - the beach and pools are really close by so unless you a desperate f...
4 Thank MemberSouthWest
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

A fabulous all-inclusive couples resort in almost every respect: beautiful setting, great food and drink, the friendliest staff, wonderful amenities, comfortable room. Some all-inclusive resorts skimp on the quality of food and drink but not here and everything is delivered with smile. We have been disappointed in the past in the Caribbean, mainly because of surly and lackadaisical service but this could not have been more different. The fact that most people we met were multiple visitors, coming back year after year, tells you all you need to know.

The only criticism we have is nothing to do with the hotel - it's just that it's an hour and a half drive along quite windy roads, from the main airport. If you can afford it, we'd recommend hiring a private taxi rather than taking the minibus.

One final thing to be aware of - the hotel is right next door to a local airport so planes do take off over the hotel - this didn't trouble us as they are few and far between, maybe 3 an hour and we rather liked watching them.

Room Tip: Choices are beachfront villas (the most expensive), beachfront hotel-style rooms - great views but s...
Boise, Idaho, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Coming from Boise, Idaho USA and with both me and my wife in jobs we couldn't get away from longer than a week, we only got to stay 4 nights. What a wonderful 5 days it was!

All the reviews on here really are good representations of the resort. It's got a BEAUTIFUL beach, WONDERFUL food, good watersports, and a quite atmosphere.

Beach: Clean and plenty of loungers. We spent most of the time lounging on the south side of the resort near the volleyball courts. While the beaches are public the locals don't really hang out in front of the rendezvous. There must be a local house or restaurant immediately to the south of the resort in between the resort and the cemetery because there were often big games of soccer on the beach with the locals. Like I said though, it was never in front of the resort and distracting.

Watersports: We regularly wakeboard at home and had to try it out on the Caribbean. You're not allowed on their boat for liability reasons but they get you in the wakeboard a few feet into the water and just go from there towards the airport end of the bay and back. The water was smoother than our mountain reservoir at home! My wife and I also did the tubing, it was a BLAST! Even more fun than wakeboarding. You do get some good bumps in and it was just a lot of fun. We wished we had more time to take a lesson on the hobie cats, those looked like fun.

Atmosphere: My wife and I don't drink and enjoy our time to ourselves. We enjoy meeting new people and are also very social but our idea of a perfect vacation to St. Lucia was to celebrate a second honeymoon (been married a year and a half) and just relax, forget about work, and enjoy all the time together. For these reasons Rendezvous was perfect, we enjoyed that atmosphere much more than a party atmosphere elsewhere.

FOR YOUNG COUPLES: Something we didn't realize before but found out almost as soon as we got to the Rendezvous, there are not very many young couples (at least during our stay). We counted two other couples that could have been in their mid to late 20's. This resort is often full of returners and being an expensive destination the majority of guests seemed to be 50+. Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone on here! They were all very sweet and like I said about the atmosphere, it was kind of what we wanted so we didn't mind. Had we been interested in getting to know other young couples though, we would have been very disappointed. As another note on the guest demographics, at least 75% of the guests seemed to be from England. If you're a young couple that just wants time to yourself then don't let the demographics disappoint you, we enjoyed the quiet and relaxed atmosphere a ton! You'll also enjoy the watersports (for sure do the tubing).

Transporation: Getting to Castries is $10 each way and taxis on the resort property.
Do the helicopter transfer on the way there, gets you there faster! We took the ground transfer back to the airport and didn't think the drive was as bad as some made it out to be.

Attending the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints service in Castries: This congregation is amazing! About 60 people attend the little church house on Pointsetta Rd in between the SLU airport and Point Seraphine in Castries. About every woman there hugged my wife and welcomed us as visitors, it was wonderful. There are two sets of missionaries assigned there (one was from Idaho) and they meet at 11am but check out mormon.org to confirm before you go.

Our stay was great and we might choose this resort again if we get back to St. Lucia, who knows!

Room Tip: We had Veranda room 116. The rooms were spacious and had a big shower. We originally wanted a second...
6 Thank Jordan M
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Travelled at the start of February 2013 - flying with BA from Gatwick. Transfer by road took about 1 hour with a short break en-route to take some photos (great driver!).
Arrival at the resort was fine - bags taken to our rooms whilst we checked in down at the reception. Little disappointed with the initial check-in - thought that the drink and welcome should have been ready - and we had to wait around for a while - not a good first impression. However after that all went well- taken to our Garden Room which was excellent - great views of the garden and beach and well presented. Possibly one of the most comfortable beds we have slept in! There is no minibar - however we often took drinks back to the room with us - such as a caraf which we placed in the fridge.
The orientation around the hotel was good - however I would suggest a map in the rooms info would have been useful for new arrivals.
Food - Buffet was good for breakfast and lunch - staff very friendly and always wanting to help. I can only remember once having to wait for a table. Quality of the food was good - always hot - one of the best buffets we have had. We ate at the 'Trysting' three times during our stay and every meal was superb. The staffs attention was great- they even arranged us to eat with friends although we had booked separately. You can order from a good wine list in the Trysting -and we did - however the house wines were more than acceptable. The Chilean Sauvingon Blanc was excellent.
Entertainment was good on most nights, the beach party included the staff doing limbo and fire eating. Again the food - barbecue was excellent. Guests are encouraged to take part in limbo dancing for fun and prizes!
Other acts included local bands singing reggae, mowtown etc.. all decent.
The Champagne bar was a favourite - nice place to meet and talk to other guests prior to dinner and a nice place to finish the evening. Friday nights in particular are good - when the real champagne is poured!
The entertainment teams work hard - providing various games throughout the day. It may be worth them considering organising some garden tours - one we did in Jamaica 'Couples' was great and their would be an opportunity for the gardeners to 'show off' their knowledge and skills. Perhaps some cooking demos as well - this may cater for the less energetic guests? The walking and cycling tours are well worth doing -( thanks Deano and Clavey).
One point for me was that being a swimmer - none of the pools are suitable for doing lengths - they are all for sitting or splashing around in rather than for exercising. (The lazy river is a lovely place to sunbathe and relax with privacy - thanks to Trevor for eeping us supplied with cooling driks). It was a shame that we did not have enough guests for volleyball each day!
Trip wise - make sure you do the snorkelling on Wednesday down at the Pitons. There is a charge for the trip - but its well worth it - possibly some of the best snorkelling we have done anywhere in the world. The other guests who went diving were also full of praise for the Dive school.
The watersports are excellent - we had really good tuitionon the sailing - thanks Shane - and never had to wait for a hobbie cat.
We did the rainforest trip and its good for scenery - however not for photographing animals - disappointed - on got one hummingbird.
The Spa is worth a mention - its excellent and well worth a visit.
The beach was fine and no problems with the locals. yes we did see horses - but they did not cause any issues It was actually a highlight watching the locals play cricket and football on the beach.
We has a couple of minor issues - which were addressed very quickly and professionally by the management - well done!
Overall one of the best hotels I have ever been to - its not too large or impersonal, the staff are genuine and really want to ensure you enjoy yourself. Its excellent for meeting and making new friends and I can understand why couples go back year after year.
What could be improved - another restaraunt might be good to offer a further choice - I understand this is being considered? Also a swimmers pool would be good.
I recommend the hotelas a great holiday! More than happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: Graden rooms are great and more than adequate. Many guests liked the veranda rooms
5 Thank Durham_KB
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Our long term preferred all-inclusive resort was La Source on Grenada. When this closed in late 2012, we perforce looked around for an alternative.

Our travel agent suggested Rendezvous and the TA reviews seemed good, so we elected to try it for our 2013 winter sun holiday.

Compared to the five minute drive from the airport for La Source, anywhere was bound to suffer by comparison. We didn't fancy the idea of a 90 minute transfer across St Lucia, so we went for the helicopter transfer option. Glad we did - spectacular views and only 12 minutes between airports and a five minute cab ride to the Rendezvous.

We had the basic Garden Room, which was perfectly fine - well decorated, spacious and with a very comfortable bed.

Meals were of a universally high quality, but the reliance on buffets started to pall very quickly - same old choke points at the same meal times, which a little ergonomic planning could have avoided. The Trysting Place is a welcome relief from this where you order from a menu and are waited on at table - top tip... book as many evenings as you can when arrive, because demand exceeds supply.

There is a choice of 3 house white wines and 3 house reds all of which are very acceptable, with an impressive selection of other wines available at extra cost.

A fine range of other free drinks - although no single malt Scotch, and only lager on the beer front.

Sports and activities were a disappointment - the presence of an item on the daily activity list seems only a vague indication that it may occur, with none of the expert recruitment of participants from sun loungers which the La Source staff excelled at. As a result lots of adverised activities just never happened. Given our enthusiasm for yoga, it wsas unfortunate the regular yoga instructor was on holiday when we were there. Her replacement the gym instructor clearly knew less trhan we did, so we abandoned yoga after only one session.

Evening entertainments were fun but disorganised - the Motown Night kicked off with three non-Tamla slow numbers, one of which was Country!! Seemed to miss the basic point that with an older clientele who are jet-lagged and full of food and wine, if you don't get 'em up and dancing early, you're never going to.

Scuba - a very good dive shop with expert dive masters who rekindled my enthusiasm for the sport. The downside was a dive schedule that was difficult to understand, and featured dives at improbable times like 8.15am!

The spa is small but very good. My partner and I had quite a few treatments, of which only the manicure was below par.

Rendezvous is clearly a successful package with a loyal clientele, if the regulars who made up the majority of the guests when we were there were typical. However to the new guest it can seem a little complacent with a customer service ethic that could use a little polish and energy.

For this, and the reasons above, we'll probably continue our search for our new regular winter sun venue elsewhere next year. Shame - we so wanted to love Rendezvous.

Room Tip: The basic Garden Rooms are fine - no need to upgrade
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Banker_on_the_Road
Sioux Falls, SD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My new wife and I went to St. Lucia to get married and elected to stay at the Rendezvous because we wanted a less 'commercialized' location. We were there from January 27-Feb 4, 2013. The whole trip was fantastic, but here are some of the highlights we experienced!

First of all, we highly recommend the helicopter transport to the resort from the south airport, especially if you arrive during the day. Yes it's a little pricey, but the trip was only 10 minutes (versus 1 hr 15 min by car). We literally landed in St. Lucia, and were checked into Rendezvous half an hour later. Plus the helicopter provided a stunning view of the island!

We stayed in the Luxury Beachfront Room, and it was amazing. Part of the original hotel, it has the charm and characteristics of the original property, but has been updated with the modern amenities. Large four-post bed with chaise lounge, dressers, closet, mini fridge. Spacious bathroom with separate vanity. Private balcony with great ocean view!

We felt absolutely spoiled by the Rendezvous staff, especially Sandra the wedding planner. The services and extra features provided to wedding couples are extraordinary and definitely made our wedding week memorable and special. For those who ARE looking to get married in St. Lucia, you can't go wrong doing it at the Rendezvous! Sandra worked very closely with us to make sure we had the exact type of wedding we wanted. All the other staff made it a point to really treat us like family and we felt that way - we got to know many on a first name basis, whether it was from a trip into Castries (thanks again Clavi!), or our amazing massage therapists (Melinda), it was all about making sure that our stay was fabulous. The only slightly negative experience we had with the staff was upon our departure proceedings. The people in the reception room could have been more happy?... in order to make our farewell less depressing.

The food was exceptional. The main restaurant on the terrace is all buffet style. Breakfast is served from 7:30-10:30, lunch from 12:30-2:30, tea time from 4:30-6:00, and dinner from 7:30-9:30. There was always a wide variety of food to accomodate palates and eating preferences of all kinds. The only downside that between those times there wasn't much in the way of 'snack' food. It would have been nice to have fruits and snacks available 24/7 since it IS an all-inclusive resort.

Activities were top-notch. We left with about 5 new hobbies to explore! Tennis, archery, beach volleyball, sailing, and poker. What was great that while the staff were always encouraging of the guests to participate, it never felt forced. The instructional quality was also superb. We didn't participate in it, but the resort has free scuba diving and offers the certification needed. Since this is typically an extra cost at most places, it certainly is a perk!

With the resort being smaller than some of the others on the island, we never had ANY issues with getting chairs on the beach or by the pool. It didn't feel overly crowded or that the guests were packed in like sardines. Some of the other reviews state that beach access is difficult and that the resort feels 'run down,' but we strongly disagree. The beach is indeed public but there was never an issue with space or being "overrun" by locals.

In summary, we met a couple there who were also married there 25 years ago the same week we were who had returned, and we met countless couples who had stayed at various resorts on St Lucia until finding Rendezvous and they have only stayed there since - some have returned faithfully for 13+ years in a row! We met another couple from London and a friendship quickly blossomed and we were honored to have them stand up for us as witnesses of our wedding.

Yes, the resort attendees are about 2/3 English and 1/3 Americans...we found ourselves saying "bloody" this and "bloody" that a LOT after we returned! :) We had an extraordinary wedding/honeymoon/vacation, and we already have our dates picked out to return to Rendezvous next year for our one-year anniversary!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JCW31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
BodyHoliday Saint Lucia
#1 of 4 in Cap Estate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,352 reviews

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!